Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-23-2018, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Angry No 5.1 Audio From PC but From Xbox, yes?!? WTF!!

So here's the problem I've seen a lot of people having: Windows will not recognise 5.1 speakers when connecting my PC directly to my Samsung 4K HDR TV through HDMI.

I have tried changing EDID, creating custom INFs for the TV nothing works. The only way I managed to work was to connect an SPDIF straight the amplifier (a Yamaha one) then I started having sound breaking issues and had to get an optical cable signal booster. This is how I managed to get 5.1 audio from the PC to my TV.

Until something happened today that got me scratching my head...

You see, the TV has 3 HDMI ports. Port 3 is ARC is where the Yamaha receiver is connected to. Port 2 is the one the old Xbox 360 is connected to, and port 1 is for the PC. My Nvidia Shield, Virgin TiVo and Bluray player go directly into the Yamaha receiver.

Because this TV has a satellite input and due to some channels disappearing from Virgin recently I was using the internal Freesat to watch a bunch of channels and for that I turned on ARC. The sound from these channels was being sent to the receiver via HDMI port 3.

And then, today, out of the blue I decided to turn on my old dusty Xbox 360 to play an old game. And to my surprise, I got 5.1 Dolby Digital audio!!! Why!? How!?

Beautiful 5.1 DD Audio is going in through the HDMI port 2 and being sent out again to the receiver via ARC on HDMI port 3.

Can someone please explain to me why 5.1 audio works this way but not from the PC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-27-2018, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Arc doesnt work that way with a pc. You need to elaborate on your pc components and ports availible via motherboard and or gpu before I can help you.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-27-2018, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Can you connect your PC to your AVR via HDMI?

TV's generally do not present themselves as 5.1 audio outputs to Windows in my experience, even if TV's have ARC functionality or DD+ passthrough etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Tags
5.1 , arc , Dolby Digital , windows , xbox 360