11Likes

post #1 of 55 Old 10-28-2017, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets 3D Blu-ray

Movie comments, 3D comments, Blu-ray availability, etc. ...

In theaters July 17, 2017.

Is ‘Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets’ In 3D Worth It? The Movie’s Visuals Are Out Of This World
http://www.bustle.com/p/is-valerian...is-world-70720

There are 2355 visual effects. About 600 more than Rogue One.

http://www.valerianmovie.com.au/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeri...ousand_Planets

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2239822/

Zavvi is showing the Limited Edition Steelbook as region free (edit: it is region B) though they are showing the regular 3D disk as region B/2. amazon.co.uk is doing the usual everything is region B.

Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets 3D (Includes 2D Version) Blu-ray
http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/valeri.../11525075.html
Region: B

Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets (Lenticular) [Blu-ray 3D + UV]
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Valerian-Th.../dp/B0749VN78X
amazon.co.uk/Valerian-Thousand-Planets-Lenticular-Blu-ray/dp/B0749VN78X
Region: B (Confirmed)

Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets 3D (Includes 2D Version) (UV Copy) - Limited Edition Steelbook Blu-ray
http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/valeri.../11534599.html

Valerian and The City Of A Thousand Planets [Steelbook Blu-ray 4K + 3D + Blu-ray + UV]
amazon.co.uk/Valerian-Thousand-Steelbook-exclusive-Amazon-co-uk/dp/B074WBLVH8

Edit: (works with North American players):
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) (Blu-ray) (2D + 3D) (Hong Kong Version)
http://www.yesasia.com/us/valerian-...0-en/info.html
Publisher: Intercontinental Video (HK)
Region: A

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) (Blu-ray) (2D + 3D) (Taiwan Version)
Publisher: Taisheng Multimedia Corporation

VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS (3D+2D) (2-DISC) (Hong Kong Version)
http://www.play-asia.com/valerian-a...disc/13/70bpgx
Publisher: Intercontinental Video Limited
Region: A (Confirmed)

[Blu-Ray]Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2disc: 3D + 2D) Limited Edition
http://kimchidvd.com/en/21755/v.kimchi?ref=21735
Release Date: March 27, 2018
Region: All (Disc Box is Labelled Region A - Confirmed Plays on Region A Player)

BLU-RAY / VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS 2D+3D DOUBLE PACK (1,000 NUMBERED)
http://novamnm.com/product/blu-ray-v...e-pack-1/1217/
Release date: March 30, 2018
Region Code: ALL

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2D + 3D Blu-ray) (2-Disc) (Character Card + Postcard Numbering Collection Limited Edition) (Korea Version)
Release Date: April 6, 2018

Edit: (works with all players):
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (International Version)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valerian-an...w/152742694813
Studio: Lionsgate / Reliance HVG
Region: Free
Warning: Censored dialog.

This can be a useful site as it lists confirmed region free Blu-rays. Valerian is not up yet but then it still is pre-order.

http://regionfreemovies.com/studio/Lionsgate

Lionsgate Studio Blu-ray Predictability Details:
20% confirmed region free.
26% confirmed region locked.

Blu-ray and DVD Region Codes Explained
http://www.regionfreedvd.net/region-codes.html
Note: Region Free = All Regions = Region A, B, and C

AVS Forum uses VigLink, a monetization service that alters the URLs and often they break or redirect. Opt-out then refresh this page.
http://www.viglink.com/opt-out/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valerian-and-The-City-of-a-Thousand-Planets-New.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	2395714  

Last edited by dew42; 09-08-2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Adding Region A and Region Free options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 11-11-2017, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

There is an "international version" being sold as all-regions on ebay though the Zavvi steelbook is cheaper.

I bought the lenticular version from amazon.co.uk. I'll report back on the region coding when I get it. Amazon says December 5 - 9.
post #3 of 55 Old 11-12-2017, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dew42 View Post
There is an "international version" being sold as all-regions on ebay though the Zavvi steelbook is cheaper.

I bought the lenticular version from amazon.co.uk. I'll report back on the region coding when I get it. Amazon says December 5 - 9.
Thank for the Info.
Just placed my order from Amz.UK too and this one may come with Dolby Atmos.
inspector and RxpSGR like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 11-20-2017, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) (Blu-ray) (2D + 3D) (Hong Kong Version)

Blu-ray Region Code: A
Release Date: 2017-11-21
Sound Information: 7.1, Dolby TrueHD
Language: English
Subtitles: English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese
Publisher: Intercontinental Video (HK)

post #5 of 55 Old 11-22-2017, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
This movie looks great in 3D -- I just wish the story was as good as the visuals.
post #6 of 55 Old 11-27-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
This movie looks great in 3D -- I just wish the story was as good as the visuals.

I read a review that claimed this had the best 3D since Avatar! Would you agree?
post #7 of 55 Old 11-28-2017, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 152
UK 3D Version "All Region"?

Does anybody know if the UK 3D version is "All Region". It is listed as Region B on Amazon but they haven't been good about providing the correct region information for other titles so I'm wondering if it is the same for Valerian.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #8 of 55 Old 11-28-2017, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
Does anybody know if the UK 3D version is "All Region". It is listed as Region B on Amazon but they haven't been good about providing the correct region information for other titles so I'm wondering if it is the same for Valerian.
My pre-order shipped two days ago but will take about two weeks to arrive. I'll report back here ASAP and maybe others will too.
post #9 of 55 Old 11-29-2017, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
I believe on the blu-ray.com forums, they've reported that UK versions are indeed Region B. The consensus seems to be that you should order the Hong Kong version to get region free. I've personally ordered from Play-Asia as that seemed to be the best price. Would have loved if there was a 3D/4K option available region free somewhere, but I'll have to settle for this.

Agreed though that Amazon is not be trusted for their region information.
post #10 of 55 Old 12-08-2017, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
just received my 3d blu ray steelbook from zavvi, and it is NOT region free, despite still being listed as such on their site. is region 2/b. very disappointed

can anyone recommend a good region 2/b or region-free 3d blu-ray player? this seems to be more and more common, so i figure its worth picking one up...
dew42 likes this.
post #11 of 55 Old 12-08-2017, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio_babylon View Post
just received my 3d blu ray steelbook from zavvi, and it is NOT region free, despite still being listed as such on their site. is region 2/b. very disappointed

can anyone recommend a good region 2/b or region-free 3d blu-ray player? this seems to be more and more common, so i figure its worth picking one up...
If you happen to be eyeing an Oppo, checkout bluraychip.dk.
post #12 of 55 Old 12-08-2017, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

Devices are sold that allow the owner to change the region code. Either go to the AVS Blu ray player forum or the internet and search for a region code changer for your player.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
post #13 of 55 Old 12-09-2017, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Devices are sold that allow the owner to change the region code. Either go to the AVS Blu ray player forum or the internet and search for a region code changer for your player.
oh, wow... i had no idea that was possible! ill look into that, thanks! can you change them an unlimited number of times? although when i think about it, i still have my old blu-ray player in the closet, that i replaced with a 4k player this year... i can just change that one and leave it changed... thanks again for the tip!
post #14 of 55 Old 12-09-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
oh, wow... i had no idea that was possible! ill look into that, thanks! can you change them an unlimited number of times? although when i think about it, i still have my old blu-ray player in the closet, that i replaced with a 4k player this year... i can just change that one and leave it changed... thanks again for the tip!
Change the region as often as needed. I have a device for my Oppo UDP-203.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
post #15 of 55 Old 12-11-2017, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Change the region as often as needed. I have a device for my Oppo UDP-203.

many blu ray players are almost or totally impossible to hack into region free. the procedure as recommended for my Samsung required a controller not with my player. think about a region free player if you really want region free.
post #16 of 55 Old 12-14-2017, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I was burned by Zavvi too.
post #17 of 55 Old 12-14-2017, 06:14 PM

My order from Amz. U.K. finally arrived today after it was dispatched on Nov. 27th and more than 2 weeks.
Going to watch it tomorrow night.
Quick check the info on the back cover, it's confirmed as Region B locked.
Both 3D and the 2D has the Dolby TrueHD Atmos track.
Aspect ratio : 2.40:1
post #18 of 55 Old 12-14-2017, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dew42 View Post
If you happen to be eyeing an Oppo, checkout bluraychip.dk.
Thanks for the advice. I wish there was a more seamless way than remembering an awkward ritual of button pushing, but I've ordered one nonetheless. With 3D getting phased out in USA but continuing in Europe this device is my only hope in continuing to watch 3d.
post #19 of 55 Old 12-16-2017, 05:34 PM

O.K. I watched it last night and glad I waited till this 3D was released.
I'm not going into the detail of this movie as it was nailed to the wall by critics the day was shown in the theatres and the blue ray 2D and 4K were well reviewed by Ralph Potts. He gave high scores to the Video and sound presentation but I found the Dolby Atmos is just so-so.As I always expect science fiction and action like this movie should have a sound track like movie "Transformer"or "Ghost in the Shell ".

This movie is meant to be watched in 3D to be appreciated, with great depth, brilliant colour and objects as if floating on the screen though there's not any near face elements.The opening chapter is very impressive with sight and sound.

My only dissatisfaction for this suppose to be fun movie ---
I was wondering why a high calibre director like Luc Besson will use these 2 dull actors ( Dane / Cara ) to lead this big budget movie.
post #20 of 55 Old 12-18-2017, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1863 Post(s)
Liked: 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by kis3dhc View Post
O.K. I watched it last night and glad I waited till this 3D was released.
I'm not going into the detail of this movie as it was nailed to the wall by critics the day was shown in the theatres and the blue ray 2D and 4K were well reviewed by Ralph Potts. He gave high scores to the Video and sound presentation but I found the Dolby Atmos is just so-so.As I always expect science fiction and action like this movie should have a sound track like movie "Transformer"or "Ghost in the Shell ".

This movie is meant to be watched in 3D to be appreciated, with great depth, brilliant colour and objects as if floating on the screen though there's not any near face elements.The opening chapter is very impressive with sight and sound.

My only dissatisfaction for this suppose to be fun movie ---
I was wondering why a high calibre director like Luc Besson will use these 2 dull actors ( Dane / Cara ) to lead this big budget movie.
I got the Indian version from eBay. The 3D version only has DD 5.1. I actually watched he regular blu ray that came with it and the sound was horrible. It seemed to be recorded way loud as we usually listen at -12 and had to listen to this at -20. It also sounded like there was a lot of clipping in action scenes and modulation when people talked. It was really horrible and distracting. I put the 3D version in and it sounded much better although only DD 5.1.

I may have to look for the Hong Kong version. This was the first time I had an issue with an Indian version. I have bought 5-7 others.
post #21 of 55 Old 12-19-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I got the Indian version from eBay. The 3D version only has DD 5.1. I actually watched he regular blu ray that came with it and the sound was horrible. It seemed to be recorded way loud as we usually listen at -12 and had to listen to this at -20. It also sounded like there was a lot of clipping in action scenes and modulation when people talked. It was really horrible and distracting. I put the 3D version in and it sounded much better although only DD 5.1.

I may have to look for the Hong Kong version. This was the first time I had an issue with an Indian version. I have bought 5-7 others.
That's one site I always exercise due diligence prior placing the order as most of the time the price looks to good to be true or have doubts about the products. You know what to do.
There's a great debate on the Forum front page regarding the 3D future play at home and lots of info about respecting 3D as a niche product just like Dolby Atmos. There're a couple of informative post e.g #64 and 71 .
post #22 of 55 Old 12-19-2017, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kis3dhc View Post
That's one site I always exercise due diligence prior placing the order as most of the time the price looks to good to be true or have doubts about the products. You know what to do.
There's a great debate on the Forum front page regarding the 3D future play at home and lots of info about respecting 3D as a niche product just like Dolby Atmos. There're a couple of informative post e.g #64 and 71 .
The price wasn’t good though, it I was $40. I have purchased a number of 3D titles from this person all with good results.
post #23 of 55 Old 12-19-2017, 07:27 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 469
I finally watched from Amazon Video HD stream.

Great picture on my trusty Epson 8350 lighting an 8' wide DaLite Hipower streamed over wired Ethernet played on my Sony X800 via Amazon app.

The film was as expected- typical Luc Besson a la Fifth Element look, with Lucy style action elements and Besson cinematography cues.

Casting issues aside, it was a good scifi action flick with some very high concept ideas- the alternate dimension marketplace was excellent, though many casual, non scifi/tech viewers probably got confused and may have thought it was a VR marketplace. It was not, it existed in the same space in another dimension near ours. The 'transdimensional" headgear/goggles enabled the "shoppers" in our dimension to see it. Complicated execution but cool and too cerebral for normal American audiences

The adventure on the station was good but could have been better (exposing the history, size, scope and design details of the station more), but the imagination that went into the scenery, sets, style, tech and alien designs put Star Wars to shame.

Love that neo-punk French scifi vibe (Euro discoteche-esque costumes and headgear included) that is Besson's signature.
dew42 likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 12-20-2017 at 10:09 AM.
post #24 of 55 Old 12-19-2017, 08:35 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 469
IOW, you either "get" Besson films or your don't- supported by the Amazon ratings- a peak of 41% 5 stars, next peak at 20% 1 star

I think Fifth Element and more recently, Lucy, got the same reactions from average viewers- like it or hate it.

It's a keeper for scifi/Besson fans.

I plan to get the 4K and 3D discs sometime. Like Fifth Element, I suspect both will be reference demo discs for at least visual quality and FX among the HT crowd.

Heck, 5 stars just for the Space Oddity backed intro

Last edited by Rgb; 12-20-2017 at 05:17 PM.
post #25 of 55 Old 12-21-2017, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I really like this movie. The 3D visuals are incredible. I imported the Hong Kong version and it's great. Region a and no forced subtitles and alien speech has English subtitles. Annoyed with no USA version, but well worth the import.
EVERRET likes this.
post #26 of 55 Old 12-28-2017, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Jeezy creezy. This might be the best 3D disc of all time. (I got the U.K. steelbook) Though part of me is wondering if the depth setting on my Zappiti player works more effectively on some titles than others. I cranked it up the other day so that the subtitles in Avatar matched the depth of on-screen imagery. Didn't really feel like it did much for the 3d itself (though I've only watched a few scenes from Avatar and all of Lego Batman). But Valerian had the type of extreme 3D (in terms of depth--didn't notice much pop-out) that I've only seen in IMAX films. The depth was almost eye-straining at times. Combined with the imagery (and edibles) it was an incredible viewing experience.

The atmos mix was also top-notch. The logo panning from behind us was maybe the coolest use of Atmos I've heard.

Unfortunately my disc seems to not want to rip past about the 90% mark. We made it almost all the way through the movie last night and then it just cut off.

The movie itself was better than I expected. Not nearly as silly as the trailers made it out to be. The sci-fi and visual elements were absolutely outstanding. The plot wasn't "convoluted" as I thought it'd be. However, the acting was surprisingly clunky. Kind of like George Lucas in the prequels, Besson doesn't seem to care much more the actors' and their delivery of their lines here. And the whole relationship of the two leads was just bizarre. I heard ppl saying that they looked too much like siblings. It's not just that--they ACT like they're siblings.

Last edited by javanpohl; 12-28-2017 at 05:38 PM.
post #27 of 55 Old 12-28-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndoe4454 View Post
I really like this movie. The 3D visuals are incredible. I imported the Hong Kong version and it's great. Region a and no forced subtitles and alien speech has English subtitles. Annoyed with no USA version, but well worth the import.
Did the Hong Kong 3D have lossless audio? Mine from India only has DD 5.1 on 3D
post #28 of 55 Old 12-28-2017, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes, it has Dolby 7.1truehd. it's really great. Throughout the movie I was just wowed by the 3d. I liked this better than the last Jedi. It's too bad it bombed at the box office.

Last edited by Johndoe4454; 12-28-2017 at 09:06 PM.
post #29 of 55 Old 01-08-2018, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

I have to say this was NOT my experience at all with the India 3D release. The 3D disc has Dolby Digital 5.1 and the 2D disc has DTS 5.1. Both sound nearly identical, IMO. The volume level was normal here. I heard ZERO clipping or modulation. It sounded perfectly fine. The surround use was great, in fact (loads of surround material). I did think the mouth movements seemed slightly out of time (maybe 0.2-0.3 seconds) with the soundtrack sometimes (2D didn't have that issue at all, which is ironic since it's a lot easier to correct with KODI than the 3D Blu-Ray playing directly here).

The ONE thing I do NOT recommend this disc for is the (apparent) CENSORING that occurs at 1 hour 20 minutes and like 2 seconds. The guy at the peep show says something about time to take away (blank sound cut out) and then it shows Valerian's gun being taken away. I actually thought there was an error or a fingerprint on the disc or something. But when I tried the 2D disc there was actually a censoring "BEEP" sound at that exact point covering up whatever word was said. I'm guessing it was a "foul" euphemism or something, but censoring of a commercial Blu-Ray in English??? (I tried Hindi; there was no beep there). This isn't television for god's sake!

Come to think of it, I don't recall any real foul language in the entire movie. I mean is this standard practice for Indian Blu-Ray movie releases, to censor out foul language or something??? I assume the Asian release doesn't have something goofy like that, does it???

Otherwise, I thought the plot appeared awfully convoluted until the end when it was clear there was NOTHING convoluted about it at all and it was mostly a giant chase movie through space and space station. Still, the 3D had to be about the BEST I've ever seen and that's without a lot of pop-outs. The depth and clarity of this 3D was almost breathtaking! The depth seemed to go to infinity in many scenes. If anything, the 2D looked a lot faker (especially the opening planet and alien race which looked exactly like a video game). 3D seemed to help there somehow, although it still looked a bit fake even so.

The guy playing Valerian didn't strike me as a very good actor and oddly sounded a lot like Keanu Reeves! I guess if you sound like a wooden actor, you act like one too.

The girl seemed a bit better acting-wise, but maybe it was just because I found her oddly attractive looking despite the giant dark brown eyebrows that didn't match her bleach blonde hair (like a short blonde Brook Shields or something). Both seemed a bit young for the secret agent-like parts somehow (almost like teenagers compared to other people in the movie).

The ending left me wondering a few things about what the aliens just did (create a holodeck on the ship? I didn't see a planet except an apparent simulation and they needed 20Megaton "pearls" for THAT?) But the movie is definitely worth watching for the 3D. It was not nearly as entertaining in 2D, IMO, which makes it all the more a shame that it wasn't released in the US in 3D.
post #30 of 55 Old 01-08-2018, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
I have to say this was NOT my experience at all with the India 3D release. The 3D disc has Dolby Digital 5.1 and the 2D disc has DTS 5.1. Both sound nearly identical, IMO. The volume level was normal here. I heard ZERO clipping or modulation. It sounded perfectly fine. The surround use was great, in fact (loads of surround material). I did think the mouth movements seemed slightly out of time (maybe 0.2-0.3 seconds) with the soundtrack sometimes (2D didn't have that issue at all, which is ironic since it's a lot easier to correct with KODI than the 3D Blu-Ray playing directly here).

The ONE thing I do NOT recommend this disc for is the (apparent) CENSORING that occurs at 1 hour 20 minutes and like 2 seconds. The guy at the peep show says something about time to take away (blank sound cut out) and then it shows Valerian's gun being taken away. I actually thought there was an error or a fingerprint on the disc or something. But when I tried the 2D disc there was actually a censoring "BEEP" sound at that exact point covering up whatever word was said. I'm guessing it was a "foul" euphemism or something, but censoring of a commercial Blu-Ray in English??? (I tried Hindi; there was no beep there). This isn't television for god's sake!

Come to think of it, I don't recall any real foul language in the entire movie. I mean is this standard practice for Indian Blu-Ray movie releases, to censor out foul language or something??? I assume the Asian release doesn't have something goofy like that, does it???

Otherwise, I thought the plot appeared awfully convoluted until the end when it was clear there was NOTHING convoluted about it at all and it was mostly a giant chase movie through space and space station. Still, the 3D had to be about the BEST I've ever seen and that's without a lot of pop-outs. The depth and clarity of this 3D was almost breathtaking! The depth seemed to go to infinity in many scenes. If anything, the 2D looked a lot faker (especially the opening planet and alien race which looked exactly like a video game). 3D seemed to help there somehow, although it still looked a bit fake even so.

The guy playing Valerian didn't strike me as a very good actor and oddly sounded a lot like Keanu Reeves! I guess if you sound like a wooden actor, you act like one too.

The girl seemed a bit better acting-wise, but maybe it was just because I found her oddly attractive looking despite the giant dark brown eyebrows that didn't match her bleach blonde hair (like a short blonde Brook Shields or something). Both seemed a bit young for the secret agent-like parts somehow (almost like teenagers compared to other people in the movie).

The ending left me wondering a few things about what the aliens just did (create a holodeck on the ship? I didn't see a planet except an apparent simulation and they needed 20Megaton "pearls" for THAT?) But the movie is definitely worth watching for the 3D. It was not nearly as entertaining in 2D, IMO, which makes it all the more a shame that it wasn't released in the US in 3D.
I ended up getting the UK 3D combo. Didn’t watch it yet, but the 3D disc has 7.1 DTS-MA.

The Indian disc I had was one of the worst sounding blu rays I ever watched. The DD 5.1 on the 3D disk was considerably lower in volume at the same master volume on my receiver.

I wonder if it was a defective disk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content