• 1 Post By tegage

post #1 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Which would you rather have a rollable OLED or...?

I admit I'm not getting the rollup thing but it might be something others would want. To me it is a feature I'd want just a tad more than an integrated VHS player. If you were buying an OLED TV this year and you were given a choice for X dollars you can have only one of the following, which would you choose if the technology existed to create these? I feel like they missed all the features I'd like them to concentrate on and went for one that doesn't and won't appear on my list any more than a floral frame.

A rollup screen

A non-rollup screen of the same picture quality as the rollup but with double the brightness

A non-rollup screen of the same picture quality as the rollup but with even better motion

A non-rollup screen of the same picture quality as the rollup but with even better color, less banding etc.

A non-rollup screen of the same picture quality as the rollup but bigger

A non-rollup screen of the same picture quality as the rollup but a warranty that covered burn in

Last edited by boe; 01-11-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I admit I'm not getting the rollup thing but it might be something others would want. To me it is a feature I'd want just a tad more than an integrated VHS player. If you were buying an OLED TV this year and you were given a choice for X dollars you can have only one of the following, which would you choose?

A rollup screen

A non-rollup screen of the same picture quality as the rollup but with double the brightness

A non-rollup screen of the same picture quality as the rollup but with even better motion

A non-rollup screen of the same picture quality as the rollup but with even better color, less banding etc.

A non-rollup screen of the same picture quality as the rollup but a warranty that covered burn in
Double brightness, probably not going to happen.

Better motion...they will all generally be the same.

Better color/less banding they will all be the same-ish.

Warranty that covers BI...practically all Oleds can make it beyond a year before BI tends to show up. So of little benefit.

Bigger. This one wins. Bigger better

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Wow, I was getting dizzy with all those choices you posted. Non-rollup, rollup with less brightness, bigger, less banding. Imagine my head swimming if I had a few beers before reading. lol.

I guess you're qualifying the "non-rollup" as a standard TV screen? That LG rollup nonsense was just that....Nonsense. It's a gimmick at best. Honestly, it would be best served if the whole contraption could be mounted from the ceiling and it dropped downward. Otherwise, sitting on the floor and it rolling up is simply something to dazzle your friends with. No interest in this. I would take the worst of the best OLED screens over a gimmick that will no doubt have plenty of bugs to iron out and perhaps overpriced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Wow, I was getting dizzy with all those choices you posted. Non-rollup, rollup with less brightness, bigger, less banding. Imagine my head swimming if I had a few beers before reading. lol.

I guess you're qualifying the "non-rollup" as a standard TV screen? That LG rollup nonsense was just that....Nonsense. It's a gimmick at best. Honestly, it would be best served if the whole contraption could be mounted from the ceiling and it dropped downward. Otherwise, sitting on the floor and it rolling up is simply something to dazzle your friends with. No interest in this. I would take the worst of the best OLED screens over a gimmick that will no doubt have plenty of bugs to iron out and perhaps overpriced.
Ceiling mounting complicates things, a floor box needs no installation. People in earthquake states would prefer a box on the floor. Also some people don't like that giant mirror look when the TV is off.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #5 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Ceiling mounting complicates things, a floor box needs no installation. People in earthquake states would prefer a box on the floor. Also some people don't like that giant mirror look when the TV is off.
To each his own, but TV's have been in living rooms reflecting the images in the room long before most people here were born. That's really a non-issue, IMO. I can see a world of issues with that rollup design for the beta testers. LG makes great OLED's, so I'll gladly stick with the mirror. 😂
post #6 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4158
Quote:
I admit I'm not getting the rollup thing but it might be something others would want. To me it is a feature I'd want just a tad more than an integrated VHS player. If you were buying an OLED TV this year and you were given a choice for X dollars you can have only one of the following, which would you choose?

A rollup screen

The better question ask would be: if you could have an equivalent rollup TV or conventional TV for the same price, which would you prefer?

Of your list, would you prefer a rollable TV or a conventional TV with another 5" of screen diagonal is probably the most relevant question.

In my case, the only way I'm goung to be able to fit the additional 5" (11" actually is if the TV is rollable...
post #7 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5208 Post(s)
Liked: 3673
I hope there isn't a lot of horizontal banding with that roll up screen.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.50
LG 65EF9500
post #8 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:

A rollup screen
A non-rollup screen of the same picture quality as the rollup but with double the brightness ... better motion ... better color, less banding etc. ... bigger ... warranty...
It's not going to happen.

OLED has no backlight and light spreader - so there's no reason not to roll the screen up. The only argument against roll-up OLED is that you have to add the rolling mechanism, which is a certain fixed cost. Fixed as in e.g. +$10/inch to per-TV cost, regardless of all the panel and processor specs.

All in all, the question is equivalent to whether you'd choose a car with in-dash GPS or a faster, bigger, prettier, etc one. The answer is neither: since GPS can be added to almost any car, I'll choose the car I want, and then decide whether to pay somewhat longer for the GPS option. Same with an OLED display.
Extended BI-covering warranty is perhaps the only valid comparison, as it can be bought separately right now in some stores.

On the practical side, I would very much like a rollable OLED, and it would specifically need to roll up or sideways, never down. For sideways I'd see a pair of manual roll-sideways bricks with good speakers inside, sub separate, memory wire for straightening/curving the screen. This would potentially allow me to take the TV with me in just a suitcase.

Back to the reality where there's only a roll-up, it would be quite convenient as a multi-purpose movie/TV/PC display. Move it far to the wall to run as a TV. For PC usage or widescreen movies, place it closer and extend to 2.4:1, so you get a convenient aspect ratio and wider overall angle. This could be solved by a much larger fixed screen as well, though. Still the ability to easily move the TV, not cautiously try to grab it without breaking, is a good step forward.

Would I pay extra for that? Depends on the extra cost and my income vs expenses balance at the moment of purchase.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-12-2019, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Bigger at an affordable price is my wish.

I don't think a rollable TV will ever be a big seller, but I do get it. I'm OK with my TV being visible in my theater room, but not my living room. There I have a smaller then I would like TV in order to fit into a cabinet.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
TravisPNW likes this.

LG 65EF9500
Sony UBP-X800
Polk LSiM703, LSiM704C, LSiM 702, LSi 7
Rythmik D15SE
Marantz AV7703, Outlaw 7125, 3x2200
post #10 of 10 Old 01-12-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
OLED screens can unroll both horizontally and vertically and it is conceivable they can be mounted in a fixed 32"-55" TV that sits on stand legs on each side of the TV. Thus, an OLED could one day ship out as a standard looking 55 inch TV, probably a bit bulkier and heavier than normal 55" TVs of the generation, however, with a little trick. At a push of the remote, it can expand to 65", 75" and 82" depending on viewer preference. Just by being easy to ship and set up, those who only want the biggest size still gain a lot of benefit when setting up or moving this kind of TV. In fact, having a screen that can unroll may be the only viable way to get 130"+ OLED TVs into homes unless people want to remove a wall to get the TV setup. The same goes with phone tech where an oled phone can be small but the screen could quadruple in size on command to make it a pretty big tablet. This is exciting tech provided there are no reliability or quality issues compared to what is also available at the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General