Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-10-2018, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unsure of how to set up my Retro consoles

Im certainly not a technical expert so im sure you guys could have a field day with this one. Okay, so I recently bought a bunch of retro consoles (SNES, Genesis, etc.) and plan on just buying the Everdrives for each one. That part of the plan is simple enough. As for the setup for optimal picture and audio quality...that's where I could use a little advice. All but the Genesis use the standard Red/Yellow/White while the Genesis uses the A/V connector. I plan to run all of these devices through an upscaler (Possibly OSSC or Framemeister) but I'll need to connect everything though a switch in order to make things much easier.

When looking online, I did fall in love with the idea of using cables with SCART male adapters and connecting them to an auto switching SCART switch that'll directly plug into the converter. This route is....a bit on the expensive side but from what I've researched it's one of the best ways to connect everything. Mainly because I cant find a good switch thats affordable. And I will need something with plenty of outputs. Optimally 7-8.

Ultimately, I just want whatever gives me a good picture without breaking the bank. My TV is a 40' flat screen but also 5+ years old so I dont think its will have the issues some of the newer TV's do with input lag but i cant be certain yet. If anyone out there has done a setup like this and can recommend me some hardware that can help with out it costing one of my appendages, I would be very much obliged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-16-2018, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Late reply, hopefully you'll see or maybe it will help someone else.

For legacy systems, "optimal picture quality" isn't going to be to use a an upscaler and an HD TV. It is going to be by using a Sony Trinition CRT (consumer or pro model, or other Pro RGB sets by other compnaies) and SCART/RGB. For the Sega Genesis, model 1, you can get a SCART adapter for it. Then you need an additional SCART to RGB or component adapter. That to the TV will give you a better video quality than using an upscaler, even Micomsofts' XRGB kits. For teh Genesis, the SCART/RGB adapter combo will run at most $80, but finding a proper Set may be a more difficult task. If you decide to go the route of CRT, I would recommend 19-20" set due to weight but if you're Atlas you can go for the big ones. Also, you need to make sure that whatever furniture you put the set onto can withstand the weight. Modern home entertainment furniture can be quite flimsy.

I can't say about the Super Nintendo.

AACD
post #3 of 3 Old 10-31-2018, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Red/Yellow/White RCA implies composite video, which the OSSC will not work with.

That's ok though, composite video is horrible! Have your consoles modded to provide an RGB signal if necessary and/or purchase SCART cables for all of them, then route that through the SCART switch and into the OSSC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming