Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-16-2018, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Questions about my new projector. Plzz help..

Hi,

I have a few questions about my projector and my current home cinema setup, so I hope somebody around here can help me out.

I recently bought an Epson TW-7300, which apparently is Europe's version of the 4040. I still have to hook it up, but I'm lost in the woods about HDMI cables and have some questions about HDR.

In the past I purchased an HDMI cable of Monster to connect my TV to my AV Receiver. Never had any problems with it, but they are quite expensive.
Now I'm looking for an HDMI cable to connect my projector to my AV Receiver, it must be at least 40 feet long or longer (appr. 12 meters)
But I've read somewhere that HDMI cables over a long distance loose in picture quality.

So now I'm asking myself:
a) would I buy a normal but yet expensive HDMI cable from a know brand?
b) or should I go for a fiber optic HDMI cable, who are more expensive? If so, is any brand good enough?

Also, I'm confused about the 4K thing.
So my projector is a native Full HD, but can upscale to 4K. So it's not really a native 4K projector, right?
Also, a normal HDMI cable is not capable to project 4K images? yes? no? Or only at shorter distance?

I'm also confused that my projector has HDR. But I don't understand how a non 4K projector has HDR.
I always thought this was a feature on a 4K display (tv/projector)
Also I am confused with HDR10+ who's available on 4K blu-ray movies. Is HDR10+ the same as HDR or what? Can somebody please explain this to me?

And finally, does an HDR signal passes through your AV Receiver? My receiver supports 4K, but I'm not sure how this works with HDR.
Reason about my question is, I only have 1 HDMI out. So maybe I need to look for a splitter or switch.

If this message should be put else where, please feel free to move it.

I'm looking forward to some of your answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-16-2018, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
HDR is a feature introduced as part of the HDMI 2.0 specification. Any display can ACCEPT a HDR signal if it complies with the standards that the HDR signal requires. Projectors are pretty darn bad at utilizing HDR in any meaningful manner because they aren't bright enough. So, you get compatibility, but that's about it.

You are REALLY overthinking HDMI and you really got suckered with the Monster Cable. You made someone a lot of money that day, but didn't get any additional quality.

Here's the deal: If you can't easily run a 40'+ cable in your home and it will be a nightmare to install/replace, then get a decent HDMI cable which is certified to support 18Gb/s data rates. That fully complies with the HDMI 2.0 requirement and will support the current maximum standards in place.

If yo can easily replace the HDMI cable, then a 10Gb/s HDMI cable (high speed) is fine. These are readily available for $30 or so on Amazon and the like. They work fine and do a great job. If it doesn't work, you just send it back. You can even get ones rated at 18Gb/s for not a ton more money, but the reality remains is that they sometimes work well, and sometimes do not work at all.

HDMI is a digital signal. It tends to either deliver a video signal completely, or not deliver a video signal at all. So, it does not 'lose quality', it tends to completely fail after a certain distance, with a signal of higher bandwidth. So, buy a cable, hook it up, run as much data through it as the projector supports, and see if you get an image. If you do, then you are likely good for the life of the projector.

Now, the rub... If it is really hard to run that HDMI cable, then you may want to consider getting that 18Gb/s cable, but the Epson does NOT support 18Gb/s HDMI, so you really don't have anyway to test it. The HDMI connections on the Epson are limited to 10Gb/s. Such is life.

Do NOT buy from overpriced major manufacturers. That is, unless you don't care about giving away money. Then feel free to buy Monster and Bose and call it a day.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-17-2018, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Here's a good cable, decent price that should support your needs with that long of a run... if they ship to your location.
Its an active cable, so be sure to hook up the correct ends labeled source and display.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14131

HTD Versa HTSI LRC, HTD HD-W80 S/R surrounds, HTD HD-R80 x4 Heights, SVS PB-2000 sub x2, Pioneer Elite SC-97 in 7.1.4, Emotiva A-300, Oppo 203, Sony BDP-S6500, VAPEX 120" fixed, Epson 5040UB, Harmony Elite, Phillips Hue, HT Design Somerset Seating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-11-2019, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you guys for your replies!!
I'll reply your answers later, when I have more time.

For now, I have a question.

I'm planning on buying a Panasonic blu-ray player, but can't decide between 2 models.
I'm not sure which one would suit me best with my current setup.

- Panasonic UB400 (2017 model)
OR
- Panasonic UB420 (2018 model): same as the UB400, but has: dolby atmos/dts:x, HDR10+, HDR optimizer which the UB400 doesn't seem to have.

I can buy the
- UB400 at 230 € or appr. 263 $
OR
- UB420 at 270 € or appr. 309 $

Do I have enough with the UB400 or is the UB420 a better choice?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-12-2019, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Atmos is pretty cool if you have the speakers which support it and a receiver to do the same. I'm not sure I would care about HDR10+.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP