Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #151 of 184 Old 11-30-2018, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I just purchased a TX-NR787 myself a few days ago...

Jeremy1234, funny part is I upgraded from a TX-SR608 myself...

On Sunday I picked up a Samsung NU8000 75" UHD TV to replace my Mitsubishi WD73C9 73" DLP with every intent on using the TX-SR608 via HDMI ARC with a FireTV Stick 4k being used to feed media in my home theater.

Well, as it turns out, Samsung decided to hamstring their entire 2018 lineup by pulling DTS as well as not allowing for bitstreaming passthrough via ARC or optical. So, I found myself in the hunt for a new receiver. I already had a 9.1 setup, so at first I looked at the TX-NR676 (because of the deep discount they are selling for) and I asked the local ATMOS guy at Best Buy if that receiver does 9.2 the way my 608 did (I configured the 608 for 7.2 with back surrounds and front highs on the Zone2 output for a full 9.2 configuration), and he stated that it is ATMOS so they must... WRONG! It only has 7.2 channels.

So, back went the TX-NR676 and I picked up the TX-NR787 for full 9.2 output.

Got home, hooked it up and for the first hour I fought to get the damn receiver to talk to the TV via CEC. I ended up having to reset both the TV and the receiver and unplugging the TVs HDMI 4 input (used for ARC) and then plugging it back in, having the TV try to detect the receiver, then go into the receivers setup menu and tell it to turn on HDMI CEC which causes the receiver to detect as well. Once I did that the TV saw the receiver (to verify it comes up as "AV Receiver" on the Samsung as well, vs the "Onkyo TX-SR608" name the other one comes up as) and the receiver saw the TV as well as my FireTV Stick 4k as "Player".

After that everything seemed to work just fine, as when I hit the home button the FireTV remote it switched to the STRM BOX input and when I switched the TV to Air Live TV it switched the receiver automatically to the TV input (I also configured ARC so I got audio for OTA broadcasts on the receiver).

Now, the one weird thing I noticed is if I use the FireTV Stick 4k remote to turn everything on, it all goes smoothly. If I have OTA broadcasts playing on the TV when I turn it on, again the TV and receiver turns on together. But if I have the FireTV configured as my last input, if I turn on the TV, the receiver does not turn on until I go to either a) turn the volume up or down or b) hit the home button on the FireTV remote.

I just find this behavior quite strange, since when I had the TX-SR608 configured into the mix CEC just flat out worked normal (turn anything on, all of it comes on, turn any component off, all of it goes off). Now I guess I can understand that Onkyo decided to allow the receiver to turn off independently of the TV because of their HDMI passthrough configuration, but I would hope they would have a way to shut that off (and if there is, I haven't been able to find that config yet).

Beyond the HDMI CEC funkiness I absolutely love both the TV and receiver. I know what most say about the auto-setup via mic that leaves the sub level way too low. I just end up halving the setup DB reduction and it seems to being it back to a reasonable level.

I also had a very strange thing happen in regards to connectivity, in that I originally set it up via wifi (since I needed to add a 5 port switch to support the new TV and receivers connectivity) and it updated via wifi and all was well. Once I added the 5 port switch I couldn't get the darn thing to be consistent via ethernet for connectivity. I switched cables, even switches to a known good one and still the same thing. Once I did a Clean reset and started over did it all of a sudden have rock solid ethernet connectivity, but I do find it really strange that it would flake out like it did after initially going wired.

In regards to the TV I am finding everything seems to work fine except for their "TV Plus" not finding any streaming channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 184 Old 12-13-2018, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Just got this receiver myself and so far I'm not impressed. It sounds good, but I kind of hate everything aside from the sound - the menu's, configuration, the UI, the LCD display, etc.

I use my TV's built in apps a fair bit, and it's such a hassle with this receiver. The receiver keeps changing inputs on its own away from the TV, and not just once but 2-4 times in a row. Or it will be set to a different input and not pick up the TV's audio via ARC - and switching the receiver to the TV input manually doesn't help because TV input can only be set to use analog or optical audio. So I have to switch off the TV ARC input to some other input, then switch back to the TV, and hope that the receiver doesn't decide to switch off the TV again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000 View Post
I just got mine calibrated. One thing that is odd is my old Onkyo had my speakers in the negative area but the new receiver have most of the speakers set to +10! My old listening volume was around 32 and now I feel that I need to have it cranked up to 50 for the same volume level. It could be because of the 2 additional Atmos speakers. Anyway, wanted to see if anyone is running into the same issue. I have all Klipsch speakers so they are fairly efficient so I wasn't expecting the results after the calibration.
Same exact here with Elac Debut and Sony Core speakers. I have the initial startup volume set at 40, but I find for movies and shows I need to raise the volume up to 55-60. It doesn't really concern me as I feel like everyone does volume scales differently. On a Yamaha it might be -20db, while on a Sony it might be 26, and on this Onkyo it's 55. /shrug
post #153 of 184 Old 12-13-2018, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 455
On your Onkyo, change the the volume display settings to display relative dbs and that will be the same for any brands when properly calibrated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 184 Old 12-14-2018, 05:11 PM

In regards to ARC/CEC control that is fully dependent on the TV in question and the level of CEC integration it wants to automate.

I have tried mine with my 75UN8000 Samsung, my 65UK7700 LG and a 55" TCL and all act differently.

One thing that works flat out is if I go to TV mode it switches the TX-NR787 to TV ARC and uses ARC from there on out, in broadcast TV or apps.

I will say the Samsung and LG have the best integration, the TCL is just basic input switching and volume control.

One thing I will mention is I have not had the weirdness in regards to calibration. I have had both a SLS Audio Q-Line Gold 9.1 setup, and now a Klipsch Reference IV 9.2 (7.2.2 actually) setup on it and have run calibration at least 2 dozen times and it always puts everything in the negatives as far as levels are concerned. Maybe if you have a really mismatched set of speakers it would need to put some positive and the other negative to be "in range" but both the SLS Audio and Klipsch speakers I have used are very efficient and all within 3-4db of sensitivity. The SLS Audio were all the exact same speakers for the 9 channels and it calibrated them all as the same (minus deviations for boundry reinforcement from certain speakers being too close to the ceiling or outside walls).

Last edited by dbphelps; 12-15-2018 at 08:05 AM.
post #155 of 184 Old 12-23-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I love the receiver but, I must say, I've had massive problems with ARC/CEC as well as streaming bluetooth or wireless stuff to it.

For the ARC - I will go to play my Apple TV and it will suddenly switch from the Apple TV to TV to the Blu-ray player...and sometimes back to the ATV. It's a total mess and I'd say it works 1 or 2 times out of 10. It's almost not even worth having it.

I can't remember which firmware it was but now it's a constant fight when connecting my phone to the device via BT or wireless. I have to do a complete reset, unplugging it for 5 minutes to stream music. It has no problems going to the Apple TV.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #156 of 184 Old 12-23-2018, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post
I love the receiver but, I must say, I've had massive problems with ARC/CEC as well as streaming bluetooth or wireless stuff to it.

For the ARC - I will go to play my Apple TV and it will suddenly switch from the Apple TV to TV to the Blu-ray player...and sometimes back to the ATV. It's a total mess and I'd say it works 1 or 2 times out of 10. It's almost not even worth having it.

I can't remember which firmware it was but now it's a constant fight when connecting my phone to the device via BT or wireless. I have to do a complete reset, unplugging it for 5 minutes to stream music. It has no problems going to the Apple TV.

When trying to stream wireless are you selecting the NET as input? I had issues until I figured that out.

I think I’m on the latest FW and ARC seems to play nice so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900F
Sony UBP-X700
Onkyo TX-NR787
Def Tech CS9040 & BP9020 x2
post #157 of 184 Old 12-23-2018, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by theike View Post
When trying to stream wireless are you selecting the NET as input? I had issues until I figured that out.

I think I’m on the latest FW and ARC seems to play nice so far.

Yep. I've tried it using both bluetooth and airplay. Have the same issues. There's zero rhyme or reason as to when it works and when it doesn't.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #158 of 184 Old 12-23-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post
Yep. I've tried it using both bluetooth and airplay. Have the same issues. There's zero rhyme or reason as to when it works and when it doesn't.

Well that is super frustrating.

Sony XBR55X900F
Sony UBP-X700
Onkyo TX-NR787
post #159 of 184 Old 12-24-2018, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 59
TO ALL:

I can now confirm that both my Sammy devices | MU8000 & UBD-M8500 |play HDR10+......

My Onkyo 787 does not.. Had to connect BD direct to TV....Beautiful Planet disc...... A stunning video experience. DTS:X audio not usable, only PCM.

Can the second HDMI port be used in some way to get full audio? The M8500 only has one HDMI out.

Samsung UN82MU8000 4K UHD TV | Onkyo TX NR787 9.2 AVR with Klipsch R-15M L&R and RC-62 II BED speakers | Klipsch G-12 surrounds | 4 Klipsch R-14SA Front & Rear heights | Dual Polk Audio PSW505 Subs | 5.1.4 Atmos system | miniDSP 2x4 | Samsung UBD M9500 BD Player | FireTV 4K | Logitech Hub | TIVO BOLT OTA 849000
post #160 of 184 Old 12-24-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck666 View Post
TO ALL:

I can now confirm that both my Sammy devices | MU8000 & UBD-M8500 |play HDR10+......

My Onkyo 787 does not.. Had to connect BD direct to TV....Beautiful Planet disc...... A stunning video experience. DTS:X audio not usable, only PCM.

Can the second HDMI port be used in some way to get full audio? The M8500 only has one HDMI out.
You will need a player to have 2nd HDMI out, not the receiver. So, you need either a new player or new receiver.

post #161 of 184 Old 12-24-2018, 03:01 PM

Fox,

That's was my fear.. Damn, just bought the receiver; 4 months ago..
Edit...

Found a new M9500 for $227 shipped. Dual HDMI
Now to figure how to connect?

Merry Christmas to all.

Samsung UN82MU8000 4K UHD TV | Onkyo TX NR787 9.2 AVR with Klipsch R-15M L&R and RC-62 II BED speakers | Klipsch G-12 surrounds | 4 Klipsch R-14SA Front & Rear heights | Dual Polk Audio PSW505 Subs | 5.1.4 Atmos system | miniDSP 2x4 | Samsung UBD M9500 BD Player | FireTV 4K | Logitech Hub | TIVO BOLT OTA 849000

Last edited by Chuck666; 12-24-2018 at 08:13 PM. Reason: NEW PLAN
post #162 of 184 Old 12-25-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck666 View Post
TO ALL:

I have to ask, are you sure it is not an issue with the UBD-M8500? Like some sort of handshaking?

The TX-NR787 does not process the signal at all, it is all passthrough with only an overlay, if you have it configured for an overlay.

Try turning the OSD off on the 787 and see if it doesn't just passthrough without issue.

That was one of my main reasons for wanting the 787, is that it shouldn't mess with the signal.
post #163 of 184 Old 12-25-2018, 09:24 PM

Not sure on your question of turning OSD off. Don't remember a setting for that.

Also, the 787 spec sheet clearly says HDR-10, which means? What? Some sort of video processing must exist? It's over my expertise, for sure....

post #164 of 184 Old 12-26-2018, 08:17 AM

The receiver must able to identify and support pass through the specific video spec. IIRC, this receiver is designed to pass through HDR 10 and Dobly Video only. HDR10+ is too new to be supported.

post #165 of 184 Old 12-26-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
The receiver must able to identify and support pass through the specific video spec. IIRC, this receiver is designed to pass through HDR 10 and Dobly Video only. HDR10+ is too new to be supported.

This was my thought too. I hadn’t even heard of HDR10+ yet. So unless they can offer it via firmware update.

Sony XBR55X900F
Sony UBP-X700
Onkyo TX-NR787
post #166 of 184 Old 12-26-2018, 10:32 AM

HDR10+ is mainly Samsung's cheap alternative to Dolby Vision so that they don't have to pay royalty to Dolby. It's late to the game and I was too surprised that there are actually discs released to support it.

post #167 of 184 Old 12-26-2018, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
A local chain often discounts Denons (legit dealer but I want to obey the no price talk) so I'm wondering if this Onkyo will be available for under MSRP locally, otherwise I'm not sure if the 787 will be better than the 4400 if the price difference is relatively small (yes I know the MSRPs are radically different).
Was planning on the 777 for BF and also the 787, but lusted for the 830 because it has something similar to Audessey XT in my broken Denon x4200 (lights up but no sound). Today just picked up an RZ830 on a price match close to 787 MSRP and will open tonight.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #168 of 184 Old 12-30-2018, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone know if there is a way to know if your speakers wires are reversed? On my older Yammy it told you which speaker was out of phase so you could switch the wires but on my new Onkyo I dont see any indification when running the auto calibration system.
theike likes this.
post #169 of 184 Old 01-10-2019, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Just got this AVR and wanted some advice on setup. (Tthis thread looks like the closest thing to an owner's thread. Maybe we should start a dedicated owner's thread?)

Does anybody have any tips or tricks that are worth knowing before I roll up my sleeves to get this installed?

I'm upgrading from the Yamaha TSR-7810... I didnt like that the Yamaha couldnt power all of the surround speakers so I decided to upgrade to this Onkyo.

For speakers I'm using two sets of these: http://www.harmanaudio.com/HKTS+16BQ.html which means I have 10 speakers and two subwoofers.

Not to the waste the extra satellite speaker and subwoofer, I wired two speakers (for center channel) in parallel and the subwoofers in parallel also (since there is only one subwoofer out). I know it's not great for the amp but the Yamaha seemed to handle it well and it sounded great having subwoofers on opposite sides of the room, so I'm hoping this will work ok with the Onkyo also...

any advice appreciated!
post #170 of 184 Old 01-11-2019, 06:29 PM

Two subs are not a problem because that is line level, not to mention the AVR already has two subs outs wired this way.

Two center speakers in parrel means they are effectively 4ohm load on that channel. Make sure you configured the speaker setting on thAt channel to 4ohm so that you won't overload the amp.

post #171 of 184 Old 01-12-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Two subs are not a problem because that is line level, not to mention the AVR already has two subs outs wired this way.

Thanks for the reply. about "two subs out"... I could only find a single output for sub, did I miss something?
post #172 of 184 Old 01-12-2019, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Avr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewinr View Post
Thanks for the reply. about "two subs out"... I could only find a single output for sub, did I miss something?
I looked at the Onkyo TX-NR787 rear panel showing two subwoofer preouts just to the left of zone two line out.
Chuck666 likes this.
post #173 of 184 Old 01-12-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Sub pre-out only has one connector for connecting to a sub (that is true for almost all AVRs on the market) even though lots of subs has two input connector (L/R). You only need to connect one for each sub. The Onkyo is marketed as 9.2. So there definitely are two sub outs although both are wired together leaving you no way to set levels and delay separately.
post #174 of 184 Old 01-13-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
I looked at the Onkyo TX-NR787 rear panel showing two subwoofer preouts just to the left of zone two line out.

Haha, yes, it has two. I looked at the back and saw a pair of RCA jacks and my mind automatically decided a pair is a single output. I wonder why they dont provide 2 trigger outputs when they have two subwoofer outputs, but that's solved easily enough.
post #175 of 184 Old 01-13-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Two center speakers in parallel means they are effectively 4ohm load on that channel. Make sure you configured the speaker setting on that channel to 4ohm so that you won't overload the amp.

It is strange that I cannot set the impedance correctly:
- The speakers are 8 ohm but I cannot change the impedance to 8ohm, I lets met set only 4ohm or 6ohm
- I dont see any way to set impedance per channel/speaker, there is just a single setting for impedance for all speakers

Am I missing something?

The decoding of surround sound seems much better than I had on my Yamaha TSR-7810... we watched a movie last night and it the sound just sound much better than I had on the Yamaha... with the Yamaha I was constantly playing with the settings trying to make it sound better. But it seems that the settings on the Onkyo are much weaker than Yamaha. Also the Yamaha app also appears to give much more control and the remote is much better.
post #176 of 184 Old 01-13-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Haha, yes, it has two. I looked at the back and saw a pair of RCA jacks and my mind automatically decided a pair is a single output. I wonder why they dont provide 2 trigger outputs when they have two subwoofer outputs, but that's solved easily enough.
Duly noted.
post #177 of 184 Old 01-13-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
- The speakers are 8 ohm but I cannot change the impedance to 8ohm, I lets met set only 4ohm or 6ohm
- I dont see any way to set impedance per channel/speaker, there is just a single setting for impedance for all speakers

Am I missing something?

The decoding of surround sound seems much better than I had on my Yamaha TSR-7810... we watched a movie last night and it the sound just sound much better than I had on the Yamaha... with the Yamaha I was constantly playing with the settings trying to make it sound better. But it seems that the settings on the Onkyo are much weaker than Yamaha. Also the Yamaha app also appears to give much more control and the remote is much better.
Please, go back to another Yamaha AVR if it makes you happy...
post #178 of 184 Old 01-13-2019, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Am I missing something?

not sure of any receivers that allow different impendences

4ohm is for 4ohm speakers and 6 ohm is for 6-8ohm speakers.

yamaha apps are typically the best, but i think the new $20 denon app is close.

onkyo accueq advanced is good and so is the ypao with rsc on the 7810.

not sure what you mean by the settings sound weaker?

hope that helps?
post #179 of 184 Old 01-13-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
Please, go back to another Yamaha AVR if it makes you happy...

I apologize if my post was a bit muddled, I should have proof read it first.

I meant that I liked the surround sound from the Onkyo much more than on the Yamaha... on the Yamaha I often had to play with the settings to improve the sound but the Onkyo sounds better. However it does seem to me that there are many more settings on the Yamaha and the App has more features and control. Based on sound I wouldnt consider going back to the Yamaha.
post #180 of 184 Old 01-13-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
not sure of any receivers that allow different impendences

4ohm is for 4ohm speakers and 6 ohm is for 6-8ohm speakers.

yamaha apps are typically the best, but i think the new $20 denon app is close.

onkyo accueq advanced is good and so is the ypao with rsc on the 7810.

not sure what you mean by the settings sound weaker?

hope that helps?

Yes, this is helpful, thank you.

Someone had written above "Make sure you configured the speaker setting on thAt channel to 4ohm" so I assumed I could configure it on a per channel basis.

My only AVR experience with the Yamaha and a much older HK. I no longer have the HK but I just checked the Yamaha and indeed there are only settings for 8 ohm or 6 ohm for all speakers, and the manual notes that when the unit is set for 6ohm I can use 4ohm for the front speakers. (I'm not sure why it mentions only about the front speakers).

So I guess in this case I will just use it set for 6 ohm.

About "settings are weaker" what I meant was the number and type of settings available in the app and via the remote are not as rich as on the Yamaha. But as I wrote above, so far (I just watched a single streaming movie) I am happier with the result from the Onkyo.

Thanks for your advice,
Ron

Last edited by lewinr; 01-13-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors