14Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 07-20-2018, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Titans- DC Universe

DC has unveiled the first look at its upcoming live-action TV show 'Titans'...the show is a darker take on DC’s superhero team, Teen Titans...the trailer introduces us to Raven (played by Teagan Croft), a haunted girl who reaches out to detective Dick Grayson (Brenton Thwaites) for help...Grayson is a former circus performer who lost his parents as a child and moonlights as Robin, Batman’s famed sidekick...we also get a couple shots of Beast Boy (Ryan Potter) and Starfire (Anna Diop) in action

the series will be the first of a handful that will launch on DC’s forthcoming streaming service, DC Universe...Titans will be followed by two additional live action shows (Swamp Thing and Doom Patrol) as well as two animated shows (Harley Quinn and Young Justice: Outsiders)…DC Universe, will launch this fall and will cost $7.99 a month or $74.99 for an annual subscription...subscribers who preorder will get an additional three months for free...

this is exactly the kind of show DC needs...a dark, gritty take on the Batman universe...the total opposite of Netflix's Marvel shows...I hope it succeeds...

Last edited by TitusTroy; 10-01-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 07-20-2018, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked: 1474
That trailer looked awesome.

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 44 Old 07-20-2018, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

a dark, gritty take on the Batman universe...the total opposite of Netflix's Marvel shows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5dIwGAYcWk
Huh? "Total opposite?" Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and The Punisher all struggle with inner demons and their darker urges, a major recurring theme in those shows. They are all set in darker and grittier parts of New York (Hell's Kitchen, Harlem, etc.), and are filled with scenes of dark, graphic violence. Any superhero-themed show on any network or streaming service would be hard-pressed to match the level of darkness and grittiness and raw violence of The Punisher.

Iron Fist is the only outlier in the Netflix Marvel shows, with a different type of hero, tone, and environment, though it still had its moments fighting off the underworld drug cartel types.

If anything, I would say this looks like a darker, grittier version of The Gifted.
allargon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 07-20-2018, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Huh? "Total opposite?" Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and The Punisher all struggle with inner demons and their darker urges, a major recurring theme in those shows. They are all set in darker and grittier parts of New York (Hell's Kitchen, Harlem, etc.), and are filled with scenes of dark, graphic violence. Any superhero-themed show on any network or streaming service would be hard-pressed to match the level of darkness and grittiness and raw violence of The Punisher.

Iron Fist is the only outlier in the Netflix Marvel shows, with a different type of hero, tone, and environment, though it still had its moments fighting off the underworld drug cartel types.

If anything, I would say this looks like a darker, grittier version of The Gifted.
I guess I was thinking of it more in terms of the MCU...the Marvel TV universe definitely has a different feel but the characters are not as well known as Nightwing/Robin, Harley Quinn etc...the Netflix Marvel shows are definitely more dark and gritty then normal but it's still a Marvelized version where they are afraid to really take it all the way...I like Snyder and Nolan's attempts at creating a darker version of the DC universe and I'm hoping to see it extend down to the new TV universe

Last edited by TitusTroy; 07-20-2018 at 12:20 PM.
post #5 of 44 Old 07-20-2018, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I like Teen Titans Go. That trailer looked awful.
David F and reddice like this.
post #6 of 44 Old 07-20-2018, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

DC Universe trailer...membership will include access to curated selections from the DC Comics library...in addition to the comics and original programming, you'll be able to watch classic superhero movies (such as the Christopher Reeve Superman films), a selection of the DC animated movies, and TV shows...

Phantom Stranger likes this.
post #7 of 44 Old 07-20-2018, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 6450 Post(s)
Liked: 5207
Quote:
...the show is a darker take on DC’s superhero...
Been that way since Tim Burton's brooding Batman movie. Last DC movie I remember that wasn't a "darker take" was Superman with Chris Reeve.

Sanjay
post #8 of 44 Old 07-20-2018, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
I'm happy that DC plans to have its own channel and hopefully will overcharge for access. It gives me a good reason not to bother with the crap these guys are putting out.
reddice likes this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #9 of 44 Old 07-20-2018, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I'm happy that DC plans to have its own channel and hopefully will overcharge for access. It gives me a good reason not to bother with the crap these guys are putting out.
$7.99 a month is not a bad price (depending on how much you value all that comic book content etc)...for me it depends on the quality of their originals (Teen Titans, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, Harley Quinn etc)
post #10 of 44 Old 07-20-2018, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
$7.99 a month is not a bad price (depending on how much you value all that comic book content etc)...for me it depends on the quality of their originals (Teen Titans, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, Harley Quinn etc)
I beg to differ. That's nearly the price of a general streaming service. Paying that price for the work of one comic book empire? I don't think so.
allargon likes this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #11 of 44 Old 07-20-2018, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I beg to differ. That's nearly the price of a general streaming service. Paying that price for the work of one comic book empire? I don't think so.
that's true but I think the DC Universe service needs a year to develop and then people will be able to get a better feel for the content and whether it's worth the price...they really should offer it free for the first few months while they're building up their library

plus even with Hulu etc most people only really use it to watch a few of their favorite shows so it's pretty much the same principle

Last edited by TitusTroy; 07-20-2018 at 09:18 PM.
post #12 of 44 Old 07-20-2018, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

plus even with Hulu etc most people only really use it to watch a few of their favorite shows so it's pretty much the same principle
For the same price, Hulu has at least a hundred times the amount of content that's been announced for the DC Universe service. And I'm sure most regular subscribers use it as a replacement for a cable subscription service to stay on top of the many network and cable shows that drop within 24 hours of airing, not just Hulu Originals.
allargon and reddice like this.
post #13 of 44 Old 07-21-2018, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

where's the love for the DC universe?? ...too many Marvel fanboys here
allargon likes this.
post #14 of 44 Old 07-23-2018, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 562
I will likely subscribe to the DC service despite some trepidations about this new Titans show.

The first year can be had for the discounted price of $74.99.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #15 of 44 Old 07-24-2018, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
I will likely subscribe to the DC service despite some trepidations about this new Titans show.

The first year can be had for the discounted price of $74.99.
No, this one screams subscribe for one month after all the episodes are available then cancel. Like CBS AA and YouTube Red, DCU lacks enough original content to justify a yearlong subscription.
TitusTroy and Zookster like this.
post #16 of 44 Old 07-24-2018, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post
No, this one screams subscribe for one month after all the episodes are available then cancel. Like CBS AA and YouTube Red, DCU lacks enough original content to justify a yearlong subscription.
yeah subscribing for a year seems crazy (unless you're a diehard DC fan)...not enough content to justify that...I wouldn't even pay Netflix a yearly price if given the option and I watch a lot of their programming
post #17 of 44 Old 08-29-2018, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

DC announced Wednesday that its digital subscription service, DC Universe, will launch on Saturday Sept. 15th while the premiere of its live-action Titans series will drop Friday, Oct. 12th...DC Universe will be available for $7.99 per month or $74.99 annually...

http://tvline.com/2018/08/29/titans...aming-service/
post #18 of 44 Old 09-02-2018, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
DC announced Wednesday that its digital subscription service, DC Universe, will launch on Saturday Sept. 15th while the premiere of its live-action Titans series will drop Friday, Oct. 12th...DC Universe will be available for $7.99 per month or $74.99 annually...

http://tvline.com/2018/08/29/titans...aming-service/
Pass.

post #19 of 44 Old 09-03-2018, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Pass.
if Teen Titans gets excellent reviews I think you're going to see more people give this a go...not the crazy yearly subscription but the monthly one...same way that CBS AA thing is doing better then expected because of the new Star Trek show...it's all about how good the content is
post #20 of 44 Old 09-03-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
if Teen Titans gets excellent reviews I think you're going to see more people give this a go...not the crazy yearly subscription but the monthly one...same way that CBS AA thing is doing better then expected because of the new Star Trek show...it's all about how good the content is
In terms of an iconic franchise and production budget, Star Trek Discovery was a completely different animal. Even if Teen Titans is a solid series, I don't see its appeal beyond a niche fan-base for whom the five (soon to be six) DC superhero series on the CW simply aren't enough.
post #21 of 44 Old 09-03-2018, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In terms of an iconic franchise and production budget, Star Trek Discovery was a completely different animal. Even if Teen Titans is a solid series, I don't see its appeal beyond a niche fan-base for whom the five (soon to be six) DC superhero series on the CW simply aren't enough.
I'm not sure what the budget is for the new DC shows but I think it has to be pretty high being that they're launching a new subscription service...DC has a lot of resources behind it so I'm not expecting low budget shows...Star Trek is more iconic but DC is more then a niche...Batman is just as popular as any Marvel property
post #22 of 44 Old 09-03-2018, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 117
If what I thought I saw was Starfire, they've gone off the deep end. They've trashed a character that I was familiar with. This new one is a total opposite of the character both in looks and personality.

* I'm still in pain over changing Nick Fury from what he was for decades. But, they kept the personality. So, I'm getting over it.

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #23 of 44 Old 09-03-2018, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the perfect analogy to Teen Titans, Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing is when Netflix launched Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist...no one really heard of them outside of hard core comic fans...Daredevil might have been the most known which is why Netflix launched that first...I think DC is copying this rollout...they are launching Teen Titans first which has the most well known name attached to it (Robin/Nightwing) along with plenty of Batman references

DC is pretty much hoping for the same type of success with their lineup
post #24 of 44 Old 09-03-2018, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the perfect analogy to Teen Titans, Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing is when Netflix launched Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist...no one really heard of them outside of hard core comic fans...Daredevil might have been the most known which is why Netflix launched that first...I think DC is copying this rollout...they are launching Teen Titans first which has the most well known name attached to it (Robin/Nightwing) along with plenty of Batman references

DC is pretty much hoping for the same type of success with their lineup
When Netflix launched its Marvel series, it was already the largest streamer (and before that DVD-by-mail service) on the planet. It wasn't counting on its success to secure the financial viability of a new streaming platform. A Marvel series failure would've amounted to a rounding error in its overall budget.

A better analogy is Star Trek on CBS All Access, as Discovery was the big tent-pole original programming it hoped would drive new subs beyond those interested in the CBS back catalog. If Discovery had failed, CBS All Access may have been on life support.

EDIT: This article provides a good synopsis of how cheap and low-budget Teen Titans looks: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...lariously.html

Quote:
... the trailer for DC Universe’s live action web series looks like something thrown together by a posse of film students without much of a budget to speak of—that, or an aborted attempt by The CW to adapt DC’s classic teenage superhero team that was abandoned halfway through. Watch it and weep...If you have no money in the budget to portray characters that look, sound and feel anything like their popular comic and animated source material, maybe don’t go through with an adaptation of that property?

Last edited by Zookster; 09-03-2018 at 05:31 PM.
post #25 of 44 Old 09-03-2018, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When Netflix launched its Marvel series, it was already the largest streamer (and before that DVD-by-mail service) on the planet. It wasn't counting on its success to secure the financial viability of a new streaming platform. A Marvel series failure would've amounted to a rounding error in its overall budget.

A better analogy is Star Trek on CBS All Access, as Discovery was the big tent-pole original programming it hoped would drive new subs beyond those interested in the CBS back catalog. If Discovery had failed, CBS All Access may have been on life support.

EDIT: This article provides a good synopsis of how cheap and low-budget Teen Titans looks: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...lariously.html
that article is just one person's opinion and not based on any factual info about their budget etc...CBS AA even with Star Trek is not some huge success...most people probably only signed up for the free trial...nothing is going to touch Netflix or even Amazon Prime Video or Hulu...it's going to take years before we can judge DC Universe or CBS AA as a success or failure...and as I keep saying, it all depends on the quality of their content...Netflix didn't hit it big over night...Hulu is still struggling but a show like Handmaid's Tale raised their profile considerably

if DC's shows are critically praised and get good word of mouth then it'll be a success...the DC brand is well known enough to give it a good chance of succeeding
post #26 of 44 Old 09-29-2018, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #27 of 44 Old 10-01-2018, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Might someone fix the title of this thread to say Titans rather than Teen Titans?
post #28 of 44 Old 10-01-2018, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post
Might someone fix the title of this thread to say Titans rather than Teen Titans?
I changed the title but it only takes effect inside the thread...in the sub-forum the title still shows as Teen Titans...we need a mod on the case...
post #29 of 44 Old 10-02-2018, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

official trailer 2...

post #30 of 44 Old 10-02-2018, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why does it say "Netflix" everywhere?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming