AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked: 1799
Watchmen series on HBO

Jeremy Irons Joins Cast of HBO's Watchmen Pilot From Damon Lindelof
By Dave Nemetz, TVLine.com - Jun. 26, 2018

The cast of Damon Lindelof’s Watchmen pilot keeps getting bigger and better: Jeremy Irons has signed on to play a lead role in the new HBO adaptation, according to our sister site Deadline.

The pilot — which isn’t a strictly faithful adaptation of the classic Alan Moore comic series, but an original story inspired by it — takes place in a world where superheroes are considered outlaws. HBO won’t confirm character details, but Deadline says Irons will play “an aging and imperious lord of a British manor.”

Irons joins a cast that already includes Regina King (who worked with Lindelof on The Leftovers), Don Johnson, Louis Gossett Jr., Tim Blake Nelson, Adelaide Clemens and Andrew Howard. Lindelof is writing the pilot and will serve as an executive producer.

An Oscar winner for 1990’s Reversal of Fortune, Irons previously moved to the small screen for Showtime’s historical drama The Borgias, starring as patriarch Rodrigo Borgia, aka Pope Alexander VI. His other TV credits include Law & Order: SVU and a guest-voice role on The Simpsons.

http://tvline.com/2018/06/26/jeremy...amon-lindelof/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-20-2018, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

HBO has picked up its Watchmen show for a full season
By Andrew Liptak, TheVerge.com - Aug. 18, 2018

HBO’s adaptation of the classic graphic novel Watchmen is officially coming to small screens. After ordering a pilot episode last year, the network has picked up the show for a full first season, which will debut in 2019.

Along with the announcement of the series pickup and roughly when we’ll be able to expect the show, the network announced the cast for the series, which will include Regina King (Southland), Jeremy Irons (Justice League), Tim Blake Nelson (Wormwood), and more.

The network didn’t reveal just what the show will be about, saying only that it was “set in an alternate history where “superheroes” are treated as outlaws,” which will embrace “the nostalgia” for Alan Moore’s original graphic novel, and will “break new ground of its own.”

Just what that looks like remains to be seen: Moore proclaimed his story unfilmable, having specifically designed the comic to play to that medium’s strengths, although while Zach Snyder’s 2009 adaptation missed the mark in some ways, it was a somewhat take on the story and visuals. HBO’s description makes sense, given that series creator Damon Lindelof indicated that he wasn’t setting out to adapt Watchmen, but described his show more of a “remix” of the comic.

http://www.theverge.com/2018/8/18/1...lan-moore-2019

post #3 of 24 Old 08-21-2018, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked: 1480
Sweet!

Already sounds more interesting than 99% of the network garbage being offered.
WilliamR likes this.

"we're on to Cincinnati!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 11-06-2018, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

‘Watchmen’: James Wolk Cast In Recurring Role On HBO Series

Written by Lindelof, Watchmen is considered a dark satirical and dystopian take on the superhero genre. Set in an alternate history where “superheroes” are treated as outlaws, Watchmen embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel while attempting to break new ground of its own.

As usual, the producers and HBO are keeping mum on the role but I hear Wolk plays a junior senator from Oklahoma.

He joins the Watchmen cast that includes Regina King, Jeremy Irons, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Andrew Howard, Tom Mison, Frances Fisher, Jacob Ming-Trent, Sara Vickers and Dylan Schombing.

Lindelof executive produces with Nicole Kassell, who directed the pilot, Tom Spezialy, director Stephen Williams and Joseph Iberti. Watchmen, slated for a 2019 premiere, is produced for HBO by White Rabbit in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Wolk is currently starring in Kevin Williamson psychological thriller series, Tell Me a Story which premiered on Oct. 31 on CBS All Access. He recently recurred on Season 2 of Amazon’s Goliath and starred on CBS’ Zoo. Wolk is repped by Greenlight Management and ICM Partners.

http://deadline.com/2018/11/watchme...ne-1202496442/

post #5 of 24 Old 11-09-2018, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

‘Watchmen’: Jean Smart To Co-Star On HBO Series From Damon Lindelof

Jean Smart has joined the cast of HBO’s Watchmen as a series regular.

Written by Damon Lindelof based on characters from DC, Watchmen is considered a dark satirical and dystopian take on the superhero genre. Set in an alternate history where “superheroes” are treated as outlaws, Watchmen embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel while attempting to break new ground of its own.

Emmy winner Smart will play an FBI Agent investigating a murder. The character’s identity has not been revealed but there is wide speculation that it is Agent Blake.

Smart joins the Watchmen cast that includes Regina King, Jeremy Irons, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Andrew Howard, Tom Mison, Frances Fisher, Jacob Ming-Trent, Sara Vickers, Dylan Schombing and James Wolk

Lindelof executive produces with Nicole Kassell, who directed the pilot, Tom Spezialy, director Stephen Williams and Joseph Iberti. Watchmen, slated for a 2019 premiere, is produced for HBO by White Rabbit in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Smart co-stars in Noah Hawley’s FX series Legion having also co-starred on the second season of his Emmy-winning anthology series Fargo on FX. She can currently be seen in Dan Fogelman’s Life, Itself, Paul Feig’s A Simple Favor, as well as Michael Doneger’s Brampton’s Own. She recently wrapped the upcoming feature, Superintelligence, starring Melissa McCarthy, Senior Moment, starring opposite William Shatner and Christopher Lloyd, as well as the new Bravo series Dirty John, starring Connie Britton and Eric Bana. She can next be seen in the upcoming holiday television film, Shoe Addict’s Christmas.

http://deadline.com/2018/11/watchme...of-1202498463/

post #6 of 24 Old 11-09-2018, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 5413 Post(s)
Liked: 5944
^^^ Hardest workin' woman in show business.
post #7 of 24 Old 11-09-2018, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked: 2470
Considering that Legion was renewed for a third season, I wonder if she'll be returning to that show as well? If so, she'd be playing in both the Marvel and DC sandboxes simultaneously.

As I recall, the way her character left off could be treated as an exit.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-10-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Mostly general information on the series:

shivaji likes this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-10-2019, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4072 Post(s)
Liked: 5206
Really, really hoping this is good. Watchmen and Unbreakable are easily my favorite Superhero movies. I haven't had any use for Marvel anything in years. Please be good.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-10-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3468 Post(s)
Liked: 2975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Really, really hoping this is good. Watchmen and Unbreakable are easily my favorite Superhero movies. I haven't had any use for Marvel anything in years. Please be good.
I was looking forward to the 'Glass' sequel but it's getting terrible reviews

Reviews are in for M. Night Shyamalan's 'Glass,' and critics are miserably disappointed
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ss/2530121002/
post #11 of 24 Old 01-10-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I was looking forward to the 'Glass' sequel but it's getting terrible reviews

Reviews are in for M. Night Shyamalan's 'Glass,' and critics are miserably disappointed
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ss/2530121002/
I'm holding out hope. It's seems to be sport lately to hate his films.

I mentioned similar in the movie forum, Josh Z said "Split was welcomed as a return-to-form by a lot of critics, actually." I didn't know that. I did go to IMBD and checked out Unbreakable reviews from 2000, and there was a ton of 1/10's. The more years that went by, the better the reviews were. I'll wait and see. Heck most people didn't like Watchmen either. I thought it was fantastic.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-11-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I'm holding out hope. It's seems to be sport lately to hate his films.
I mean, have you seen some of those movies?

I was pretty much done with Shyamalan after Lady in the Water. That's the kind of epic stinker it's nearly impossible to rebound from.

Josh Z

post #13 of 24 Old 01-11-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I was pretty much done with Shyamalan after Lady in the Water. That's the kind of epic stinker it's nearly impossible to rebound from.
Yeah, I have to agree. That's like saying it's sport to hate dumpster fires. He's basically been coasting on a steadily depleting reservoir of good will that's still left over from The Sixth Sense. It's remarkable to me that people still think he just must have another good one in him, and keep green-lighting his stuff.
post #14 of 24 Old 01-11-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You guys are brutal. He's had some stinkers for sure, but who hasn't? James Cameron made Aliens and Terminator. He also made Avatar and Alita. I'm not some particular fan of his, it just seems like he gets a disproportionate share of derision. If Glass is crap, I'll be the first to say it.
Josh Z likes this.
post #15 of 24 Old 01-11-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
You guys are brutal. He's had some stinkers for sure, but who hasn't? James Cameron made Aliens and Terminator. He also made Avatar and Alita. I'm not some particular fan of his, it just seems like he gets a disproportionate share of derision. If Glass is crap, I'll be the first to say it.
Actually, I'm hoping it's good too. I didn't really mind "Unbreakable". Maybe it's because my resevoir of good will for my boy Sam Jackson is greater than that for M. Night.

But let's face it. Most of Night's other stuff has been serious crap.
shivaji likes this.
post #16 of 24 Old 01-11-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Actually, I'm hoping it's good too. I didn't really mind "Unbreakable". Maybe it's because my resevoir of good will for my boy Sam Jackson is greater than that for M. Night.

But let's face it. Most of Night's other stuff has been serious crap.
Sixth Sense, Signs, Unbreakable, Split, and I personally liked The Village. I'm just not ready to hammer someone that's given me ~12 hours of movie enjoyment. Plenty of Directors out there that are one and done.

I hate to say it, but I'm almost out of goodwill for Sam Jackson. It's all the commercials he does. Slow the hell down Sam, there's only so much money you can spend.
post #17 of 24 Old 01-11-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Sixth Sense, Signs, Unbreakable, Split, and I personally liked The Village. I'm just not ready to hammer someone that's given me ~12 hours of movie enjoyment. Plenty of Directors out there that are one and done.
This is all well off-topic for Watchmen, but the problems with Shyamalan are twofold:

1) The nearly linear downward trajectory of his movies. After starting strong with The Sixth Sense, each of his following movies was a little worse than the last. Unbreakable is pretty good but doesn't entirely hold together. Signs tanks its very good first 2/3 with a terrible ending. Things keep getting progressively worse through to the nearly-unwatchable The Last Airbender and After Earth. Even his last two movies, The Visit and Split, which were both promoted as comebacks, were very divisive with viewers.

2) The director's notorious arrogance. Shyamalan has a reputation for believing his own hype and behaving like he's the greatest filmmaking genius who ever lived. He even wrote a role for himself into Lady in the Water in which he plays a brilliant writer working on the most important document in the history of mankind. In his mind, there was no one else who could play that role, because it's so obviously a reflection of himself. This rubs people the wrong way, leading to tremendous feelings of schadenfreude when he fails (which is more often than not).
Tack and shivaji like this.

Josh Z

post #18 of 24 Old 01-11-2019, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 6503 Post(s)
Liked: 14652
The Happening. Worst. Movie. Ever. M Knight Ding-Dong should have been suspended from going behind a camera, issued a public apology and be sentenced to 3 years community service for that pile of cow chips.

post #19 of 24 Old 01-11-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
The Happening. Worst. Movie. Ever. M Knight Ding-Dong should have been suspended from going behind a camera, issued a public apology and be sentenced to 3 years community service for that pile of cow chips.
Got you to watch it though

post #20 of 24 Old 01-11-2019, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 6503 Post(s)
Liked: 14652
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post
Got you to watch it though
Lol. Yeah, I watched it once.

post #21 of 24 Old 01-11-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is all well off-topic for Watchmen, but the problems with Shyamalan are twofold:

1) The nearly linear downward trajectory of his movies. After starting strong with The Sixth Sense, each of his following movies was a little worse than the last. Unbreakable is pretty good but doesn't entirely hold together. Signs tanks its very good first 2/3 with a terrible ending. Things keep getting progressively worse through to the nearly-unwatchable The Last Airbender and After Earth. Even his last two movies, The Visit and Split, which were both promoted as comebacks, were very divisive with viewers.

2) The director's notorious arrogance. Shyamalan has a reputation for believing his own hype and behaving like he's the greatest filmmaking genius who ever lived. He even wrote a role for himself into Lady in the Water in which he plays a brilliant writer working on the most important document in the history of mankind. In his mind, there was no one else who could play that role, because it's so obviously a reflection of himself. This rubs people the wrong way, leading to tremendous feelings of schadenfreude when he fails (which is more often than not).
Fair points, and yeah, we're way off topic, not that there's much to talk about re the new Watchmen.

One thing, "has a reputation for believing his own hype and behaving like he's the greatest filmmaking genius who ever lived".

I would imagine he's not the only director out there that feels that way.
post #22 of 24 Old 01-11-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3468 Post(s)
Liked: 2975
Quote:

I don't believe anyone can make a movie so bad that it's impossible to recover from but like you said in a later post his career has been going in reverse...90% of his better movies were front loaded in his career...I don't know how anyone can say that he's getting a bad rap as a filmmaker...his career is filled with bad to awful movies as he relied entirely on the gimmick ending to get people talking...I loved Unbreakable...The Visit also was good...Signs was also good until the end...so 2.5 movies is not a good ratio at all...his current reputation is well deserved and earned...and sorry @Tack but comparing Shyamalan to Cameron is crazy...Avatar wasn't good but it also doesn't compare to The Happening, Lady in the Water etc
post #23 of 24 Old 01-11-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I don't believe anyone can make a movie so bad that it's impossible to recover from but like you said in a later post his career has been going in reverse...90% of his better movies were front loaded in his career...I don't know how anyone can say that he's getting a bad rap as a filmmaker...his career is filled with bad to awful movies as he relied entirely on the gimmick ending to get people talking...I loved Unbreakable...The Visit also was good...Signs was also good until the end...so 2.5 movies is not a good ratio at all...his current reputation is well deserved and earned...and sorry @Tack but comparing Shyamalan to Cameron is crazy...Avatar wasn't good but it also doesn't compare to The Happening, Lady in the Water etc
Well, I wasn't comparing the two, just pointing out that none of them bat a thousand.
post #24 of 24 Old 01-12-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Liked: 2296
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
‘Watchmen’: James Wolk Cast In Recurring Role On HBO Series

Written by Lindelof, Watchmen is considered a dark satirical and dystopian take on the superhero genre. Set in an alternate history where “superheroes” are treated as outlaws, Watchmen embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel while attempting to break new ground of its own.

As usual, the producers and HBO are keeping mum on the role but I hear Wolk plays a junior senator from Oklahoma.

He joins the Watchmen cast that includes Regina King, Jeremy Irons, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Andrew Howard, Tom Mison, Frances Fisher, Jacob Ming-Trent, Sara Vickers and Dylan Schombing.

Wolk is currently starring in Kevin Williamson psychological thriller series, Tell Me a Story which premiered on Oct. 31 on CBS All Access. He recently recurred on Season 2 of Amazon’s Goliath and starred on CBS’ Zoo. Wolk is repped by Greenlight Management and ICM Partners.

http://deadline.com/2018/11/watchme...ne-1202496442/
You really should not be lifting entire articles off of another website. That's not covered by "fair usage" of DMCA, even if you give credit at the top.

Don't mistake my lack of reply as some kind of acceptance of your half-baked arguments.
Believe it or not, a sphere is a 2-Dimensional construct. A Circle is one dimensional. There is no "area of a circle", there is "the area enclosed by a circle". The solid you have been calling a sphere is technically a "Ball".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming