Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #151 of 200 Old 12-21-2018, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, do you know if i need a special plug or adaptor for the projector when it comes directly from china?

Also do we pay any customs when it comes to the US? I shipped it from Taobao to a Chinese warehouse and they're giving me options on how to ship. Any particular detail i need to know? Is DHL the best option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
I just noticed today that LightInTheBox is selling the 4k version now. They're not calling it the Lune 4k, rather they're using the model number XGIMI XJ02P, and the only way to seemingly find it through their janky search engine is to use the keyword "Lune", looking for "XGIMI XJ02P" won't bring it up. I won't mention the price, but it's more than I'd want to pay for it, though it's still within the range of this subforum. As I mentioned in PM, LightInTheBox does this odd thing where they state,

"Processing Time: Will be calculated when item is selected
Shipping Time: Expedited Express 3-4 business days"

What they mean by that is that they'll wait a month while they seemingly need to acquire the product themselves, and can then turn around and sell it third party. Once they actually ship it (through DHL) it then takes 3-4 business days. So it's a bit of a wait between ordering and receiving. While I haven't had any major issues dealing with them, I would have rather gone with a company like Gear Best, but oh well. I'm surprised you got Taobao working for ya. It seemed like a headache to me. I also had issues entering my phone number, and just gave up on creating account there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 200 Old 12-21-2018, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanisnyc View Post
Hi guys, do you know if i need a special plug or adaptor for the projector when it comes directly from china?

Also do we pay any customs when it comes to the US? I shipped it from Taobao to a Chinese warehouse and they're giving me options on how to ship. Any particular detail i need to know? Is DHL the best option?
I can't speak for the 4k version, but I know that with the 1080p version, LightInTheBox sent along a simple plug adapter that fits over the Chinese plug (actually, looking at their website, looks like they do the same for the 4k version). Voltage shouldn't be a problem as both Lune versions appear to be able to handle 110v and 240v.

I thought for certain I was going to have to pay some sort of customs fee or tax for the 1080p Lune (and DHL's website even indicated as much), but customs waived it through without a fee. I have heard that there's a fee for products that cost over $2000 though, so I don't know what to tell you there.

I did end up having to pay a foreign transaction fee through the credit card I used (a Mastercard), but that's dependant on the credit card itself. I used a Discover card when I bought the PET Crystal screen because they waive transaction fees. XY Screens also offered to lower the invoice price so that I wouldn't be hit with any customs fees, but that wasn't really necessary, still, it was nice that they offered.

Last edited by adrift; 12-21-2018 at 02:14 PM.
post #153 of 200 Old 12-21-2018, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DSammy View Post
I'm wondering if a couple of the concerns/complaints about the 1080p Lune have been rectified in the 4K Lune:
1. Outside of a few pre-set modes (generally brightness levels), there are a lack of fine tune user settings (RBG, gamma ... etc), making PJ calibration sorely inadequate. Basically you take what you get and hope or screen material matches up well.
I know this post is a little old, but in case anyone else comes across it, just so you know, this isn't the case. There's a Picture Mode feature on the Lune 1080p that allows the user to select between (I think....I'm not in front of it right now) "Warm", "Cold", "Standard", "Game", "Bright", and "User Mode" or "Custom Mode", or something like that. It includes RGB tweaks, but I haven't run across a Gamma feature yet (though, that's not a deal breaker as I can tweak Gamma through my HTPC)

Last edited by adrift; 12-23-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 200 Old 12-23-2018, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Greetings en0203. Thanks for the post and hope you're having fun with the Lune4K.

Have a few questions here and wonder if you may be kind enough to help:

1. I installed youtube tv from apkmirror, but it failed to run. Any links to to a working version?
2. Installed apatoid, but many menu options not accessible. Is keyboard/mouse required here? Any working link?
3. Netflix TV from apkmirror also failed to work. Link?
4. Did you have any lick with the free 4K shows provided by the built in app? I got an a00111error message.
5. Any idea which version of iqiyi/iqiyi vip would work on Lune4K?
6. How to access CCTV 4K?
7. The advance menu option in picture setting is not accessible. How to turn it on?
8. Which kodi version are did you install?

Many thanks and best regards,
Hi qoopy,

Apology for late reply. I was very busy with work and home renovation for the past few months and did not have time to visit the forum. And I found a defect on my lune 4k, there are 2 permanent blue lines when playing certain 2k/4k video. The good news is that Xgimi was kind enough to give me a one-to-one replacement but I had to bear the shipping fee back. I just sent it back last week and I think it will take a few weeks more for the replacement to arrive.

Meanwhile, to answer your questions:

1. I forgot which version I used, if I am not wrong it was the last Youtube TV version in 2017. Try to search for it.
2. Please install Aptoide "TV" version instead of just Aptoide TV but I forgot which version I installed. The original remote works perfectly, you don't need mouse/keyboard.
3. I didn't try Netflix so can't comment here.
4. We can't watch the shows from built-in app as they are mostly region-specific and won't work outside China.
5. I don't use iqiyi/iqiyi vip. I have no idea what app is this.
6. I don't watch CCTV so not sure where to find it.
7. Not sure what is advance menu. What are you trying to change?
8. I use Kodi 17.6

Hope this helps.
post #155 of 200 Old 12-25-2018, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by en0203 View Post
Hi qoopy,

Apology for late reply. I was very busy with work and home renovation for the past few months and did not have time to visit the forum. And I found a defect on my lune 4k, there are 2 permanent blue lines when playing certain 2k/4k video. The good news is that Xgimi was kind enough to give me a one-to-one replacement but I had to bear the shipping fee back. I just sent it back last week and I think it will take a few weeks more for the replacement to arrive.

Meanwhile, to answer your questions:

1. I forgot which version I used, if I am not wrong it was the last Youtube TV version in 2017. Try to search for it.
2. Please install Aptoide "TV" version instead of just Aptoide TV but I forgot which version I installed. The original remote works perfectly, you don't need mouse/keyboard.
3. I didn't try Netflix so can't comment here.
4. We can't watch the shows from built-in app as they are mostly region-specific and won't work outside China.
5. I don't use iqiyi/iqiyi vip. I have no idea what app is this.
6. I don't watch CCTV so not sure where to find it.
7. Not sure what is advance menu. What are you trying to change?
8. I use Kodi 17.6

Hope this helps.
Thanks for kind reply, en0203.
Sorry to hear about the problem. I suppose my unit would have to make the same trip back to chengdu for servicing sooner or later. Did the manufacturer make the shipping arrangement? Any import duties this may incur?

Last edited by qoopy; 12-25-2018 at 10:02 PM.
post #156 of 200 Old 12-26-2018, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Thanks for kind reply, en0203.
Sorry to hear about the problem. I suppose my unit would have to make the same trip back to chengdu for servicing sooner or later. Did the manufacturer make the shipping arrangement? Any import duties this may incur?

xgimi lune with english menu
adrift likes this.
post #157 of 200 Old 12-27-2018, 03:39 PM

How did you translate it to English? I just got the projector. Overall love the picture quality and the sound is amazing. I connected my Apple TV 4K - it gives me options for 4K HDR and it looks good. Also matching content frame works good. Netflix is not loading through Apple TV. My understanding is that this has to do with the HDMI protocol, correct? When I play movies over iTunes and hit the picture settings menu I get an option to switch from 1.4 to 2.0 - any tips? Any stuff I should know. Still exploring but excited
post #158 of 200 Old 12-28-2018, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My Lune4K arrived today. Still setting up. I am using a 100inch PET screen with it.

Biggest problem so far is that lights are "spilling" on the sides. I experienced this problem with other projectors with lens shift or keystone correction. But my Lune 4K the keystone correction is zero (none)...

I try to post some photos for everyone to see.

I wonder if other Lune4K owners have this same problem with their machines.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181228_224725_1546009584520.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	2501810   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181228_224807_1546009600897.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	846.9 KB
ID:	2501814   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181228_224750_1546009619198.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	857.5 KB
ID:	2501816   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181228_224822_1546009632289.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	750.8 KB
ID:	2501818  

Last edited by schumy; 12-28-2018 at 08:07 AM.
post #159 of 200 Old 12-28-2018, 08:15 AM

Light border problem

My friend uses the same screen but smaller (80inch) with a JMGO. he also has some light spilling as shown in the photo. I think his case is less serious as it seems to be a shadow cast over the screen and it diffuses outward, compared to my case which has a clear border of light.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20181228-WA0043_1546010093630.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	2501822  
post #160 of 200 Old 12-28-2018, 07:25 PM

Light border problem, lens casing

I suspect maybe they have forgotten or improperly installed the light blocking casing on my machine... Here are two photos of what I can see from the lens. I should be grateful if other Lune owners can check if theirs look the same.

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181229_102200_1546050322389.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	2502198   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181229_102154_1546050332495.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	2502200  
post #161 of 200 Old 12-29-2018, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumy View Post
My Lune4K arrived today. Still setting up. I am using a 100inch PET screen with it.

Biggest problem so far is that lights are "spilling" on the sides. I experienced this problem with other projectors with lens shift or keystone correction. But my Lune 4K the keystone correction is zero (none)...

Thanks
but there is only chinese on xgimi lune
post #162 of 200 Old 12-29-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adra View Post
Quote:

Thanks
but there is only chinese on xgimi lune
Yes... I bought mine from Taobao, I can read Chinese...i am afraid I don't understand what you mean, are you saying that has something to do with the light border/spilling problrm? Thanks
post #163 of 200 Old 12-29-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
How did you translate it to English? I just got the projector. Overall love the picture quality and the sound is amazing. I connected my Apple TV 4K - it gives me options for 4K HDR and it looks good. Also matching content frame works good. Netflix is not loading through Apple TV. My understanding is that this has to do with the HDMI protocol, correct? When I play movies over iTunes and hit the picture settings menu I get an option to switch from 1.4 to 2.0 - any tips? Any stuff I should know. Still exploring but excited

Just wanted to add that I managed to get Netflix work through Apple TV and it also recognizes Dolby Vision. So far this is very impressive!
post #164 of 200 Old 12-29-2018, 05:45 PM

By the way can anyone help me with sideloading apps? what's the easiest way? (newbie here)

Trying to see also how to translate the menu in English. Thanks guys. i',m so excited about it.
post #165 of 200 Old 12-31-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
By the way can anyone help me with sideloading apps? what's the easiest way? (newbie here)

Trying to see also how to translate the menu in English. Thanks guys. i',m so excited about it.
Ok guys here is a small update for anyone interested in chinese content.

- I managed to get the VIP subscription for the 4k content (there is a 4k selection on the top right of the menu) - This is doesn’t require a vpn to work but you got to have a chinese card to subscribe.

- If you do have a chinese VPN on your phone (hide my ass is the one i am using) then the XGIMI chinese app works, finds the projector and you can actually watch all chinese live channels (you select them on the app and they play on the projector) as well listen to the music for free which has all the popular songs etc.

- Now i managed to get Antoide TV installed (newbie here so it was an accomplishment) and downloaded a few apps. I am trying to get the Google Store app work but it has been impossible. Tried to install the APK myself but doesn’t work. The reason why is that i want to install the Hidemyass app and use the chinese vpn (as i have also a vip account in one of the main serviceS) but not matter what try it has not been possible to make it work. When i open the HMA ass it is asking for google services. I installed all kinds of different versions on it but nothing changes. Anyone knows a work around.

Will keep you updated. By the way i live in a corner studio on the 25th floor. I get a tremendous amount of light and the projector is very bright even during the day - can wait to see when the screen comes.
post #166 of 200 Old 12-31-2018, 01:01 PM

Anyone has issue with the Wi-Fi? I have 1gbps speed and the speed I get over Wi-Fi is less than 1mbps. Tried a cable doesn’t make a crazy difference
post #167 of 200 Old 12-31-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Anyone has issue with the Wi-Fi? I have 1gbps speed and the speed I get over Wi-Fi is less than 1mbps. Tried a cable doesn’t make a crazy difference
I don't think the Xgimi platform supports Google playstore apps, that's why in the shop they can only demo the GoogleTV version YouTube app which cannot subscribe to channels, every time they need to do a new word search to go to the same demo videos.

My Lune4K does not seem to have slow networo connection problem, it loads big movie files over LAN ok.

But mine does have that bright light border problem, I guess yours doesn't?
post #168 of 200 Old 01-01-2019, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I received my Lune 4k last week from Joy Buy. So far, I am impressed with its brightness and clarity, compared to the H1. I am now able to watch Fire TV streaming in broad daylight with window and patio door curtains opened. H1 was washed out pretty bad on the same home made grey painted screen. Closing the curtains still yields more enjoyable pictures. The Lune 4k seems to work pretty ok with the painted grey screen. I am holding off the PET Crystal screen purchase.
Maybe just me. I can not find a way to switch to one of the HDMI inputs after booting/going to Lune 4k main screen (ie, after adjusting settings). Currently I have to restart Lune to get to the pre-set HDMI source. Anyone knows the trick?
post #169 of 200 Old 01-02-2019, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Long press on the menu button will bring up a list of options at the bottom of the screen.
simpleHT likes this.
post #170 of 200 Old 01-03-2019, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good day. I changed my media console to Nvidia shield TV. I set the resolution to 4k rec.2020, at first the picture became faded, but I use the following settings: contrast 54, brightness: 50, saturation 80. the picture now is very good.
post #171 of 200 Old 01-04-2019, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Yusupov View Post
Good day. I changed my media console to Nvidia shield TV. I set the resolution to 4k rec.2020, at first the picture became faded, but I use the following settings: contrast 54, brightness: 50, saturation 80. the picture now is very good.
I can't use my Shield with the Lune4K, each time I watch video I get a major,
video audio sync issue - are you experiencing this too?
post #172 of 200 Old 01-04-2019, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofir Kris View Post
I have no this audio sync issue.
post #173 of 200 Old 01-04-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Yusupov View Post
Yes I have different types of audio sync issues with Lune4K (similar issues with Line1080p as reported in my other posts before) involving HDMI input and Lune's speakers, and sometimes with Lune HDMI2 ARC and my AC AMP (although suddenly the ARC is not working anymore no matter how I tried different settings). Usually there is no lip sync issue if u input your HDMI source to an av amp first (and let the amp output audio) and the the amp outputs HDMI to Lune (for the video).
post #174 of 200 Old 01-05-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 211
This Lune 4K model only supports HDCP 1.4 per the manufacturer.

Quote:
这款的HDMI是否支持HDCP2.2 ?

官方回复: 尊敬的极友,目前不支持HDCP 2.2,只支持HDCP 1.4呢
Bummer because the rest of the specs are the bomb! Crazy too is this PJ is only $2200 on the Chinese XGIMI website! ☹

Onkyo TX-NR807
Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12
Optoma HD80 on 106" Elite Aeon Cine grey, Samsung 55KS8000
Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
post #175 of 200 Old 01-05-2019, 11:12 PM

Just sharing my personal experience here. as you know from my previous posts, I have serious doubt about HDCP2.2 compliance of Lune4K after proving the Lune1080p is not.

Then I went ahead to buy a 4K Lune which arrived on 28 Dec. To my pleasant surprise, it can play 4K UHD bluray and 4K YouTube in 4K resolution, and HDR seems ok without much colour wash out issue (the tone of the blue colour is still a little bit weird). So for me, this HDCP2.2 issue is "solved".

The only problem with my unit so far is the unusually bright border (as reported in my previous posts) which Xgimi Taobao shop insists is normal (they are willing to give me a full refund if I ship it back). I can only surmise that it is a normal thing for this chip set maybe...it is slightly annoying but I can live with it.

The only other things I am not too happy with my 4K Lune are:

1) audio lip sync delay during movie file playback (no way to get it work, frustrating...);

2) average contrast performance (black appears as grey, but I was coming from a Sony 75x9400E which is one of the blackest Tv available, huge difference here. For projectors, Lune4K is probably not too bad); and

3) ARC audio suddenly ceases to work after my bluray player jammed and reset to factory setting ( this could be my AV Receiver's problem, who knows, again it is frustrating but not a deal breaker).

So overall I am reasonably happy with this Lune4K.

Last edited by teachsac; 01-08-2019 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Removed quote
post #176 of 200 Old 01-06-2019, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have serious doubt about HDCP2.2 compliance of Lune4K after proving the Lune1080p is not.

I'm confused. I thought I had successfully demonstrated to you in the other thread that HDCP2.2 appears to be working, and that 4k content is supported just fine on the Lune1080p from my HTPC. Granted, I haven't tested a 4k blu-ray player yet, but I am able to stream 4k Netflix, Youtube videos, UHD sample clips, and blu-ray rips all using the PC as a source.

Source: Windows 10 Pro, i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1070
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR676 in a 5.1.2 audio configuration
Video Output: XGIMI Lune (XJ01V), XYScreen Pet Crystal screen

Last edited by adrift; 01-06-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #177 of 200 Old 01-06-2019, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 9
@schumy has stated valid points that I experience too.

1. Lip Sync issue
2. Bad contrast especially with HDR content with dark scenes

I can live with the low contrast, but the lip sync just drives me crazy, i'll try the AV HDMI transfer suggested here, thanks
post #178 of 200 Old 01-06-2019, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
@schumy has stated valid points that I experience too.

1. Lip Sync issue
Is your source from a DVC/Blueray player, and do you use a receiver? I don't experience lip sync issue. I am doing streaming and sound out from projector speakers directly.
post #179 of 200 Old 01-07-2019, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Just wanted to add that I managed to get Netflix work through Apple TV and it also recognizes Dolby Vision. So far this is very impressive!
Are you saying the Lune 4k is DV capable? If so, it would be the first projector able to do it.
post #180 of 200 Old 01-07-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
Quote:
I have serious doubt about HDCP2.2 compliance of Lune4K after proving the Lune1080p is not.

I'm confused. I thought I had successfully demonstrated to you in the other thread that HDCP2.2 appears to be working, and that 4k content is supported just fine on the Lune1080p from my HTPC. Granted, I haven't tested a 4k blu-ray player yet, but I am able to stream 4k Netflix, Youtube videos, UHD sample clips, and blu-ray rips all using the PC as a source.
Cool, right, glad that your machine works. Mine didn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP