Forum Jump: 
 98Likes

post #391 of 414 Old 01-09-2019, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
best dsp for fire tv

The movies I can stream with Amazon fire TV seem to be all in Dolby Digital plus. What do you think is the best DSP mode for that on the 685?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 414 Old 01-09-2019, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Are the receivers all in the same tuning mode, i.e. "Auto" or "Manual?" There are a few low power stations in my area that, even with a powered HD antenna, I can only get clearly when the tuner is set in Manual mode.

The 7850 does have this convention, apparently, just "selecting a frequency" (OM p. 65). When you're on 87.7, does the 7850 show "Tuned?" Does it show "Stereo?"

If all the receivers are tied into the outdoor antenna in parallel, try disconnecting all but the 7850. If the signal now comes in okay on the 7850, signal strength to that AVR may be the problem.
I think I have discovered the issue. While tuning to 87.7 I set the FM Mode to Mono. Then the station started to play. Only downside to that is that FM Mode is global so I'd really rather not have to turn that on and off depending on the station that I tune.

Did a little more digging on the other receivers and in my car and determined that although the signal is a strong signal, it is broadcast in mono! (Who does that these days???) Anyway, it appears the TSR-7850 is treating that mono signal as non-stereo and thus does not play unless the mode is set to mono. It would be nice to have the receiver treat a strong signal as tune-able even if it is broadcast in mono.
post #393 of 414 Old 01-09-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnagyg View Post
i just replaced my denon 1909 with the yamaha 685 and noticed that the sub no longer turns itself on when set to auto. is there anything in the yamaha setting that controls that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnagyg View Post
The movies I can stream with Amazon fire TV seem to be all in Dolby Digital plus. What do you think is the best DSP mode for that on the 685?
When you run YPAO, keep adjusting the gain on an active subwoofer, and repeating teh YPAO test, until the receiver sets the sub level to 0 dB to +2 dB. This will make the LINE OUT signal to the sub a little stronger. if that doesn't do it, turn the sub's gain a wee bit more, and boost the sub level on the AVR.

Generally, stick with "Straight" for multichannel audio and music, and Sur Decode for 2.0 content (older movies). Cinema DSP modes add processing and aural simulation to the sound, you can play with it, or not. Pure Direct will eliminate any of the YPAO and tone settings, just about any processing. Use that to send the signal directly to the speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofete View Post
I think I have discovered the issue. While tuning to 87.7 I set the FM Mode to Mono. Then the station started to play. Only downside to that is that FM Mode is global so I'd really rather not have to turn that on and off depending on the station that I tune.

Did a little more digging on the other receivers and in my car and determined that although the signal is a strong signal, it is broadcast in mono! (Who does that these days???) Anyway, it appears the TSR-7850 is treating that mono signal as non-stereo and thus does not play unless the mode is set to mono. It would be nice to have the receiver treat a strong signal as tune-able even if it is broadcast in mono.
Yep, in my older receiver, on a weak station here is tuned while the AVR is in "Auto," it may reject the station because it's only strong enough to decode in mono, so I have to put the AVR in "manual tuning" and the station comes in.

I realize you say the station is strong, but.... From your description, you've got an outdoor antenna and splitters and long cable runs involved. Try putting the AVR on a table outside with teh supplied wire antenna and headphones and see how the station comes in.

If that was it, I'd guess you'd need a signal booster or something on the incoming roof antenna line. Not my area of expertise (I'm sure we have a section here at AVS).

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
New here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 414 Old 01-11-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anybody figured out how Scene/HDMI Control is supposed to work?
Let's say I want to have CEC ON only for "TV Viewing" scene for ARC to work and all other scenes better have CEC OFF so Harmony remote is not getting confused by wrong power states.

I set Setup/HDMI Control=>ON, Scene/TV/HDMI Control=>ON, Scene/Movie/HDMI Control=>OFF.
If I start with TV scene all inputs are set correctly and ARC is working. Then I switch to Movie scene but receiver audio remains locked to ARC and it can be switched to proper input only if I disable main CEC switch.

Last edited by andriy; 01-11-2019 at 07:44 AM.
post #395 of 414 Old 01-11-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andriy View Post
Has anybody figured out how Scene/HDMI Control is supposed to work?
Let's say I want to have CEC ON only for "TV Viewing" scene for ARC to work and all other scenes better have CEC OFF so Harmony remote is not getting confused by wrong power states.

I set Setup/HDMI Control=>ON, Scene/TV/HDMI Control=>ON, Scene/Movie/HDMI Control=>OFF.
If I start with TV scene all inputs are set correctly and ARC is working. Then I switch to Movie scene but receiver audio remains locked to ARC and it can be switched to proper input only if I disable main CEC switch.
In some manufacturer components, HDMI-ARC is only enabled if HDMI-CEC (aka "HDMI Control") is enabled. If you turn it off, then ARC may stop working.

Unless I've misunderstood your description....

New here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #396 of 414 Old 01-11-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
In some manufacturer components, HDMI-ARC is only enabled if HDMI-CEC (aka "HDMI Control") is enabled. If you turn it off, then ARC may stop working.

Unless I've misunderstood your description....
Precisely, CEC and ARC work only together.
Yamaha has the option to turn CEC on/off per scene which doesn't seem to have any effect - only main CEC control makes any impact
post #397 of 414 Old 01-11-2019, 05:03 PM

Hi all,

I bought my RX-V585 from Richer Sounds to go with my new LG TV

Anyway, when I got the amp I made sure it had dolby vision to go along with the TV - I had read somewhere it was due a f/w update and the RS site says it's DV compatible too

I've set it all up today and when i play Netflix via the TV's in built app, sure enough I see the Dolby vision symbol

However, my fire stick connected to the amp refuses to do so - Just says HDR

Does this amp NOT have Dolby Vision - The f/w says it's the latest (1.49) - the manual also says it's HDR compatible with (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HLG)

Is it the HDMI cable i'm using from the amp to the TV? (It's quite old)

Last edited by Cumin1980; 01-11-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Made clearer
post #398 of 414 Old 01-11-2019, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Make sure the cable from the AVR is "Certified." Also: I'm not sure if the Amazon Fire stick is DV compatible, have you confirmed that?

post #399 of 414 Old 01-12-2019, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
andriy :
it is better to switch off ARC in system and use optical out from tv to receiver's AUDIO1. Then in your tv scene assign input to AUDIO1. I have LG oled and I have to set sound output to internal speakers + optical out in TV's menu. So when watching TV alone without sound from yamaha, I have sound from TV, when I start scene 1 (in my case this is satellite TV, as I only have STB, no aerial) I hear sound only from yamaha. For this I also connected STB with toslink for sound to AUDIO2. STB is connected with HDMI for picture to HDMI1. In setup (yamaha) menu I assigned sound for HDMI1 to optical input AUDIO2.
For bluray I have OPPO connected to HDMI2 (scene 2) Scene 2 has HDMI control checked, OPPO has enabled full CEC for HDMI port I connected. So when I start with scene 2 , OPPO is switched ON and all inputs are working as I want...

Also sometimes you have to switch all devices off for some time before testing if it is working correctly.

LG 55EG910V, Yamaha RX-V685, DALI Oberon3 + Oberon Vokal, DALI Zensor Pico, XTZ 10.17 Sub, Oppo BD-103, Schiit Vali, Denon AHD2000 + Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3, Phonak Audeo 121, XLO cables , CalMAN 5 Enthusiast,i1D3, TED's Calibration Blu Ray Disc v1.1
post #400 of 414 Old 01-12-2019, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Yamaha support page added documents for
-Additional Features(Bluetooth Transmission function)
-Additional Features(MusicCast Surround function)
ChromeJob likes this.

LG 55EG910V, Yamaha RX-V685, DALI Oberon3 + Oberon Vokal, DALI Zensor Pico, XTZ 10.17 Sub, Oppo BD-103, Schiit Vali, Denon AHD2000 + Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3, Phonak Audeo 121, XLO cables , CalMAN 5 Enthusiast,i1D3, TED's Calibration Blu Ray Disc v1.1
post #401 of 414 Old 01-12-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Official" Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsut View Post
Yamaha support page added documents for
-Additional Features(Bluetooth Transmission function)
-Additional Features(MusicCast Surround function)
Thanks for catching that. That’s the European 685 product page. I checked, those manuals are tagged for multiple *85 AVRs (as well as RX-A*80 models), and are available on the US site as well.

