• 1 Post By rural scribe

post #1 of 10 Old 11-28-2018, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 198
2D to 3D Bluray players

I've finally moved from 1080p (2007 - 2018) to 4K/3D with the purchase of what is probably the last TV with 4K and 3D still available new at retail (Sony Z9D).
I'm trying to grow my 3D movie collection but the movies I want to watch in 3D, I already own in the standard Bluray format.

I don't want to own multiple copies of the same movie. So I was thinking of buying a used Bluray player which does 2D to 3D conversion.
But I have a few questions.

1. Does 2d to 3d conversion actually work well enough to give that 3D effect?
2. Which player is considered the best for converting 2d material into 3D

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-28-2018, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post
I've finally moved from 1080p (2007 - 2018) to 4K/3D with the purchase of what is probably the last TV with 4K and 3D still available new at retail (Sony Z9D).
I'm trying to grow my 3D movie collection but the movies I want to watch in 3D, I already own in the standard Bluray format.

I don't want to own multiple copies of the same movie. So I was thinking of buying a used Bluray player which does 2D to 3D conversion.

Thanks.
You will not be satisfied with the results, particularly if you ever see one of them in native 3d for comparison. rent or replace the blurays. Region free disks from Amazon UK are probably the best value, though not in all cases. Blu-ray.com lists sale prices on 3d discs.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-28-2018, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

1) I've got an LG 2016 OLED that I can enable 2D to 3D conversion on for. I've watched a few films in it and can say the effect is subtle in Movie 3D mode. So you get a "realistic" sense of depth particularly on scenes that have strong hinting (corridors, edges going back into the horizon, etc). I could probably adjust it up to strengthen the effect I expect to make it stand out more. However, it has drawbacks where the conversion goes off so you can get depth holes where the conversion has gotten confused so it fails on depth mapping and gives unusual results (like "holes" in the screen depth in unusual areas). That's just the LG, other TV's and devices would react differently of course. Overall I'd watch the 2D->3D as a novelty for existing films but would be prepared to turn it off if it's not working out (ie too dark, material just isn't working out, etc).

Compared to a true 3D Blu-Ray disc there's no real comparison; if you like the movie you should buy it in 3D again and sell off the 2D copy you have already (quite a few 3D copies come with 2D discs anyhow). For some movies like 3D animated ones (How to Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda, Disney animated releases) don't even bother questioning it - just get the 3D disc (excluding Shrek 1-3, that was converted). For other movies it's worth checking CinemaBlend "To 3D or not to 3D" reviews of the movies to see if it makes sense buying it again in 3D, usually if it scores over 25+ it's worth buying. There's also Real or Fake 3D which lists the conversions vs natively shot movies as well, so if native 3D is your thing you know which discs to prioritise.

2) Can't really comment on this sorry. Others hopefully can provide their experiences/thoughts on it.
kevon27 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-29-2018, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCummins View Post
1) I've got an LG 2016 OLED that I can enable 2D to 3D conversion on for. I've watched a few films in it and can say the effect is subtle in Movie 3D mode. So you get a "realistic" sense of depth particularly on scenes that have strong hinting (corridors, edges going back into the horizon, etc). I could probably adjust it up to strengthen the effect I expect to make it stand out more. However, it has drawbacks where the conversion goes off so you can get depth holes where the conversion has gotten confused so it fails on depth mapping and gives unusual results (like "holes" in the screen depth in unusual areas). That's just the LG, other TV's and devices would react differently of course. Overall I'd watch the 2D->3D as a novelty for existing films but would be prepared to turn it off if it's not working out (ie too dark, the material just isn't working out, etc).

Compared to a true 3D Blu-Ray disc there's no real comparison; if you like the movie you should buy it in 3D again and sell off the 2D copy you have already (quite a few 3D copies come with 2D discs anyhow). For some movies like 3D animated ones (How to Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda, Disney animated releases) don't even bother questioning it - just get the 3D disc (excluding Shrek 1-3, that was converted). For other movies it's worth checking CinemaBlend "To 3D or not to 3D" reviews of the movies to see if it makes sense buying it again in 3D, usually if it scores over 25+ it's worth buying. There's also Real or Fake 3D which lists the conversions vs natively shot movies as well, so if native 3D is your thing you know which discs to prioritise.

2) Can't really comment on this sorry. Others hopefully can provide their experiences/thoughts on it.

PCummins - I really appreciate your input. I'll check out the site you mention.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-29-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
PCummins - I really appreciate your input. I'll check out the site you mention. Thanks again.
CinemaBlend is good as they review the movies as they come out as to whether it's worth watching in 3D which gives a good hint into whether it's worth picking up the 3D Blu-Ray, though people's personal opinions on the Blu-Ray itself are posted up here as well which are worth reading as everyone has their own personal preferences and opinions.

On Blu-Ray players looks like the Oppo UDP-203 would be a good choice (2D -> 3D conversion, 4K upscaling, etc) despite it going out of production it is still considered as one of the best available (along with the UDP-205). There's other players out there but you'd need to research carefully since the 2D -> 3D conversion is not a super high priority for most reviewers. If you are dead keen on 3D Blu-Rays you would definitely need one that can be made Blu-Ray region free (or at least play Region B) as more and more 3D Blu-Rays are released in UK/Europe/Australia only (Disney being one of the companies that are now only releasing 3D generally in UK/Australia now, and some 3D Blu-Rays for lesser known films are only released in France/Germany as well).
kevon27 likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-30-2018, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCummins View Post
CinemaBlend is good as they review the movies as they come out as to whether it's worth watching in 3D which gives a good hint into whether it's worth picking up the 3D Blu-Ray, though people's personal opinions on the Blu-Ray itself are posted up here as well which are worth reading as everyone has their own personal preferences and opinions.

On Blu-Ray players looks like the Oppo UDP-203 would be a good choice (2D -> 3D conversion, 4K upscaling, etc) despite it going out of production it is still considered as one of the best available (along with the UDP-205). There's other players out there but you'd need to research carefully since the 2D -> 3D conversion is not a super high priority for most reviewers. If you are dead keen on 3D Blu-Rays you would definitely need one that can be made Blu-Ray region free (or at least play Region B) as more and more 3D Blu-Rays are released in UK/Europe/Australia only (Disney being one of the companies that are now only releasing 3D generally in UK/Australia now, and some 3D Blu-Rays for lesser known films are only released in France/Germany as well).
I own a number of Oppo BDP -103Ds and an UDP-203 and as far as their 2D to 3D conversion capabilities go, my advice is as yours; buy the disc.
kevon27 likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-04-2018, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I had, in the past, tried 2D -> 3D conversions and the results were simply atrocious! Period! I always get the 3D disc of course.
kevon27 likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-06-2018, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Thanks.
I've got a Sony BDP-S5100, Optoma projector HD25e and LG 55EC9300, all of which will convert 2D to 3D and vice versa.

In most cases, a 3D blu ray will work better than 2D converted to 3D, but there are exceptions.

I bought a blu ray 3D, "My Bloody Valentine" which was anaglyphic rather than true 3D blu ray. The conversion was better than watching it with those old blue and red colored 3D glasses. Bad movie either way.

So stay away from anaglyphic 3D. It used to be the only game in town for 3D, but now it is to be avoided.

Also, I think 2D cartoons converted to 3D look pretty good. Not as good as 3D blu ray, but close enough to make me think twice about paying a lot of money for any 3D blu ray cartoon. I still buy 3D blu ray cartoons, but only if the cost is reasonable, about $5 or so for my money.

I bought a "Puss in Boots" 3D blu ray at a pawn shop on Monday, and it seemed like a better movie overall than I thought it was the first time I saw it in a theater. It was worth the $5 I paid for it.

Also check out this forum post from Deja Vu for another point of view on this. I bought the same software package he touts, but haven't tried it yet:

http://afterconvert.com/forum/196-3...expensive.html
kevon27 likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-07-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural scribe View Post
Also, I think 2D cartoons converted to 3D look pretty good. Not as good as 3D blu ray, but close enough to make me think twice about paying a lot of money for any 3D blu ray cartoon. I still buy 3D blu ray cartoons, but only if the cost is reasonable, about $5 or so for my money.

I bought a "Puss in Boots" 3D blu ray at a pawn shop on Monday, and it seemed like a better movie overall than I thought it was the first time I saw it in a theater. It was worth the $5 I paid for it.
To be honest I haven't actually tried much animated material (2D/3D rendered or otherwise) with the 2D to 3D conversion as I've always just got the 3D Blu-Ray instead. I did get Puss in Boots in 3D a while back and it was very good when I watched it in 3D last, the voice actors (and actresses) along with Henry Jackman scoring the music really make the film (up there with John Powell and How to Train Your Dragon). I'm just hoping HTTYD 3 doesn't skip a 3D release so I can complete the series in 3D.

I should probably try a few conversions to A/B test with the original 3D Blu-Ray to see how the LG compares overall, I think.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-11-2018, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

Thanks.
In my experience the guesswork on depth is so frequently wrong that it's extremely annoying and distracting. I'd much rather watch a very good 2D presentation. On-the-fly conversion is a quite a bit better with animated titles, but it's still too distracting for me.

Some people do like the added depth, even if the depth is wrong. Somehow they are not bothered by it. Even in that case, I'd say the 3D discs are still going to be better and I'd limit conversion to titles only available in 2D.

You might inadvertently already have a 3D movie to compare with. For example Prometheus extended edition came with 3D, and some titles like Frakenstein are a 2D/3D combo disc. Look through your collection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content