post #36721 of 36784 Old 01-09-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
I had a Marantz av7705pre pro and mm7055 amp . The anthem amplifier has a humming noise coming from its chassis that only I can hear, and that’s from over 10’ . Others can hear it but must be a few inches away . No issues at all with my previous marantz amp .
Got a second 525 and it did the same thing . Speakers pop when it turns off also .
The rear channels are dismal sounding with music videos off YouTube. The surround was fantastic with the marantz . I wanted to have a pre pro test passed 4K, so that is why I changed my gear . I’m pretty disappointed that I didn’t just get a new 4K pre pro from marantz .

I should also mention I have no use for ARC. It flattens the sound so much that it just sounds dead . I’m liking the anthem with ARC off though , and I swear there’s better blending with the sub . So it’s not all bad
I read the FAQ on the Anthem site that says that dimmers may have that effect on their Anthem amps.

Quote:
I have the setting different in music , which only partially uses the rears and it’s awesome . Movies are great too. Youtube is terrible in Dolby dig. The rears were phenomenal with the Marantz . I used to be amazed how it separated instruments and put them in the rear channels , especially seeing as it’s most likely a stereo video .
Anthem doesn’t hold a candle to Marantz in that department . Otherwise it’s fine ,well other than arc , but that’s another story .

I may try arc again at 500 hz and down and see if that works better . But I’m pretty happy without arc on
That's the experience I have with the Anthems. Loud and clear in the back and am pretty much amazed with them. I had a NAD M25 before.

JVC DLA-RS400, Elunevision 120" 2:35 Cinemascope AT screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, OPPO UDP-203, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, 4x Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55c, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36722 of 36784 Old 01-09-2019, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I never use the simulated/DSP stuff.

I play the source channels and don't ask for faked ones.

I might occasionally use a mode that sends L/R to the respective surrounds.

But not modes that try to create a surround mix on the fly, or effects like hall or concert.

They've always been gimmicks to me.
post #36723 of 36784 Old 01-09-2019, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
I read the FAQ on the Anthem site that says that dimmers may have that effect on their Anthem amps.

That's the experience I have with the Anthems. Loud and clear in the back and am pretty much amazed with them. I had a NAD M25 before.
Ya it’s nothing to do with dimmers unfortunately. I killed the breaker going to the dimmer and no change . Plugged it in at the neighbors and no change . There’s no hiss on the speakers , the noise is coming from the chassis of the amplifier,as it’s a piss poor design .
Most can’t hear the humming . I live in a house with concrete exterior walls , and my house is much quieter than normal .
Anthem techs checked my returned MCA525 and confirmed they can hear the hum also , but to only 2’ away .
I can easily hear it from 10.5 feet away ,well as long as the fridge and furnace are not running . Had zero noise with my Marantz amp .
It’s just one of life’s costly mistakes

I do have one idea . It’s a nuisance, but I could locate the amplifier in the basement where I’m hoping I can’t hear it .
Running 5- 12’ xlrs from the living room may be a hassle though , as there not a small connector

LG OLED65B7P.
Anthem AVM60 , Anthem MCA525 .
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD player .
Paradigm Studio CC690 V5 centre channel , Studio 100 V5’s front and rear . Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofer

Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 01-09-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36724 of 36784 Old 01-09-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Plugged it in at the neighbors and no change . There’s no hiss on the speakers , the noise is coming from the chassis of the amplifier,as it’s a piss poor design .

Most can’t hear the humming .
You appear to be very sensitive to that particular pitch.

Most aren't. You mentioned others couldn't hear tbe Anthem in your room.

I've had lots of transformers that were noisy buy only one I could notice 4ft away. (Big, cheap wall-wart 20 years ago)

You might could manage/isolate the noise w/o relocating 12' away. Just have to think on it. My first thoughts interfere with cooling but I'm sure there's a way.

But you aren't using the thing that really makes Anthem worth while, ARC. I'd see id the dealer would give good trade value for something your happier with.

Maybe just change the amp since the prepro isn't causing issues. Then work on ARC and find where it makes you happy.
post #36725 of 36784 Old 01-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
You appear to be very sensitive to that particular pitch.

Most aren't. You mentioned others couldn't hear tbe Anthem in your room.

I've had lots of transformers that were noisy buy only one I could notice 4ft away. (Big, cheap wall-wart 20 years ago)

You might could manage/isolate the noise w/o relocating 12' away. Just have to think on it. My first thoughts interfere with cooling but I'm sure there's a way.

But you aren't using the thing that really makes Anthem worth while, ARC. I'd see id the dealer would give good trade value for something your happier with.

Maybe just change the amp since the prepro isn't causing issues. Then work on ARC and find where it makes you happy.
I’m pretty happy with anthems sound not using arc . Its really only ruined music videos for me , but thats about it .

The amp would be located not far underneath where it’s located now . But when you start making turns here and there , the length adds up . I don’t think a 8’ to 12’ length of xlr creates any issues does it?

LG OLED65B7P.
Anthem AVM60 , Anthem MCA525 .
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD player .
Paradigm Studio CC690 V5 centre channel , Studio 100 V5’s front and rear . Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofer

Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 01-09-2019 at 05:46 PM.
post #36726 of 36784 Old 01-09-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:

The amp would be located not far underneath where it’s located now . But when you start making turns here and there , the length adds up . I don’t think a 8’ to 12’ length of xlr creates any issues does it?
No problem with the XLR cables. Just the inconvenience/expense of doing it all.

Last edited by ST Dog; 01-09-2019 at 11:16 PM.
post #36727 of 36784 Old 01-10-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckchester View Post
Yes, the studios are a noticable upgrade from the monitors. In fact, I would say that the studios are maybe the best line Paradigm has ever produced. Only the Signatures may sound better. Marginally...
Loved my Studios when i had them(100v3/690v5/590v5). But after picking up the Prestige 95F/55C/25S setup I have now, I would say they are a huge upgrade over the Studio's. Bigger than I went went from Monitor line to Studio. Also helps that i got them for $2700CDN out of pocket after selling the Studios.

LG OLED65B7P.
Anthem AVM60
Rotel 1585(5x200w), Rotel 1572 Class D(2x250w)
OPPO 203 4K
Paradigm Prestige 95F, 55C, 25S and Prestige 1000SW.
post #36728 of 36784 Old 01-10-2019, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W View Post
Quote:
Yes, the studios are a noticable upgrade from the monitors. In fact, I would say that the studios are maybe the best line Paradigm has ever produced. Only the Signatures may sound better. Marginally...
Loved my Studios when i had them(100v3/690v5/590v5). But after picking up the Prestige 95F/55C/25S setup I have now, I would say they are a huge upgrade over the Studio's. Bigger than I went went from Monitor line to Studio. Also helps that i got them for $2700CDN out of pocket after selling the Studios.
Hi there,

I have to disagree. I think the studios sound better. They also have a smoother frequency response, which scientific studies have shown is preferred by the majority of listeners.

Studio 100:
http://www.soundstage.com/measureme..._studio100_v3/

Prestige 95f:
http://www.soundstage.com/index.php...nts&Itemid=153
Spock1234 and MajorTendonitis like this.
post #36729 of 36784 Old 01-10-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
Quote:
It’s just one of life’s costly mistakes

I do have one idea . It’s a nuisance, but I could locate the amplifier in the basement where I’m hoping I can’t hear it .
Running 5- 12’ xlrs from the living room may be a hassle though , as there not a small connector
Quote:
I wouldn't call it a mistake. How were you to know? I'd call it an experiment. You thought it'd be better for you based on readings and recommendations, it wasn't. If you knew ahead of time it would be bad, and did it anyway? That'd have been a mistake.

Instead of going to the hassle of relocating the amp at this point, why not simply try a different amp (that you can return)? If that gets you nowhere, then relocate it. But no, those XLR lengths are not an issue at all. And DON'T spend tons of money on XLRs if you do this. Heck, make your own out of quality components and cable if you go down that road.

Seriously, why not go back to a Marantz amp, and see how it pairs with the AVM? Or, me personally, as many people know here, I'm a D-Sonic fan, and my amp is dead silent, would put it up against anything from Marantz or Anthem.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #36730 of 36784 Old 01-10-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked: 449
are there any owners of the newer Premier line? Curious on real world thoughts, as there's not a lot of reviews out there.
post #36731 of 36784 Old 01-10-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Hi there,

I have to disagree. I think the studios sound better. They also have a smoother frequency response, which scientific studies have shown is preferred by the majority of listeners.

Studio 100:

Prestige 95f:
But not ALL listeners.

I had the Revel 228be and the Paradigm Persona 3f in my house at the same time. You can find the graphs online. 6 people in my house preferred the Persona's to the Revel's. None preferred the Revel's.And it was not biased. I was told this by my wife first. Then two audiophile buddies. Then two young adults ages 22 and 23. Each group was at different days. Both were optimally set up in my treated room.

That is why it is nice to try different speakers in your own home. Don't just trust the measurements.

Ron
leeshanok and llang269 like this.

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
post #36732 of 36784 Old 01-10-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Quote:
Hi there,

Studio 100:

Prestige 95f:
But not ALL listeners.

I had the Revel 228be and the Paradigm Persona 3f in my house at the same time. You can find the graphs online. 6 people in my house preferred the Persona's to the Revel's. None preferred the Revel's.And it was not biased. I was told this by my wife first. Then two audiophile buddies. Then two young adults ages 22 and 23. Each group was at different days. Both were optimally set up in my treated room.

That is why it is nice to try different speakers in your own home. Don't just trust the measurements.

Ron
That's true, not all listeners, but definitely the vast majority.

Did you do your tests double blind? If not, how can you be so certain that your tests were not biased? The statistical significance in these studies is so strong that if you were to conduct a sighted test of two speakers and you decide that you prefer the speaker with the inferior response, then I think you at least need to requestion your conclusions.

Does the Revel 228be have a smoother frequency response than the Paradigm Persona 3f?

I own the studios and have listened to the Prestige at a store. I will say that I did not think the Prestige sounded as good as the Studios, however, I will admit that my listening tests are inadequate. However, I'm not sure that should detract from the validity of the anechoic measurements which I linked to. The Prestige 95f definitely has an inferior frequency response. The science says there is an extremely high probability that the vast majority of listeners would prefer the speaker with the better response.
post #36733 of 36784 Old 01-10-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It was a sighted test. But some liked the looks of the Revel better and most thought the Revel's would sound better. And more physical looking. So it definitely wasn't bias. One guy was shocked how much more he liked the Persona's. And yes you are correct that in those blind tests most people pick the smoothest response. And yes the Revel's response anechoic is tremendous. In fact the best I have ever saw.

Ron

7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
post #36734 of 36784 Old 01-10-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
It was a sighted test. But some liked the looks of the Revel better and most thought the Revel's would sound better. And more physical looking. So it definitely wasn't bias. One guy was shocked how much more he liked the Persona's. And yes you are correct that in those blind tests most people pick the smoothest response. And yes the Revel's response anechoic is tremendous. In fact the best I have ever saw.

Ron
Interesting, thanks for sharing. It would be interesting for you to do a blind test too though. It would be very interesting to see if your preferences remain the same or not. It would also be interesting to take measurements of each in your room.

LOL...Did I use the word "interesting" enough right there?
ST Dog likes this.
post #36735 of 36784 Old 01-10-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Hi there,

Studio 100:

Prestige 95f:
Prefer to take studies and reviews for what they are. I do my listening with my ears. I've owned Paradigm for 20+ years. Monitors, Studios, now Prestige. I know what I'm hearing, and its a huge improvement over my Studios. Maybe you should give them a test drive not just a quick listen, instead of quoting scripture.

http://hometheaterreview.com/paradi...aker-reviewed/
http://www.stereophile.com/content/...5f-loudspeaker
http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...system-review/

Few reviews to show how well liked these speakers are.
leeshanok likes this.

LG OLED65B7P.
Anthem AVM60
Rotel 1585(5x200w), Rotel 1572 Class D(2x250w)
OPPO 203 4K
Paradigm Prestige 95F, 55C, 25S and Prestige 1000SW.

Last edited by Kevin. W; 01-10-2019 at 07:04 PM.
post #36736 of 36784 Old 01-10-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams2 View Post
Quote:
That's true, not all listeners, but definitely the vast majority.

Did you do your tests double blind? If not, how can you be so certain that your tests were not biased? The statistical significance in these studies is so strong that if you were to conduct a sighted test of two speakers and you decide that you prefer the speaker with the inferior response, then I think you at least need to requestion your conclusions.

Does the Revel 228be have a smoother frequency response than the Paradigm Persona 3f?

I own the studios and have listened to the Prestige at a store. I will say that I did not think the Prestige sounded as good as the Studios, however, I will admit that my listening tests are inadequate. However, I'm not sure that should detract from the validity of the anechoic measurements which I linked to. The Prestige 95f definitely has an inferior frequency response. The science says there is an extremely high probability that the vast majority of listeners would prefer the speaker with the better response.
You can’t tell if you like a pair of speakers better than another pair if you can see them?
I can, but this does not guard against confirmation or expectation bias.
Spock1234 likes this.
post #36737 of 36784 Old 01-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W View Post
Quote:
Hi there,

Studio 100:

Prestige 95f:
Prefer to take studies and reviews for what they are. I do my listening with my ears. I've owned Paradigm for 20+ years. Monitors, Studios, now Prestige. I know what I'm hearing, and its a huge improvement over my Studios. Maybe you should give them a test drive not just a quick listen, instead of quoting scripture.
I've also been a Paradigm owner for many years. And it's not scripture, it's science.

I would encourage you to read through this thread. Pay special attention to a poster named Floyd Toole:

http://afterconvert.com/forum/index...038828?page=57

Knowledge is your friend.
Spock1234 likes this.
post #36738 of 36784 Old 01-10-2019, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I've also been a Paradigm owner for many years. And it's not scripture, it's science.

I would encourage you to read through this thread. Pay special attention to a poster named Floyd Toole:

Curious if you are one of those individuals who buys speakers based on charts, graphs, scientific papers, etc, then buys speaker A with the better looking measurements and convinces or rationalizes with himself they sound better than speaker B although the ears may tell otherwise. I don’t think anyone does double blind test in their own home to validate their own preference of one speaker over the other is valid or not. Having said that, I do enjoy listening to all my speakers, Paradigm Sigs v3, Revel F208 & M106, Focal Electra 1038BE and 1008BE, KEF LS50.
post #36739 of 36784 Old 01-11-2019, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow! Impressive list of speakers right their.

Ron

post #36740 of 36784 Old 01-11-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshanok View Post
Quote:

Curious if you are one of those individuals who buys speakers based on charts, graphs, scientific papers, etc, then buys speaker A with the better looking measurements and convinces or rationalizes with himself they sound better than speaker B although the ears may tell otherwise. I don’t think anyone does double blind test in their own home to validate their own preference of one speaker over the other is valid or not. Having said that, I do enjoy listening to all my speakers, Paradigm Sigs v3, Revel F208 & M106, Focal Electra 1038BE and 1008BE, KEF LS50.
I don't, or I should say, I haven't in the past. However, it's probably a good way to buy speakers since there is a high probability that any given person will prefer the speaker with the smoothest response, and given the impracticalities of being able to conduct double blind listening tests when purchasing.

Each of those speakers you have listed have extremely smooth on and off axis frequency responses. By objective accounts, they should all sound fantastic.

The Paradigm Signature 8 v.3 has the smoothest frequency response of any Paradigm speaker that I have ever seen. I'd be curious to see the measurememts for the Persona 9H to see how they stack up. Based on the measurements I've seen of some of the other speakers in the Persona line-up, I'm willing to bet they wouldn't be any better than the S8, with perhaps the exception of slightly deeper extension.

Congratulations, your preferences completely fall in-line with what the science predicts.
post #36741 of 36784 Old 01-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
I’m pretty happy with anthems sound not using arc . Its really only ruined music videos for me , but thats about it .

I have a marantz 7010 with my setup and I tried an emotiva amp a while back to see if it made a difference with my studios bc some blowhole in this thread that’s since been kicked out swore up and down it made his studios “sing”. Some people on here probably remember that guy. Anyways, I could hear no discernible difference with the amp. In fact, at louder volumes...it sounded worse to me. It did make a difference in one area and that was noise from the amp as well. It bothered the crap out of me as well so I sent it back for that and also that it made no difference in sound quality. For some people like us, noise from the amp can be maddening and it’s the only thing you can focus on instead of just enjoying the movie or music.
MajorTendonitis likes this.
post #36742 of 36784 Old 01-11-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
I have a marantz 7010 with my setup and I tried an emotiva amp a while back to see if it made a difference with my studios bc some blowhole in this thread that’s since been kicked out swore up and down it made his studios “sing”. Some people on here probably remember that guy. Anyways, I could hear no discernible difference with the amp. In fact, at louder volumes...it sounded worse to me. It did make a difference in one area and that was noise from the amp as well. It bothered the crap out of me as well so I sent it back for that and also that it made no difference in sound quality. For some people like us, noise from the amp can be maddening and it’s the only thing you can focus on instead of just enjoying the movie or music.
Hmmm..... I think I remember that guy. Da Power........
tidwelr1 likes this.

Yamaha 2010
Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Pulse Mini, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's. B&W P5
Zone2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM Zone3-Node 2, Russound X75, Paradigm SE-1's,
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #36743 of 36784 Old 01-11-2019, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

I've been in this hobby since 1994 and have owned Paradigm speakers since 1996, started out with Monitor 7 v1 as my first main speakers from them. My perception of things these days is everything is subjective or situational. In my situation, currently I own Studio 100 v4 towers and love them. I had an Denon x4300h and while to my ears while to me it sounded good with just the AVR driving them, like many in this hobby I never tried a separate amp and was curious if there would be an audible difference. I tried very hard to keep an open mind, not have a bias one way or another, read up on things and asked for opinions. Seems the even keel notion was that it wasn't necessarily about an improvement in sound quality so much as it was more for an improvement in headroom. That said, I am always budget conscious and so I tried an Outlaw 5000 5-channel amplifier first. I can say the difference was negligible, wasn't much of an improvement but nor did it make the sound worse like it did in your case. I also didn't experience any added noise either. Something makes me wonder if you got a defective Emotiva amp. I gathered that the amp I chose while a good one, with just around 135 watts per channel (measured by Audioholics) wouldn't really be much an improvement over what an AVR would do was the reason. Eventually though, my tinkering ways had me go another path. I ended up going with a Crown XLS1502 Drivecore 2-Channel Pro amp that outputs 300 watts per channel. For my Studio 100 v4s, that seemed to do the trick as to my ears it did indeed "open them up" with the mids and mid bass sounding more impactful. Now I won't go as far as saying this should be the case for everyone. I can't even say it's scientific, merely it's based on my perception. The only expression I would say is "your mileage may vary", hence it may work differently in your situation, or be different in your experience...

Last edited by ace0001a; 01-11-2019 at 04:20 PM.
post #36744 of 36784 Old 01-11-2019, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
are there any owners of the newer Premier line? Curious on real world thoughts, as there's not a lot of reviews out there.
I have a pair of 200B with the 500C center in my second system. They sound good, and are a great buy at about 25% off MSRP. At full MSRP, you can find better speakers for the money.
post #36745 of 36784 Old 01-11-2019, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Hmmm..... I think I remember that guy. Da Power........

That was the guy. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #36746 of 36784 Old 01-11-2019, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace0001a View Post
I've been in this hobby since 1994 and have owned Paradigm speakers since 1996, started out with Monitor 7 v1 as my first main speakers from them. My perception of things these days is everything is subjective or situational. In my situation, currently I own Studio 100 v4 towers and love them. I had an Denon x4300h and while to my ears while to me it sounded good with just the AVR driving them, like many in this hobby I never tried a separate amp and was curious if there would be an audible difference. I tried very hard to keep an open mind, not have a bias one way or another, read up on things and asked for opinions. Seems the even keel notion was that it wasn't necessarily about an improvement in sound quality so much as it was more for an improvement in headroom. That said, I am always budget conscious and so I tried an Outlaw 5000 5-channel amplifier first. I can say the difference was negligible, wasn't much of an improvement but nor did it make the sound worse like it did in your case. I also didn't experience any added noise either. Something makes me wonder if you got a defective Emotiva amp. I gathered that the amp I chose while a good one, with just around 135 watts per channel (measured by Audioholics) wouldn't really be much an improvement over what an AVR would do was the reason. Eventually though, my tinkering ways had me go another path. I ended up going with a Crown XLS1502 Drivecore 2-Channel Pro amp that outputs 300 watts per channel. For my Studio 100 v4s, that seemed to do the trick as to my ears it did indeed "open them up" with the mids and mid bass sounding more impactful. Now I won't go as far as saying this should be the case for everyone. I can't even say it's scientific, merely it's based on my perception. The only expression I would say is "your mileage may vary", hence it may work differently in your situation, or be different in your experience...

It could’ve been defective. Not sure. The emotiva amp sounded about the the same to me as my Marantz, but a little harsher with added edge to to the sound and especially at higher volume levels. I’ve been happy with my Marantz setups as I’ve had two different Marantz AVRs driving two different 5.1 systems sufficiently loud without distortion. I just think an AVR with bass management is sufficient for most 5.1 systems without really high volume needs or a really large space. As you said, YMMV. I do think an additional amp would be needed if I went the Atmos route.
post #36747 of 36784 Old 01-11-2019, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikirik View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I plan on picking up a Switch next year. Hopefully the rumored hardware revision is actually going to happen! I'm personally looking forward to retreading Uncharted and the Last of Us. I also want to replay the Dead Space series.

Any other suggestions?
I have a very, very good feeling about the audio in this one. Even without a subwoofer, listening to this trailer with Prestige 15B's is enough you make your hair stand on end.
Vocals sound so good with Prestige series speakers.
Kai Winters likes this.
post #36748 of 36784 Old 01-12-2019, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
It could’ve been defective. Not sure. The emotiva amp sounded about the the same to me as my Marantz, but a little harsher with added edge to to the sound and especially at higher volume levels. I’ve been happy with my Marantz setups as I’ve had two different Marantz AVRs driving two different 5.1 systems sufficiently loud without distortion. I just think an AVR with bass management is sufficient for most 5.1 systems without really high volume needs or a really large space. As you said, YMMV. I do think an additional amp would be needed if I went the Atmos route.
Which Emotiva amp did you have? An amp shouldn't color the sound in any way and should simply amplify the sound fed to it. Yeah I would agree your AVR is good enough to drive speakers like Paradigm Studios well. When I bought the Denon X4300H I did read around and learned it has basically the same amps to the Marantz SR7011 (2016 model AVRs) and I felt it did run my Studio 100s well. But with many enthusiasts saying an amp can improve sound, I just wanted to try it and see if it did in my perception. I can say I am very happy with my Studio 100s running off of my Crown XLS1502, so no regrets for me there.

As for these new Paradigm speakers, all seem cool and I do like reading about them. Don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon as I do love my Studio front sound stage, but again still cool to geek out on their new stuff.
pappaduke likes this.
post #36749 of 36784 Old 01-12-2019, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Paradigm Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace0001a View Post
Which Emotiva amp did you have? An amp shouldn't color the sound in any way and should simply amplify the sound fed to it. Yeah I would agree your AVR is good enough to drive speakers like Paradigm Studios well. When I bought the Denon X4300H I did read around and learned it has basically the same amps to the Marantz SR7011 (2016 model AVRs) and I felt it did run my Studio 100s well. But with many enthusiasts saying an amp can improve sound, I just wanted to try it and see if it did in my perception. I can say I am very happy with my Studio 100s running off of my Crown XLS1502, so no regrets for me there.

As for these new Paradigm speakers, all seem cool and I do like reading about them. Don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon as I do love my Studio front sound stage, but again still cool to geek out on their new stuff.

It was a XPA 3 - gen2. I don’t know what else to tell you other than the emotiva amp to my ears added a bit more sparkle/edge to the top end at louder volumes that I didn’t like. Thats what I heard with my ears. Again, at lower volumes they seemed to sound about the same. As mentioned, I didn’t like the hum coming from the speakers due to the amp as well so I sent it back. I guess I could be in the camp that thinks there can be small differences b/w amps. Denon and Marantz do have a different implementation with their amps in that Marantz uses HDAMs circuit boards which is said to help with music listening. Jdsmoothie mentions this time and again when comparing the differences bw Marantz and Denon in the AVR threads that he frequents. The Marantz seems to me to have a warmer sound than my older 94’ Yamaha top of the line AVR. Is it the HDAMs? I’m not sure. I’ve heard Denon tends to have a little bit different sound compared to Marantz but I haven’t done an A/B comparison. The dealer I dealt with about 6-8 years ago in buying some monitor audio speakers said he liked Marantz AVRs bc he thought they took the edge off as well to his ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tidwelr1; 01-12-2019 at 04:22 PM.
post #36750 of 36784 Old 01-12-2019, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 44
In my experience, many years ago when I started venturing into separate amps, I purchased an XPA2 and XPA3 to go with Denon 5800 receiver powering my Studio 100s. First impression was wow, they were detailed and sounded lively. Thought I made a good decision. But after a couple of months adjusting to the sound, I felt there was something missing or not right. The sound was dry, analytical, virtually no-toe-tapping musicality or emotion behind the music. Definitely no warmth. I could not listen for more than 30 minutes before my attention started to wander and my ears stopped listening. Don’t know if you call it ear fatigue or what. I ended up selling them and bought a used Classe 5-ch amp after reading reviews. It was either that or an Anthem P5. It was on a completely different level for sure. Never once experienced ear fatigue with this amp.

I wonder maybe Emotiva amps don’t mate well with Paradigm speakers. But I would have to say, on paper, the Emotiva amps have impressive specs for the price compared to other amps. I think folks who start to branch from receivers to separates looking for better sound quality will inevitable begin with Emotiva amps on top of their list due to the low price.

On a side note, anyone considering a Denon or Marantz receiver should also seriously consider Anthem MRX receivers. I was blowed away by how good they sound when I purchased one. May not have all the bells and whistles, but if sound quality is top priority, then you won’t be disappointed.
tidwelr1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems