Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-09-2019, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
$0 - $2500 Projector and screen budget

Hello all, putting a (mostly) dedicated home theater in the basement. The room is an 8 ft ceiling height and is 19x15. It will have a 6x4 opening in the rear wall that contains a bar top, because I want to . I know it's not ideal for theater lighting control, but it's in a basement so I can control entire basement when watching movies if needed. However, I also want to play darts and drink at the bar with the guys while game is on in theater room.

I am an avid gamer and would like to hook my PC (master race) to the projector as well. I would need at least 60hz from the projector and would love sub 30ms latency.

I was reading about the Ben Q projectors and they seem a bit more gamer friendly than other, I also keep hearing great things about the 120 inch silver ticket screen. Any help or suggestions would be awesome.

I'm thinking a high end 1080p would be better than a entry level 4k projector, but I don't know. I'm ok with staying with 1080p for a couple more years until more 4k content come available, and 4k projectors get better performance at lower price point.

Thanks!
Adam King is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 01-10-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 7,396
Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3327 Post(s)
Liked: 2420
The 1080p models have significantly lower input lag than the 4K models and so are better for gaming. The BenQ HT2050A and HT2150ST both have excellent lag times of just 16 ms whereas 4K models have more than twice that lag. The two models are virtually identical in performance except the HT2150ST is a short throw model that can throw the same size image as the HT2050A from closer to the screen. For a 120" screen the HT2050A needs to be mounted with the front of the lens in a range of from 10' 1" to 13' 1" to the screen whereas the HT2150ST throw range is 6' to 7' 3" to a 120" screen. Silver Ticket screens are highly recommended for a combination of good performance and low cost.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 01-10-2019, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
The 1080p models have significantly lower input lag than the 4K models and so are better for gaming. The BenQ HT2050A and HT2150ST both have excellent lag times of just 16 ms whereas 4K models have more than twice that lag. The two models are virtually identical in performance except the HT2150ST is a short throw model that can throw the same size image as the HT2050A from closer to the screen. For a 120" screen the HT2050A needs to be mounted with the front of the lens in a range of from 10' 1" to 13' 1" to the screen whereas the HT2150ST throw range is 6' to 7' 3" to a 120" screen. Silver Ticket screens are highly recommended for a combination of good performance and low cost.
Thanks, the HT2050A is significantly lower cost wise than I was expecting, can't complain about that. Looks like I should be able to get the projector and screen for less tan half my budget. I guess I'll use that money for a few sound panels and beer then . thanks.
Adam King is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 01-10-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 7,396
Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3327 Post(s)
Liked: 2420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam King View Post
Thanks, the HT2050A is significantly lower cost wise than I was expecting, can't complain about that. Looks like I should be able to get the projector and screen for less tan half my budget. I guess I'll use that money for a few sound panels and beer then . thanks.
I was going to suggest that you put the savings into your audio system but it sounds as if you may already have one and might just add sound (acoustic) panels. For the full big screen projection experience it's important to have an audio system that can create a big soundstage that matches the big screen. A good soundbar may be able to match up in scale with a TV but not a big projection image.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 01-10-2019, 04:40 PM
Senior Member
 
MJ DOOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: COOK COUNTY, IL
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If you're budget is $2500 than the HT2050 should be at the bottom of your list. If 1080p is fine, the following projectors are all better than the BenQ, better color brightness, better contrast, better placement flexibility, and input lag less than 30ms

Epson 4000/4010
Epson 5040
Epson 3700/3500
Sony VPL-HW45ES

For the screen I would get a Elite Cinegrey 3D fixed screen since your room is more home entertainment than home theater.

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
MJ DOOM is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 01-10-2019, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
If you're budget is $2500 than the HT2050 should be at the bottom of your list. If 1080p is fine, the following projectors are all better than the BenQ, better color brightness, better contrast, better placement flexibility, and input lag less than 30ms

Epson 4000/4010
Epson 5040
Epson 3700/3500
Sony VPL-HW45ES

For the screen I would get a Elite Cinegrey 3D fixed screen since your room is more home entertainment than home theater.
I guess I should say my max budget is $2500, If i can get something that is still very nice for less than that's sweet. The projectors you linked are all at least 2x- 3x the price, that's fine, but will someone who is completely new to projectors think it's worth 2-3x the money?

I guess I could just order them both and see if the more expensive one are worth the money and then return one .
Adam King is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 01-11-2019, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 2,536
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 411
For beginners the entry level BenQ's like the HT1070a or HT2050a are excellent choices. The only time I would recommend going for a higher end projector is if your setting up a truly dedicated space with dark painted ceiling and walls with full ambient light control. The Sony HW45es is the best 1080p projector on the market but does sell for close to twice the BenQ 2050a. The Epson 3100/3700 (the 3500 is long discontinued and vastly improved in the newer models) is a light cannon and highly recommended for fighting some ambient light and also has great placement flexibility and only a few $100 more then the BenQ. The Epson 4000/4010 will accept a 4K/HDR source but is only 1/2 4K (1080p shiffted 2x) costs about the same as the Sony, has contrast a little better then the 3100 with power lens memory. The 5040 is at the top of your budget and has the the same features of the 4000 with much higher contrast would be my recommended projector for a dedicated space.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
rekbones is online now  
post #8 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A friend of mine is guiding me through the home theater process.

I’ve had some decent gear before but only TVs.

I’m not sold on 4K or HDR (I’ve actually sold some 4K items because it was overkill for me) so I want 1080p only. But my friend zooms and I’d like to try that paired with a cheap 2.35 screen.

Do I have any options used or new in a 1080p projector with motorized zoom and lens shift for around $1000?
Maximum Eifert is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Eifert View Post
A friend of mine is guiding me through the home theater process.

I’ve had some decent gear before but only TVs.

I’m not sold on 4K or HDR (I’ve actually sold some 4K items because it was overkill for me) so I want 1080p only. But my friend zooms and I’d like to try that paired with a cheap 2.35 screen.

Do I have any options used or new in a 1080p projector with motorized zoom and lens shift for around $1000?
I kinda agree with you on the 4K being overkill. I have a 4k TV in my living room and it hardly ever gets used with 4k content. It definitely looks better when I watch a netflix show or movie in 4k, but when I watch 1080p content I have no complaints. Once Comcast starts broadcasting in 4k I will make the jump I think.
Adam King is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off