Forum Jump: 
 965Likes

post #661 of 689 Old 12-26-2018, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Firmware update never starts?

I have an RX-V383 and the firmware is currently 1.04. I have downloaded the update for 1.08 and copied the BIN file to a USB stick but after pressing INFO as directed, the USB UPDATE notification shows and it then appears not to do anything after that.

Powering off and back on again works ut the firmware remains unchanged. There are no error notifications, it just appears not to do anything after starting the update process.

Has anyone else encountered this - are there any solutions?

Thanks!

Just replaced faulty Denon AVR-1908 receiver with a Yamaha RX-V383
TV is a Samsung UE50MU6120
Running a simple 5.1 surround arrangemet
Possibly adding a subwoofer soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 689 Old 12-26-2018, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 162
davepsu,
Can you do a “Subwoofer Crawl”? The sub could simply be in the wrong place.

Have you tried it close to a corner yet?

Last edited by Espo77; 12-26-2018 at 10:25 PM.
post #663 of 689 Old 12-27-2018, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post
davepsu,
Can you do a “Subwoofer Crawl”? The sub could simply be in the wrong place.

Have you tried it close to a corner yet?
I cannot move it from the spot it is at currently. That is literally the only spot it will work in my setup. Even though I agree there is probably a better spot there is almost 0 output. Even in the wrong spot I shouldn't have to put my ear up to the metal grill to hear it is on. I don't expect the same output as a corner placement but it is still against a wall as shown from my picture. Left of my TV is a door and right is an open area so I can't move it. And I bought that 11' piece of wood and where it shoots out is perfect to cover the top of the sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 689 Old 12-27-2018, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Official Yamaha RX-V*83 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepsu View Post
I have spent about 2 hours reading other threads about this and really found no solution before posting this so I will try this and see what current advice I can maybe gain. I just setup my new 5.1 system. Here is what I have:

Yamaha RX-V683
Ascend CMB 170 SE (Left and Right)
Ascend CMT 340 SE (Center)
Emotiva E1 L&R surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD

I am barely getting any output from my sub. Having the gain set at 50% and doing the calibration, then setting all speakers to small with 80 hz crossover you have to put your ear to the sub to see if its actually working. It is but you cant hear it at all. With the gain at like 90% it is a little better but shouldn't have to turn it up that much. When I did the calibration the last time it had the sub at -2.5 db. I have read a lot of other people having this problem with subs and Yamaha receivers. I tried both outputs on the receiver. I plugged my iPad into the sub directly and played a song and it was much louder. I attached some pictures.
On what are you basing the assessment that nothing is coming out of the subwoofer? Sounds like if YPAO sets the sub to -2.5dB, then it’s passing the test and the AVR is turning the level down.

Based on your pics of our main speakers, I’d consider setting the cross over to 120 Hz. What’s the biggest woofer in the left and right speakers, 3”? 4”?

Make sure you’re not in Pure Direct mode when playing something back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifb-online View Post
I have an RX-V383 and the firmware is currently 1.04. I have downloaded the update for 1.08 and copied the BIN file to a USB stick but after pressing INFO as directed, the USB UPDATE notification shows and it then appears not to do anything after that.

Powering off and back on again works ut the firmware remains unchanged. There are no error notifications, it just appears not to do anything after starting the update process.

Are you following the instructions for firmware update? How long are you waiting for the update to complete? I’ve found that firmware updates can take 10-20 minutes.

Also check the format of the USB stick, AVRs can be finicky. Reformatting in a Windows computer to the requirements of the firmware update should suffice (ensure you back up all other files you want to keep).

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
New here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 01-14-2019 at 03:20 PM.
post #665 of 689 Old 12-27-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
On what are you basing the assessment that nothing is coming out of the subwoofer? Sounds like if YPAO sets the sub to -2.5dB, then it’s passing the test and the AVR is turning the level down.

Based on your pics of our main speakers, I’d consider setting the cross over to 120 Hz. What’s the biggest woofer in the left and right speakers, 3”? 4”?

Make sure you’re not in Pure Direct mode when playing something back.

Are you following the instructions for firmware update? How long are you waiting for the update to complete? I’ve found that firmware updates can take 10-20 minutes.
The left and right speakers have a 6.5" woofer. Maybe I will try changing the crossover slightly up. SVS did say this is a known problem with Yamaha receivers and having a lower output. I reran the calibration and they told me to adjust all the volume from the receiver and not change the gain on the sub. They did say I could turn it to 3 o'clock but not past that. Also I am not in pure direct mode. They also said to get a y splitter for the RCA cable so there is two plugs going into the sub instead of a single. That will help as well. When I reran the calibration with gain at 12 o'clock it put the sub at -7db so ill take that to 0, possibly turn the gain up slightly, and get that splitter and see if it all works. Sounds like it should.
post #666 of 689 Old 12-28-2018, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The left and right speakers have a 6.5" woofer. Maybe I will try changing the crossover slightly up.
Go more than slightly. The Dolby standard bass crossover is 80 Hz. With 6.5" woofers I would start at 100 Hz, consider 110 Hz or 120 Hz. (You can download some frequency sweep and test tone files from audiocheck.net and go crazy (or make a household member crazy) playing test tones and sweeps to determine if there are any "blind spots" in the frequency coverage. If you have your bass crossover so low with bookshelf speakers, you can bet there is a gap around 60 - 90 Hz.)

Quote:
SVS did say this is a known problem with Yamaha receivers and having a lower output.
I call BS on that. Really.

Quote:
I reran the calibration and they told me to adjust all the volume from the receiver and not change the gain on the sub. They did say I could turn it to 3 o'clock but not past that.
Generally, I suggest people follow their sub manufacturer's advice, and run YPAO repeatedly until the Yamaha's resulting sub level is +/- 2 dB. I suggest +2 dB if you use "Auto ON' power options so that the AVR is sending a slightly stronger signal to "wake" a sleeping sub. Works great with my Hsu VTF-2.

Quote:
Also I am not in pure direct mode. They also said to get a y splitter for the RCA cable so there is two plugs going into the sub instead of a single. That will help as well.
Sometimes a placebo, but if SVS suggests it, go for it. Monoprice can set you up with one on the cheap.

Quote:
When I reran the calibration with gain at 12 o'clock it put the sub at -7db so ill take that to 0, possibly turn the gain up slightly, and get that splitter and see if it all works. Sounds like it should.
YIKES. if the AVR adjusted the sub to -7 dB, the sub is running hot. See above about adjusting gain and then running YPAO until you get closer to +/- 0 dB.

If YPAO reduces your sub by -7 dB and you change it to 0, all things being correct and equal ... you could blow the sucker.

BTW, you didn't specify WHAT is convincing you that "nothing is coming out of the sub." During YPAO tests, the sub will be much quieter; likewise when setting levels, the test tone from the sub will be much quieter than the tone from other speakers. ... Everyone has their favorite movies and music to "test" a hi-fi with (I scoff at movies because they often have moments that overload the soundstage with "too much"), but I like some tracks like "Matobo" from James Newton Howard's score to The Interpreter, "Pawnee Attack I & II" from John Barry's Moviola II: Action and Adventure (runner up: "007 and Counting (remastered)" from John Barry's Diamonds are Forever remastered soundtrack), "Vibratoire" from Biosphere's Autour De La Lune, "Ultramarine" from Michael Brook's classic Cobalt Blue, "Dancin'" from Chris Isaak's Baja Sessions (the opening of the song alone ought to give you subwoofer goosebumps), and "Train Song" from Holly Cole's Temptation. If you have an all-you-eat plan on a streaming service, look for those.

New here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 12-28-2018 at 01:00 AM.
post #667 of 689 Old 12-28-2018, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Good news, it was the USB stick. I tried a different one and it worked first time. It took about 5 minutes.

I had already called Yamaha support and they also informed me that the latest version is 1.09 (1.08 is the most recent shown on their website) so the emailed me a wetransfer link for that.

Now just waiting for my LG UP970 Blu Ray player to arrive so I can enjoy UHD Blu Rays in Dolby Vision

Just replaced faulty Denon AVR-1908 receiver with a Yamaha RX-V383
TV is a Samsung UE50MU6120
Running a simple 5.1 surround arrangemet
Possibly adding a subwoofer soon
post #668 of 689 Old 01-01-2019, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartz04 View Post
I either don’t understand or can’t find this. Is there a quick way to turn on and off the zone B speakers? Only way I can figure out is switching it from 5.1 to B.I.-AMP which is way too many buttton presses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hook up the zone 2 speakers to the Surround Back/Presence/Zone 2 connectors. In Speaker Configuration, set Power Amp Assign to Zone B. On the remote, top left, set the slider to Zone B. Click the power button to turn just those speakers on or off.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #669 of 689 Old 01-01-2019, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Need help before purchase

Need your valuable advise.

I am about to buy a Yamaha Rx-v683.

But i need to know whether this receiver will support Sony TV Dolby Vision profile or not?

(I'll be using Panasonic UB820 4k UHD player and this player supports Sony's DV profile.)

Thanks in advance.

Sony 55A8F OLED TV, Sony X900E LCD TV, Yamaha RX-A3050 reciever, Epson 5300 1080p projector, SVS Ultra Tower Surround Sound 7.1.2 system, SVS PB2000 Subwoofer, SVS SB1000 Subwoofer, Marantz UD7007 Universal Disc Player, LG UP970 UHD Player, Braun 16:9 projector screen.
post #670 of 689 Old 01-01-2019, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shareknow View Post
I am about to buy a Yamaha Rx-v683.
But i need to know whether this receiver will support Sony TV Dolby Vision profile or not?.
Yes, as of the firmware update 12/2017, DV support was provided. Check Post #1 for more info and links on this model.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 01-01-2019 at 07:18 PM. Reason: removing thread title from post
post #671 of 689 Old 01-01-2019, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone with the RXV-683 and XM radio lose the artist and song title display recently? They are both showing up blank on all channels. The only thing I can get to display is the Channel Name. Music is playing fine, just no info.
post #672 of 689 Old 01-03-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am a late entrant to this thread . Recently I got a Yamaha RX-V583 coupled with Polk S-55 Fronts and S-30 Centre. Will be adding a Polk DSW Pro 550 10" Sub and S-15 as rears to it soon. This was an upgrade from my previous 12 years old 2.0 channel Sony MHC-RV 222 Mini HiFi component system. I am really loving the Yamaha receiver. Updated to the latest 2.59 firmare as soon as I unboxed it. I don't have too many input sources. My primary input source being my PC (HDMI input) and my Mobile via Bluetooth. Unlike Surround Sound issues faced by users with PC in previous posts out here I didn't have any problem. After tinkering a lot initially, I realised the change that I needed to make was in VLC, rather than Windows itself. The "HDMI/ SPDIF Passthrough" setting in VLC is what I needed for Windows to stop interfering with the decoding as I kept the Decoder to "Straight" in the receiver. Works like a charm for Dolby / DTS encoded media files. I prefer the AVR to do the decoding instead of the PC. For other non-dolby / non-DTS multichannel files, the signal is then sent as "PCM". I am primarily a Linux user (just installed Windows to understand the whole process as I have never used HDMI inputs before -- RCA is all I have been using), so the above settings are a little bit different in Linux (I prefer mpv as my media player) than in Windows but everything is working just fine.
post #673 of 689 Old 01-06-2019, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Angry Yamaha RX-V683 problems

My signal seems to keep dropping in and out via my HDMI cable connection. Seems OK with other inputs, is this just a cable signal issue or is there a setting on the receiver I need to adjust. Cable is fine on all other TV's.
post #674 of 689 Old 01-06-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I had the same intermittent issue with what I thought was a Denon 4100 issue. Replaced my 10ft Monoprice in wall hdmi cable. For a cheap 10ft version that was included with my cable box.

Problem solved over 2 yrs ago, no issues since. No extra cost to me!

(R&L: Infinity Beta 50) (Center: Infinity Beta C360) (Surround Side & Back: Infinity IW ERS 210 x 4) (TM: Infinity IC ERS 110 x 2) (Sub: Def Tech SC1)
(7.2.2 Config.) (AVR: Denon 4100) (Audiosource Amp 110 for TM's) (BRP: Pioneer 80FD) (Display: Panasonic TC-P65S1)
post #675 of 689 Old 01-06-2019, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Howley View Post
My signal seems to keep dropping in and out via my HDMI cable connection. Seems OK with other inputs, is this just a cable signal issue or is there a setting on the receiver I need to adjust. Cable is fine on all other TV's.
Not really clear if you've tried swapping out cables, connections, or...? If you're using any 4K UHD components (player, streaming device, TV), ensure you are using a certified cable (it will have the word, the QR code, and URL on the package). Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cables sell them at reasonable prices. If that's not it, please give us more details about what specifically isn't working, and what you've tried.

BTW, please post questions about your 683 in this dedicates owners' thread, rather than new topics. Your topic was merged into this thread for convenience.

post #676 of 689 Old 01-10-2019, 09:32 AM

Question ARC and CEC issue with factory reconditioned Yamaha TSR-5830

Sorry in advance for this long-winded description but I'm trying to cover the complete setup and the symptoms:

After 8+ hours in standby with my cable box, tv, and ht receiver in standby, the ARC and HDMI-CEC control don't work.

Here's my setup - a newly purchased factory reconditioned Yamaha TSR-5830 and my LG 65UH8500. Connections are:very simple basic setup- cable box to HDMI 1 of TV. TV HDMI 2 (designated ARC interface) to TV HDMI out (ARC) on receiver. Can't get any simpler. Previously I had a Sony receiver with all setup the exact same way and never had a problem with ARC and HDMI-CEC. TV still has all the same settings for ARC and CEC turned on as previously used with the Sony.

Before you ask, the reason I'm setup this way instead of just letting the receiver switch is for WAF. I don't want a new or universal remote, just want to use the cable remote as my wife has always used it. One button to turn on cable box and TV and bam- Receiver turns on and you get sound. Plus, I use screen cast and YouTube from my phone to the TV all the time and also use the TV's smart apps like Netflix which is very convenient.

The pairing of my tv to the ht receiver works fine all day. I hit the cable remote "all systems" power button to turn all. (This is programmed for cable box and the TV functions).
The cable box lights up, the TV lights up, the receiver clicks out of standby and is on AV1 source (correct!) and I get receiver sound and volume controlled by the TV to receiver over CEC.
Hit the "all" power button again, Cable goes off, TV goes off, receiver goes into standby. All this is working exactly as it should and can do this all day long with hours in between turning off(standby) and back on. Then at night I do the same power-down and the next morning is when the issue happens.
8 or so hours later, in the morning, when I hit power button, the cable comes on, the TV comes on. The darn receiver stays in standby.
Even if I separately hit the power button on the receiver while in this state, it comes on with source AV1 (designated as TV source in the hdmi arc setup) as it should, but the TV won't recognize it for ARC or CEC volume- EXCEPT that if I power down using the cable remote again, the tv and cable box go to standby AND the receiver does turn off. BUT it still won't power on with the all on press.
I found one way to to get it all working again -- I have to put all 3 devices in standby, and then turn off the power strip for the TV and the receiver (Cable box stays powered cause it takes 15 minutes to boot). All works correctly again all day long after this power cycle.

This is the exact same setup I've done for past 3 years with my Sony STR-DH770 receiver and never had a problem with it. And before you ask, just to rule out needing newer HDMI cables, I did buy all new HDMI certified cables: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=UTF8&psc=1%22 (My previous cables were HDMI ARC/4k / CEC certified but I thought it worth ruling out an issue with newer HDMI spec)

For the settings on both sides, I do have ARC and CEC ON in both the TV and the Receiver and working properly as evidenced by it working all day long until overnight standby.
The receiver is set to "Standby through=ON "(previously tried Auto and it failed too). Audio Output =ON HDMI control=ON TV Audio=AV1 (and AV1 is set as TV source)
The fact that his works all the time except when standby overnight is just plain weird.

Ok, after all this if I haven't lost you, here's my actual question:
Do you guys think I have a defective receiver and I should return it? Is there anything else I should try in settings/etc? Or anything further I can debug this issue with to figure it out?
post #677 of 689 Old 01-10-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 613 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20634 Post(s)
Liked: 10998
Fact of life is ARC/CEC doesn't always work regardless of the brand. Connect an optical cable from the TV --> 5830 and call it a day.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #678 of 689 Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Fact of life is ARC/CEC doesn't always work regardless of the brand. Connect an optical cable from the TV --> 5830 and call it a day.
Thanks for the response, I had considered this! But... I'm a tech person at heart and mysteries really bug me even if I end up resorting to this. I really want to know what is wrong even if it cannot work as I want. If it weren't for the fact that it works all day, hours apart and then fails the next morning, I'd just move on. I'm stubborn - this should work! Especially now that CEC and ARC have been out for years.

Agreed, yes, I can use optical to consistently get TV to the Receiver but I'd still need CEC working to control receiver on/off and volume from the TV. Maybe there's ability in my "almost smart" cable modem remote to handle Receiver on/off + volume on receiver directly. Bottom line, my goal is to NOT change anything from the wife's perspective.
In lieu of somebody else coming up with an explanation, suggestion or solution for current ARC/CEC config, I'll give this a try.
post #679 of 689 Old 01-10-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Try using a SCENE button to turn on all the devices, that works for me with multiple components from multiple manufacturers. See the OM for info on registering or changing settings on SCENE profiles.

I find SCENE buttons are a great for WAF, just tell her/him "button 1 for watching cable TV. Simple." Also, if teh 5830 remote can be programed with manufacturer codes (usually in the back of the OM or a separate guide), do so. It's a good backup for HDMI-CEC.

post #680 of 689 Old 01-10-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Try using a SCENE button to turn on all the devices, that works for me with multiple components from multiple manufacturers. See the OM for info on registering or changing settings on SCENE profiles.

I find SCENE buttons are a great for WAF, just tell her/him "button 1 for watching cable TV. Simple." Also, if teh 5830 remote can be programed with manufacturer codes (usually in the back of the OM or a separate guide), do so. It's a good backup for HDMI-CEC.
Thanks for this ChromeJob- I did try SCENE as well. It does turn on all the devices with no problem - but the issue is that even when the receiver gets turned back on while in this state, it never gets ARC from the TV so I'm screwed. I did program the cable remote AUX to turn off the receiver but, as above, the receiver being on is still no sound.

That said, today just now it happened again after being off for 3 hours. I did some more experimenting to find out a "soft" way to get it working again. Turns out the issue is definitely in the receiver (which I expected since only that changed from prior setup). While in this state, if I go into the receiver HDMI setup and turn off ARC and then back on and power off to standby/back on, ARC works again. And when ARC works, CEC immediately does to. Somehow this darn thing is forgetting about ARC and part of CEC. (I say part of CEC since in this state, the receiver will turn off when the TV goes off, but it never goes on when the tv goes on). At least that gets to the bottom of how to easily correct this when it happens. I'll just keep experimenting and also contact Yamaha about it now that I know the exact way to correct it.

It would be a total pain to send back a refurbished unit so I expect I"m going to end up going with the optical cable. Any other ideas you guys have would be most helpful but I'm guessing I'm SOL on this one.
post #681 of 689 Old 01-11-2019, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Like jdsmoothie mentioned, if optical audio back from the TV works, maybe just use that and call it a day.

Some people like to use the smart apps on TVs, but I found the apps and the Smart Hub on my Samsung to be sub-par. When I moved up to a Apple TV, it was like going from a Yaris to an MR2. I only use audio from my TV when actually checking broadcast TV. YMMV.

post #682 of 689 Old 01-12-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Like jdsmoothie mentioned, if optical audio back from the TV works, maybe just use that and call it a day.

Some people like to use the smart apps on TVs, but I found the apps and the Smart Hub on my Samsung to be sub-par. When I moved up to a Apple TV, it was like going from a Yaris to an MR2. I only use audio from my TV when actually checking broadcast TV. YMMV.
Agreed. I've already turned off ARC and am waiting for my optical cable to show up. Even CEC on it's own still fails. So I programmed my Spectrum cable remote for AUX but then found will not control the receiver volume via the "volume source" override. Then I though OK, I can instead program DVD or VCR buttons for the receiver function. Apparently the device codes are specific to source button and device list - and you can't put an audio receiver code into a DVD source. Damn, outsmarted at every turn.
It's a no-go for the wife to have to be cable mode to change channels but AUX mode to change volume.
Screw this remote, I'll just spend more money on this issue. Harmony to the rescue! It's on order too.

I just can't believe I'm having to resort to this. Yes, it will work but the darn CEC and ARC should work too. I never had this problem with 4 previous HT receivers - both Sony and Yamaha's. I still think it's a fault in the receiver that's it's losing ARC/CEC until power cycled. But I like the receiver features (especially the fact it can SEND bluetooth to headphones!) and sound fields so much more than my older Sony that I'm going to keep it and do the alternate solutions described.

Thanks all for your feedback - I was hoping there was just a missed setup option, but obviously not.
post #683 of 689 Old 01-12-2019, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

As has been said before many times, CEC implementation is spotty and inconsistent from one manufacturer to another. It's a pity that the newer Yamaha remotes aren't programmable with other manufacturer codes, my Yamaha remotes worked darned well in that mode, even without CEC.

For some things, Harmony or other programmables are still the best bet particularly for customization. Best of luck to you.

post #684 of 689 Old 01-14-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalawod View Post
Sorry in advance for this long-winded description but I'm trying to cover the complete setup and the symptoms:

After 8+ hours in standby with my cable box, tv, and ht receiver in standby, the ARC and HDMI-CEC control don't work.

Here's my setup - a newly purchased factory reconditioned Yamaha TSR-5830 and my LG 65UH8500. Connections are:very simple basic setup- cable box to HDMI 1 of TV. TV HDMI 2 (designated ARC interface) to TV HDMI out (ARC) on receiver. Can't get any simpler. Previously I had a Sony receiver with all setup the exact same way and never had a problem with ARC and HDMI-CEC. TV still has all the same settings for ARC and CEC turned on as previously used with the Sony.

Before you ask, the reason I'm setup this way instead of just letting the receiver switch is for WAF. I don't want a new or universal remote, just want to use the cable remote as my wife has always used it. One button to turn on cable box and TV and bam- Receiver turns on and you get sound. Plus, I use screen cast and YouTube from my phone to the TV all the time and also use the TV's smart apps like Netflix which is very convenient.

The pairing of my tv to the ht receiver works fine all day. I hit the cable remote "all systems" power button to turn all. (This is programmed for cable box and the TV functions).
The cable box lights up, the TV lights up, the receiver clicks out of standby and is on AV1 source (correct!) and I get receiver sound and volume controlled by the TV to receiver over CEC.
Hit the "all" power button again, Cable goes off, TV goes off, receiver goes into standby. All this is working exactly as it should and can do this all day long with hours in between turning off(standby) and back on. Then at night I do the same power-down and the next morning is when the issue happens.
8 or so hours later, in the morning, when I hit power button, the cable comes on, the TV comes on. The darn receiver stays in standby.
Even if I separately hit the power button on the receiver while in this state, it comes on with source AV1 (designated as TV source in the hdmi arc setup) as it should, but the TV won't recognize it for ARC or CEC volume- EXCEPT that if I power down using the cable remote again, the tv and cable box go to standby AND the receiver does turn off. BUT it still won't power on with the all on press.
I found one way to to get it all working again -- I have to put all 3 devices in standby, and then turn off the power strip for the TV and the receiver (Cable box stays powered cause it takes 15 minutes to boot). All works correctly again all day long after this power cycle.

This is the exact same setup I've done for past 3 years with my Sony STR-DH770 receiver and never had a problem with it. And before you ask, just to rule out needing newer HDMI cables, I did buy all new HDMI certified cables: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=UTF8&psc=1%22 (My previous cables were HDMI ARC/4k / CEC certified but I thought it worth ruling out an issue with newer HDMI spec)

For the settings on both sides, I do have ARC and CEC ON in both the TV and the Receiver and working properly as evidenced by it working all day long until overnight standby.
The receiver is set to "Standby through=ON "(previously tried Auto and it failed too). Audio Output =ON HDMI control=ON TV Audio=AV1 (and AV1 is set as TV source)
The fact that his works all the time except when standby overnight is just plain weird.

Ok, after all this if I haven't lost you, here's my actual question:
Do you guys think I have a defective receiver and I should return it? Is there anything else I should try in settings/etc? Or anything further I can debug this issue with to figure it out?
I had problems similar to yours. A factory reset cured them.
post #685 of 689 Old 01-14-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
How is your USB stick formatted? It will only work properly if the stick is formatted in FAT 16 or FAT 32. If it's formatted in NTFS, you must do a full format to either of the FAT formats. I recommend FAT 32. If it's formatted properly, try using a different brand. Some devices can be temperamental about what you connect when it comes to USB devices.
post #686 of 689 Old 01-14-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
And another thing... go to the download page http://usa.yamaha.com/support/updat..._htr-3071.html an go to the bottom of the page. Just below the purple download link button is a "Related Downloads" section. Click the link to download full step by step instructions to properly install the firmware.
post #687 of 689 Old 01-14-2019, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve0819 View Post
How is your USB stick formatted? It will only work properly if the stick is formatted in FAT 16 or FAT 32. If it's formatted in NTFS, you must do a full format to either of the FAT formats. I recommend FAT 32. If it's formatted properly, try using a different brand. Some devices can be temperamental about what you connect when it comes to USB devices.
Quote:
And another thing... go to the download page http://usa.yamaha.com/support/updat..._htr-3071.html an go to the bottom of the page. Just below the purple download link button is a "Related Downloads" section. Click the link to download full step by step instructions to properly install the firmware.
If you continue through the thread, you'll see he was able to fix the issue with a new USB stick. But your willingness to help is appreciated.

post #688 of 689 Old 01-15-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
I had problems similar to yours. A factory reset cured them.
Thanks Steve0819! I remember considering this early on but eliminated that choice because I didn't want to take a chance as I've heard things can occasionally go very wrong.

I've now resolved my issue by turning off ARC and CEC and using an inexpensive Harmony 350 to simultaneously control the TV/Cable and Receiver in one mode setting. My roadblock to eliminating ARC from the TV came down to not having sound for Miracast. No other device of mine had it until I found Airserver Xbox Edition. Now my Xbox does everything and more that my TV smart apps did and hopefully won't get deprecated features like smart TV's tend to do a few years out.

That said, this CEC and ARC randomness still bugs me. When the wife isn't around to see me messing with it again, I'm going to try the factory reset just to see. Even if it works that doesn't mean I have to go back to the TV for control/sound as the Harmony is a good solution.
Thanks for reminding me to try this. Hopefully I don't end up with a brick!
post #689 of 689 Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM

Dolby Atmos Issue: Before reading this I will say Atmos works fine when I turn on Pure Direct or Straight and maybe that is my answer. I didn't know if someone can help me get the right settings so I don't have to do this every time I watch something with Atmos but if I need to no big deal.

I am watching Atmos content through a Vizio P Series with the Vudu app on the TV. This is the only app that supports Atmos built into a Vizio TV.

Receiver V-683
5.1.2 setup with Atmos speakers mounted overhead

I attached pictures of my settings. I have not been able to figure out how to get the sound to play through those speakers watching atmos content other than hitting pure direct or straight. Maybe some other people a lot smarter than me on here can shed some light and point out something I am doing wrong. Or maybe I just keeping hitting pure direct which is not a big deal. Thank you for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2508.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	2512208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2510.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	2512210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2511.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	2512212  

Last edited by davepsu; Yesterday at 04:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
5.1.2 , arc , atmos , auto , cec , control , google play music , hdmi , headphone jack , headphone line out , musiccast , noise , rx-v383 , setup , sound modes , switching , Yamaha , yamaha tsr 5830