• 1 Post By enricoclaudio

post #1 of 16 Old 01-04-2019, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Square Trade warranty worthwhile?

Not sure what forum to put this. Is purchasing a Square Trade warranty worthwhile? I've heard that they haven't been as easy to deal with in the event of a claim, since they were acquired by Allstate.

Considering purchasing the warranty from Costco, the TV was purchased from an authorized online retailer. My deadline is in a couple of weeks.

Appreciate any input, pro or con.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-04-2019, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have read a number of posts on AVSForums where people initially complained about Square Trade offering inferior TVs for replacement purposes but when the owners remained adamant that they will only accept TVs of same quality or better, Square Trade seemed to relent and give them the desired TV. I think we should have a dedicated thread for Square Trade warranty experiences.
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-05-2019, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I just bought the square trade from costco for my 900f. I too would like to hear of real world claim results.
PlanetAVS likes this.

Main: Sony 75XBR900F
Bedroom: Sony 65XBR900E
Desktop: Sony 49XBR900E

Retired Units: Vizio P65-F, Vizio M653DSV, Samsung UN40KU6290
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-06-2019, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Not sure what forum to put this. Is purchasing a Square Trade warranty worthwhile? I've heard that they haven't been as easy to deal with in the event of a claim, since they were acquired by Allstate.

Considering purchasing the warranty from Costco, the TV was purchased from an authorized online retailer. My deadline is in a couple of weeks.

Appreciate any input, pro or con.

Thanks.
I bought a flagship 65" LG set in 2014 with squaretrade warranty from Costco. 3 yrs later, one of the hdmi ports quit working and I called them and they sent a main board and a repairman who made the set worse. They agreed to replace the set and give a web site to look at sets they are offering for mine and ALL were absolute inferior and not even close. I did my homework on my set they will only agree to features on the original set manufacturer web site. I continued to deny and complain and finally, after SEVERAL months agreed to give me a refund of what the set cost me originally. It was a long, long experience and I was even speaking with other folks with OLED sets that were being offered inferior LED sets. It's a gamble!
srkmish and PlanetAVS like this.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-06-2019, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1000 View Post
I bought a flagship 65" LG set in 2014 with squaretrade warranty from Costco. 3 yrs later, one of the hdmi ports quit working and I called them and they sent a main board and a repairman who made the set worse. They agreed to replace the set and give a web site to look at sets they are offering for mine and ALL were absolute inferior and not even close. I did my homework on my set they will only agree to features on the original set manufacturer web site. I continued to deny and complain and finally, after SEVERAL months agreed to give me a refund of what the set cost me originally. It was a long, long experience and I was even speaking with other folks with OLED sets that were being offered inferior LED sets. It's a gamble!
Thanks for the feedback. Couple of questions, you purchased both the tv and the warranty from Costco correct? Did Costco assist you in your claims process with Square Trade or did you have to fight that battle on your own? Based on your timeline, it sounds like the claim was 2017ish, which is after Allstate acquired Square Trade correct?

I have mixed thoughts on what Square Trade should do. I can sort of understand their position of offering to replace the original features and capabilities as that is what one has purchased. And using your example, one would have received three years of use and get a brand new TV with the same "capabilities" aside from being offered a lower LCD version. Effectively getting a depreciated value on the TV, although one would be getting something brand new. But then again, is that worth the price of the warranty?

The alternatives that I can see is to offer the refund as you received, or a TV of the same $ value (which would be far superior in today's market), or to receive today's "flagship" LG OLED which would again be a huge upgrade.

What are everyone's thoughts?
post #6 of 16 Old 01-06-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Couple of questions, you purchased both the tv and the warranty from Costco correct? Did Costco assist you in your claims process with Square Trade or did you have to fight that battle on your own? Based on your timeline, it sounds like the claim was 2017ish, which is after Allstate acquired Square Trade correct?

I have mixed thoughts on what Square Trade should do. I can sort of understand their position of offering to replace the original features and capabilities as that is what one has purchased. And using your example, one would have received three years of use and get a brand new TV with the same "capabilities" aside from being offered a lower LCD version. Effectively getting a depreciated value on the TV, although one would be getting something brand new. But then again, is that worth the price of the warranty?

The alternatives that I can see is to offer the refund as you received, or a TV of the same $ value (which would be far superior in today's market), or to receive today's "flagship" LG OLED which would again be a huge upgrade.

What are everyone's thoughts?
Let me clarify a couple of things. I bought the TV elsewhere and purchased the warranty from Costco because they were much cheaper. My set I bought in 2014 was the flagship LED set. When I was having the ordeal with squaretrade, I was speaking with other forum members who had OLED sets and were being offered inferior LED sets, and I'm talking entry level. My ordeal with squaretrade was in 2017 and it was 2018 when they finally paid me. They kept offering me sets that they said were comparable and I kept insisting they were not and stated the differences. I researched squaretrade at that time and they were owned by allstate, I believe. I hope this helps. I bought a 65" OLED with the reimbursement check and NO, I did not buy a squaretrade warranty but did use my Costco credit card visa that extended the warranty an additional year. Also, I am scheduled for an in warranty panel replacement this coming Friday from LG because a defect in the screen of the OLED that has shown up. Like I said, it's a gamble!
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-06-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1000 View Post
Let me clarify a couple of things. I bought the TV elsewhere and purchased the warranty from Costco because they were much cheaper. My set I bought in 2014 was the flagship LED set. When I was having the ordeal with squaretrade, I was speaking with other forum members who had OLED sets and were being offered inferior LED sets, and I'm talking entry level. My ordeal with squaretrade was in 2017 and it was 2018 when they finally paid me. They kept offering me sets that they said were comparable and I kept insisting they were not and stated the differences. I researched squaretrade at that time and they were owned by allstate, I believe. I hope this helps. I bought a 65" OLED with the reimbursement check and NO, I did not buy a squaretrade warranty but did use my Costco credit card visa that extended the warranty an additional year. Also, I am scheduled for an in warranty panel replacement this coming Friday from LG because a defect in the screen of the OLED that has shown up. Like I said, it's a gamble!
Would you mind mentioning some of the TV models that they offered you? And your 2014 OLED model, which I assume was a 1080P OLED?

Btw, the Costco Visa extends your warranty by two years, not one . I use it for all my big ticket purchases that have a warranty, regardless of where I purchase it.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-06-2019, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It seems like after Allstate got them, the Sevice has gone down the hill significantly. I remember in the past like 4-5 years ago they were awesome. No hassle Sevice and full reimbursement for blu ray players, microwave etc. and I am talking $200-300 reimbursements. Although I did buy their warranty on every electronic item >$100 including my TVs. I never had to deal with tv repairs so not sure how good it was in those days. Sounds like we are better off with good credit cards that provide better protection. That way you save the initial warranty cost as well.
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-06-2019, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by isingh View Post
It seems like after Allstate got them, the Sevice has gone down the hill significantly. I remember in the past like 4-5 years ago they were awesome. No hassle Sevice and full reimbursement for blu ray players, microwave etc. and I am talking $200-300 reimbursements. Although I did buy their warranty on every electronic item >$100 including my TVs. I never had to deal with tv repairs so not sure how good it was in those days. Sounds like we are better off with good credit cards that provide better protection. That way you save the initial warranty cost as well.
Wow. Thank you so much! I did a bit of research on Credit Cards and it seems both Citi And Amex offer 24 month extended warranty on top of manufacturer's. That is so awesome. It seems Amex reviews are mixed but Citi's are better. The best is apparently Chase but it only offers 1 extra year of warranty. This eases my mind.
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-06-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Would you mind mentioning some of the TV models that they offered you? And your 2014 OLED model, which I assume was a 1080P OLED?

Btw, the Costco Visa extends your warranty by two years, not one . I use it for all my big ticket purchases that have a warranty, regardless of where I purchase it.

My problems started in 2017 with the original set. It was 2018 when squaretrade FINALLY settled with me. I bought a 2018 65" C7 that now has a screen defect. It is still under original LG one year warranty. Back in 2017 when the problems with the original set started, squaretrade offered entry level sets. Same size but lowest priced entry levels in Samsung and LG and I believe Vizio brands. It was ridiculous and I'm sure most folks probably settle for those entry level sets.
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-07-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Liked: 3621
With any extended warranty or original manufacture warranty they are going to offer you an inferior model at their first attend, it's up to you to accept or refuse the original offer. Two weeks ago I had the same experience with Sony as my 55X930E went bad showing flickering. After a few days dealing with Sony CS and sending videos and pictures of the issue, they called me to offer me a brand new TV as a replacement, in this case a 55X900F. I refused the offer as that model, even its a 2018 model, it is an inferior model. The lady said that that was the only alternative so I told her that I wanted a full refund or the same TV model. 30 mins later she called me back to let me know that they approved the full refund for what I paid, $1498. Then they send me instructions of what to do with the faulty X930E. Long story short, CEVA Logistics came last week to get the faulty TV back for disposal and Sony is mailing me a refund check in a few weeks. Meanwhile, I got a brand new Sony 65Z9D to replace the 55X930E and also got a Square Trade warranty from Costco just in case. My point is, if they offer you an inferior model, just refuse the offer and ask for a refund.
PlanetAVS likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #12 of 16 Old 01-07-2019, 01:16 PM

So did this happen during 1st year of manufacturers warranty or you had taken extended warranty from Sony ? And how much was the cost of that ? Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
With any extended warranty or original manufacture warranty they are going to offer you an inferior model at their first attend, it's up to you to accept or refuse the original offer. Two weeks ago I had the same experience with Sony as my 55X930E went bad showing flickering. After a few days dealing with Sony CS and sending videos and pictures of the issue, they called me to offer me a brand new TV as a replacement, in this case a 55X900F. I refused the offer as that model, even its a 2018 model, it is an inferior model. The lady said that that was the only alternative so I told her that I wanted a full refund or the same TV model. 30 mins later she called me back to let me know that they approved the full refund for what I paid, $1498. Then they send me instructions of what to do with the faulty X930E. Long story short, CEVA Logistics came last week to get the faulty TV back for disposal and Sony is mailing me a refund check in a few weeks. Meanwhile, I got a brand new Sony 65Z9D to replace the 55X930E and also got a Square Trade warranty from Costco just in case. My point is, if they offer you an inferior model, just refuse the offer and ask for a refund.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-07-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Liked: 3621
Quote:
So did this happen during 1st year of manufacturers warranty or you had taken extended warranty from Sony ? And how much was the cost of that ? Thanks for the info.
7 months after purchase so within Sony 1 year warranty. This is still happening as the faulty TV was picked up last week and they will process the refund check as soon they get the TV back.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #14 of 16 Old 01-07-2019, 03:51 PM

That’s interesting,I didnt know you could get money back for TV purchased from a retailer. I thought that was only possible if you had some type of extended warranty bought. Thanks for the details, I will keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Quote:
7 months after purchase so within Sony 1 year warranty. This is still happening as the faulty TV was picked up last week and they will process the refund check as soon they get the TV back.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-11-2019, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Is it possible to negotiate like just give me 65% of what I initially paid for instead of being offered crap panels or pulling the hair out to fight for that 100% of what I paid for?
post #16 of 16 Old 01-11-2019, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Funny to see this thread as I'm in the same boat. Bought a Q8FN on ebay (on its way at the moment) and was looking into getting SquareTrade within the 30-day deadline I have.

Everything else I've looked at online seems to make them seem pretty decent. Some people were saying that they deduct the cost of repairs from the original cost of the TV and keep a running total.

$2000 tv - $400 repair - another $200 repair = $1200 remaining on your warranty.

If a repair (or replacement) goes over that $1200, you'd pay the difference.

Again, this is only 2nd hand knowledge I've gathered, but more than a few posts on Reddit seemed to continue to back this up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!