post #1 of 189 Old 12-05-2017, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked: 3198
Counterpart STARZ HD Jan 21st, 2018

Counterpart STARZ HD Jan 21st, 2018

Looks like it's worth a try .. J.K. Simmons is everywhere these days ..

A UN employee discovers the agency he works for is hiding a gateway to a parallel dimension.

Garrett Adams and Keenan like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 189 Old 12-05-2017, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 5413 Post(s)
Liked: 5944
Dang, I was going to start a thread for this one! You beat me to it. Love J.K. This looks pretty compelling.
post #3 of 189 Old 12-05-2017, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3468 Post(s)
Liked: 2975
I like JK Simmons but I wasn't all that interested until I read the part about a parallel universe...now I might give this show a look if it gets good reviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 189 Old 12-06-2017, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 1224
They should have learned from what their mothers told them: shut the door.
post #5 of 189 Old 01-21-2018, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Very much liked the pilot. I am quite hooked already. This has potential IMO. I will definitely be watching.

The confusing part for me was trying to understand WHEN this is taking place. The computers in the office look about 30 years old (the dude checking his resume had a super old monitor, etc), but the cars, electronics and other elements looked like modern times..
allargon likes this.
post #6 of 189 Old 01-22-2018, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Very much liked the pilot. I am quite hooked already. This has potential IMO. I will definitely be watching.

The confusing part for me was trying to understand WHEN this is taking place. The computers in the office look about 30 years old (the dude checking his resume had a super old monitor, etc), but the cars, electronics and other elements looked like modern times..
I noticed the same with the desktops, but I noticed that the workers had confiscated iPhones. I wondered if there was a security protocol that required older air gapped systems.

Starz is starting to turn it up. They're becoming the true HBO alternative that Showtime used to be.

Sent from using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Starz surpassed Showtime in terms of quality of original series a long time ago. They're neck & neck with HBO now, IMO.

Showtime dropped a small fortune on the meddled mess that was 'Twin Peaks', and their only decent series now is the long-in-the-tooth 'Homeland'. CBS could have injected their premium network with a big bunch o' buzz by scheduling 'Star Trek: Discovery' there, but they opted instead to put in on their silly new streaming service where nobody can see it unless they shell out even more money.
I don't agree that "Twin Peaks" was a muddled mess, but I do agree that "Discovery" should've been on Showtime (if not Netflix or broadcast CBS) in the US.
Don S likes this.

Last edited by allargon; 01-22-2018 at 08:59 AM.
post #7 of 189 Old 01-22-2018, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 124
The NYT's review , with access to six episodes, references a Le Carre spy classic and also grounds the series as a Berlin-based Orwellian-like story. Then there's a 30-year UN employee and dual protagonist?! Caught lots of vibes from Franz Kafka's 1926 surreal-novel "The Castle." and various cinema reviews. I'll stick with it. -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 01-26-2018 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 189 Old 01-22-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post
Starz is starting to turn it up. They're becoming the true HBO alternative that Showtime used to be.
Starz surpassed Showtime in terms of quality of original series a long time ago. They're neck & neck with HBO now, IMO.

Showtime dropped a small fortune on the meddled mess that was 'Twin Peaks', and their only decent series now is the long-in-the-tooth 'Homeland'. CBS could have injected their premium network with a big bunch o' buzz by scheduling 'Star Trek: Discovery' there, but they opted instead to put in on their silly new streaming service where nobody can see it unless they shell out even more money.
Al_the_xmtr_tech likes this.
post #9 of 189 Old 01-22-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I really love this show. Many I like, but few I love.
post #10 of 189 Old 01-22-2018, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Starz is nowhere close to HBO's level in terms of their prestige or quality of their lineup...not even close...I agree that Showtime has fallen hard and maybe Starz has surpassed them but even that's debatable...1 or 2 shows is not enough to dethrone HBO...even then none of Starz original shows have the ratings, buzz or critical acclaim that HBO currently has...not to mention the history that HBO has of putting out consistently great shows...what exactly has Starz done- Outlander and Black Sails are probably their 2 biggest shows and both are pretty niche with decent viewership and reviews but nothing as buzz worthy as Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, Veep, Westworld etc...and that's not including the vast library of content that HBO has- Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood etc etc

Starz needs to develop and grow a much larger stable of great shows before they can even be mentioned in the same breath as HBO...
post #11 of 189 Old 01-23-2018, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I really enjoyed the Pilot episode and will stick with it. I am still perplexed why the "laid back" Howard failed to mentioned that he put a flower on the Nurses' station vase every night. And why did the other Howard lied about his wife dying of cancer. Show has a lot of potential and look forward to coming episodes.
post #12 of 189 Old 01-23-2018, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 261
The parallel dimension story reminds me of Fringe.

A slow start but it picked up speed as the episode unfolded. I'm in.
post #13 of 189 Old 01-23-2018, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
...even then none of Starz original shows have the ratings, buzz or critical acclaim that HBO currently has...
And this matters to who? Do you actually care about buzz? Or do you care about how good the shows are?

Right now Starz is as good as any network. Different tastes for different folks I guess, but Outlander, Black Sails, American Gods, Spartacus, The Missing, Divinci's Demons, and now Counterpart. All awesome IMO. YMMV. I care nothing about "buzz" and "prestige". Frankly I'm not sure why anyone would (or at least anyone not working for the network)
post #14 of 189 Old 01-23-2018, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
To be fair, "ratings, buzz [and] critical acclaim" help gauge the difference between an isolated, personal opinion and a broader, more general statement.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.
post #15 of 189 Old 01-23-2018, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
And this matters to who? Do you actually care about buzz? Or do you care about how good the shows are?

Right now Starz is as good as any network. Different tastes for different folks I guess, but Outlander, Black Sails, American Gods, Spartacus, The Missing, Divinci's Demons, and now Counterpart. All awesome IMO. YMMV. I care nothing about "buzz" and "prestige". Frankly I'm not sure why anyone would (or at least anyone not working for the network)

we disagree as far as Starz being as good as 'any network'...Starz has a few good shows...The Missing was fabulous and probably their best show in my opinion but that wasn't a Starz original series, they just picked up the rights from overseas...Starz is still an upstart trying to build their brand...Outlander should be their flagship show (and probably is) but it still seems like a show that would do much better on another network...I enjoyed Spartacus but it was just popcorn fun and nothing more then that
post #16 of 189 Old 01-23-2018, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I really love this show. Many I like, but few I love.
Yes

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #17 of 189 Old 01-23-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
we disagree as far as Starz being as good as 'any network'...Starz has a few good shows...The Missing was fabulous and probably their best show in my opinion but that wasn't a Starz original series, they just picked up the rights from overseas...Starz is still an upstart trying to build their brand...Outlander should be their flagship show (and probably is) but it still seems like a show that would do much better on another network...I enjoyed Spartacus but it was just popcorn fun and nothing more then that
As I say , different tastes then. I liked those Starz shows ( Outlander, Black Sails, American Gods, Spartacus, The Missing, Divinci's Demons, and now Counterpart ) as much or more than a set of shows on any other Network over the last 5 years, no question. Hopefully Counterpart is another good one..
post #18 of 189 Old 01-23-2018, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

While HBO has a longer pedigree and certainly a much deeper catalog, what STARZ has done when they finally began running more in-house scripted shows, going back, I think, to "Head Case" in 2009 or so, have all been pretty good shows .. many mentioned here .. I liked "Blunt Talk", "The Pillars of the Earth" (which may not be a STARZ original) .. "Magic City" .. "The White Princess" .. as well as shows others here have mentioned ..

We are so fortunate these days to have such a wealth of good material out there .. we can all find a slate of shows that appeal to our own individual tastes ..
Don S and PannyMann like this.

Uncle Willie

Last edited by mgkdragn; 01-23-2018 at 09:45 AM.
post #19 of 189 Old 01-23-2018, 02:51 PM

'American Gods' was outstanding in S-1, as good as anything on HBO with the possible exception of GoT. If I had to choose between Showtime and Starz right now (and I might if I can't keep getting DTV to give me "the latest deal"), I'd pick Starz for sure. And that's been true for several years now.
post #20 of 189 Old 01-28-2018, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Episode 2 was pretty great as well tonight. Loving this series so far. Most interesting line of the night for me was "I wonder if there will be retribution for what they did to us" - speaking of what our world did to the alt world, we assume.

Really well done, and enjoyable IMO
JoeTiVo, Garrett Adams and shivaji like this.
post #21 of 189 Old 01-29-2018, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 64
What if the alt world is actually our world?
If there was one world and then it split, it's hard to define which one would be ours anyway.
Maybe both worlds are not ours.
post #22 of 189 Old 02-13-2018, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It's been 2 weeks w/o a post. Everybody lose interest in Counterpart?

As much as I enjoy AVSforum, I sure miss the discussion boards on IMDb.

Cheers,

Hank

Samsung UN65HU8550 TV; Samsung BD-J5900; Vizio S5451 SB; Cox Cable Cisco 9865 WHDVR
post #23 of 189 Old 02-14-2018, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Are we to assume that on each side all the spy agencies from the major players (US, Russia, China...) are not involved?
Somehow it feels like neither side reflects the actual world.
Hard to imagine with all this super secrecy that some people on both sides seem to be able to come and go at their will and establish a network of double agents or whatnot.
post #24 of 189 Old 02-14-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTiger78 View Post
Not us! We're really enjoying it, especially JK Simmon's supremely modulated performance. No wonder the dude won an Oscar. Everything about the two Howards, how they carry themselves, walk, talk, their expressions, everything -- is subtly different without being "showy". Reminds me of Tatiana Maslaney's virtuoso performance in 'Orphan Black'. This show isn't getting enough buzz, IMO. Don't know why.
Keenan likes this.
post #25 of 189 Old 02-14-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTiger78 View Post

After watching the first episode and 9 minutes of the second, with episodes 2-4 still on the DVR, I'm on the fence about this show.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #26 of 189 Old 02-14-2018, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not us! We're really enjoying it, especially JK Simmon's supremely modulated performance. No wonder the dude won an Oscar. Everything about the two Howards, how they carry themselves, walk, talk, their expressions, everything -- is subtly different without being "showy". Reminds me of Tatiana Maslaney's virtuoso performance in 'Orphan Black'. This show isn't getting enough buzz, IMO. Don't know why.
Spot on ..

Uncle Willie

post #27 of 189 Old 02-14-2018, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One of my favorite shows this season.
post #28 of 189 Old 02-14-2018, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I'm watching this since alternate reality is one of my favorite genres of Sci-Fi. Definitely enjoying JK Simmon's performance in this one playing two different personalities.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 85" X900F, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).
PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB16-Ultra sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.
post #29 of 189 Old 02-14-2018, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Still loving it here.
post #30 of 189 Old 02-15-2018, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

is this as good as Fringe and it's well done depiction of parallel/alternate worlds?...Walter-nate and Walter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming