301Likes

post #1 of 475 Old 01-08-2016, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6503 Post(s)
Liked: 14651
The General Sci-fi and Fantasy Thread

A thread to talk about anything sci-fi/fantasy. Shows no longer on the air, movies, books, etc. With full kudos going to @Ph8te .

Advertisement

post #2 of 475 Old 01-08-2016, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Based on several suggestions from members here, I'm about to start the Firefly series. Missed it when it originally aired and have never seen it.
Doug Wallen likes this.

post #3 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 5413 Post(s)
Liked: 5944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Based on several suggestions from members here, I'm about to start the Firefly series. Missed it when it originally aired and have never seen it.
And another Browncoat is born! It will make you mighty.
John dhein, Nayan, ien2 and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Not sure what to watch on TV this year? io9 has a pretty good list of all the sci-fi/fantasy shows coming up. I think it's a pretty good list: http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-ultimate-...nta-1751633124
post #5 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Adaptation wishlist that now can be done in epic series format:
The Amber Chronicles - Roger Zelazny...this would be very fun
The Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe
Ringworld's novels
The Mote in God's Eye

With GOT and now The Expanse, it's a given that we now have the tech and great showrunners/storytellers that can pull off complex settings and themes. All it takes is a greenlight and the proper production values. If you've read the above, then you know they are doable...most are older works from the 70s and 80s, so they would have to attract a young audience somehow, but it's really great material.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #6 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
And another Browncoat is born! It will make you mighty.
Watched the first episode last night. It was almost 90 minutes so must have been a 2-hour episode when it aired. Great cast. Fillion is excellent and I always like Adam Baldwin. Plus it has Tucker from Tucker and Dale vs Evil. And of course Morena and Summer. Looking forward to more. According to NF there's 14 episodes. For some strange reason I was under the impression there were only 10. So this is nice.
jazzycat likes this.

post #7 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Watched the first episode last night. It was almost 90 minutes so must have been a 2-hour episode when it aired. Great cast. Fillion is excellent and I always like Adam Baldwin. Plus it has Tucker from Tucker and Dale vs Evil. And of course Morena and Summer. Looking forward to more. According to NF there's 14 episodes. For some strange reason I was under the impression there were only 10. So this is nice.
The Pilot was the worst of the bunch.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #8 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
The Pilot was the worst of the bunch.
So it only gets better?

Spoiler!
jazzycat likes this.

post #9 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I liked the 2-hour pilot episode just fine. That ending chase scene with the Reaver ship was pretty awesome, and the ep revealed up the background story for the Serenity and its crew. It needed to be the first episode broadcast, as is traditional with TV shows as you may have noticed.

But the FOX suits must have agreed with Ron -- they actually ended up showing it last back in '02, after the show had already been cancelled. Apparently, they wanted more "action" in the debut episode, not really understanding the likely audience for the show, and elected to broadcast "The Train Job" first, leaving viewers scratching their heads at the origins of these characters.

Just one of many mistakes FOX made with this show. At any rate, you have the advantage of watching the episodes in their correct order, a big plus.
jazzycat likes this.
post #10 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked: 2590
I have seen the first 4 episodes of The Expanse, definitely liking it so far. Nice show to hold me over until GOT starts up again.

I grow my own medicine.
post #11 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Defiantly excited for the X files.

I grow my own medicine.
post #12 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I liked the 2-hour pilot episode just fine. That ending chase scene with the Reaver ship was pretty awesome, and the ep revealed up the background story for the Serenity and its crew. It needed to be the first episode broadcast, as is traditional with TV shows as you may have noticed.

But the FOX suits must have agreed with Ron -- they actually ended up showing it last back in '02, after the show had already been cancelled. Apparently, they wanted more "action" in the debut episode, not really understanding the likely audience for the show, and elected to broadcast "The Train Job" first, leaving viewers scratching their heads at the origins of these characters.

Just one of many mistakes FOX made with this show. At any rate, you have the advantage of watching the episodes in their correct order, a big plus.
Are you telling me they aired the 2-hour pilot at the end??? Yeah, the Reaver chase was pretty cool. Lol. Fillion's little idiosyncrasies are great. Cracks me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I have seen the first 4 episodes of The Expanse, definitely liking it so far. Nice show to hold me over until GOT starts up again.

Quote:
Defiantly excited for the X files.
There's some really good shows on or coming up. I'm digging The Expanse too and I'm very excited for the X-Files reboot starting later this month. Plus we have 12 Monkeys and Fear the Walking Dead returning in April.
cardoski and jazzycat like this.

post #13 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Are you telling me they aired the 2-hour pilot at the end??? Yeah, the Reaver chase was pretty cool. Lol. Fillion's little idiosyncrasies are great. Cracks me up.
Yeah, they really did. The humor on this show is one of the things that sets it apart. Whedon wrote a substantial bible for the show, a 2 year process of creating these characters and their world(s). The attention to detail is impressive. Note all the references to "Blue Sun" -- they're everywhere. He was building a complex mythology, one that would have held up for several seasons worth of adventures. And no sound in the vacuum of space! Who does that? Besides Kubrick, I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman
There's some really good shows on or coming up. I'm digging The Expanse too and I'm very excited for the X-Files reboot starting later this month. Plus we have 12 Monkeys and Fear the Walking Dead returning in April.
Agree with all of those sentiments. I also found '12 Monkeys' to be very impressive, a good companion to 'The Expanse'. Haven't cared much for too many other Syfy productions in recent years. 'Stargate: Universe' had a lot of potential. So did 'Caprica' IMO, once they would have gotten into the first Cylon War. Unfortunately, they never got there.
jazzycat likes this.
post #14 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4072 Post(s)
Liked: 5206
Quote:
Yeah, they really did.
I thought they mixed up more than just the first episode? Either way it didn't do the show any favors.

Quote:
Agree with all of those sentiments. I also found '12 Monkeys' to be very impressive, a good companion to 'The Expanse'. Haven't cared much for too many other Syfy productions in recent years. 'Stargate: Universe' had a lot of potential. So did 'Caprica' IMO, once they would have gotten into the first Cylon War. Unfortunately, they never got there.
Do you think Caprica is worth watching or should I not waste my time?
jazzycat likes this.
post #15 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Big fan of fear the Walking Dead. I think they did it right with a slow burn, if anything they could have went slower in some cases.

I grow my own medicine.
post #16 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3510 Post(s)
Liked: 3183
An absolute must for any true sci-fi fan, otherwise relinquish your professional sci-fi fan license at the door when you leave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Jade

http://www.charliejade.net/
post #17 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 02:12 PM

^^^ My only regret is I can only "like" this post once. Brother Keenan speaks the truth! One of the best and virtually nobody's seen it.
post #18 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
^^^ My only regret is I can only "like" this post once. Brother Keenan speaks the truth! One of the best and virtually nobody's seen it.
Indeed, and as far as I know it's never gotten the HD treatment, the two DVD sets I have are both pretty good at best, a Blu-ray would have been nice but I can't see that ever happening.

There may be some HD TV broadcast captures out there somewhere but I've never come across them.
post #19 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Indeed, and as far as I know it's never gotten the HD treatment, the two DVD sets I have are both pretty good at best, a Blu-ray would have been nice but I can't see that ever happening.

There may be some HD TV broadcast captures out there somewhere but I've never come across them.
It wasn't broadcast in HD, was it? Was it shot on film so it could be telecined? I can't remember if it was shot on film or all digital. If all there is is a SD master, that's all we'll ever get.
post #20 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
It wasn't broadcast in HD, was it? Was it shot on film so it could be telecined? I can't remember if it was shot on film or all digital. If all there is is a SD master, that's all we'll ever get.
I don't remember and to be honest, I haven't really researched it other than knowing that I've only ever seen the DVD sets. I'm not even sure who owns the rights to the series, given that it was a joint(Canada/South Africa) production the rights could be a messy problem as far as an updated release goes.
post #21 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I don't remember and to be honest, I haven't really researched it other than knowing that I've only ever seen the DVD sets. I'm not even sure who owns the rights to the series, given that it was a joint(Canada/South Africa) production the rights could be a messy problem as far as an updated release goes.
It was shot in 16x9, and that usually means HD. But even if an HD master exists, I can't see them printing a BD set for general sale, not now. Maybe some cyber-mogel out there where you live can pay for it as a vanity project. A lot of those guys are pretty nerdy. Ask around, willya'?
Keenan likes this.
post #22 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, they really did. The humor on this show is one of the things that sets it apart. Whedon wrote a substantial bible for the show, a 2 year process of creating these characters and their world(s). The attention to detail is impressive. Note all the references to "Blue Sun" -- they're everywhere. He was building a complex mythology, one that would have held up for several seasons worth of adventures. And no sound in the vacuum of space! Who does that? Besides Kubrick, I mean?

With this Renaissance in good sci-fi I wonder if Whedon and Fox might think about returning to Firefly? Or maybe another network, i.e. Syfy. Has Whedon expressed any desire to return to this series? He's done with Avengers, what else he gonna do?

Quote:
I just couldn't get into Caprica. It was more like Caprica 90201.

Quote:
Big fan of fear the Walking Dead. I think they did it right with a slow burn, if anything they could have went slower in some cases.
My main gripe with Fear is the characters. I just didn't care for most of them.

Quote:
An absolute must for any true sci-fi fan, otherwise relinquish your professional sci-fi fan license at the door when you leave.

Spoiler!

What is this Charlie Jade you speak of? Lol. Don't think I've ever heard of it. When did it air and on what channel?

Quote:

Just checked and NF doesn't have it.
Tack likes this.

post #23 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Oh, My. What an indescribable thread. (Indescribable because I just can't think of a better word right now)

Now I'm going to have to get out my copies and binge on Charlie jade, Firefly, Max Headroom, Babylon 5, and who knows what else.

As to Charlie Jade, If I remember correctly, The SciFi channel shuffled it all over the place and it ended up in a 2AM graveyard slot.
Nayan likes this.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #24 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

What is this Charlie Jade you speak of? Lol. Don't think I've ever heard of it. When did it air and on what channel?

Just checked and NF doesn't have it.
Yeah, it's too bad Netflix or Amazon don't have it. Hulu has it but I really wouldn't want to watch it that way. I haven't used Hulu in a very long time so maybe the quality and user experience has gotten better, but I'd recommend finding the DVD set. The problem with that though is that there is no NTSC release, they are all PAL as far as I can tell, but if you have a multi-format capable player then you're good to go as the releases I've seen are both Region 0.

Looks like the 'bay has a few for very good prices but it appears to be very limited quantity.
Charlie Jade on Ebay

Amazon.uk has some good pricing. Amazon USA is priced pretty high.
post #25 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
As to Charlie Jade, If I remember correctly, The SciFi channel shuffled it all over the place and it ended up in a 2AM graveyard slot.
That's true. They bought 'Charlie Jade' on the cheap and popped it on the air one Friday nite at 10:00 with no advance publicity. Nobody knew anything about it, and you wouldn't even have seen it if you hadn't been surfing the Sci-fi channel that evening. After two weeks of low ratings (who woulda' thunk it?), they exiled it to the coveted Tuesday morning 2 AM ginsu knives time slot. But since they bought 'em, they ran 'em, all 20 hours straight through. And that was it. If you missed it, tough luck.

Some of us fans -- the few, the proud, the brave (we even had an AVS thread) -- bought the DVD sets. There were two of them, UK and Australia releases, only the latter with a 5.1 soundtrack (I have both). Amazon still has some. Our advice: get one while you still can.
post #26 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4072 Post(s)
Liked: 5206
Quote:
Caprica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Do you think Caprica is worth watching or should I not waste my time?

Quote:
Quote:

I just couldn't get into Caprica. It was more like Caprica 90201.

Thanks.
post #27 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 06:09 PM

Am I getting dissed for liking 'Caprica' or for not getting back sooner with a recommendation?

Anyway, yeah, I'd watch it just because it was set in the same universe as BSG. But it's a lot slower burn, not really a balls-to-the-walls action show like that. Planet based as opposed to space based. They were trying to show the history behind the development of the Cylons and the politics of the 12 Colonies. Later seasons would, presumably, have described how they turned bad, and maybe even led into the first Cylon War. But the first season, the only one we got, was basically setting up the board and the pieces on it.

Eric Stoltz was in it and I'm not a big fan of his, but the rest of the cast was solid - Esai Morales, Polly Walker, Paula Malcomson from 'Deadwood' among them.
Tack and jazzycat like this.

Last edited by archiguy; 01-09-2016 at 06:16 PM.
post #28 of 475 Old 01-09-2016, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked: 1480
One of my favorites from childhood is finally out in HD on Blu-Ray... and the quality is outstanding!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	1175034   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1175042  

"we're on to Cincinnati!"
post #29 of 475 Old 01-10-2016, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

This is definitely true. I really liked this show, and the concept behind it. Too bad when they needed US funding, the Syfy channel showed it in a time slot guaranteed to have it fail, so, no second season.

Quote:
Yeah, they really did. The humor on this show is one of the things that sets it apart.
Yes, it had a lot of humor, but Jayne (Adam Baldwin) really had all the best lines. Like Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey.

Now that you have brought it up, there are a bunch of shows I'm remembering. In no particular order:

Odyssey 5
Defying Gravity
Babylon 5
The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy
Dark Angel (season 1--NOT season 2)
Red Dwarf
The Lost Room
Primeval (keep watching till the end, it's worth it)
UFO (old, camp)
Moonbase 3 (*IF* you can find it, unlikely)
John Doe
Day Break
Journeyman

Many of these are "failed" series, but are worth watching anyway.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #30 of 475 Old 01-10-2016, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 878
Subscribed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
fantasy , sci fi , science fiction , space , worm holes