New manuals available
Bluetooth transmissions functions
MusicCast Surround Speakers functions

Last edited by ChromeJob; 01-12-2019 at 01:26 PM.
post #402 of 414 Old 01-13-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Make sure the cable from the AVR is "Certified." Also: I'm not sure if the Amazon Fire stick is DV compatible, have you confirmed that?
That's exactly what it was. Was actually disappointed as I only got it last year

I've since upgraded over the weekend to the new one and DV does indeed work
post #403 of 414 Old 01-13-2019, 12:27 PM

So I have an odd issue - My sub isn't kicking in all the time

I'm running my amp (v585) with the "Kef easter egg" and Kef T2 sub in a 5.1 set-up

i've noticed the issue initially when I was watching Sky Sports (Football/soccer). It's on their HD channel so it's in 5.1 but my sub isn't being engaged/used

I switched over to Birdbox on Netflix which kicked in the active light on the sub, I then switched back, the sub stays on for a while and then goes off again

To further confuse things I switched to my PS4 and fired up a game but once again the sub light stays off. I've tried with DVDs and BluRays - sub stays off

I've played a video from my laptop (albeit a youtube video for dolby digital test) - Once again, no sub kicking in

I've tried the Amazon Prime app on my fire stick and started Suicide Squad - Yup, you got it. No sub

Does this just simply mean there isn't a signal in the frequency range being sent to the sub to wake the sub up, how do I change this so it kicks in?

If I change my crossover frequency to something lower (The AVR set it to 110Hz), will it help kick it in?

I dont recall what the frequency setting was on my old Denon but the sub kicked in all the time

EDIT: Fixed it

Just came back on-line to say i'd sorted it

When I ran the YPAO I must have not checked the settings as my sub was at -3db (why would it do that/set it so low)?

Anyway, I cranked it up a bit (2db - Not sure why I chose that but I did) and my blue light is once again lit up when I watch anything

Last edited by Cumin1980; 01-13-2019 at 01:42 PM.
post #404 of 414 Old 01-14-2019, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumin1980 View Post
... Just came back on-line to say i'd sorted it
When I ran the YPAO I must have not checked the settings as my sub was at -3db (why would it do that/set it so low)?
Anyway, I cranked it up a bit (2db - Not sure why I chose that but I did) and my blue light is once again lit up when I watch anything
I presume this is an active (self-powered) sub. You probably have the gain on the subwoofer set high so that during YPAO testing the AVR attenuated the LFE signal a bit. This can result in the "auto-on" circuit not always getting a strong enough signal to come out of "sleep."

Turn the gain down until YPAO sets it to about 0 dB. If it still doesn't come out of suspend from time to time, turn the gain down further and set the level to +2 dB. If the sub is too loud (or too quiet) for a particular movie or music selection, resist the temptation to adjust the gain on the sub. Instead use the tools in the AVR to boost or quiet the sub.
rakstr likes this.

post #405 of 414 Old 01-14-2019, 03:16 AM

Quote:
I presume this is an active (self-powered) sub. You probably have the gain on the subwoofer set high so that during YPAO testing the AVR attenuated the LFE signal a bit. This can result in the "auto-on" circuit not always getting a strong enough signal to come out of "sleep."

Turn the gain down until YPAO sets it to about 0 dB. If it still doesn't come out of suspend from time to time, turn the gain down further and set the level to +2 dB. If the sub is too loud (or too quiet) for a particular movie or music selection, resist the temptation to adjust the gain on the sub. Instead use the tools in the AVR to boost or quiet the sub.
The sub is a Kef T2 - It has got its own power cable

On the sub I have 3 switches.....1) Bass boost which i've left at 0db. It has options of 0, +6db, or +12db. 2) Phase, which I have left on 0. and 3) Power, which is left on Auto

The way I turn the sub up/down, is indeed exactly how you say - I go to the volume control on the AVR and change from there

I dont have a gain setting on the sub. Is that same as bass boost?
post #406 of 414 Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumin1980 View Post
I dont have a gain setting on the sub. Is that same as bass boost?
Possibly. You’d have to review the manual for your subwoofer.

Sounds like the sub “runs hot.” If you can’t turn the gain down, you could just leave the power to ON. Many do this, for years, without undue wear on the subwoofer’s amp, and the power consumption should be negligible when there’s nothing playing.

post #407 of 414 Old 01-14-2019, 08:44 PM

Liked: 12
Dolby Atmos confusion

I wonder if someone can clarify the proper settings for the TSR 7850 regarding Dolby Atmos and the use of a 7.1.2 speaker configuration.

When playing a Dolby Atmos disk, the unit displays “Atmos/DTHD.” It also indicates all speakers EXCEPT the left and right surround back speakers are active, with info saying specifically that the Output Channel is 5.0.2.

My Speaker Setting for Power Amp Assign is “Basic”, with a confusing (at least to me) indication: the “Sur.Back” speakers have orange boxes around them and are designated “Extra SP2”. My Atmos (F.PRNS) speakers are boxed in green as Extra SP1. It also has a descriptive below “Select Automatically”, with a bi-directional arrow between the two, which I don’t understand at all.

So two questions: how do I ensure that the unit is outputting Amos, and not DTHD? And how do I make sure my rear speakers are operating when using Atmos?

I know the manual makes reference to the inability to support sound from the Presence and Rear speakers simultaneously—is that the reason for what I’m seeing?

Thanks!

Last edited by calessi; 01-14-2019 at 09:43 PM.
post #408 of 414 Old 01-15-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Official" Yamaha RX-V*85/TSR-*850 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by calessi View Post
…My Speaker Setting for Power Amp Assign is “Basic”, with a confusing (at least to me) indication: the “Sur.Back” speakers have orange boxes around them and are designated “Extra SP2”. My Atmos (F.PRNS) speakers are boxed in green as Extra SP1. It also has a descriptive below “Select Automatically”, with a bi-directional arrow between the two, which I don’t understand at all.
So two questions: how do I ensure that the unit is outputting Amos, and not DTHD? And how do I make sure my rear speakers are operating when using Atmos?
I know the manual makes reference to the inability to support sound from the Presence and Rear speakers simultaneously—is that the reason for what I’m seeing?
Thanks!
Yes. It’s a 7 channel amp.

Atmos is object data that’s encoded into a Dolby TrueHD audio stream, so that control panel indication is correct.

post #409 of 414 Old 01-15-2019, 10:59 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Yes. It’s a 7 channel amp.

Atmos is object data that’s encoded into a Dolby TrueHD audio stream, so that control panel indication is correct.
Thank you...recalling that it's a seven amplifier receiver makes much of what I'm seeing make sense.

So with a Dolby Atmos stream, seeing iconography on the front panel that depicts all speakers except the two rear surrounds is completely normal?
post #410 of 414 Old 01-15-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI the manufacter rebate is back at Costco on the TSR-7850 thru 2/03 or cancelled. See the Deals thread for details.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
nekoavs likes this.

post #411 of 414 Old 01-16-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi there ,
I have 685 and I want to know how I could see my materials details like dolby or dolby plus or even if it is a stereo, cause the only thing showing is how many speakers is working and I have to go to the setting menu to be able to see more details, any other easier way ? Thanks.
post #412 of 414 Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabdoub81 View Post
Hi there ,
I have 685 and I want to know how I could see my materials details like dolby or dolby plus or even if it is a stereo, cause the only thing showing is how many speakers is working and I have to go to the setting menu to be able to see more details, any other easier way ? Thanks.
You have a button directly on the AVR itself to cycle through the info you want displayed .
ChromeJob likes this.
post #413 of 414 Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Also on the 7850 remote there is a button with 4 lines in the upper right of the up/down/right/left pad in the center.
That takes you to a menu where you select "System Information" (one up arrow to get to the bottom of the list) and then hit enter and scroll using the right arrow. Sounds like a lot of buttons but it's not. I attached one of the screens. the stuff in the middle is "YTTV stats for nerds". Yamaha info is in the "Wrap around".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabdoub81 View Post
Hi there ,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190113_145717.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	794.1 KB
ID:	2512046  
post #414 of 414 Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
does anyone know if i can have musiccast app installed in 2 phones. I am not able to do that , when i try it with other phone 1st one disconnects. Also every few days i have to reconfigure the musiccast app. The wifi module is unable to scan for any wifi and I have to use the ios share to reactivate the wifi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
bluetooth , hdmi 2.1 , rx-v385 , Yamaha , yamaha rx