1Likes
  • 1 Post By markmon1

post #1 of 8 Old 10-15-2018, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Atmos sound issue in gaming

Hi guys, just got my Denon 4400H avr setup with my HTPC for gaming. I connected my PC to the AVR using HDMI.
Everything works fine except when I use Dolby Atmos for gaming. I play Overwatch and everytime I died, the screen faded black for a sec, and the sound got cut off too for a sec, then back on.
This only happened in Dolby Atmos, if I used other sound modes like Dolby Surround, Auro 3D, Multi Channel In, etc....then everything works perfectly.

Does anyone have this issue with Overwatch in Dolby Atmos?

Any infos would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-15-2018, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jincuteguy View Post
Hi guys, just got my Denon 4400H avr setup with my HTPC for gaming. I connected my PC to the AVR using HDMI.
Everything works fine except when I use Dolby Atmos for gaming. I play Overwatch and everytime I died, the screen faded black for a sec, and the sound got cut off too for a sec, then back on.
This only happened in Dolby Atmos, if I used other sound modes like Dolby Surround, Auro 3D, Multi Channel In, etc....then everything works perfectly.

I do not own a denon( pioneer 1131) or that specific game but I have 2 height speakers that windows will not even recognize as an option with dolby atmos. So I just use the simulate option from 5.1 to atmos. It does a pretty good job as I can hear affects above my head. I'm sure you have something similar on your receiver.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-15-2018, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jincuteguy View Post

I do not own a denon( pioneer 1131) or that specific game but I have 2 height speakers that windows will not even recognize as an option with dolby atmos. So I just use the simulate option from 5.1 to atmos. It does a pretty good job as I can hear affects above my head. I'm sure you have something similar on your receiver.
What do you mean simulate 5.1 to atmos? Like set the sound in Windows to 5.1 instead of Atmos? Then use Dolby Surround ( dolby atmos for non atmos content)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-19-2018, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Overwatch only supports Atmos for headphones, which is likely just another form of virtual surround for headphones. I have an older Denon AVR-3806, I run it in direct / multi-channel in mode with HDMI from my GPU; I'd recommend those settings for PC games since Atmos is redundant for gaming with discrete surround speakers since games have used object-oriented audio positioning for as long as games could output stereo.

As jin said, Windows doesn't even recognize the height speakers, since Windows doesn't recognize them, games can't specifically use those speakers, so you would need to use whatever surround matrixing (or upmixing) options are on the receiver. I'm not a fan of surround upmixing since you can often hear it doing its funny business, so I'd avoid it for gaming.

Overwatch supports proper 7-channel surround for speakers, so I'd stick to the direct multi-in options of the receiver. Also, run the Odyssey setup if you've not already done so, that's a major help in balancing out the levels for gaming. Don't use the pure direct option if your receiver has it, the direct or multi-channel in options will take the subwoofer into consideration and mix to it.

PC Game Audio - http://satsun.org/audio/
post #5 of 8 Old 10-19-2018, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked: 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoye View Post
Overwatch only supports Atmos for headphones, which is likely just another form of virtual surround for headphones. I have an older Denon AVR-3806, I run it in direct / multi-channel in mode with HDMI from my GPU; I'd recommend those settings for PC games since Atmos is redundant for gaming with discrete surround speakers since games have used object-oriented audio positioning for as long as games could output stereo.

As jin said, Windows doesn't even recognize the height speakers, since Windows doesn't recognize them, games can't specifically use those speakers, so you would need to use whatever surround matrixing (or upmixing) options are on the receiver. I'm not a fan of surround upmixing since you can often hear it doing its funny business, so I'd avoid it for gaming.

Overwatch supports proper 7-channel surround for speakers, so I'd stick to the direct multi-in options of the receiver. Also, run the Odyssey setup if you've not already done so, that's a major help in balancing out the levels for gaming. Don't use the pure direct option if your receiver has it, the direct or multi-channel in options will take the subwoofer into consideration and mix to it.
Sorry (not trying to be rude), but most of this is wrong. If you install the dolby atmos app for windows 10, it adds an atmos configuration to the speaker configuration (in mmsys.cpl) and that can be used for overwatch for real atmos via windows without a headset.
SuperFist likes this.

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-19-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Sorry (not trying to be rude), but most of this is wrong. If you install the dolby atmos app for windows 10, it adds an atmos configuration to the speaker configuration (in mmsys.cpl) and that can be used for overwatch for real atmos via windows without a headset.
That's good to know, but does Overwatch specify that it supports Atmos for speakers in the audio settings if you install the Atmos app and have an Atmos AVR attached? Can you verify that you're getting audio in the height speakers in Overwatch without any upmixing or matrixing enabled on the AVR?

post #7 of 8 Old 10-19-2018, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked: 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoye View Post
That's good to know, but does Overwatch specify that it supports Atmos for speakers in the audio settings if you install the Atmos app and have an Atmos AVR attached? Can you verify that you're getting audio in the height speakers in Overwatch without any upmixing or matrixing enabled on the AVR?
Yes. And overwatch in Atmos is included as a clip on the Dolby Atmos demo disk showing off specifically Atmos in games.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-19-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Yes. And overwatch in Atmos is included as a clip on the Dolby Atmos demo disk showing off specifically Atmos in games.
I can't find any evidence that Overwatch supports anything other than Atmos for headphones. Even Dolby's page only mentions headphones for Overwatch while it mentions speakers or headphones for Gears of War 4. Modern games are very specific, if a headphone output method is advertised, that usually means that the game itself supports that one specific feature. If Overwatch specifies 'Atmos headphones', that means the game's audio middleware (Wwise), completely independent of any other software installed in Windows, is outputting a stereo signal with Atmos surround virtualization, just like games that support HRTF. If you're using the Atmos app in Windows and you're getting audio in all speakers from Overwatch, the Windows app is probably up-mixing the audio output from the game, that's similar to how every 2-speaker 7.1 headphone works; additional software running in Windows mixes the audio output from the game to be output through stereo headphones. In this case, the Atmos app would be upmixing stereo Atmos output from Overwatch. I'm getting the impression that the Dolby Atmos app just upmixes; why would you need an app to use a feature that should be properly detectable and usable through an HDMI interface?

It looks like Battlefront and Battlefield 1 properly support Atmos for home theater speakers without the need of additional software:
Quote:
To experience Star Wars Battlefront in Dolby Atmos on PC, you'll need an NVIDIA® or AMD® graphics card with HDMI® output and up-to-date PC drivers.
No mention of the Atmos app there, it sounds like it's supposed to just work provided you have a recent GPU connected via HDMI to an Atmos receiver.

At this point, I think that the Windows 10 Atmos app is useless if you're expecting to get discrete Atmos output from games; what is its purpose other than to upmix? It appears that if games or media properly support Atmos for home theater, they'll determine that functionality themselves via the HDMI connection between the output device (Xbox, PlayStation, PC) and the AVR and then directly use the Atmos feature of the AVR; no Windows app necessary.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming