Forum Jump: 
 30345Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10141 of 10298 Old 01-11-2019, 08:08 PM
Asphalt Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chaska, Mn
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver700 View Post
After reading the initial reports on the NX9 projectors, it looks like the 990 and 790 are still a better option? Just seeing if anyone that owns the 990/790 are happy with it. I tried reading the earlier post and members like @Javs were having issues with their projector. Was wondering if that was ever cleared up by JVC. Some complained about a bar across the bottom of the screen, that it is not as sharp as the previous projectors...ect.. Couldn't read through all the previous post so just seeing if owners were still happy with the 790/990.

I wouldn't write off the new JVC's yet. That being said, as the owner of a new 790/540 I couldn't be more pleased. I'm not sure how the input lag compares, but I game upstairs not downstairs so I can't comment on that area. For the value I'm not sure the 790 can be beat. I did see you can get a free bulb with the purchase of one of the new line NX. That's a nice perk.
Jive Turkey, yoguy1 and JJ7 like this.

Anthem AVM 60 Sherbourn 7/2100 B&K Reference 200.7 Genesis 6.1 LCR's
Axiom Surrounds Triad Inceiling ATMOS 7.1.4
Panasonic 820 Oppo bdp83
Jvc X790R / 540U
Da-Lite Cinema Contour Highpower Gain Unknown!
dlm358 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10142 of 10298 Old 01-11-2019, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,166
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver700 View Post
After reading the initial reports on the NX9 projectors, it looks like the 990 and 790 are still a better option? Just seeing if anyone that owns the 990/790 are happy with it. I tried reading the earlier post and members like @Javs were having issues with their projector. Was wondering if that was ever cleared up by JVC. Some complained about a bar across the bottom of the screen, that it is not as sharp as the previous projectors...ect.. Couldn't read through all the previous post so just seeing if owners were still happy with the 790/990.
I have had a x990 for over a year and i am happy. I looked at specs on the new projectors and the nx9 was the only one that looked as a possible step up in several areas, but not all. I decided to had the x990 calibrated at 200 hours and performance is even better.

The 540/790 is a teriffic value. We should soon have some comparisons of the new models and previous models. But the 790 is a hard deal to beat.

Take your time and figure out what's right for you.
Jive Turkey likes this.

Last edited by Bytehoven; 01-11-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #10143 of 10298 Old 01-11-2019, 09:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver700 View Post
After reading the initial reports on the NX9 projectors, it looks like the 990 and 790 are still a better option? Just seeing if anyone that owns the 990/790 are happy with it. I tried reading the earlier post and members like @Javs were having issues with their projector. Was wondering if that was ever cleared up by JVC. Some complained about a bar across the bottom of the screen, that it is not as sharp as the previous projectors...ect.. Couldn't read through all the previous post so just seeing if owners were still happy with the 790/990.


I’m happy with my 990, but im selling it since im getting a rs3000. I almost kept it and cancelled my rs3000 because it looks that good. I’m sure it would look even better with a proper calibration. No projector is perfect though. I’m sure if i try to disect any pj down to the last pixel, i would throw myself off a bridge. Ymmv.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yoguy1 likes this.
Colozeus is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10144 of 10298 Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 PM
JJ7
Senior Member
 
JJ7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver700 View Post
After reading the initial reports on the NX9 projectors, it looks like the 990 and 790 are still a better option? Just seeing if anyone that owns the 990/790 are happy with it. I tried reading the earlier post and members like @Javs were having issues with their projector. Was wondering if that was ever cleared up by JVC. Some complained about a bar across the bottom of the screen, that it is not as sharp as the previous projectors...ect.. Couldn't read through all the previous post so just seeing if owners were still happy with the 790/990.
I have RS540 and it’s great
Jive Turkey, yoguy1 and Tom Riddle like this.
JJ7 is offline  
post #10145 of 10298 Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 PM
Member
 
txmetabaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 View Post
I have RS540 and it’s great
I have purchased a x990/640 a month ago. Excellent buy, great contrast and PQ,no lag issues.

All connected wireless HDMI. Dream come true
JJ7 and MartyMcFlyy like this.

4K NUC HTPC/ JVC x990R / Marantz 7704/PassLabs 250.5/Benchmark Dac2D/ Sonus Faber Olympica III / Emotiva XPA-5( center/ back)/ RSC200 center/ SVS PB12+ ... What else do I need?
txmetabaron is offline  
post #10146 of 10298 Old 01-11-2019, 10:54 PM
Senior Member
 
silver700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm358 View Post
I wouldn't write off the new JVC's yet. That being said, as the owner of a new 790/540 I couldn't be more pleased. I'm not sure how the input lag compares, but I game upstairs not downstairs so I can't comment on that area. For the value I'm not sure the 790 can be beat. I did see you can get a free bulb with the purchase of one of the new line NX. That's a nice perk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
I have had a x990 for over a year and i am happy. I looked at specs on the new projectors and the nx9 was the only one that looked as a possible step up in several areas, but not all. I decided to had the x990 calibrated at 200 hours and performance is even better.

The 540/790 is a teriffic value. We should soon have some comparisons of the new models and previous models. But the 790 is a hard deal to beat.

Take your time and figure out what's right for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colozeus View Post
I’m happy with my 990, but im selling it since im getting a rs3000. I almost kept it and cancelled my rs3000 because it looks that good. I’m sure it would look even better with a proper calibration. No projector is perfect though. I’m sure if i try to disect any pj down to the last pixel, i would throw myself off a bridge. Ymmv.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 View Post
I have RS540 and it’s great

Thanks guys for the help. I have been flip flopping between the Sony 885, 995, JVC NX9, but then wondered if I should pass on those expensive options and get a 990 or better yet a 790 and save the money for 2 more years when the lumens on laser goes up. BTW can't do the 4500, not enough room for such a big projector.
Bytehoven likes this.
silver700 is offline  
post #10147 of 10298 Old 01-11-2019, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 22,237
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5544 Post(s)
Liked: 5543
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver700 View Post
After reading the initial reports on the NX9 projectors, it looks like the 990 and 790 are still a better option? Just seeing if anyone that owns the 990/790 are happy with it. I tried reading the earlier post and members like @Javs were having issues with their projector. Was wondering if that was ever cleared up by JVC. Some complained about a bar across the bottom of the screen, that it is not as sharp as the previous projectors...ect.. Couldn't read through all the previous post so just seeing if owners were still happy with the 790/990.
We have to wait for the dust to settle, from what I saw only people OUTSIDE the USA received a few units. The latest firmware update helped, many, many things which just happened. One thing is for sure the 540U/790R is a SOLID unit. It will be rivaling "some" projectors for years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 View Post
I have RS540 and it’s great
Yes indeed !!
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #10148 of 10298 Old 01-11-2019, 11:46 PM
Senior Member
 
silver700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
We have to wait for the dust to settle, from what I saw only people OUTSIDE the USA received a few units. The latest firmware update helped, many, many things which just happened. One thing is for sure the 540U/790R is a SOLID unit. It will be rivaling "some" projectors for years to come.

Yes indeed !!



At first I was trying to stay away from lamp based projectors. I know JVC had an issue with lamps going out quickly or dimming dramatically after just a few hundred hours of use. Wonder if that is no longer the case.
silver700 is offline  
post #10149 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 03:47 AM
Member
 
pippo53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi, I have a 790 with 40 hours of operation. Suddenly vertical lines appeared covering the whole screen. After about 6-10 minutes from the start of a projection appear black vertical lines, which after about 10 minutes slowly they disappear to no longer appear. I tried to turn off the vpr, let it cool down and start again and the fault will be repeated systematically. I have done some tests, among which vary the type of input signal (HDR, SDR, 2k and 1080p) but does not change anything. I found that this flaw it is always present, whatever the input source (Sky, Blu Ray playerand Nvidia Shield TV).
I would like to insert a photo but I do not remember how it is done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181216_181004.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2509692   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181219_090338.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2509694   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181219_090444.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2509696  

Last edited by pippo53; 01-12-2019 at 07:10 AM.
pippo53 is offline  
post #10150 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
Quote:
Originally Posted by djseto View Post
I was looking at the settings on the first post in this thread and saw settings for the Oppo and Panasonic players. I plan to eventually upgrade, but right now I'm running a Sony X800. Does anyone have any recommended settings for the Sony into a 790R?
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
Yes.

SDR: THX mode, all enhancements off, low lamp, manual iris at whatever works for you.

HDR: stock HDR mode but with Javs' curves. V3 curves if you have a high lumen setup, 85 nits if you have a low lumen setup. High lamp.

My unit had a pretty severe gamma drop out of the box and I was unable to fix it using the controls in the UI and an i1Display Pro. Running Autocal with a Spyder 5 took care of it.
OMG I *hate* your settings. I think THX mode takes all umph out of the image and manual iris pretty much kills your contrast to about 10% of what it can be. To be honest, I prefer the *stock* cinema1 settings except changing high lamp to low lamp over what you're suggesting for SDR.
ScottAvery and coxy2416 like this.

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #10151 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 06:47 AM
Member
 
doctormyeyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippo53 View Post
Hi, I have a 790 with 40 hours of operation. Suddenly vertical lines appeared covering the whole screen. After about 6-10 minutes from the start of a projection appear black vertical lines, which after about 10 minutes slowly they disappear to no longer appear. I tried to turn off the vpr, let it cool down and start again and the fault will be repeated systematically. I have done some tests, among which vary the type of input signal (HDR, SDR, 2k and 1080p) but does not change anything. I found that this flaw it is always present, whatever the input source (Sky, Blu Ray playerand Nvidia Shield TV).
I would like to insert a photo but I do not remember how it is done
I had similar problems with a previous system, that turned out to be due to my HDMI cables. There were speckles and intermittent distortions, that came and went, resolved by upgrading the cables.
doctormyeyes is offline  
post #10152 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 06:52 AM
Member
 
MartyMcFlyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver700 View Post
After reading the initial reports on the NX9 projectors, it looks like the 990 and 790 are still a better option? Just seeing if anyone that owns the 990/790 are happy with it. I tried reading the earlier post and members like @Javs were having issues with their projector. Was wondering if that was ever cleared up by JVC. Some complained about a bar across the bottom of the screen, that it is not as sharp as the previous projectors...ect.. Couldn't read through all the previous post so just seeing if owners were still happy with the 790/990.
The picture X790/540 throws is stunning

I am amazed every time I watch something on my projector. I ve seen new projectors from Sony also new JVC Nx9 demo in action.
RS540/X790 is not that far away one may think

Video room: JVC X7900, Denon AVR-X4300H + PMA-1500AE; Oppo UDP-203, Adeo 113" Prestige LED, Apple TV4K;Harmony Elite + Alexa; PS4 Pro; Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Dali Z5,Z1, Phantom, Alteco, Sub E-12F; zone 2: LG OLED 65 C8, LG UP970, Xbox 1S.
Audio room: Pioneer SX-N30, PD-10, Jamo C97, Akai BT500 Net/NAS: QNAP 670 Pro i7, Cyberpower CP900LCD, Asus RT-AC87U merlin.

Last edited by MartyMcFlyy; 01-12-2019 at 07:05 AM.
MartyMcFlyy is offline  
post #10153 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 07:04 AM
Member
 
pippo53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormyeyes View Post
I had similar problems with a previous system, that turned out to be due to my HDMI cables. There were speckles and intermittent distortions, that came and went, resolved by upgrading the cables.
But he had not done it in the first 40 hours of operation. I have a fiber optic cable, used up to now with an X5000 without problems. I sent the VPR in assistance, let's see what it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181219_090338.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2509688   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181219_090444.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2509690  

Last edited by pippo53; 01-12-2019 at 07:09 AM.
pippo53 is offline  
post #10154 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,166
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippo53 View Post
Hi, I have a 790 with 40 hours of operation. Suddenly vertical lines appeared covering the whole screen. After about 6-10 minutes from the start of a projection appear black vertical lines, which after about 10 minutes slowly they disappear to no longer appear. I tried to turn off the vpr, let it cool down and start again and the fault will be repeated systematically. I have done some tests, among which vary the type of input signal (HDR, SDR, 2k and 1080p) but does not change anything. I found that this flaw it is always present, whatever the input source (Sky, Blu Ray playerand Nvidia Shield TV).
I would like to insert a photo but I do not remember how it is done
To do a photo, look down near the bottom of the edit screen there is manage attachments, go in there and upload the file, you will see it appear. You can copy the link and format in the main message area. Choose close window, to get back ti main message creation area. Post the image link in the tradional html [image] formatting and youre good to go.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #10155 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
willieconway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 833
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
OMG I *hate* your settings. I think THX mode takes all umph out of the image and manual iris pretty much kills your contrast to about 10% of what it can be. To be honest, I prefer the *stock* cinema1 settings except changing high lamp to low lamp over what you're suggesting for SDR.
Different objectives. I'm interested in accuracy, not "umph".
Tom Riddle and thrillcat like this.
willieconway is online now  
post #10156 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Member
 
pippo53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
To do a photo, look down near the bottom of the edit screen there is manage attachments, go in there and upload the file, you will see it appear. You can copy the link and format in the main message area. Choose close window, to get back ti main message creation area. Post the image link in the tradional html [image] formatting and youre good to go.
Thanks Bytehoven
pippo53 is offline  
post #10157 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 12:45 PM
Member
 
MartyMcFlyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Question to x790 owners. Is cinema filter on by default in HDR mode? Thought that it is disabled and by selecting bt2020 color the filter gets enabled adding better WCG coverage than standard HDR profile in HDR picture mode. Is this correct?
The reason I'm asking is that when I select BT2020 within HDR preset, there is no sound of the filter on. Also changing to THX is not triggering the filter in such case. On the other hand when HDR color is selected then the sound of the filter can be heard and switching to THX again gives the filter sound. So how this thing works in real life and when the filter is on and off? Thanks in advance.

Video room: JVC X7900, Denon AVR-X4300H + PMA-1500AE; Oppo UDP-203, Adeo 113" Prestige LED, Apple TV4K;Harmony Elite + Alexa; PS4 Pro; Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Dali Z5,Z1, Phantom, Alteco, Sub E-12F; zone 2: LG OLED 65 C8, LG UP970, Xbox 1S.
Audio room: Pioneer SX-N30, PD-10, Jamo C97, Akai BT500 Net/NAS: QNAP 670 Pro i7, Cyberpower CP900LCD, Asus RT-AC87U merlin.
MartyMcFlyy is offline  
post #10158 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 5,420
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3715 Post(s)
Liked: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFlyy View Post
Question to x790 owners. Is cinema filter on by default in HDR mode? Thought that it is disabled and by selecting bt2020 color the filter gets enabled adding better WCG coverage than standard HDR profile in HDR picture mode. Is this correct?
The reason I'm asking is that when I select BT2020 within HDR preset, there is no sound of the filter on. Also changing to THX is not triggering the filter in such case. On the other hand when HDR color is selected then the sound of the filter can be heard and switching to THX again gives the filter sound. So how this thing works in real life and when the filter is on and off? Thanks in advance.
The determining factor for the filter is the Colour Profile, not the Picture Mode.

THX and BT2020 use the P3 filter, HDR colour profile does not.
MartyMcFlyy likes this.
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #10159 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Member
 
MartyMcFlyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Thanks. I wonder then whats its role in THX / SDR.

Video room: JVC X7900, Denon AVR-X4300H + PMA-1500AE; Oppo UDP-203, Adeo 113" Prestige LED, Apple TV4K;Harmony Elite + Alexa; PS4 Pro; Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Dali Z5,Z1, Phantom, Alteco, Sub E-12F; zone 2: LG OLED 65 C8, LG UP970, Xbox 1S.
Audio room: Pioneer SX-N30, PD-10, Jamo C97, Akai BT500 Net/NAS: QNAP 670 Pro i7, Cyberpower CP900LCD, Asus RT-AC87U merlin.
MartyMcFlyy is offline  
post #10160 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 5,420
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3715 Post(s)
Liked: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFlyy View Post
Thanks. I wonder then whats its role in THX / SDR.
See this post
http://afterconvert.com/forum/24-di...l#post57375802

I also run SDR with colour filter in (using custom Rec709F Profile). The projector has ample lumens for SDR so the slight luminance hit from the filter is not an issue. With smaller screens you may need to do that to get down to 50 nits.
MartyMcFlyy likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-12-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #10161 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,166
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
See this post
http://afterconvert.com/forum/24-di...l#post57375802

I also run SDR with colour filter in (using custom Rec709F Profile). The projector has ample lumens for SDR so the slight luminance hit from the filter is not an issue. With smaller screens you may need to do that to get down to 50 nits.
Dom, how does the p3 filter help enhance 709? Does it make a wider color gamut? I thought using the filter with 709 looked over saturated, but if color calibrating rec709f, im curious.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #10162 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 04:10 PM
Senior Member
 
silver700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFlyy View Post
The picture X790/540 throws is stunning

I am amazed every time I watch something on my projector. I ve seen new projectors from Sony also new JVC Nx9 demo in action.
RS540/X790 is not that far away one may think

If you were to determine, from memory, what the biggest difference is, could you elaborate what those differences are. And I don't mean price!!
silver700 is offline  
post #10163 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 5,420
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3715 Post(s)
Liked: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Dom, how does the p3 filter help enhance 709? Does it make a wider color gamut? I thought using the filter with 709 looked over saturated, but if color calibrating rec709f, im curious.
The JVC e-shift projectors surprisingly don’t come the Rec 709 profile. The Standard colour profile is slightly over-saturated, but at least some projectors don’t quite hit Rec709 green in the x- direction without using the P3 filter (as mentioned by Bobof; I found that as well).

Using the filter with the proper profile should not cause oversaturation.
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #10164 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
jwhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baton Rouge, LA USA
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The JVC e-shift projectors surprisingly don’t come the Rec 709 profile. The Standard colour profile is slightly over-saturated, but at least some projectors don’t quite hit Rec709 green in the x- direction without using the P3 filter (as mentioned by Bobof; I found that as well).

Using the filter with the proper profile should not cause oversaturation.
Dom, are you using the filter with the BT.2020 color profile for HDR also?
jwhart is online now  
post #10165 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
Different objectives. I'm interested in accuracy, not "umph".
You cannot get black blacks with DI off. I'd not call that accurate. Those are definitely not settings I'd recommend to a new guy lol.

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #10166 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
willieconway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 833
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
You cannot get black blacks with DI off. I'd not call that accurate. Those are definitely not settings I'd recommend to a new guy lol.
I don't think you understand what accurate means. Black level has nothing to do with it.

But yes, I can get very good black levels with DI off. Also, with DI on I see a bit of pumping. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of users who have DI off for SDR content.

Oh, and how do you quantify "umph"? I'd like to see it in my home but since our particular units as well as our viewing environments are different, I need to know the targets.

Equipment and collection link:
Spoiler!
willieconway is online now  
post #10167 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
I don't think you understand what accurate means. Black level has nothing to do with it.

But yes, I can get very good black levels with DI off. Also, with DI on I see a bit of pumping. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of users who have DI off for SDR content.

Oh, and how do you quantify "umph"? I'd like to see it in my home but since our particular units as well as our viewing environments are different, I need to know the targets.
I dont consider the black levels with DI off "good". They're "OK". If your iris is working correctly there will be no pumping with DI on outside of something like ending credits. But the black level is like 10 times better. Forget the "oomph" part. Anyways, as I said, I hate your settings. I don't like the more washed out proprieties of THX settings, but that's fine if you want more of a film like experience.

I'd suggest all new guys try the dynamic iris first and not recommend anyone disables it without trying it. Typically it works very well and is part of the magic of the JVC.

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #10168 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
willieconway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 833
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I dont consider the black levels with DI off "good". They're "OK". If your iris is working correctly there will be no pumping with DI on outside of something like ending credits. But the black level is like 10 times better. Forget the "oomph" part. Anyways, as I said, I hate your settings. I don't like the more washed out proprieties of THX settings, but that's fine if you want more of a film like experience.

I'd suggest all new guys try the dynamic iris first and not recommend anyone disables it without trying it. Typically it works very well and is part of the magic of the JVC.
My black levels are great with DI off. You should maybe send your unit in for inspection if it's still under warranty. Something might be wrong with it.

I bought this projector for a film-like experience and it delivers in spades. You bought yours for...what? A distorted image with garish colors and a rainbow-colored greyscale ramp.

You should be less certain of yourself. It's not warranted.
willieconway is online now  
post #10169 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 05:00 PM
Senior Member
 
jwhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baton Rouge, LA USA
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I dont consider the black levels with DI off "good". They're "OK". If your iris is working correctly there will be no pumping with DI on outside of something like ending credits. But the black level is like 10 times better. Forget the "oomph" part. Anyways, as I said, I hate your settings. I don't like the more washed out proprieties of THX settings, but that's fine if you want more of a film like experience.

I'd suggest all new guys try the dynamic iris first and not recommend anyone disables it without trying it. Typically it works very well and is part of the magic of the JVC.
marc: how do your settings for SDR & HDR differ from what's listed on the 1st page of this thread? Just curious as a JVC newbie.
jwhart is online now  
post #10170 of 10298 Old 01-12-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
My black levels are great with DI off. You should maybe send your unit in for inspection if it's still under warranty. Something might be wrong with it.

I bought this projector for a film-like experience and it delivers in spades. You bought yours for...what? A distorted image with garish colors and a rainbow-colored greyscale ramp.

You should be less certain of yourself. It's not warranted.
I have no idea what those "certain of yourself" and "rainbow" cracks mean so I'm going to disregard them. They don't seem to have anything to do with the topic at hand - the RS640. Please stick to the projector and try to avoid personal attacks.

My unit is not defective. I've owned 6 JVCs and I know how they perform. The contrast on my RS640 is exceptional. However, with the DI disabled, the black levels are just "OK". Obviously you have a much higher tolerance for greys in your blacks than I do. I obviously have a higher tolerance for dynamic iris artifacts than you do. If you've disabled the DI due to pumping, your iris may be defective. There's a large number of us that thought the pumping was normal, and we have since identified that it's not. Unfortunately, I think a lot of that discussion happened in the RS3000 anticipation thread rather than here (where it belonged).

All I'm suggesting is that new owners do not just outright disable the DI because some guy on forum said it pumps. It usually does not and improves the contrast 10 fold. New owners should try the DI enabled and decide for themselves. A scene like Interstellar 53:30 star field only looks good with the DI enabled. With it disabled, it looks closer to a Sony

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , xbox one x



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off