• 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 1 Post By sdrucker

post #1 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Smile Tower upgrade. RF7III competitiors for $2-2.5k

Hello all, I am looking to upgrade my main towers. As ofright now, the far ahead front runner is the Klipsch RF-7III. The reason forthe upgrade is 1. Just because and 2. I wouldlike to get a second set up going in my bedroom and I would either move the 83sup there or maybe sell them and start fresh. My budget is going to be $2,000 -$2,500 but would definitely prefer to keep it on the lower end of that spectrumas that is what I can get the RF-7IIIs for(which is a stellar deal).
I prefer a speaker that is a bit on the brighter side of thespectrum but not harsh(think SVS prime or Klipsch reference series). I amprobably 80% music, 10% movies and 10% sports/TV. With that being said, musicis the priority. I am sure any speakers mentioned will have me plenty happy forHT. It is pretty rare that I don’t have the volume turned up pretty high whenmusic is playing. Typically 55-70 on my Marantz 5012. I would go higher but I am currently in the end unit of a townhome and do my best to be a reasonable neighbor but will be looking to move mid year. My music preferences are all over the map, mainly EDM/House/Trap (a lot with of female vocals), R&B, Pop,Acoustic covers/mixes, classical, country and alternative and punk rock. Depending on my mood and the current song I do a lot of switching between 2.1 stereo,direct and pure direct. Occasionally I’ll put it in multi channel stereo.

Current set up:
Receiver: Marantz 5012. Amp: Emotiva XPA5 Gen1. L/R: Klipsch RF-83. Center: Klipsch RP450c. Surrounds: Klipsch RS42II Sub:Rythmik FV15HP (will be adding a second eventually)

Room size is about 13lX20wX10h. Speakers are on the long wall about 12’ apart. MLP is about 10’ or so from each tower. I have them toed in with about 15” between the wall and rear ports. The entire left side of the room is open to the dining room (so you could technically say its more like 13X35X10) and the kitchen is around the corner from dining room with the breakfast bar dividing them. I would prefer a black speaker (NOT piano) but color is not an absolute deal breaker, just a preference to match the rest of the speakers and sub. Obviously the RF-7III gets a few bonus points as the copper woofers will match the rest. The ability to play loud and sound good is priority.

Other speakers I am currently considering are Klipsch Forte IIIs, PSA MTM-210T and JBL 590s but the reason for this post is to hear some opinions on other speakers that may fit the bill and to find the speaker that will fit my needs best. I am really trying to learn here as most of my speaker knowledge strictly pertains to Klipsch.
Side note: any money saved will be put towards asecond FV15HP or the upcoming bedroom setup.

Receiver: Marantz 5012 Power: Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 1
Towers: Klipsch RF83 Center: Klipsch RP450C
Surrounds: Klipsch RS42II
Sub: Rythmik FV15HP

Last edited by Justin Andrew Parks; 01-12-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 01:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 2368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Andrew Parks View Post
[FONT=Arial]
Other speakers I am currently considering are Klipsch Forte IIIs, PSA MTM-210T and JBL 590s but the reason for this post is to hear some opinions on other speakers that may fit the bill and to find the speaker that will fit my needs best. I am really trying to learn here as most of my speaker knowledge strictly pertains to Klipsch.
Side note: any money saved will be put towards asecond FV15HP or the upcoming bedroom setup.
No recommendations, as I would go for the Klipsch RF-7 III myself, just a note that the PSA can't really be used in a 2.0, as they are designed to be used with a subwoofer and don't extend as low as the other two you mention. Also, they get mixed reviews for music, some love them for that, some don't. On the other hand, the PSA will be able to play louder with less power than the other two.

Denon AVR-X4300H (2nd try), Emotiva XPA-3 Gen3
Klipsch RP-280f LR & SR, RP-450c, RP-260f SB, pending Velodyne Deco Atmos
Rythmik F18 x 2
OPPO UDP-203, HTPC, TiVo Roamio, Adequate Samsung 4k
Turn Down For What!?
post #3 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

That is my concern with the PSA option, they have some terrific reviews for HT but some are mixed when it comes to music and that is my main use. I've read a lot of reviews/comparisons of the RF7III and Forte III and it seems to be quite a toss up based on personal preference. For aesthetics and fit between those two, the RF7III has a slight edge. I would really like to hear some thoughts on the 590 vs RF7III. From what I have read, the 590 is a pretty legit speaker.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 445
The JBL 590’s are killer, especially when they are $1000 a pair.

I would also look at KEF’s offerings.

I’m wondering if it’s not actually the “brightness” of the speaker that you prefer, but more the detail that elevated treble response gives. And with this, I’m going to suggest something with a Raal tweeter. Extremely detailed but not bright. Try it out and see how you like it. Ascend Acoustics’ Sierra Towers or Salk Sound’s Song Towers come to mind.

Like the person above said, PSA is great for 2.1, but not 2.0. They do not extend very low surprisingly with their 10” woofers.

If you wait a bit, I saw some new SVS Prime(?) towers coming out, those might be worth a shot. It’s supposedly supposed to fix the harshness of the tweeter and other stuff. Problem is, is that I have no idea when they will be released and they don’t have any official reviews yet.

Canton and Focal make some good stuff too, check out some of the stuff sold on Accessories4Less.com from them. You can get $4000 MSRP speakers for $2000. Or less
post #5 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
The JBL 590’s are killer, especially when they are $1000 a pair.

I would also look at KEF’s offerings.

I’m wondering if it’s not actually the “brightness” of the speaker that you prefer, but more the detail that elevated treble response gives. And with this, I’m going to suggest something with a Raal tweeter. Extremely detailed but not bright. Try it out and see how you like it. Ascend Acoustics’ Sierra Towers or Salk Sound’s Song Towers come to mind.

Like the person above said, PSA is great for 2.1, but not 2.0. They do not extend very low surprisingly with their 10” woofers.

If you wait a bit, I saw some new SVS Prime(?) towers coming out, those might be worth a shot. It’s supposedly supposed to fix the harshness of the tweeter and other stuff. Problem is, is that I have no idea when they will be released and they don’t have any official reviews yet.

Canton and Focal make some good stuff too, check out some of the stuff sold on Accessories4Less.com from them. You can get $4000 MSRP speakers for $2000. Or less
You make an incredibly valid point about elevated treble vs. brightness. I have only really been into "home audio" for about a year and a half so there is still a lot of learning taking place here. I will look into the Ascend and Salk offerings. My question off the bat is; are they both going to excel at higher volumes like the 590's or RF7III? Their "smaller" size causes initial concern although it very well may be completely unwarranted.

I believe the new SVS Prime series is supposed to be called Prime Pinnacle which I forgot to add to the list as it has me very intrigued. But, like you mentioned, details are limited at this point. (also, the more I learn, the more I fall out of love with SVS... their subs anyways). I don't plan on pulling the trigger until spring sometime and my 83s are still performing wonderfully so time is not much of an issue. Based on my listed preferences and desires, are there any specific KEF, Canton or Focal offerings you could recommend?

I really appreciate the replies this far! Thank you, Gentlemen.

post #6 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
If you dont mind a little bit of diy maybe consider the diysoundgroup Maximus-12, for the bass bin you can use the MBM-12 flatpack, but will need to cut some MDF for the HF and midrange:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-a...us-12-kit.html
cocrh likes this.
post #7 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2605 Post(s)
Liked: 2142
Quote:
You make an incredibly valid point about elevated treble vs. brightness. I have only really been into "home audio" for about a year and a half so there is still a lot of learning taking place here. I will look into the Ascend and Salk offerings. My question off the bat is; are they both going to excel at higher volumes like the 590's or RF7III? Their "smaller" size causes initial concern although it very well may be completely unwarranted.

I believe the new SVS Prime series is supposed to be called Prime Pinnacle which I forgot to add to the list as it has me very intrigued. But, like you mentioned, details are limited at this point. (also, the more I learn, the more I fall out of love with SVS... their subs anyways). I don't plan on pulling the trigger until spring sometime and my 83s are still performing wonderfully so time is not much of an issue. Based on my listed preferences and desires, are there any specific KEF, Canton or Focal offerings you could recommend?

The newly released Paradigm Premier 800f would be a good candidate for your listening preferences. Ecellent detail and clarity with a good sensitivity rating. They would handle higher volume quite well. The Canton Vento is a level above the Klipsch and Paradigm, but a little less efficient. That said, they'll likely play at louder levels than you care to listen at paired with tha XPA amp.
http://www.paradigm.com/en/floorstanding/premier-800f
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ss-each/1.html

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #8 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 97
It may be worth your time to check out the Revel Concerta2 F36.

http://revelspeakers.com/productdet...oduct/f36.html

HT: Onkyo TX-RZ810,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,LG PF1500,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,Technics SL-1300TT,Toshiba SD-4960 player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 Onkyo TX-SR702 rcvr,Technics SL-D202 TT,YamahaDV-S586 player,JBL L112s
post #9 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I was lucky enough to be able to hear the rf7 III at Youthmans (youtube channel) house a couple of months ago. As soon as I heard those I wanted to upgrade the klipsch towers that I had. The rf7 III sounded really damn good to me and can get loud. Plenty of bass if you just want to run 2.0. Very clear and dynamic without being harsh to my ears. So that narrowed my list down to the rf7III and the Jbl 590. Then the 590s went on sale and I jumped on them at 900 for the pair. As soon as i hooked them up I was blown away by how good they were. Clear and dynamic with really good imaging just like the rf7III. The rf7 are more sensitive and have better bass output so if you are 2.0 I would get those. The bass on the jbl are nice and tight just not as much output as the klipsch. I run subs when I listen to music so I was covered in the bass department. I liked the jbls so much that I ordered another pair that night since the sale was still on for my surround channels. So for 1800 I was able to get two pair of 590s and 150 for the center channel speaker. So yes the JBLs are the real deal and you can believe all the great reviews you read about them. With the money I saved on the sale I was able to order another pair of HSU vtf 3 mk5 subs. So now I have four subs as well. I really like both speakers and you can't go wrong either way in my opinion. The jbl sale will give you more money to put towards another rythmik sub and that would be a big difference going dual subs for you.

Youthman also had some paradigm premier towers setup beside the rf7III to compare. There was no comparison to my ears and the klipsch just sounded way better and the price difference at full retail is only 800 dollars more for the klipsch. I was shocked at how much better the klipsch speaker sounded. The paradigm speaker was not my cup of tea and did nothing for my ears in comparison to the rf7iii. Youthman felt the same way as I did and liked the klipsch much better as well.

Last edited by ctripp2448; 01-12-2019 at 07:28 AM.
post #10 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
The newly released Paradigm Premier 800f would be a good candidate for your listening preferences. Ecellent detail and clarity with a good sensitivity rating. They would handle higher volume quite well. The Canton Vento is a level above the Klipsch and Paradigm, but a little less efficient. That said, they'll likely play at louder levels than you care to listen at paired with tha XPA amp.
http://www.paradigm.com/en/floorstanding/premier-800f
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ss-each/1.html
The paradigm premier did not handle high volume well at all compared to the klipsch rf 7iii at youthman house when I heard them. It really sounded awful to be honest with you trying to keep up with the klipsch. Those smaller drivers just cannot handle the volume like the klipsch in 2.0. All four of us guys that were listening thought that it was no contest between the two.
post #11 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Check out the newly revamped Paragigm Monitor SE series (not the Premier series noted above)

http://www.paradigm.com/en/floorsta...nitor-se-6000f

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
post #12 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I believe the new SVS Prime series is supposed to be called Prime Pinnacle which I forgot to add to the list as it has me very intrigued. But, like you mentioned, details are limited at this point. (also, uthe more I learn, the more I fall out of love with SVS... their subs anyways). I don't plan on pulling the trigger until spring sometime and my 83s are still performing wonderfully so time is not much of an issue. Based on my listed preferences and desires, are there any specific KEF, Canton or Focal offerings you could recommend?

Ah Prime Pinnacle, thank you.

I too have fallen out of love from SVS. Their bright speakers, underperforming subwoofers, and overpriced interconnects have done nothing but lose my respect from them. Of course, it’s really hard to compare with Rythmik, HSU, and JTR. I don’t blame them.

The 590’s and especially the RF7iii’s are going to be a whole lot more efficient than Salks or Ascends, but I would expect at normal listening levels that the detail and precision of both would beat out the others. They also have smaller woofers than the JBL’s and Klipsch, but I would say the bass is still pretty prominent, quality over quantity is the motif there. Of course it will not matter when used with a subwoofer, but the detail will still be there. In a 2.1 or 2.2 setup, I would expect the Ascends or Salks to win, but 2.0 would go to the JBL’s or Klipsch, most likely the Klipsch with the 10” woofers. But at low listening levels, again, I would expect the detail to really outclass these JBL’s and Klipsch, but if you want 100+ dB, I don’t think that the Ascends and Salks WONT hold their composure, but rather the JBL’s and Klipsch would hold it better... do you get what I’m saying?

As for Kef, I would look at the Q950’s.

I’m not too experienced with Canton, but those Vento 890.2’s look really good, $2600 a pair of A4Less.

Focal, id go with the Aria 936 off A4Less again. $2400 a pair.

DIY is also a fantastic idea mentioned by other people. The Titan-615’s are killers for only $700 a piece. You could do an LCR of them within budget. I would also expect them to be better than almost everything mentioned above. The 1099 is also a killer, and you can do an LCR of them within budget also. Go check out Diysoundgroup.com for all of the kits.

Good luck!
ctripp2448 likes this.
post #13 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just remember, when comparing sensitivities, that Klipsch overstates theirs by about 5.5 db. Still very sensitive speakers, just not as sensitive as claimed.
So, assuming JBL's aren't overstated, and I don't know if that's true or not, the Klipsch is only a little more sensitive than them.
post #14 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2414 Post(s)
Liked: 2189
Quote:
That is my concern with the PSA option, they have some terrific reviews for HT but some are mixed when it comes to music and that is my main use. I've read a lot of reviews/comparisons of the RF7III and Forte III and it seems to be quite a toss up based on personal preference. For aesthetics and fit between those two, the RF7III has a slight edge. I would really like to hear some thoughts on the 590 vs RF7III. From what I have read, the 590 is a pretty legit speaker.

Between the RF7IIIs and the new ForteIII my personal opinion would be the Forte. Never heard either but based on reviews it's a better speaker for music. Seems to be more refined with a better mid range thanks to the 3 way design.

But, check these out, then google reviews. http://www.spatialaudio.us/store/ If you have room for them they seem like they would be very good for your usage.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #15 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Between the RF7IIIs and the new ForteIII my personal opinion would be the Forte. Never heard either but based on reviews it's a better speaker for music. Seems to be more refined with a better mid range thanks to the 3 way design.

But, check these out, then google reviews. http://www.spatialaudio.us/store/ If you have room for them they seem like they would be very good for your usage.
lol spatials !
$ 25,000.00 speaker, with absolutely no info on it, except THE ADD TO CART BUTTON !
WOW, ILL TAKE APAIR

very strange looking speakers for sure..
post #16 of 28 Old 01-12-2019, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post
lol spatials !
$ 25,000.00 speaker, with absolutely no info on it, except THE ADD TO CART BUTTON !
WOW, ILL TAKE APAIR

very strange looking speakers for sure..
Really, you can't even navigate a website? They start at $2K a pair. There are quite a few reviews if you bother to look.

Seriously you need help. 🙄
post #17 of 28 Old 01-13-2019, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Really, you can't even navigate a website? They start at $2K a pair. There are quite a few reviews if you bother to look.

Seriously you need help.

They may start at $2000 but there’s still no info on any of them. It’s well within his right to be skeptical
post #18 of 28 Old 01-13-2019, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They may start at $2000 but there’s still no info on any of them. It’s well within his right to be skeptical
What do you mean there's no info? Go to yhe main page. Google them. They are reviews. Quite a few. More than psa or many others.

I'd be more sceptical of psa than spatial. Based on reviews.
post #19 of 28 Old 01-13-2019, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tower upgrade. RF7III competitiors for $2-2.5k

Quote:
What do you mean there's no info? Go to yhe main page. Google them. They are reviews. Quite a few. More than psa or many others.

I'd be more sceptical of psa than spatial. Based on reviews.

I meant specifications. I’m sure there’s reviews.

Okay never mind, there are some specs. The lumina’s are missing theirs however.

Last edited by Russdawg1; 01-13-2019 at 12:33 AM.
post #20 of 28 Old 01-13-2019, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I meant specifications. I’m sure there’s reviews.
Specifications are all there. That is the page to order. The main page has all the specs.
post #21 of 28 Old 01-13-2019, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

They certainly look interesting, however, those lumina's are way overpriced.
They cost more than the mediocre Chevrolet they are named after.
The bottom of the line speakers are affordable adjacent, and look interesting, I certainly would keep an open mind.
post #22 of 28 Old 01-13-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 149
what's with these dudes out in Utah with their bazaar speakers and specs. tekton,zu audio, and now spatial. must be something in the salt water out there.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....55" Oled Lg C7 55" Samsung B8500 Fald Channel Master Dvr+ Onkyo RZ900 avr Crown xls 2002 2ch amp Samsung K8500 UBR player Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Svs Satellite Surrounds Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub

Last edited by airgas1998; 01-13-2019 at 05:18 PM.
post #23 of 28 Old 01-13-2019, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post
what's with these dudes out in Utah with their bazaar speakers and specs. tekton,zues and now spatial. must be something in the salt water out there.

lol !!
post #24 of 28 Old 01-16-2019, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Klipsch RF-7III$2,000
Klipsch Forte III
JBL Studio 590$1,000
Revel Concerta2 F36 $2,000
SVS Prime Pinnacle $1,500
Ascend acoustics sierra 2 tower with RAAL $2,700
KEF Q950
Canton Vento 890.2 $2,600
Focal Aria 936 $2,800
Spatial Audio M4 Turbo S $2,000

Here is the short list so far. I clearly have a lot of research to do but this is where I am at based on the research so far and the recommendations that have been made. If anybody thinks that there is a speaker on here that would not stack up with the rest of the competition, I would love to hear your thoughts and why. Same goes for any outstanding front runners. I also need to factor in warranties and any other factors of that nature that need to be considered.

Side note: sorry for the slow reply, work decided to get all sorts of crazy on me this weekend/week so I was relatively unavailable the last few days.

post #25 of 28 Old 01-16-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
You have a diverse list of speakers there that all sound different. What sounds better for one person may not sound better to another. I have owned a few of the speakers on your list (currently own JBL 590's and some Klipch RP series). I have also owned some SVS Prime speakers (very briefly, just not my cup of tea) and have demoed the Revel and Focals. Also lots of KEF.

The Revels and Focals are really good speakers to me but are clearly higher in your budget. I don't have experience with the Klipsch RF-7MKIII but I know people really like them and since you already like the brand it could be the best for you.

I love my JBL590's. I mean really love them. They are the favorite speaker I have ever owned and are really good for music and movies. If you can find them for under $500 apiece (I paid like $399 apiece for mine shipped) I think they are hard to beat, but based on your budget I think you need to demo some of these speakers in person if you can and make a decision before you buy. Or buy some speakers that have a good return policy.

It's just such a wide open list and all these speakers sound more different than the same.
post #26 of 28 Old 01-16-2019, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I went from RF-82s to Forte IIIs in a stereo only setup and it was a huge upgrade.

The Forte IIIs sound great, the bass is substantial and I think for a floor standing stereo speaker the 3 way design is better then the two way RF-7s. I ditched the subs I was using with the RF-82s and don't regret it a bit.

I also like the looks and finish options on the Forte IIIs better then the RF-7s. Just my $0.02. I bought them blind, but figured they would be a nice upgrade from the RF-82s and I wasn't wrong... My multi-channel reference system is all Focal with Be tweeters in front, honestly not sure which I prefer for stereo.
post #27 of 28 Old 01-16-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
JBL 708p hands down. You can get B stock for about $1100 each. Active crossover, onboard PEQ, amazing off-axis response, posted measurements, and sound quality that will better all those you are looking at. I happen to own the JBL 590 which is a fantastic speaker, but the 708p destroys it on all facets with the exception of peak output. The 708p will hit reference all day, every day at 10'. Seriously, I have owned Klipsch, multiple JBLS, etc and these 7 series from JBL are freakin impressive. The 7 series are used in most of the production rooms your Blu-Rays are mastered on. A good friend of mine is demoing one of my pair while my room is down for remodel. @sdrucker can give you some direct feedback . He has been around high-end audio for many years owning many top-tier products. They are on the ugly side, but the Darth Vader 590 motif isn't going to win any beauty contests I just ordered another set of 705p for my living room. I am 100% sold on this line.
+1 on this. In the past, I've had Klipsch RF-7s, DefTech Mythos ST, PSB Imagine T2s as my L/R mains, and now the PSB Imagine T3s. But while I probably won't do a full speaker swap for logistic reasons, after a few weeks with the 708s, I couldn't recommend them more as a starting point for a room and am considering buying a pair for specialized listening to two-channel+sub music in my room or the living room. They should fit your budget, and if you want to use them for HT, even leave you a little to add subs or at least reduce your cost to do so.

I've been doing a fair amount of level-matched A/B comparison of the 708ps vs. my existing PSB Imagine T3s, for extended two-channel+sub listening. Both have DNA tracing back to the Floyd Toole leadership at the NRCC in the late 1980s, and have had refinements from Paul Barton and the Harman R&D team respectively to provide neutral, reliable on-axis as well as off-axis sound characteristics. So neither suck .

However, the 708s offer a level of detail and depth of the soundstage on a range of content, but particularly on well-recorded music that emphasizes clean vocals and instrumentation, that are hard to beat. When I listen to Buena Vista Social Club, Ricky Lee Jones, or a capella vocals, you can hear songs with individual voicing and a focused soundstage. I played a deep cut from Kansas called "Sparks of the Tempest", with verses that have twin lead guitars in each channel. The individual notes of the guitars stand out. My existing speakers aren't too far behind, but there's a difference, at least for two-channel. The advantages are less when I use DSU, with a center extraction and an upmixer with my PSB-based multichannel setup, but that's not a true apples to apples comparison of course.

If you can start over, the 708 or 705s are really a place of departure for your situation, unless your budget is much bigger and you can do Revel Salons or at least the JBL M2s. It's a step toward moving from the "circle of confusion", if you follow, in the recording to sound reproduction process, since JBL is so dominant in the music post-production in the studio. And IMO that's a huge selling point considering we're reproducing what is happening there.
Molon_Labe likes this.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification

Last edited by sdrucker; 01-16-2019 at 05:49 PM.
post #28 of 28 Old 01-16-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
My question off the bat is; are they both going to excel at higher volumes like the 590's or RF7III? Their "smaller" size causes initial concern although it very well may be completely unwarranted.
The website shows two different sensitivites: Anachoic Chamber (89) and "typical in-room" (92). With the ability to handle 300 Watts continuously... if you get something like "typical in-room" performance, I'd personally think they'd play PLENTY loud, but you sound like you might like to listen louder than I....

If *size* is your thing, take a look at Tekton. I've never heard them, so this isn't a personal recommendation, just... I know of them, and I've always admired their *size*. They're big. Real big.

I'm personally eyeballing a pair of Ascend Sierra Towers with the RAAL upgrade, myself, fwiw...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers