post #1 of 35 Old 12-23-2018, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
HDR appears over-saturated

Hey folks,

I got a new projector recently from a Chinese company called the XGIMI Lune, which is supposed to be able to "support" 4k (1080p Native), and play HDR10. A few people on the official Lune thread (and later Lune 4k thread) have complained about washed out picture when using HDR. I'm having a bit of the opposite issue. I'm finding video to be over-saturated. I'm certain it's user error, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Below are some photographs I've taken playing the HDR demo video found here: http://4kmedia.org/lg-chess-hdr-demo/ This isn't peculiar to this video (in fact, this is one of the better ones I've used), but most demo test videos I've used have similar issues where skin tones are too red, foliage (not seen in this example) is almost neon green, water is super blue. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that my Lune is not color calibrated correctly, or if it's a player settings, or what. For the record, Nvidia control panel is set to the following:

I'm using MPC-BE as the HDR player (I keep HDR in the Windows Display settings off, and let MPC-BE turn it on when an HDR video is playing), and VLC as the non-HDR player, but I get similar results playing HDR YouTube videos in Chrome. I also have madVR set to "let madVR decide".

After starting this thread, I decided to also play this video in Window 10's "Movies and TV" app with HDR turned on in the Windows Display Settings, and noticed that the images there were considerably more natural looking:

So, the following shows Non-HDR images in VLC, followed by the HDR images in MPC-BE, and finally HDR images in Movies and TV (pictures taken with my Pixel 3 using night-mode).

No HDR VLC

HDR MPC-BE

HDR Movies and TV

No HDR VLC

HDR MPC-BE

HDR Movies and TV

No HDR VLC

HDR MPC-BE

HDR Movies and TV

No HDR VLC

HDR MPC-BE

HDR Movies and TV

Unrelated (I think), I'm also noticing a bit of judder using MPC-BE. Again, certainly user error someplace. Any help that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by adrift; 12-23-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 12-23-2018, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Those images look like a mess. It is tough to tell what is going because you have three different tone mapping curves going on. The projector should treat the actual HDR inputs the same if it is using its HDR mode. You need to provide more information. Can you confirm in the display information for the projector that its HDR mode is active? Does it register a BT.2020 PQ input?

Instead of choosing "let madVR decide," select "passthrough HDR to display."

The only image that looks like it could be correct is the second one with MPC-BE. That woman is supposed to be wearing that much makeup because she is performing onstage. The faces of the men in the following shots do look oversaturated. If you are using HDR -> SDR in madVR, it could be a configuration issue with color gamuts or the target brightness.

You picked a terrible demo for skin tones. Try an actual HDR movie with some caucasian faces. HDR demo videos are deliberately colorful.
adrift likes this.
post #3 of 35 Old 12-23-2018, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
Those images look like a mess. It is tough to tell what is going because you have three different tone mapping curves going on. The projector should treat the actual HDR inputs the same if it is using its HDR mode. You need to provide more information. Can you confirm in the display information for the projector that its HDR mode is active? Does it register a BT.2020 PQ input?

Instead of choosing "let madVR decide," select "passthrough HDR to display."

The only image that looks like it could be correct is the second one with MPC-BE. That woman is supposed to be wearing that much makeup because she is performing onstage. The faces of the men in the following shots do look oversaturated. If you are using HDR -> SDR in madVR, it could be a configuration issue with color gamuts or the target brightness.

You picked a terrible demo for skin tones. Try an actual HDR movie with some caucasian faces. HDR demo videos are deliberately colorful.

Thanks so much for your reply Onkyoman. If you couldn't guess, I'm completely new to the HDR game. This is the first device I've owned that's supposed to be capable of it. The Lune doesn't (as far as I can tell) actually have a way to confirm that HDR mode is active. Since I couldn't find a setting for it, I assumed it was always on to detect HDR when it's turned on at the source. The only input it registers (again, as far as I can tell) is that it's running in HDMI 2.0, 2160p@60Hz. Since everything is in Chinese, I'm kinda flying blind (using a Google Translator app on my phone to translate text on screen).

I'll try "passthrough HDR to display". I previously had it set to that, but switched it upon reading conflicting data on a few forums.

I'll try an actual HDR movie. The only reason why I thought this was a decent demo was because it was one that showed people (there seem to be so few of those), and because I figured it'd be something that anyone could access and run on their machines, but yeah, I'll try a popular movie instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 12-23-2018, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
Thanks so much for your reply Onkyoman. If you couldn't guess, I'm completely new to the HDR game. This is the first device I've owned that's supposed to be capable of it. The Lune doesn't (as far as I can tell) actually have a way to confirm that HDR mode is active. Since I couldn't find a setting for it, I assumed it was always on to detect HDR when it's turned on at the source. The only input it registers (again, as far as I can tell) is that it's running in HDMI 2.0, 2160p@60Hz. Since everything is in Chinese, I'm kinda flying blind (using a Google Translator app on my phone to translate text on screen).

I'll try "passthrough HDR to display". I previously had it set to that, but switched it upon reading conflicting data on a few forums.

I'll try an actual HDR movie. The only reason why I thought this was a decent demo was because it was one that showed people (there seem to be so few of those), and because I figured it'd be something that anyone could access and run on their machines, but yeah, I'll try a popular movie instead.
That is a good demo for this. I'd suggest rather than trying to get HDR working on your projector (which certainly won't be good at HDR) that instead you setup madVR to tone map the HDR to SDR. You'll get a far better result doing this on a projector.

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #5 of 35 Old 12-23-2018, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I tried the LG Chess Demo and I can't replicate your results. I tried with HDR -> SDR at 425 target nits with a recent build of madVR:

Image Link Here

I would have assumed HDR -> SDR was kicking-in because you wouldn't get an oversaturated image if HDR wasn't making it to the display.

Are you using an older build of madVR? Maybe you are using the old HDR -> SDR tone mapping, which could produce an oversaturated result. Something is not right.

Last edited by Onkyoman; 12-23-2018 at 08:38 PM.
post #6 of 35 Old 12-23-2018, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
That is a good demo for this. I'd suggest rather than trying to get HDR working on your projector (which certainly won't be good at HDR) that instead you setup madVR to tone map the HDR to SDR. You'll get a far better result doing this on a projector.

Yeah, reading articles on projectors and HDR, I guess they don't make a very good combination right now. Hmm. That sucks. Well, I guess I need to start reading up on tone mapping the HDR to SDR. Any guides you can point my way?

Thanks for the help!

Quote:
I tried the LG Chess Demo and I can't replicate your results. I tried with HDR -> SDR at 425 target nits with a recent build of madVR:

Image Link Here

I would have assumed HDR -> SDR was kicking-in because you wouldn't get an oversaturated image if HDR wasn't making it to the display.

Are you using an older build of madVR? Maybe you are using the old HDR -> SDR tone mapping, which could produce an oversaturated result. Something is not right.

Wow. So that's how it's supposed to look. Man. Lot nicer than whatever is going on with my setup. I updated my version of madVR when starting this project, but I'm certain I don't have several setting set up correctly. I just resubscribed to Netflix to see if I could get things working with HDR content there through their app and in Edge, but when I started playing HDR content (in this case, "A Series of Unfortunate Events"), the app crashed, and Netflix through Edge froze up on me. So, yeah, I'm doing something wrong. I think I'll take markmon's advice and try mapping HDR to SDR instead.

On the bright side, I discovered a decent show in Netflix.

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Edit: I got Netflix to stop crashing on me with HDR content. I have a dual monitor setup (the projector being the secondary monitor). I had it set to only show on the second monitor/projector, but apparently that's not good enough. Unplugging the primary monitor allows the show to continue playing, but now I get the dreaded "washed out color" syndrome (and the picture quality in MPC-BE isn't any better). So, yeah, not much progress.

Last edited by adrift; 12-23-2018 at 10:35 PM.
post #7 of 35 Old 12-24-2018, 01:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Quote:
Yeah, reading articles on projectors and HDR, I guess they don't make a very good combination right now. Hmm. That sucks. Well, I guess I need to start reading up on tone mapping the HDR to SDR. Any guides you can point my way?

Well my suggestion is to leave all the desktop stuff set to normal color space no HDR. This should look good on your projector. Then for HDR content use madVR and on the HDR tab under devices, select "tone map HDR using pixel shaders". Enter a target peak somewhere between 200-450 depending on your screensize, projector lumens, and how bright of an image you need (lower number brightens image but reduces headroom for highlights), then the rest of the settings will depend on which version of madVR you have (its changing daily). But even this much is a good start.
adrift likes this.

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #8 of 35 Old 12-24-2018, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You may have checked something wrong under calibration. Choose "this display is already calibrated" and select either BT.709 or BT.2020 (to match the color space of your projector in SDR mode) and set the transfer function / gamma to 2.40.
adrift likes this.
post #9 of 35 Old 12-26-2018, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks so much for your help, both of you. I'll mess around with this more when I get a chance. Hope you both had a wonderful Christmas.

Source: Windows 10 Pro, i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1070
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR676 in a 5.1.2 audio configuration
Video Output: XGIMI Lune (XJ01V), XYScreen Pet Crystal screen
post #10 of 35 Old 12-30-2018, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey guys, I'm back. Got a few more questions, issues, etc.

So taking the advice to "setup madVR to tone map the HDR to SDR" I simply needed to select "tone map HDR using pixel shaders" in madVR's settings (under HDR), correct? Doing so, I'm not seeing a major difference between that, and not using HDR at all.

Onkyoman, if you don't mind me asking, how were you able to screen grab that image of the princess for your screenshot? Is that a photograph of your screen using an SLR and tripod or something? Whenever I attempt to do a normal screen grab, shift-f5 in MPC-BE, or print-screen, or even using software like Snag-It, MPC-BE seemingly won't let me. The image either comes out all black, or reverts to SDR.

I haven't given up completely on this yet. I really think a lot of my issues have to do with poor out-of-the-box calibration. I ordered an X-Rite i1 Display Pro kit to help me create a custom calibrated ICC profile for my projector.

I have some other major issues with MPC-BE, and probably should open another thread for it, but some of my issues may tie in with my HDR issues, so I'll mention them in the next post...

post #11 of 35 Old 12-30-2018, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So, I'm somewhat familiar with MPC-HC, but it was one of those players that, once I had it nice and set up for 1080p, I simply stopped messing around with it, so my familiarity dropped off. Getting this new projector that can support 4k content, I realized that MPC-HC was no longer supported, so kinda side-graded to MPC-BE. I went through a few guides in setting it up, but I'm certain I've skipped over, and/or wrongly setup a few things (so many options, so much literature to read). So the major issues I'm noticing right now is that with my 4k video samples I'm getting major frame drop, and with some 1080/720p content, while not noticing the same major frame drops, I'm getting weird image distortion that looks a lot like an oil or watercolor paint filter in a photoshop program. So, for instance, below is an image from a .avi that I own:

http://ibb.co/jTF04Rz

I mean, it's a neat effect, but that image is not supposed to look like that.

Here are most of my key settings. Let me know if I've royally jacked something up.

http://imgur.com/a/Xm80VMH

post #12 of 35 Old 12-31-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Onkyoman, if you don't mind me asking, how were you able to screen grab that image of the princess for your screenshot? Is that a photograph of your screen using an SLR and tripod or something? Whenever I attempt to do a normal screen grab, shift-f5 in MPC-BE, or print-screen, or even using software like Snag-It, MPC-BE seemingly won't let me. The image either comes out all black, or reverts to SDR.
If you are using fullscreen exclusive mode in madVR, you can't take screenshots. You also can't take screenshots if Windows is running as a shell or if the signal is native HDR.

If you are converting to SDR with madVR, use Alt + I in MPC-BE to take a screenshot. There are also some screenshot settings in madVR that you can adjust.

Quote:
I haven't given up completely on this yet. I really think a lot of my issues have to do with poor out-of-the-box calibration. I ordered an X-Rite i1 Display Pro kit to help me create a custom calibrated ICC profile for my projector.
madVR can't use ICC profiles. Instead, create a 3D LUT with the madVR test pattern generator and something free like DisplayCAL. The 3D LUT will do the best job. It should fix any color issues you are having.
adrift likes this.
post #13 of 35 Old 12-31-2018, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, I'm somewhat familiar with MPC-HC, but it was one of those players that, once I had it nice and set up for 1080p, I simply stopped messing around with it, so my familiarity dropped off. Getting this new projector that can support 4k content, I realized that MPC-HC was no longer supported, so kinda side-graded to MPC-BE. I went through a few guides in setting it up, but I'm certain I've skipped over, and/or wrongly setup a few things (so many options, so much literature to read). So the major issues I'm noticing right now is that with my 4k video samples I'm getting major frame drop, and with some 1080/720p content, while not noticing the same major frame drops, I'm getting weird image distortion that looks a lot like an oil or watercolor paint filter in a photoshop program. So, for instance, below is an image from a .avi that I own:

Here are most of my key settings. Let me know if I've royally jacked something up.

I don't see anything that unusual. If you aren't getting dropped frames and all of the queues are full, I'm not sure why the image would be distorted.

I would use D3D11 Automatic (Native) for hardware decoding if you aren't cropping black bars. I wouldn't use fullscreen exclusive mode with Windows 10. You also set up LAV Filters differently than I do in MPC-BE. I'd set it up like this: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...590#pid1843590.
adrift likes this.
post #14 of 35 Old 12-31-2018, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you are using fullscreen exclusive mode in madVR, you can't take screenshots. You also can't take screenshots if Windows is running as a shell or if the signal is native HDR.

If you are converting to SDR with madVR, use Alt + I in MPC-BE to take a screenshot. There are also some screenshot settings in madVR that you can adjust.
Ah, well that explains it then. So what did you do to capture your hdr image? A photograph of your screen?

Quote:
madVR can't use ICC profiles. Instead, create a 3D LUT with the madVR test pattern generator and something free like DisplayCAL. The 3D LUT will do the best job. It should fix any color issues you are having.
It can't use ICC profiles with madVR? Dang it. Why can't anything be simple? Well that sucks. I've never messed around with 3D LUTs and whatnot, so I guess it'll be a learning experience.

Quote:
I don't see anything that unusual. If you aren't getting dropped frames and all of the queues are full, I'm not sure why the image would be distorted.

I would use D3D11 Automatic (Native) for hardware decoding if you aren't cropping black bars. I wouldn't use fullscreen exclusive mode with Windows 10. You also set up LAV Filters differently than I do in MPC-BE. I'd set it up like this: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...590#pid1843590.
Ok, I'll try making some of those changes. Just to clarify, I AM seeing dropped frames for my 4k hdr test files, just not in smaller lower res .avi's and .mkv's and the like. Also, though of course these smaller video files don't use hdr, fullscreen exclusive mode is required for hdr playback, is that correct?

post #15 of 35 Old 12-31-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm converting HDR to SDR, so screenshots still work.
adrift likes this.
post #16 of 35 Old 12-31-2018, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm converting HDR to SDR, so screenshots still work.
Oh, duh. You even stated that in your original post. Sorry about that. Alright, I'll attempt the conversion again see if I can get anything close to what you were able to produce. My first attempt I must have done something wrong, because it looked pretty meh.

post #17 of 35 Old 12-31-2018, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

You have way too high a setting in madVR/scaling/image enhancements/upscaling refinement. You didn't post a pic of these settings but I think if you tone it down it'll look proper.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1809 / MPC-BE\HC / PowerDVD 18 / DVDFab Player 3/5 / KODI videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #18 of 35 Old 12-31-2018, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
You have way too high a setting in madVR/scaling/image enhancements/upscaling refinement. You didn't post a pic of these settings but I think if you tone it down it'll look proper.
Hmm. I mostly left it at its default settings I think. This is how I have it currently set up now.

Anything I should tweak?

post #19 of 35 Old 12-31-2018, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, so Onkyoman, took your advice and tried to match up my settings per your suggestions. Video is a bit smoother for the 4k clips I downloaded. I tried to emulate your SDR image of the princess. She's not as colorful though.

http://i.ibb.co/qJGjsJf/princess.jpg

Also the OSD is still reporting quite a few dropped/repeated frames (as you can see in the image). Is that normal?

As far as the distortion for low res files, double-checking and it's only occurring with small 720p and under files. I'm assuming it's some sort of aggressive up-scaling or something I have set. Not sure where, but it's not that big of a deal I suppose.

post #20 of 35 Old 12-31-2018, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I can create a picture just like yours by over tweaking those settings. You have those settings all off which is fine because you haven't done any processing to the file so those settings aren't the problem. You might also take a look at madVR/processing/artifact removal/RRA and RCA although I doubt they can process a picture as bad as what you posted. Worth a try in case you have some too high values. I haven't checked to see if they can do this but you can always reenable them if no affect. That really is a strange avi. It looks like it's about 1 megapixel.
adrift likes this.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1809 / MPC-BE\HC / PowerDVD 18 / DVDFab Player 3/5 / KODI videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #21 of 35 Old 12-31-2018, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
I can create a picture just like yours by over tweaking those settings. You have those settings all off which is fine because you haven't done any processing to the file so those settings aren't the problem. You might also take a look at madVR/processing/artifact removal/RRA and RCA although I doubt they can process a picture as bad as what you posted. Worth a try in case you have some too high values. I haven't checked to see if they can do this but you can always reenable them if no affect. That really is a strange avi. It looks like it's about 1 megapixel.

You're a genius. I only went through my 2160 and 1080 Processing and Scaling folders. Going through my 720, and especially my SD folders, I noticed that I had crispen and thin edges selected for both (as well as RCA selected). The boxes were checked for default enhancements, but apparently that's too much for some of the crummier SD files I have (not that I have many). Unchecking them all resolved the issue (including a filter to reduce noise). I'm going to see if I can tweak them a bit, because they made the picture crisp, just...well...distorted. It's probably a waste of time, because I don't usually watch many SD files on my PC.

Edit: And...yeah, nah, I like it better with all enhancements unchecked.

Last edited by adrift; 12-31-2018 at 03:46 PM.
post #22 of 35 Old 01-04-2019, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Doing some more testing here. So I'm having an issue in madVR where if I set "tone map HDR using pixel shaders" with target peak nits of 400 (I've experimented with lower peak nits too), tone mapping curve BT.2390, and the rest set to medium or high, I'm ending up with a pretty bland looking picture. If I play the same file with MPV, the result looks great. It looks a lot more colorful, as though it's playing in HDR, but with the correct gamma set. I read briefly that MPV uses some sort of algorithm to tone map HDR to SDR. Is there a way to get MPC-BE with madVR to look more like MPV? Is that where creating a 3DLut comes in? I haven't attempted that yet.

Below are some comparison shots of MPV (on the left) with MPC-BE/madVR from Blade Runner 2049:

For further comparison's sake, below is a picture of my screen using a Pixel 3 when I turn HDR on in madVR. The Pixel 3 sharpens the image slightly, but it's a pretty fair representation of what I see with the naked eye.

Last edited by adrift; 01-04-2019 at 12:46 PM.
post #23 of 35 Old 01-04-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I really don't understand how you manage to suck the color out of the picture. Make sure you uncheck everything under trade quality performance. You might need to post an image of the HDR panel in madVR. An extensive comparison between mpv and madVR was posted some time ago at Doom9. You shouldn't be getting a more colorful image with mpv.
post #24 of 35 Old 01-04-2019, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I really don't understand how you manage to suck the color out of the picture. Make sure you uncheck everything under trade quality performance. You might need to post an image of the HDR panel in madVR. An extensive comparison between mpv and madVR was posted some time ago at Doom9. You shouldn't be getting a more colorful image with mpv.

The only options I had ticked under "trade quality for performance" under Rendering is:

"optimize subtitle quality for performance instead of quality"
"don't analyze gradient angels for debanding"
"don't render frames when fade in/out is detected"

I unticked all of those those checkboxes, and then reduced peak nits to 200 (think I had it set on 400 in the first screenshot). Below is a screenshot of my current hdr settings in madVR:

MPV on the left, HPC-BE/madVR on the right:

For extra credit, here's a comparison screenshot from the hdr Chess video with the princess. For some reason I haven't been able to figure out yet, while adding more color, MPV plays back super choppy, and when it gets to this particular scene the whole image goes dark (but then gets brighter afterwards). MPC-BE plays back the video with no noticeable stuttering, but with lots of dropped/repeated frames (and as you can also see, completely blown out). I suspect that MPV is stuttering in this second example (stuttering not noticeable when I play Blade Runner 2049), because I may not be outputting to my GPU in that player. I can't figure out how to change the video output settings in MPV yet because I don't really understand how to configure MPV in Windows. It's all command line based with no GUI. I simply downloaded it to Windows, and then opened the limited GUI it had to load the videos files.

MPV again on the left, MPC-BE on the right.

I just want to re-express how grateful I am to you helping me out. I really appreciate that there's something like the AVS community helping folks out.

post #25 of 35 Old 01-05-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The LG Chess demo looks fairly accurate. I would chose the option passthrough/SDR that gives you the best image. If you add a 3D LUT, you will at least know you are getting a correct D6500 image with the correct colors.

The next madVR build should also offer a fairly significant improvement to image quality. I would wait for that, as well.
post #26 of 35 Old 01-06-2019, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
The LG Chess demo looks fairly accurate. I would chose the option passthrough/SDR that gives you the best image. If you add a 3D LUT, you will at least know you are getting a correct D6500 image with the correct colors.

The next madVR build should also offer a fairly significant improvement to image quality. I would wait for that, as well.

Ok, so I've never created a 3D Lut before, but finally created one with DisplayCal. Not sure I selected all of the right settings:

Unfortunately, no matter how long I worked on getting the RGB and the White Point lined up, I simply was not able to. I could get RGB lined up in the center, but the White Point was about half of where it was supposed to be. There's no gamma selection on this projector, and messing with brightness and contrast only helped so much before it washed the screen out. Below was my compromise. The blue is obviously way too high, and the red and green are not at the center mark, but it's the closest I could get things lined up and keep my White Point without the screen looking like a complete mess.

All said and done, it honestly looks pretty decent. The blue doesn't over take the image (it's actually warmer than the "warm" projector setting), and it appears to my eye to be pretty balanced overall, especially compared to the projector's default colors. Here are the results when the 3D Lut is added to madVR:

post #27 of 35 Old 01-06-2019, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

By the way, someone else used the same 4k Chess video with the princess to do an HDR comparison last year with some interesting results.

http://www.resetera.com/threads/i-d...op.7940/page-5

post #28 of 35 Old 01-07-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm sure you got a good result. If your meter is accurate and the 3D LUT report verified the 3D LUT as accurate, you should be good to go. Her face seems too waxy, but that could just be a screenshot.

That particular frame of the princess is challenging. It is measured at 10,000 nits and is being tone mapped to a much lower brightness. If you change the target nits in madVR, you will get different amounts of color saturation. So it is hard to find a perfect baseline with that demo alone. You could have too much or too little color depending on your settings. I would guess tone mapping is adding a little too much color to her face.

I'd watch some actual movies, especially with the new build, converting to SDR to determine if you are convinced of the accuracy of the 3D LUT.
post #29 of 35 Old 01-07-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just looked at your settings for your 3D LUT. I would try again with a normal DCI-P3 or BT.709 2.20 or 2.40 gamma SDR 3D LUT instead of having DisplayCAL convert to SDR. You will want to use the tone mapping of madVR with the next public build. Trust me, it is getting very good and very dynamic, while a 3D LUT is static. To use its dynamic tone mapping with a 3D LUT, you need to create a standard SDR 3D LUT, not an HDR or HDR to SDR 3D LUT. DCI-P3 is preferred over BT.2020 if your projector supports a wide color gamut.
adrift likes this.
post #30 of 35 Old 01-07-2019, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm sure you got a good result. If your meter is accurate and the 3D LUT report verified the 3D LUT as accurate, you should be good to go. Her face seems too waxy, but that could just be a screenshot.

That particular frame of the princess is challenging. It is measured at 10,000 nits and is being tone mapped to a much lower brightness. If you change the target nits in madVR, you will get different amounts of color saturation. So it is hard to find a perfect baseline with that demo alone. You could have too much or too little color depending on your settings. I would guess tone mapping is adding a little too much color to her face.

I'd watch some actual movies, especially with the new build, converting to SDR to determine if you are convinced of the accuracy of the 3D LUT.
Honestly, the 4k Chess video clip looked a lot more...detailed (maybe?) during playback. I mean, to me it looked very good, just the colors are not quite where I think they're supposed to be (especially if you compare it to the other thread where her collar is likely supposed to be blue).

As for the Blade Runner 2049 scene, I chose that particular scene because it's dark, and I wanted to see if it looked as good in MPC with madVR as it does in MPV. With the addition of the 3D LUT, the colors do look a bit more accurate (as far as I can tell), but the picture is much darker. I don't really get why that is, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

I'll attempt to mess with the target nits in madVR (I didn't see that setting after I applied the 3D LUT, but I wasn't looking for it either, so I may have missed it). Do you know if I set the Tone Curve correctly in DisplayCal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers