2. Guardians of the Galaxy 1&2
3. Life of Pi
4. Ghostbusters
5. Ant-Man
6. Polar Express
7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

My DVD Collection
HOME THEATER:
JVC X950RB Projector, 106", Oppo-203 (Region Free) Samsung 51" 3D Plasma, Marantz sr7010 in 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 05-27-2018, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by invadergir View Post
Can’t believe everyone forgot Madagascar 3: Most Wanted

For me personally

1. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 1&2
3. Life of Pi
4. Ghostbusters
5. Ant-Man
6. Polar Express
7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Indeed, Madagascar 3 is one of all-time favorites in 3D and by itself as a movie. Frozen 3D is really good. So, is Need for Speed 3D. Thought Alice through the Looking Glass is really good and so is the most recent Pirates of the Carribean. Yogi Bear 3D is really good as well. Some of the Honk Kong Martial arts 3D movies boast better 3D than the Hollywood counterparts. GI Joe sequel in 3D - the mountain-side action sequence is my demo 3D sequence.
post #33 of 45 Old 06-12-2018, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I have bought the following to check out 3D, as they were all shot with 3D in mind...
  • Life of Pi
  • Hugo
  • Gravity (awaiting delivery)
  • Goodbye to Language
I have only watched Life of Pi so far, as I received these discs yesterday. I originally watched Life of Pi when it was out in cinema in 2d... The 3D disc looks amazing on my home projector... Very much an upgrade from the 2D disc and from 2d in cinema...

I have already seen Gravity in 2D on my projector and can't wait to see it in 3D... It really cries out for it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 Old 07-30-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoxx View Post
Someone new clearly took took over the 3D department at Marvel, Thor Ragnarok had a bloody fantastic conversion, some of the best 3D I've seen in years. Otherwise, Pirates of The Carribean: Salazars Revenge is a bit of a hidden gem.
I guess they took away from the audio budget since Disney movies sound like turd compared to other studios. Visually, they look amazing!!;

Proud Member of "Bass-a-holic Anonymous" - Dual Bottle of Choice: SVS PC-13 Ultra + SVS PC-12 NSD. Drink of Choice: Ready Player One Delorean Race
DaLite 0.9 Grey 110" screen. Epson 3000 1080P Projection. 7.2 SVS and Energy Reference + Parasound THX Ultra Amplification system.
post #35 of 45 Old 07-30-2018, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Are you kidding me!!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seilerbird View Post
I have and I much prefer the 3D versions. I have over 100 3D titles and the vast majority are great and demo worthy. But at the top of the heap are the four Lichtmond DVDs. The audio is 5.1, 7.1 or 9.1. and the 3D is amazing. The computer graphics are state of the art and the songs are fantastic. Watching one of those is like going to an attraction at Disney World (and I live in Orlando and have been to DW 100s of times). They are expensive but worth every penny. My favorite is Days of Eternity but only by a very small margin.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=lichtmond

Chasing Rainbows is my favorite song. There are parts that feel like you are flying.

http://youtu.be/iqK-WHOrhA8
This is so true!

I just watched days of eternity last night, and it was "other worldly". The audio and video were so immersive I became lost in it.
I had just calibrated my 7.1 surround system with my new v3601 subwoofer and "Lichtmond 3" in a pitch black room in 3D was the perfect test (new reference).
What a fantastic audio and video surreal escape this was.
I woke up early this morning to search for 1&2 and any related blu-ray disks to buy.

Fantastic advice Seilerbird, thank you so much for taking time to reply and mentioning this.
dfa973 likes this.

Vizio m801d ISF calibrated
Anthem MRX 510
Oppo 103d
Paradigm studio 20 v5, cc 490, monitor surround 3 v7
PSA V3601
post #36 of 45 Old 07-30-2018, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
This is so true!

I just watched days of eternity last night, and it was "other worldly". The audio and video were so immersive I became lost in it.
I had just calibrated my 7.1 surround system with my new v3601 subwoofer and "Lichtmond 3" in a pitch black room in 3D was the perfect test (new reference).
What a fantastic audio and video surreal escape this was.
I woke up early this morning to search for 1&2 and any related blu-ray disks to buy.

Fantastic advice Seilerbird, thank you so much for taking time to reply and mentioning this.
You are welcome Dutch boy. There are currently a total of four Lichmond DVDs available and all of them are fantastic.
dfa973 likes this.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #37 of 45 Old 07-31-2018, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seilerbird View Post
You are welcome Dutch boy. There are currently a total of four Lichmond DVDs available and all of them are fantastic.
I am going to have to start my own thread that is a bit more involved with the entire 3D environment and its future and how to plan/deal with it for those of us that do not want to leave it behind...but for now, as it relates to the original post (and Sb's recommendation):

5 seconds into Lichtmond 3 Days of Eternity I felt completely vindicated for every single dollar I have spent on my A/V system. I thought to myself, this alone was "worth it all"
Pitch black room, ISF calibrated 80inch TV and a 7.1 ARC (room correction) calibrated audio system and I felt fantastic. I really felt like "I got this one right". It was such a enjoyable escape.

I have to ask, Seilerbird...Where is the best place to buy them and are there different releases that affect content?
I have a Oppo 103d (that I pray never breaks) so I don't need US region encoding.
I have found them on eBay, Amazon.de, and Amazon.com.
Also,
Is the only 3D visual material on the "Bonus 3D Trailer" section or am I missing some menu options?
I gave the menu and good going over, but sometimes gems are hidden.
dfa973 likes this.

Vizio m801d ISF calibrated
Anthem MRX 510
Oppo 103d
Paradigm studio 20 v5, cc 490, monitor surround 3 v7
PSA V3601
post #38 of 45 Old 07-31-2018, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
I am going to have to start my own thread that is a bit more involved with the entire 3D environment and its future and how to plan/deal with it for those of us that do not want to leave it behind...but for now, as it relates to the original post (and Sb's recommendation):

5 seconds into Lichtmond 3 Days of Eternity I felt completely vindicated for every single dollar I have spent on my A/V system. I thought to myself, this alone was "worth it all"
Pitch black room, ISF calibrated 80inch TV and a 7.1 ARC (room correction) calibrated audio system and I felt fantastic. I really felt like "I got this one right". It was such a enjoyable escape.
I feel the same way every time I play a Lichtmond disc. The best way I can describe it is that it turns my home theater into a Disney attraction. I live 25 miles from Disney World and go there frequently since year passes are so cheap to Florida residents. I have been there hundreds of times and my favorite rides are always the 3D rides like Philharmagic, Muppet 3D Vision and It's Tough To Be A Bug. As soon as I realized how important the 3D rides were to me I knew I had to buy a 3D TV.

Quote:
I have to ask, Seilerbird...Where is the best place to buy them and are there different releases that affect content?
I find the best selection and prices at Amazon UK. I don't know about the content.

Quote:
Is the only 3D visual material on the "Bonus 3D Trailer" section or am I missing some menu options?
I gave the menu and good going over, but sometimes gems are hidden.
I don't know, I haven't explored the menus.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #39 of 45 Old 11-30-2018, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So I finished my theatre build in june, and I just have an Epson 3700 1080P and 3D projector. I need active RF 3D glasses for it. I'm looking at getting some glasses for Christmas and now looking around at 3D titles. I'd stopped buying discs years ago since I rarely rewatch movies and have been for years relying on redbox and streaming services.

As far as 3D I'm realizing that noone offers those for rent so if I want to enjoy any 3D I have to buy the discs it seems. Am I missing a good rental source for discs?

Where are you guys getting getting yours?

I'm thinking if I have to buy, I may get Gravity, and a couple animated movies for the kids, and maybe a couple others to start off with.

Also, I wear glasses and need 3D glasses that fit over my glasses. I was looking at the XPAND glasses on amazon, and some reviews said they fit fine. Those had good reviews and somewhere I read that those allowed you to counter 3D if someone watching was nauseated by the effect.

Any suggestions for glasses and movie access other than just ordering from Amazon?

My surround system is a Denon X4300 7.1.4 so full Atmos and 3D sounds really fun. My theatre chairs will be here in a couple weeks. I cant wait.
post #40 of 45 Old 11-30-2018, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[QUOTE=RxpSGR;56134086]Sometimes the choice comes down to choosing between 3D with 5.1 sound to 4K with Dolby Atmos.

What do Atmos speakers play when an Atmos track is not available?
post #41 of 45 Old 11-30-2018, 07:54 AM

I believe when I feed a 5.1 signal, then my Denon receiver tries to do a little interpolation to the Atmos channels, but I think what really happens is any ambient sounds like rain or similar just comes through all the Atmos speakers.

We watched Christmas Chronicals last night on Netflix which streams Atmos and I could really tell each Atmos channel was doing its specific task. It was a pretty fun movie and my 3 year old was entranced.
post #42 of 45 Old 11-30-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizzlebop View Post
I believe when I feed a 5.1 signal, then my Denon receiver tries to do a little interpolation to the Atmos channels, but I think what really happens is any ambient sounds like rain or similar just comes through all the Atmos speakers.

We watched Christmas Chronicals last night on Netflix which streams Atmos and I could really tell each Atmos channel was doing its specific task. It was a pretty fun movie and my 3 year old was entranced.
Thanks, I have an 7.1.2 receiver coming today and I'm trying to get clued in on what to listen for.
post #43 of 45 Old 12-11-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones8103 View Post
Thanks, I have an 7.1.2 receiver coming today and I'm trying to get clued in on what to listen for.

Hey, how is that receiver working for you? A couple weeks ago I realized that netflix was only sending 5.1 unless I upgraded my service level. I did that and I can tell a big difference in the ATMOS supported audio tracks they offer.
post #44 of 45 Old 12-11-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Hey, how is that receiver working for you? A couple weeks ago I realized that netflix was only sending 5.1 unless I upgraded my service level. I did that and I can tell a big difference in the ATMOS supported audio tracks they offer.
I've setup the Yamaha Rx-A780 with Klipsch Atmos speakers, but I haven't watched a 4K movie as of yet. There were a few conversations about movies with good Atmos tracks on this board a while back; I'll have to go back and see what they were. Here lately it's been all flat blu ray with an occasional 3D thrown in. Thanks for reminding me.
post #45 of 45 Old 01-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Where are you guys getting getting yours?
heres a place ive seen a lot of people mention http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com...ory-s/1820.htm
Actionable Mango likes this.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content