post #24421 of 24534 Old 10-21-2018, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb04law View Post
I bought my 65EF9500 in December 2015. LG replaced the panel in November 2016 due to yellow banding. I have approximately 5500 hours on the panel and, for the first time ever, I noticed the health bar from Fortnite was burned into the screen when it displays yellow or green. At most, the game is played a few hours a day for the last six months and the health bar is only on the screen for 20 minutes at a time assuming my kid manages not to die immediately. It's not like a static image was left on the screen uninterrupted for hours on end. The TV is otherwise used normally. Because of that, I assumed this was more an image retention than a burn in issue, but we are on day two of the image still being there. I called LG this morning and was told to switch the TV to Store Mode, turn the TV off for 15 minutes, and switch the TV back to Home Mode. That did not fix the problem. They said to call back if it didn't. Before I call LG back I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them on this issue with this TV.
They were replacing some 2016 BI screens. Think they are out of the E, G, C screens at this point. Not sure if they have 2015 screens. Possible. But that's the only thing that can be done for BI.

Preventing it, olight level down for gaming (35ish or lower), color level down (B&W is best). But once it's damaged with BI (uneven wearing)...

The 2015 and 2016 Oled models are poor choices for gaming. The 2018 LG Oled's have a logo dimming high feature that helps.

Anyway, sad to see a rare 3D oled with BI.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24422 of 24534 Old 10-21-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Personally I am waiting for the Hallmark Channel logo to be burned into mine.
post #24423 of 24534 Old 10-21-2018, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5208 Post(s)
Liked: 3673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
They were replacing some 2016 BI screens. Think they are out of the E, G, C screens at this point. Not sure if they have 2015 screens. Possible. But that's the only thing that can be done for BI.

Preventing it, olight level down for gaming (35ish or lower), color level down (B&W is best). But once it's damaged with BI (uneven wearing)...

The 2015 and 2016 Oled models are poor choices for gaming. The 2018 LG Oled's have a logo dimming high feature that helps.

Anyway, sad to see a rare 3D oled with BI.
Actually the 2015 models do have logo dimming, that was abandoned with the 2016 models. You can't adjust it anywhere in the menu or SM, but it does dim the logos. I remember all the gamers complaining about the logo dimming and even a petition to remove it. And so they did with the 2016 models, and voila, more BI issues with the 2016 models. I use my 9500 mostly for sports, and since it's in a bright room, OLED light is at 100. Watch NFL, MLB and ESPN, and with over 4000 hours on it, no BI.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.50
LG 65EF9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24424 of 24534 Old 10-21-2018, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Actually the 2015 models do have logo dimming, that was abandoned with the 2016 models. You can't adjust it anywhere in the menu or SM, but it does dim the logos. I remember all the gamers complaining about the logo dimming and even a petition to remove it. And so they did with the 2016 models, and voila, more BI issues with the 2016 models. I use my 9500 mostly for sports, and since it's in a bright room, OLED light is at 100. Watch NFL, MLB and ESPN, and with over 4000 hours on it, no BI.
How would you account for this case of BI?

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #24425 of 24534 Old 10-21-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
How would you account for this case of BI?
I don't know how that occurred. At least with my tv, I have yet to see any sign of it and usually all my sports have lots of logos. I would say 80% of all my hours on my 9500 have static logos.
Gillietalls likes this.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.50
LG 65EF9500
post #24426 of 24534 Old 10-24-2018, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5564 Post(s)
Liked: 5563
Quote:
I bought my 65EF9500 in December 2015. LG replaced the panel in November 2016 due to yellow banding. I have approximately 5500 hours on the panel and, for the first time ever, I noticed the health bar from Fortnite was burned into the screen when it displays yellow or green. At most, the game is played a few hours a day for the last six months and the health bar is only on the screen for 20 minutes at a time assuming my kid manages not to die immediately. It's not like a static image was left on the screen uninterrupted for hours on end. The TV is otherwise used normally. Because of that, I assumed this was more an image retention than a burn in issue, but we are on day two of the image still being there. I called LG this morning and was told to switch the TV to Store Mode, turn the TV off for 15 minutes, and switch the TV back to Home Mode. That did not fix the problem. They said to call back if it didn't. Before I call LG back I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them on this issue with this TV.
I am hoping you just said you had some type of screen anomaly? Don't diagnose a problem and say hey I think I have burn in. Either way though, your unit is out of warranty I am guessing so no matter what you will be begging for mercy, good luck They have been helping people with this on a case to case basis.
post #24427 of 24534 Old 10-27-2018, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I came here to get help to decide if I should repair my 2015 55EF9500 or upgrade to a 2018 set. Mine turns off by itself like many people have written about early in this thread. Lately when I was turning the set it shut off with a few vertical colored lines on the left for a second. Some have written about that. Now it won't turn on at all.

I am debating trying to fix it or sell it to someone who thinks it's worth saving, and then go out buy a 55C8 or B8. My first question is probably more appropriate for the late OLED forum - are the 2018 or even the 2017 models enough of an improvement and more reliable than a 2015 TV with new boards? My fear is I buy those and they don't solve the problem, and it turns out to be a panel, assuming all this is available. I haven't researched that yet - what $$$ will that be? And then I still have three year old technology (again assuming there have been good improvements to date).

As for repairing it, are there boards for mine with improved reliability? My main is EBT64037902. PS is EAY62992602. Sub PS is EAY62992601.
post #24428 of 24534 Old 10-27-2018, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnscoolpix View Post
I came here to get help to decide if I should repair my 2015 55EF9500 or upgrade to a 2018 set. Mine turns off by itself like many people have written about early in this thread. Lately when I was turning the set it shut off with a few vertical colored lines on the left for a second. Some have written about that. Now it won't turn on at all.

I am debating trying to fix it or sell it to someone who thinks it's worth saving, and then go out buy a 55C8 or B8. My first question is probably more appropriate for the late OLED forum - are the 2018 or even the 2017 models enough of an improvement and more reliable than a 2015 TV with new boards? My fear is I buy those and they don't solve the problem, and it turns out to be a panel, assuming all this is available. I haven't researched that yet - what $$$ will that be? And then I still have three year old technology (again assuming there have been good improvements to date).

As for repairing it, are there boards for mine with improved reliability? My main is EBT64037902. PS is EAY62992602. Sub PS is EAY62992601.
Boards are a lot cheaper to replace than the tv itself. If it's a board, you are looking at a $200 to $300 repair. If it's the panel, it's not worth replacing. In that case, buy a new tv. The newer OLEDs are brighter, better near blacks, can do Dolby Vision HDR, HLG, etc, something that the 9500 can not do. Just a heads up if you were looking at an LCD, BB dropped the 65Z9D FALD LCD down to $2000. Probably the best LCD ever made, but blacks still not quite as good as OLED, but better than any other LCD.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.50
LG 65EF9500
post #24429 of 24534 Old 10-27-2018, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Boards are a lot cheaper to replace than the tv itself. If it's a board, you are looking at a $200 to $300 repair. If it's the panel, it's not worth replacing. In that case, buy a new tv. The newer OLEDs are brighter, better near blacks, can do Dolby Vision HDR, HLG, etc, something that the 9500 can not do. Just a heads up if you were looking at an LCD, BB dropped the 65Z9D FALD LCD down to $2000. Probably the best LCD ever made, but blacks still not quite as good as OLED, but better than any other LCD.
Understood, but for just $500 more you can get a 65" B8. Personally, I have trouble watching LCD after purchasing my OLED. The B8 will likely dip down to around $2200 on black Friday

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

LG 65EF9500
Sony UBP-X800
Polk LSiM703, LSiM704C, LSiM 702, LSi 7
Rythmik D15SE
Marantz AV7703, Outlaw 7125, 3x2200
post #24430 of 24534 Old 10-28-2018, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
No more 3D though. :-(
post #24431 of 24534 Old 10-28-2018, 01:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
No more 3D though. :-(
And that would be my main factor if I needed a new tv this very minute. I would buy the Z9 without hesitation.

LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
Sony BDP-S5200 Multi-Region
post #24432 of 24534 Old 10-28-2018, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

My TV was plagued with the random power-offs. Not exaggerating when I say that I lost count of how many times LG repair came to my house for this issue. It has to be close to 10 visits.

Basically by the time it was all said and done, the ENTIRE innards of the TV was replaced. And what seemed to fix it (oddly) was when the panel was also replaced. Can't say for sure because the board and power supply, etc were all replaced multiple times before the last repair.

Luckily, LG took care of this and it didn't cost me any money! Other than all the time I had to take off for the repair visits...

The TV has not powered off by itself in a long time. I'm guessing it's over a year now. I'm bad with time...

Would I get another LG OLED? Yes. I love this TV. Although by the 5th or 6th visit, I would have preferred a REPLACEMENT set. I understand all of the cheaters out there who got replacement sets ruined it for those with legit issues.

Dolf M
LG EF9500 65" | Denon AVR-S720W | Tivo Bolt | Samsung K8500 UHD Blu-ray | XBOX One
I love TV, Technology & Tennis
Greater Cincinnati Area
http://twitter.com/#!/dolfer
post #24433 of 24534 Old 10-28-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I don't know what I would do in your shoes. If you knew for a fact it was a board then I would fix it for sure. But the vertical lines could well be the screen. I would say sell the tv for parts but...you don't know whats good...or bad.

How much do you value 3D? For me it's at the top of the list as I have over 300 3D movies.

post #24434 of 24534 Old 11-18-2018, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
I am hoping you just said you had some type of screen anomaly? Don't diagnose a problem and say hey I think I have burn in. Either way though, your unit is out of warranty I am guessing so no matter what you will be begging for mercy, good luck [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG] They have been helping people with this on a case to case basis.
For what it’s worth, it was legit burn in. The image never faded or went away as I hoped it would. However, LG was wonderful and replaced the panel free of charge. They said they normally don’t cover burn in, but are for a limited time on certain OLEDs. So now I have a brand new 3D OLED panel three years after I bought it.
post #24435 of 24534 Old 12-03-2018, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyingBeep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Main Board...especially when you say it happens with external inputs (which are part of the main board). Believe it or not, replacing the main board is not that hard (see pics on my website here).
I would be curious to know what the build date was of your TV, as there was an update/turn of the main board in the first few months after release (mine was replaced back in the Fall of 2015).
Swapped the T-CON board, no fix. I just replaced the mainboard and that did fix it. 🙂 So now I have spare T-CON board. Going to keep an eye out for another mainboard too, in the event I have to deal with this again. The build date of my TV was October 2015 by the way.
Hi there,

I don't know how I didn't stumble on this earlier. I'm having same problem after hitting the 2 year mark. This has been my only tech (for whatever reason) that I didn't get warranty on.

Essentially,...

This April, right side of TV started to get fuzzy white vertical lines.

This June, a clear fuzzy line down middle of screen, left half perfect, right half was hit or miss.

End of June, right half of TV would alternate through neon overlays to whatever image color was primary on screen. At same TV, smart functions (like the menu) would no longer operate or pop up when button was pressed.

I swapped main board, TV power on to grayish screen, with no division or lines, but no smart menu or cable comes through HDMI.

Haven't been able to get my hands on tcon board.

I'm wondering if this is the issue?

I have a 55EF9500. 2015 model purchased in March 2016
post #24436 of 24534 Old 12-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So theres no native youtube tv support for these correct?
post #24437 of 24534 Old 12-05-2018, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jterp7 View Post
So theres no native youtube tv support for these correct?
That is correct. WebOS 3 is the minimum requirement for YouTube TV.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #24438 of 24534 Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
That is correct. WebOS 3 is the minimum requirement for YouTube TV.
Ugh and i just spent last night reading about complaints of issues with apple tv app version of youtube tv.
post #24439 of 24534 Old 12-05-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Ugh and i just spent last night reading about complaints of issues with apple tv app version of youtube tv.
YTTV works flawlessly on Roku and Chromecast devices. Just another example of the "no one box does everything" issue.

--
Dan Shane

post #24440 of 24534 Old 12-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
YTTV works flawlessly on Roku and Chromecast devices. Just another example of the "no one box does everything" issue.
which would you recommend for a mainly IOS only user?
post #24441 of 24534 Old 12-05-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
There is very little that Roku cannot do. It is an extremely affordable and capable streaming device.

--
Dan Shane

post #24442 of 24534 Old 12-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
I have a handful of Amazon devices myself (the new 4K stick is plenty powerful) and hear lots of good things about Roku. Either of these would be solid devices. Personally, I haven't used the more current Roku devices but I used to hate their UI (2-3 years back), just a personal preference though. Others might not like some of the ads that the Fire devices give. The Amazon Fire 4K stick MSRP is still quite a bit cheaper than the similarly powered Roku Ultra all things equal.

I do think Apple TV is a bloated, overpriced, mess though.

I used the apps on my 65EF9500 for a little (1-2 years) while but Plex had some quirks to it where sometimes it had to be stopped/started to get audio back in sync. Switching to Hulu Live TV was the final nail in the coffin as it didn't exist. Not much reason to use the built in apps really when you can get a Fire 4K Stick for a few bucks.

Last edited by Maverick0984; 12-05-2018 at 09:00 AM.
post #24443 of 24534 Old 12-06-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0984 View Post
I have a handful of Amazon devices myself (the new 4K stick is plenty powerful) and hear lots of good things about Roku. Either of these would be solid devices.
YouTube TV is not currently supported on Amazon Fire devices. Google and Amazon are not on speaking terms.

--
Dan Shane

post #24444 of 24534 Old 12-06-2018, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
YouTube TV is not currently supported on Amazon Fire devices. Google and Amazon are not on speaking terms.
Oh. I didn't notice. My fault.
post #24445 of 24534 Old 12-06-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0984 View Post
Oh. I didn't notice. My fault.
No need to apologize. It's only because the OP's goal is to stream YTTV that I mention it.

It would be nice if the stream providers were't so vested in their own hardware that they feel the need to exclude competing brands and force us to compromise or constantly switch inputs. Users just want to hit POWER ON and watch their shows.

--
Dan Shane

post #24446 of 24534 Old 12-06-2018, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

yeah my apple loving friend actually gushes about the amazon 4k stick (he has regular cable also).

After hearing about directvnow's issues and now youtubetv's issues im hesitatnt to try either. Of course in their defense, in netflix's early days of streaming they had plenty of buffering and quality issues as well.
post #24447 of 24534 Old 12-06-2018, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
yeah my apple loving friend actually gushes about the amazon 4k stick (he has regular cable also).

After hearing about directvnow's issues and now youtubetv's issues im hesitatnt to try either. Of course in their defense, in netflix's early days of streaming they had plenty of buffering and quality issues as well.
We really enjoy Hulu Live TV. At least give the 7 day trial a try.
post #24448 of 24534 Old 12-07-2018, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 54
At one time we were told we would get the YouTubeTV app. It's that no longer the case?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

LG 65EF9500
Sony UBP-X800
Polk LSiM703, LSiM704C, LSiM 702, LSi 7
Rythmik D15SE
Marantz AV7703, Outlaw 7125, 3x2200
post #24449 of 24534 Old 12-07-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegage View Post
At one time we were told we would get the YouTubeTV app. It's that no longer the case?
I don't believe it ever was the case. The 9500 series was never promised WebOS 3. My 8500 (the next year's model) did receive the firmware upgrade from WebOS 2, and I can get YTTV on that set.

--
Dan Shane

post #24450 of 24534 Old 12-10-2018, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
When I try to pair the magic remote from this model to a low-end 2018 LCD model, it says the remote is not supported. Is this a known issue? They seem very very similar, and it is basically working - a lot of the controls work fine. However, pressing OK will trigger the pairing and fail, which makes it pretty useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
robert macintyre 855-400-4640