Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-31-2018, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 816
3D Blu-Ray discs that will/will not play in 2D

1.) Is it true that some 3D Blu-Ray discs cannot be watched in 2D when the disc is played in a 3D-capable player that is connected to a newer 4K display that is not capable of displaying 3D images?

2.) If the answer to #1 is yes, then is there a master list of 3D Blu-Ray discs that can/cannot be watched in 2D in this scenario?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-31-2018, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Just to give some background, I currently own approx. 50 3D Blu-Ray discs and have a 3D-capable setup (player, AVR, and TV). However, I’m planning to replace the TV soon with a larger 4K HDR TV and 3D-capable models are no longer available (unless you want to buy a 2-year-old model and spend more than you would for a comparable/better current model).

My concern is whether or not I will be able to watch all of my 3D Blu-Ray titles (in 2D) on the new TV. Unfortunately, I no longer own the separate 2D disc that came in the combo pack for a number of these titles (I gave them away to friends/family) as every TV/laptop I currently own/have owned for the past 5 years is 3D-capable.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-02-2019, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
1.) Is it true that some 3D Blu-Ray discs cannot be watched in 2D when the disc is played in a 3D-capable player that is connected to a newer 4K display that is not capable of displaying 3D images?

2.) If the answer to #1 is yes, then is there a master list of 3D Blu-Ray discs that can/cannot be watched in 2D in this scenario?
1. In my admittedly limited experience, it depends on each title. There are 3D-only discs that will show an error, these usually come in 3D+2D packs with two discs. There are also 3D/2D combo discs like "I, Frankenstein" that will play in a 2D player (but might be mastered "brighter" to account for 3D glasses shading).

My experience is with 2D disc players though. You have a 3D player that is capable of reading 3D discs, so I wonder if it has a mode to read 3D discs but send normal 2D content to a 2D TV. I think you could quickly test this if you have a 2D TV in the house, or even an HDMI computer monitor.

2. I'm not aware of any such list. AFAIK, any title that you own or are considering owning, you can just look at the cover or back cover to see if it is a 2-disc combo pack or a single 3D/2D disc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-02-2019, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Other possible solutions:
  • Rip your 3D discs which will result in 2D files that you can play in many/most media players.
  • Use VUDU "Disc to Digital" to convert your titles to the cloud for $2 each.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content