1Likes
  • 1 Post By ack_bk

post #1 of 14 Old 01-12-2019, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Looking for the right projector

I’m currently building my first home theater and am looking for suggestions for the right projector for me. I will likely be using it on a screen about 100-100” inches. I have a HT guy doing the install but want to make sure I get what’s right for me instead of just relying on what I’m told is best.

Here is what is suggested:
Epson 4K ProCinema 6040UB

I was also looking at the JVC line which has some good options. I was considering the JVC DLA-X790R. However I also see it’s still not true 4K but their pixel shift. Does that really matter? Is there a better option available within a couple thousand? The Epson also isn’t native 4K. This isn’t a must but is nice to have if it’s affordable. Also seems the blacks may be an issue with lack of depth for the Epson. Not being able to support HDR is another big downside.

My HT use: Action and comedy movies and streaming shows.

My limitations: I will have it calibrated by my HT guy and will probably never touch it again. I’m not tech savvy and would probably only make a bigger mess of things.

I am concerned with “soap opera effect”, I hate the way that looks and want to make sure whatever I get doesn’t have that.

I also like a some ambient light when watching movies. I know this isn’t great for projectors and people like everything black and dark. I will have multiple lighting options with a tray ceiling and Phillips Hue LED lighting, wall sconces, and in ceiling lights that will all be dimmable. Obviously I will not have them all on but will play with various combinations to see what works best. Is this a deal breaker for having a projector and still trying to get excellent picture quality? Would I be better off with a TV even though it would be far smaller? What are some good sub 10K projectors that might be good for me to check out? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-12-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1388
What is your seating distance to the screen? Any video games? With some ambient light you will want a projector with strong lumens, but by this forums standards a 100" screen is not that big.

The Epson should meet your needs, I am a big JVC fan but if your adding ambient lighting you are negating the big strength of the JVC which is contrast.

4K may not matter much depending on your seating distance.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-12-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3735 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastingmytime View Post
Here is what is suggested:
Epson 4K ProCinema 6040UB

I was also looking at the JVC line which has some good options. I was considering the JVC DLA-X790R. However I also see it’s still not true 4K but their pixel shift.
The Epson 6040UB also uses pixel shift, so that’s not a distinguishing factor between the two.

Quote:
I am concerned with “soap opera effect”, I hate the way that looks and want to make sure whatever I get doesn’t have that.
This can be turned off on both projectors.

Quote:
What are some good sub 10K projectors that might be good for me to check out? Thanks in advance!
The just-out JVC RS1000/2000 are native 4k and within this budget.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-12-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-12-2019, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
What is your seating distance to the screen? Any video games? With some ambient light you will want a projector with strong lumens, but by this forums standards a 100" screen is not that big.

The Epson should meet your needs, I am a big JVC fan but if your adding ambient lighting you are negating the big strength of the JVC which is contrast.

4K may not matter much depending on your seating distance.
No video games or music. First row will be about 12’ and second row 18’ from screen. I can do dark but I just like having some ambient light. It’s not a must but I prefer it. Even in my living room when we watch TV at night I will dim the lights to 25% and think it’s perfect (all other lights off).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The Epson 6040UB also uses pixel shift, so that’s not a distinguishing factor between the two.

This can be turned off on both projectors.

The just-out JVC RS1000/2000 are native 4k and within this budget.
Good to know. 4K is also not a must have, just a nice to have. I will look at those models, thanks for sharing! Seems like JVC is the preferred choice.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-13-2019, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am by no means an expert, but I would think a 100" screen might be on the small side for those seating distances.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-13-2019, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Sherman View Post
I am by no means an expert, but I would think a 100" screen might be on the small side for those seating distances.
I wonder about that as well. I just have no experience in this so I was just basing off what my HT guy said. But that’s also why I’m here, to learn what is optimal for me versus “them”.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-13-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I wonder about that as well. I just have no experience in this so I was just basing off what my HT guy said. But that’s also why I’m here, to learn what is optimal for me versus “them”.
To be fair if your room is 12' wide it's possible your installer picked that size screen to fit large floor standing speakers to the sides of the screen. You also want to avoid having speakers right next to side walls.

Personally I would not be happy sitting 12-18' from a 106" screen.

See this chart below to get an idea of resolution to seating distance.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

Couple thoughts. With a 24" false wall and acoustically transparent screen you shorten your seating distance to screen by 2' and if you step up to say a 125" screen you know are sitting in the sweet spot for 4K in the front row and much better for 2nd row for 1080p.

How tall are your ceilings and riser? Just need to make sure that size will work for the second row to see.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Also I would consider the JVC RS540 regardless of what screen. JVC slashed the price recently and it's a lot of projector for the money. It's e-shift but has excellent color and throws a good amount of lumens and offers good placement flexibility.

Give Mike Garrett/Avsforum sales and Cleveland Plasma a call. Both are authorized dealers and both can usually give you great pricing and service.
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-13-2019, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
To be fair if your room is 12' wide it's possible your installer picked that size screen to fit large floor standing speakers to the sides of the screen. You also want to avoid having speakers right next to side walls.

Personally I would not be happy sitting 12-18' from a 106" screen.

See this chart below to get an idea of resolution to seating distance.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

Couple thoughts. With a 24" false wall and acoustically transparent screen you shorten your seating distance to screen by 2' and if you step up to say a 125" screen you know are sitting in the sweet spot for 4K in the front row and much better for 2nd row for 1080p.

How tall are your ceilings and riser? Just need to make sure that size will work for the second row to see.
Dang it! That chart shows that the 106” isn’t near good enough for 4K content unless I’m like 10 feet from it. Thanks for the modification tip, guess i will be going that route and getting a bigger screen thats acoustically transparent. I was recommended to look at Stewart Films a couple others so I’ll give them a look. And I will most likely be going the JVC route as well. Thanks for the contacts too.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-13-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Dang it! That chart shows that the 106” isn’t near good enough for 4K content unless I’m like 10 feet from it. Thanks for the modification tip, guess i will be going that route and getting a bigger screen thats acoustically transparent. I was recommended to look at Stewart Films a couple others so I’ll give them a look. And I will most likely be going the JVC route as well. Thanks for the contacts too.
Stewart screens are excellent. A little more money or a lot more depending on what line, but I would like to upgrade to a Stewart down the road.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-13-2019, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Stewart screens are excellent. A little more money or a lot more depending on what line, but I would like to upgrade to a Stewart down the road.
My ceiling is 9’ and the riser is 16” BTW. Good to hear about Stewart. I just posted in that thread so I hope I can find something good for me. Now I just need to find a great deal on a JVC RS540 or RS1000.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-13-2019, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Quoted: 10383 Post(s)
Liked: 8031
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I would go with a scope AT screen. That solves most of your problems. What is your room size? I saw 9' ceiling and 12' width.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://afterconvert.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 01-13-2019 at 07:11 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-14-2019, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Totally agree with this. It's what I did and it turned out amazing!
post #14 of 14 Old 01-14-2019, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I would go with a scope AT screen. That solves most of your problems. What is your room size? I saw 9' ceiling and 12' width.
Awesome thanks! yes the room is 23’Lx12’Wx9’H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Sherman View Post
Totally agree with this. It's what I did and it turned out amazing!
Great, I told my HT guy I wanted to do this and he’s meeting up with me in a couple hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
4k shift , Epson , hdr , Jvc , projector