Forum Jump: 
 96Likes

post #1 of 149 Old 09-09-2018, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 47
JVC NX5 vs NX7 vs 790/540

Sorry to make a derivative post here, but the main thread is going supersonic with a penchant towards discussing the NX9 and very detailed specs.

I am upgrading from a VPLHW45ES and my price range is 4k-8k so those 3 fall in nicely. The only reason, other than price, I would choose the 790R over the N5 would be the superior contrast levels of the 790. Am I wrong here? Would the auto tone mapping and native 4k offset the loss of contrast?

Also, in regards to the N7 vs N5, it seems for $2k you get an auto iris and double the contrast (and a slight bump in lumens). Where are we all at with the difference between these 2? Worth it?

I just thought that a lot of other people would be in the same boat as me and would love to have some input from the great minds on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 149 Old 09-10-2018, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anderko View Post
Sorry to make a derivative post here, but the main thread is going supersonic with a penchant towards discussing the NX9 and very detailed specs.
I appreciate your post as I'm not going to pay 18K due to the TWF. I could get away with the NX7 or RS2000.

I would also appreciate speculating screen recommendations for this projector as it will NOT be in a dedicated theater. I've had my Epson 1080UB projecting onto a Stewart GrayHawk for many years.

I'm ecstatic about the possibility of finally having a JVC!

ck
post #3 of 149 Old 09-10-2018, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1388
Until these new projectors get into the hands of some trusted reviewers it will be hard to know the contrast differences.

The real question is how large is your screen and how far back do you sit? Also what content do you watch in terms of percentages UHD/Blu, vs TV, vs gaming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 149 Old 09-10-2018, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:

Also, in regards to the N7 vs N5, it seems for $2k you get an auto iris and double the contrast (and a slight bump in lumens).
Unless I missed something new, my understanding so far is that the NX5 also has a dynamic iris with a 10x multiplier.

Quote:

I am upgrading from a VPLHW45ES and my price range is 4k-8k so those 3 fall in nicely. The only reason, other than price, I would choose the 790R over the N5 would be the superior contrast levels of the 790. Am I wrong here?

For years, forum member/posters have been convincing us that 1) high ANSI contrast doesn't matter as much as on/off contrast, 2) that regardless, ANSI is room-dependent, 3) that from normal viewing distances, eShift really is indistinguishable from native 4K, 4) that contrast is the Holy Grail of visual attributes, and 5) that the performance of the mid-level JVC model is (now was) on par with the "hand-selected parts" top eShift model. If all these things are true, then the X790/RS540 is a steal at the new price, and who knows, maybe actual dealer prices will be even less than that.

And I think that if you intend on viewing mostly 1080P non-HDR material, the X790 will be fantastic. If, on the other hand, you intend on watching UHD/4K/ HDR or if you want to future-proof and you have your mind set on JVC, then I would seriously consider one of the new machines.
post #5 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Same Boat

I'm planning on upgrading from a Sony 40ES. 9-10' from a 135" 16x9 AT screen. Totally blacked out room. I really want better black levels.. Ideally - the deep black would be so good I wouldn't need to worry about masking.. I went to demo a JVC 790 vs a Sony 385 (discontinued, now, I think) yesterday - but, I was disappointed there was so much ambient light in the demo room I couldn't tell any difference in black level.. I also couldn't tell any difference in sharpness.. I'm thinking I'd like to run Madvr.. I'm leaning towards the 790 at this point..

It's my understanding the RS1000 has one iris, while the RS2000/RS3000 have two..

This is kind of a side question about Madvr - I notice a lot of people use it with their JVC projectors - how's the 790's HDR? Is external processing totally required? or will it just make an improvement?
post #6 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 128
4K is still in the early stages for content. Most '4K' is still being sourced from 2K DIs. I would choose to save the money right now and go with a 1080/4K e-shift model. Let competition push the manufacturers further in the '4K' segment in the next few cycles.
Erod and dlm358 like this.

post #7 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

I am upgrading from a VPLHW45ES and my price range is 4k-8k so those 3 fall in nicely. The only reason, other than price, I would choose the 790R over the N5 would be the superior contrast levels of the 790. Am I wrong here? Would the auto tone mapping and native 4k offset the loss of contrast?

Also, in regards to the N7 vs N5, it seems for $2k you get an auto iris and double the contrast (and a slight bump in lumens). Where are we all at with the difference between these 2? Worth it?

I just thought that a lot of other people would be in the same boat as me and would love to have some input from the great minds on this forum.
Your post is very informative
post #8 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excellent questions
Quote:

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked: 870
I'm inclined to agree with what Aztar said - I've compared eshift projectors with Sony native 4K and unless the image is static it's very hard to tell the difference with movie content, and that's with a split screen comparison (A/B even less likely). contrast and black levels have always been the more noticeable differentiators when doing split screen comparisons, especially in 'blind' tests.

Some say they don't miss the higher on/off when going to the likes of the JVC 4500 but perhaps that's to do with the brighter image and the eye behaving differently - like bias lighting in some respect. Not sure why unless the pj excels elsewhere to make the lack of contrast less of a con over the pros that outweigh it.

One thing that bugs me with the eshift JVCs is the added image noise and micro flicker so I'd have to see if it's still present on the new 4K N range, though not everybody notices that. Eshift 5 in the 790 is said to have reduced it though, but it's still there to some degree.

Another way to look at things is the new N range are just that - new, so may have some bugs etc and a fixed/better/updated version may come out next year - JVCs have done that a lot recently.

So if you want to save some money, I'd be inclined to getthe newly priced 790 with a Panasonic 820 and it's new tone mapping functionality should get you pretty close to the N7 IMHO in that respect, and you'll have more contrast. Though as always, try and get a demo of the two, preferably calibrated in a split screen so you can decide directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #10 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Unless I missed something new, my understanding so far is that the NX5 also has a dynamic iris with a 10x multiplier.

For years, forum member/posters have been convincing us that 1) high ANSI contrast doesn't matter as much as on/off contrast, 2) that regardless, ANSI is room-dependent, 3) that from normal viewing distances, eShift really is indistinguishable from native 4K, 4) that contrast is the Holy Grail of visual attributes, and 5) that the performance of the mid-level JVC model is (now was) on par with the "hand-selected parts" top eShift model. If all these things are true, then the X790/RS540 is a steal at the new price, and who knows, maybe actual dealer prices will be even less than that.

And I think that if you intend on viewing mostly 1080P non-HDR material, the X790 will be fantastic. If, on the other hand, you intend on watching UHD/4K/ HDR or if you want to future-proof and you have your mind set on JVC, then I would seriously consider one of the new machines.
I am going to be watching A lot of UHD movies, and playing a lot of console games (so I will not really have to worry about true 4K 60 FPS for a few years). I went with the 790 for a good price and I will just have my fingers crossed that JVC's auto tone mapping first generation has a bug that gives everyone who has it a devastating disease. I have no problem upgrading projectors in 3 years...different story if I put down almost double the price
post #11 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
I'm inclined to agree with what Aztar said - I've compared eshift projectors with Sony native 4K and unless the image is static it's very hard to tell the difference with movie content, and that's with a split screen comparison (A/B even less likely). contrast and black levels have always been the more noticeable differentiators when doing split screen comparisons, especially in 'blind' tests.

Some say they don't miss the higher on/off when going to the likes of the JVC 4500 but perhaps that's to do with the brighter image and the eye behaving differently - like bias lighting in some respect. Not sure why unless the pj excels elsewhere to make the lack of contrast less of a con over the pros that outweigh it.

One thing that bugs me with the eshift JVCs is the added image noise and micro flicker so I'd have to see if it's still present on the new 4K N range, though not everybody notices that. Eshift 5 in the 790 is said to have reduced it though, but it's still there to some degree.

Another way to look at things is the new N range are just that - new, so may have some bugs etc and a fixed/better/updated version may come out next year - JVCs have done that a lot recently.

So if you want to save some money, I'd be inclined to getthe newly priced 790 with a Panasonic 820 and it's new tone mapping functionality should get you pretty close to the N7 IMHO in that respect, and you'll have more contrast. Though as always, try and get a demo of the two, preferably calibrated in a split screen so you can decide directly.
Yeah I chose the 790. It will be on my ceiling in 2 weeks. I got a good price on it and I think it will be such a step up from my Sony 45ES that I won't miss the benefit of going to the NX5/7
post #12 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Yeah I chose the 790. It will be on my ceiling in 2 weeks. I got a good price on it and I think it will be such a step up from my Sony 45ES that I won't miss the benefit of going to the NX5/7
You can't go wrong coming from a 45 - it's a big step up, and I don't think an N7 will be worth the extra for the extra performance it may bring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #13 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Though as always, try and get a demo of the two, preferably calibrated in a split screen so you can decide directly.
This is the hardest part. Where can I demo projectors? Best Buy only had a Sony set up last time I was there.

Anybody own JVCs in the Pacific Northwest??

Last edited by bochoss; 09-11-2018 at 06:03 PM.
post #14 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudexxi View Post
I'm planning on upgrading from a Sony 40ES. 9-10' from a 135" 16x9 AT screen. Totally blacked out room. I really want better black levels.. Ideally - the deep black would be so good I wouldn't need to worry about masking.. I went to demo a JVC 790 vs a Sony 385 (discontinued, now, I think) yesterday - but, I was disappointed there was so much ambient light in the demo room I couldn't tell any difference in black level.. I also couldn't tell any difference in sharpness.. I'm thinking I'd like to run Madvr.. I'm leaning towards the 790 at this point..

It's my understanding the RS1000 has one iris, while the RS2000/RS3000 have two..

This is kind of a side question about Madvr - I notice a lot of people use it with their JVC projectors - how's the 790's HDR? Is external processing totally required? or will it just make an improvement?
JVC's blacks are pretty good such that you may not need masking. I own a Sony 675ES, upgraded from a 275ES, and my RS640 just destroys the Sony in blacks. I won't dare watch something like "the expanse" on the Sony.

Any of the 4 JVC projectors should just destroy your 40ES in blacks. I have an RS640 (basically similar to RS540/790) and was watching something last night that had super long fade to blacks. Twice I assumed the projector had crashed and shut off as the screen got so dark I coudlnt see anything. The space scene in interstellar at 53:30 is almost 3D with bright stars and deep blacks. On the sony even the 675ES, that scene is greyish.

The 790 should have the best contrast/blacks of them all. The native HDR curve in the 790 sucks and is way too dark but when you use MadVR to upscale and HDR->SDR tonemap, it becomes completely irrelevant. I'm sure the MadVR solution will be better than anything the newer models provide anyway. Plus MadVR upscaling is really something to behold.

You can also load curves from Javs on the 790 and have much better HDR out of the projector without using MadVR (although, even Javs now uses MadVR instead of his curves so that's still the best solution). If you play games you'll for sure notice the benefits of 4K resolution. The eshift in the 790 wont add the level of detail you'll get from native 4K. The Rs1000 won't have the black levels your 790 would have. The RS2000 is probably a good compromise but at double the cost of the 790.

I have an RS640. I will not consider dropping it in favor of an RS1000. I would consider doing so for an RS2000 but I'd lose 1/2 the contrast. Need to hear some real reviews and comparisons.

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.

Last edited by markmon1; 09-11-2018 at 06:17 PM.
post #15 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
This worries me too. I easily see the rainbows of my DLP, so if spending thousands still gives micro-flicker, I'm going to lose it.
MentatYP likes this.
post #16 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Another way to save some $$ might be to wait for some of the coming great deals when people sell off used RS640/RS540 to upgrade over the next 2 months.
MentatYP and Bytehoven like this.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #17 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
JVC's blacks are pretty good such that you may not need masking. I own a Sony 675ES, upgraded from a 275ES, and my RS640 just destroys the Sony in blacks. I won't dare watch something like "the expanse" on the Sony.

Any of the 4 JVC projectors should just destroy your 40ES in blacks. I have an RS640 (basically similar to RS540/790) and was watching something last night that had super long fade to blacks. Twice I assumed the projector had crashed and shut off as the screen got so dark I coudlnt see anything. The space scene in interstellar at 53:30 is almost 3D with bright stars and deep blacks. On the sony even the 675ES, that scene is greyish.

The 790 should have the best contrast/blacks of them all. The native HDR curve in the 790 sucks and is way too dark but when you use MadVR to upscale and HDR->SDR tonemap, it becomes completely irrelevant. I'm sure the MadVR solution will be better than anything the newer models provide anyway. Plus MadVR upscaling is really something to behold.

You can also load curves from Javs on the 790 and have much better HDR out of the projector without using MadVR (although, even Javs now uses MadVR instead of his curves so that's still the best solution). If you play games you'll for sure notice. The eshift in the 790 wont add the level of detail you'll get from native 4K. The Rs1000 won't have the black levels your 790 would have. The RS2000 is probably a good compromise but at double the cost of the 790.

I have an RS640. I will not consider dropping it in favor of an RS1000. I would consider doing so for an RS2000 but I'd lose 1/2 the contrast. Need to hear some real reviews and comparisons.
This was a GREAT post...MADVR seems pretty daunting to get up and running in KODI for some reason. Is it pretty easy? I am good at front-end stuff like that once I get into it...YEARS of dealing with MAME and arcade/console emulators.
post #18 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This was a GREAT post...MADVR seems pretty daunting to get up and running in KODI for some reason. Is it pretty easy? I am good at front-end stuff like that once I get into it...YEARS of dealing with MAME and arcade/console emulators.
To use MadVR with Kodi, you need to set Kodi to use an external player. I guess most use DSPlayer since it's free and co-developed with kodi. I use zoom player. You set up the player to use MadVR as a renderer then you configure MadVR using it's configuration GUI.

The settings to use in MadVR will change a ton between now and when you get the projector because this is going through daily changes and improvements for the HDR-->SDR tonemapping feature. It probably will be stabilized by the time you get a projector and you can use someone's tutorial settings. If you want to test it now, you could grab the test version and try to read through the development thread for MadVR tone mapping for projectors, but that thread is a bit daunting since the options change daily.

post #19 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochoss View Post
This worries me too. I easily see the rainbows of my DLP, so if spending thousands still gives micro-flicker, I'm going to lose it.
I see DLP rainbows. I get headaches with 3D glasses. I get headaches looking at any CRT monitor. The RS500 eshift use to be ok for me in small doses of maybe 90min at a time. My RS640 I can't see any flicker and I can watch e-shift for hours at a time with no issues.
MentatYP and bochoss like this.

post #20 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
To use MadVR with Kodi, you need to set Kodi to use an external player. I guess most use DSPlayer since it's free and co-developed with kodi. I use zoom player. You set up the player to use MadVR as a renderer then you configure MadVR using it's configuration GUI.

The settings to use in MadVR will change a ton between now and when you get the projector because this is going through daily changes and improvements for the HDR-->SDR tonemapping feature. It probably will be stabilized by the time you get a projector and you can use someone's tutorial settings. If you want to test it now, you could grab the test version and try to read through the development thread for MadVR tone mapping for projectors, but that thread is a bit daunting since the options change daily.
So as far as "out of the box" goes...would you recommend using standard HDR for HDR UHD content, then assuming it's too dark, manually switching to THX/Cinema? I know I will do some heavy tweaking once i get 150 hours or so on the projector but on a macro scale, even right out of the box, i should still see a massive upgrade from my 45ES right?

I know us enthusiasts get extremely wrapped up in the little things but I just like reassurance that the night I set this thing up and throw Planet Earth 2 in, I am going to be happy...then after that I can spiral out of control with config files and whatnot
post #21 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I see DLP rainbows. I get headaches with 3D glasses. I get headaches looking at any CRT monitor. The RS500 eshift use to be ok for me in small doses of maybe 90min at a time. My RS640 I can't see any flicker and I can watch e-shift for hours at a time with no issues.
Good to hear. What's your assessment of the e-shift "noise"?

Last edited by bochoss; 09-11-2018 at 07:38 PM.
post #22 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
contrast is the Holy Grail of visual attributes
This is highly dependent on content. For many films this is possibly true, but for sports or movies with a relatively high APL, other factors--such as color accuracy and perceived sharpness--will be more important.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #23 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So as far as "out of the box" goes...would you recommend using standard HDR for HDR UHD content, then assuming it's too dark, manually switching to THX/Cinema? I know I will do some heavy tweaking once i get 150 hours or so on the projector but on a macro scale, even right out of the box, i should still see a massive upgrade from my 45ES right?

I know us enthusiasts get extremely wrapped up in the little things but I just like reassurance that the night I set this thing up and throw Planet Earth 2 in, I am going to be happy...then after that I can spiral out of control with config files and whatnot
It's hard to say how you will feel about HDR out of the box. It's certainly not useless. To me, the HDR profiles were all just way too dark. Same holds true for my Sony 285ES and Sony 675ES. I think the custom curves are really a night and day difference. They're loaded with free software, a PC, and a network cable to the projector. There are tutorials on this here on AVS you could read them and download everything now. My guess is that if you know what you're doing, you can load those curves in about 10 minutes and call it good. Then from there you could set up and use MadVR for a much improved boost.

If you want the ultimate test of 4K content, try this:
I think its way more impressive than planet earth.
MentatYP likes this.

post #24 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I think there are a lot of people struggling with this same decision right now.

