Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-12-2019, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Why is my massive BA VR12 getting a 120 Crossover?

Hello,
I am setting up my system with Audyssey via my denon avr 1400. Audyssey gave my BA VR3 towers a correct/low (40) crossover but it’s telling me that my BA VR12 cc has a 120 crossover. I know this isn’t a problem with Audyssey because it calibrates other centers accurately. What is a possible cause of this and how can I fix it? I’m assuming it’s something to do with wiring. Any info or opinions would be great.
Thanks, Logan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-12-2019, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I'd troubleshoot the speaker to make sure all the drivers in the speaker are getting a signal and operating properly. From what you said, we already know at least some of the drivers are operating properly, but check your cable connections at both ends. Could be cables/connections, could be disconnected internal speaker wires. Hopefully it's something simple. Good Luck
post #3 of 5 Old 01-13-2019, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Found this review..

"Make no mistake: the VR12 begs to be used with a subwoofer. Despite a frequency response of 58Hz to 20kHz (±3dB), which is wa-a-ay more than most so-called full-range bookshelf systems, the VR12 always sounded to these ears as forward, shouty and bass-shy."

I'd go with placement being the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-13-2019, 02:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
If it's not placement or some oddity with the mic during measurements, try swapping the positive/negative wires (or in other words, wire it in reverse). Not impossible for internal wiring weirdness causing it to be out of phase. Although I'd expect Audyssey to tell you if it was out of phase...

120 can't be anywhere close to where it should be though. I have the smaller VR10, and I think audyssey set it at 80.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 01-13-2019 at 04:04 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-13-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7469 Post(s)
Liked: 4992
40hz is too low for any speaker including mine that go down to 39hz; I use the "small" speaker setting and 80hz for my towers and my 60lb center channel with dual 7" main drivers.

You can use these test tones to verify where the frequency response of your center channel drops off.

Simply remove the negative wire from all other speakers and play these tones in 5 channel stereo or mono or similar.

http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones...rsts20-200.php

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers