Forum Jump: 
 4876Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7088 Old 07-12-2017, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
atlantasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
NAD 758 v3

I haven't seen a thread yet for this receiver. I just set it up and am very happy so far.
atlantasteve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7088 Old 07-12-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 5,355
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Does it have Dirac?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bommai is offline  
post #3 of 7088 Old 07-13-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 5,355
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I read the specs and it says Dirac live. Did you calibrate it using Dirac live. Does it need a PC/Mac for that or is that all done by the receiver?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bommai is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7088 Old 07-13-2017, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
atlantasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
I read the specs and it says Dirac live. Did you calibrate it using Dirac live. Does it need a PC/Mac for that or is that all done by the receiver?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It will have Dirac after a firmware update sometime in the future.
atlantasteve is offline  
post #5 of 7088 Old 07-13-2017, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 5,355
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Oh boy. Hopefully soon. The v3 was supposed to be out last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bommai is offline  
post #6 of 7088 Old 07-14-2017, 12:26 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantasteve View Post
I haven't seen a thread yet for this receiver. I just set it up and am very happy so far.
Can you say what you have connected to it and what features of it that you've used? I'm hoping it supports Dolby Vision in its HDMI pass through. I have (and still use) a T760 receiver that predates HDMI and am looking to upgrade.
BruceNT is offline  
post #7 of 7088 Old 07-14-2017, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
madhuski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Only 3 hdmi in. Do splitters work fine with it?

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Parasound Halo A21
Parasound Halo A52
madhuski is offline  
post #8 of 7088 Old 07-14-2017, 06:07 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This seems like quite an interesting AVR if they avoid the mistakes Arcam made with their Dirac implementation. I suppose it's wait and see until NAD actually releases the Dirac firmware and people can test it.

Any idea if this supports amp reassignment? Goal would be 5.1.4 setup with external poweramp for main L+R and using AVR internal amps for the rest of the speakers.
harrik is offline  
post #9 of 7088 Old 07-16-2017, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
atlantasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceNT View Post
Can you say what you have connected to it and what features of it that you've used? I'm hoping it supports Dolby Vision in its HDMI pass through. I have (and still use) a T760 receiver that predates HDMI and am looking to upgrade.
My 3 hdmi inputs are connected to Dish Hopper, Oppo 203 and Roku stick. HDMI out goes to LG B6. Speakers are Vienna Acoustic Schoenberg. I also have an analog connection from the Oppo to the NAD.

I use BluOS to play Tidal and am trying out Roon.

So far, I notice that the NAD DAC is very active. Sounds better than the Oppo DAC. Videos pop, especially in HDR. I will post more as I learn.
atlantasteve is offline  
post #10 of 7088 Old 08-24-2017, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2661
I've sent a request to support@nadelectronics.com two weeks ago asking a couple of questions but haven't heard back yet. Maybe someone has more information? Here's my questions:

1. Can I run a 5.1.4 Atmos configuration?
2. When do you plan on making Dirac Live available?
3. Speaker distance settings allow just 1ft steps. Will Dirac Live be allowed to set speaker distance in finer increments?
3. Bass management: what crossover points can be selected?
4. Bass management: is there just a common crossover point for all speakers set to small or are individual settings available?
5. Bass management: what type of high-pass/low-pass filter and slope is applied?
6. Can I set a fixed volume level when the unit is powered on?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #11 of 7088 Old 10-09-2017, 07:50 AM
Newbie
 
lebushjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Firmware/Software Issues?

HI, I would get the T758 v3 in a heartbeat as it fits my needs perfectly. But the comments on Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_745T75...-T-758-V3.html) have made me reluctant. Is anyone else having firmware problems?

For the short-term, 4k isn't a concern. Switching video sources, good audio and utilizing BluOs would be the initial usage.

Thanks in advance.
lebushjr is offline  
post #12 of 7088 Old 10-09-2017, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebushjr View Post
HI, I would get the T758 v3 in a heartbeat as it fits my needs perfectly. But the comments on Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_745T75...-T-758-V3.html) have made me reluctant. Is anyone else having firmware problems?

For the short-term, 4k isn't a concern. Switching video sources, good audio and utilizing BluOs would be the initial usage.

Thanks in advance.
Just talked to a dealer in Switzerland. It can be ordered but they don't have it in their store. He knows nothing about software bugs or availability of Dirac Live firmware upgrade. Together with the user reports at Crutchfield and here at AVSforum I'd say you better wait.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; 10-09-2017 at 08:38 AM.
markus767 is offline  
post #13 of 7088 Old 10-13-2017, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2661
NAD just released firmware 2.03 and Dirac Live for the T 758V3:
http://nadelectronics.com/product/t...ound-receiver/
nathan_h likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #14 of 7088 Old 10-13-2017, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Did you receive a response on these inquires?
No. Not a good sign. Looks like NAD is taking customer support even less serious than Arcam. Arcam does respond (although with questionable information). Regardless, it took Arcam over 2 years to have a halfway decent device after fixing the worst bugs. How long will it take NAD if they even don't respond to any customer requests?

The dealer I was talking to tried to answer some of the questions but he was very vague on some points (didn't know filter topology, said he would need to take a look at "the circuit") and probably outright wrong about others (DL would set bass management). He claimed that the device can output 11.1 channels though. If all of them were Dirac Live equalized this would be a very interesting AVR. Not sure I want to take a leading role in another horror show again...

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; 10-14-2017 at 03:12 AM.
markus767 is offline  
post #15 of 7088 Old 10-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Member
 
buyersremorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NorCal
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
MODERATORS:
Please consider merging this thread with "NAD T758 successor"
buyersremorse is offline  
post #16 of 7088 Old 10-19-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2661
Couldn't resist – T 758 v3 ordered. Will have it tomorrow or Monday.

Thought I could download Dirac Live from the product page at http://nadelectronics.com/en_EU/pro...ound-receiver/ but links to both the Mac and PC version don't work. Links at http://nadelectronics.com/en_EU/dirac-live/ do work though.

Mac installer throws a Gatekeeper error. Come on Dirac Research, sign your software properly!



Workaround: Right-click installer (Dirac Live LE for NAD v1.2.17.8658.mpkg), select "Open" and then "Open" again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 18.16.15.png
Views:	10948
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	2301142  
ss324, neo_2009 and madhuski like this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #17 of 7088 Old 10-19-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2661
NAD supplies a "RoomFeel EQ Target Curve" with Dirac Live LE. Looks virtually identical to the Harman curve.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 18.55.10.png
Views:	10745
Size:	882.8 KB
ID:	2301154  

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #18 of 7088 Old 10-19-2017, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
NAD supplies a "RoomFeel EQ Target Curve" with Dirac Live LE. Looks virtually identical to the Harman curve.
The "new" curve used in the Trinnov/JBL units?

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5000 | Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL Tower | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Luna | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13s
duckymomo is offline  
post #19 of 7088 Old 10-19-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
The "new" curve used in the Trinnov/JBL units?
What's the "old" curve

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #20 of 7088 Old 10-19-2017, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WestCoastD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: California
Posts: 7,721
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebushjr View Post
HI, I would get the T758 v3 in a heartbeat as it fits my needs perfectly. But the comments on Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_745T75...-T-758-V3.html) have made me reluctant
this is a nice unit on paper, especially for the price: it has 7.1 EXT INP's & OUT's, that's huge for me.
WestCoastD is offline  
post #21 of 7088 Old 10-19-2017, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
madhuski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Spoiler!




Markus, I think all of us eyeing this unit just got a lot more interested. I'm eagerly awaiting your thoughts.

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Parasound Halo A21
Parasound Halo A52
madhuski is offline  
post #22 of 7088 Old 10-19-2017, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Thought I could download Dirac Live from the product page at http://nadelectronics.com/en_EU/pro...ound-receiver/ but links to both the Mac and PC version don't work. Links at http://nadelectronics.com/en_EU/dirac-live/ do work though.
Download links have been fixed after sending them a support request. That was quick.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #23 of 7088 Old 10-20-2017, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Scot Kight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Oak Hill, VA
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
NAD is looking into all of my issues with the apps and the unit.

Markus: can you try to display something from your mac or pc through the receiver at something other than 4k30hz. Like random 2560 or other resolutions and refresh rates?

Scot Kight

"Don't touch that, this isn't your house and that isn't your tv!" she says.

"But look at it, the contrast is completely blown out, the color is all off and that tint. This will only take a sec..."
Scot Kight is offline  
post #24 of 7088 Old 10-20-2017, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
rjyap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Couldn't resist – T 758 v3 ordered. Will have it tomorrow or Monday.

Thought I could download Dirac Live from the product page at http://nadelectronics.com/en_EU/pro...ound-receiver/ but links to both the Mac and PC version don't work. Links at http://nadelectronics.com/en_EU/dirac-live/ do work though.

Mac installer throws a Gatekeeper error. Come on Dirac Research, sign your software properly!



Workaround: Right-click installer (Dirac Live LE for NAD v1.2.17.8658.mpkg), select "Open" and then "Open" again.
Let us know if the bass management and Dirac is working as intended. Also do update us on the receiver bugs as previous review on the old firmware is pretty bad and frustrating especially on audio format switching. The price actually pretty good for 7.1.4 and I don't mind to pay extra USD 99 for Dirac Live full version. It also mention 2 licenses on the PC. Does that mean paying USD 99 also get the software Dirac processing on the PC?
rjyap is offline  
post #25 of 7088 Old 10-21-2017, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Can someone verify that no volume or source information is displayed on the OSD? It looks like you have to check the front panel of the unit to get basic info like volume level or audio/video format.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5000 | Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL Tower | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Luna | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13s

Last edited by duckymomo; 10-21-2017 at 03:38 PM.
duckymomo is offline  
post #26 of 7088 Old 10-21-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Wow, so no info/mode/settings/volume/input/format is displayed on the screen. How is that still a thing in 2017? Not everyone has the receiver under the TV.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5000 | Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL Tower | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Luna | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13s
duckymomo is offline  
post #27 of 7088 Old 10-22-2017, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
Wow, so no info/mode/settings/volume/input/format is displayed on the screen. How is that still a thing in 2017? Not everyone has the receiver under the TV.
I agree that basic information like volume needs to be displayed on screen when the AVR isn't in the same room. This requires video processing the NAD apparently doesn't have.

Here are your other options if you're looking for Dirac Live room correction:
http://www.dirac.com/buy-products-w...-our-partners/

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; 10-22-2017 at 05:27 AM.
markus767 is offline  
post #28 of 7088 Old 10-24-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2661
Still haven't received my unit. Dealer says tomorrow or the day after...

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #29 of 7088 Old 10-24-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Still haven't received my unit. Dealer says tomorrow or the day after...
I got mine and gave up after an afternoon. It was soooooo buggy. It kept changing the overhead speaker designations, flickering with different HDMI cables and sources, constantly losing the network connection, and more.

I'm sure you will be much more patient.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5000 | Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL Tower | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Luna | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13s
duckymomo is offline  
post #30 of 7088 Old 10-24-2017, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
I got mine and gave up after an afternoon. It was soooooo buggy. It kept changing the overhead speaker designations, flickering with different HDMI cables and sources, constantly losing the network connection, and more.

I'm sure you will be much more patient.
Did you report these issues to NAD support? Only if they get reports there is a chance for a fix.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off