I'm coming from a Panny AE7000U in my garage and am building a new light-controlled room so any of these would be a big step up but I think I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and get the N7. I do a lot of console gaming and want to get into the 4k content available there and I'd like to have the built-in tone mapping for all sources rather only what I can run through MadVR or a UB820. I'm also worried about ending up with the eShift buzz that some owners report if I don't go with a native 4k model. Being a mid-tier JVC I'm sure the contrast will blow me away even if it's not the best model they have produced in that regard.
post #25 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
I think there are a lot of people struggling with this same decision right now.

I'm coming from a Panny AE7000U in my garage and am building a new light-controlled room so any of these would be a big step up but I think I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and get the N7. I do a lot of console gaming and want to get into the 4k content available there and I'd like to have the built-in tone mapping for all sources rather only what I can run through MadVR or a UB820. I'm also worried about ending up with the eShift buzz that some owners report if I don't go with a native 4k model. Being a mid-tier JVC I'm sure the contrast will blow me away even if it's not the best model they have produced in that regard.
I have a similar concern in regards to HDR gaming, but I think most games coming now with HDR have pretty flexible nit adjustments, so the auto tone mapping isn't really necessary.
post #26 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's hard to say how you will feel about HDR out of the box. It's certainly not useless. To me, the HDR profiles were all just way too dark. Same holds true for my Sony 285ES and Sony 675ES. I think the custom curves are really a night and day difference. They're loaded with free software, a PC, and a network cable to the projector. There are tutorials on this here on AVS you could read them and download everything now. My guess is that if you know what you're doing, you can load those curves in about 10 minutes and call it good. Then from there you could set up and use MadVR for a much improved boost.

If you want the ultimate test of 4K content, try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1La4QzGeaaQ I think its way more impressive than planet earth.
Thanks again for more info. I was more referring to I'm looking forward to the upgrade in general from my 45es to the 540. Even with HDR off. It's easy to get caught up in trying to get the best possible image and I LOVE diving deep into the ****.

I was just looking to be reassured that even me throwing in a 1080p Blu-ray or a 4k with HDR off will still be better than what I'm rocking now due to contrast levels and the eshift

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #27 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoySauceWDF View Post
I have a similar concern in regards to HDR gaming, but I think most games coming now with HDR have pretty flexible nit adjustments, so the auto tone mapping isn't really necessary.
For gaming it's not the HDR tone mapping that's so important. It's the actual 4K. Games are way more 4K noticeable than movies. I consider 4K video content a marginal upgrade and on some stuff, you cant tell much difference between eshift and 4k. On games, its actually a really big upgrade. 4K content benefits in the small fine details of the image. Unlike video content, games are rendered with everything on screen being in focus and far away objects really benefit from the details of 4K. Video content is filmed with cameras and the focus is usually on a large object with the background being softer and a bit out of focus. You cannot benefit from 4K in that.
mutiger, mattztt and catonic like this.

post #28 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Another possible advantage to the new models - Though there's no spec published yet their cavernous chassis and huge weight gain suggests they may have less fan noise as there could be more substantial heat sinks and larger fans blowing more air volume at a lower velocity. At 4,000+ feet I will be running in high altitude mode and will have a bit of extra fan noise to deal with regardless of the model I get so this could be another factor for me.
post #29 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again for more info. I was more referring to I'm looking forward to the upgrade in general from my 45es to the 540. Even with HDR off. It's easy to get caught up in trying to get the best possible image and I LOVE diving deep into the ****.

I was just looking to be reassured that even me throwing in a 1080p Blu-ray or a 4k with HDR off will still be better than what I'm rocking now due to contrast levels and the eshift

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Wow just popping in a Blu-ray or watching tv that rs540 is going to be a bigger upgrade from that Sony than the 540 to rs2000 I think. If you have a light controlled room and pop on an episode of the expanse or something you’ll be floored.
post #30 of 149 Old 09-11-2018, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
For gaming it's not the HDR tone mapping that's so important. It's the actual 4K. Games are way more 4K noticeable than movies. I consider 4K video content a marginal upgrade and on some stuff, you cant tell much difference between eshift and 4k. On games, its actually a really big upgrade. 4K content benefits in the small fine details of the image. Unlike video content, games are rendered with everything on screen being in focus and far away objects really benefit from the details of 4K. Video content is filmed with cameras and the focus is usually on a large object with the background being softer and a bit out of focus. You cannot benefit from 4K in that.
Agreed. However in my case, I'll be going from an HW40ES, so the resolution upgrade is still there (plus an upgrade on everything else), and I'm still rocking a gtx 1070 for the forseeable future, so pushing games at 4K is still a bit out of reach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP