post #31 of 55 Old 01-08-2018, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I ended up getting the UK 3D combo. Didn’t watch it yet, but the 3D disc has 7.1 DTS-MA.

The Indian disc I had was one of the worst sounding blu rays I ever watched. The DD 5.1 on the 3D disk was considerably lower in volume at the same master volume on my receiver.

I wonder if it was a defective disk?
Ebay? It's hard to tell what you got, really. I was a little nervous ordering one myself, but I believe I got mine "used-like new" off Amazon from someone in Florida (listed at the time as only 1 left). It's definitely from Mumbai, India and has a 5.1 Hindi soundtrack on it as well as the English one.

The volume was set pretty much the same here for it and Terminator 2 3D. If anything, I think I thought it had too much bass at first, but it sounded pretty awesome overall (6.1 PSB speakers with a DefTech Powerfield PF-1500 15" sub flat to 20Hz in the real room measurements). The 2D rip for KODI also sounded really incredible in my upstairs system (Carver AL-III ribbon based with Klipsch surrounds).

Did yours have a censor blank and bleep in 3D/2D?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 01-08-2018, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1863 Post(s)
Liked: 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
Ebay? It's hard to tell what you got, really. I was a little nervous ordering one myself, but I believe I got mine "used-like new" off Amazon from someone in Florida (listed at the time as only 1 left). It's definitely from Mumbai, India and has a 5.1 Hindi soundtrack on it as well as the English one.

The volume was set pretty much the same here for it and Terminator 2 3D. If anything, I think I thought it had too much bass at first, but it sounded pretty awesome overall (6.1 PSB speakers with a DefTech Powerfield PF-1500 15" sub flat to 20Hz in the real room measurements). The 2D rip for KODI also sounded really incredible in my upstairs system (Carver AL-III ribbon based with Klipsch surrounds).

Did yours have a censor blank and bleep in 3D/2D?
I don’t recall the censored beep. I got it from a seller in Houston that imports Indian blu rays. I have bought a number of others from him with no issue.

I don’t have them any longer to test them out to look for the beep.

I played it on my system in my game room that has 3 JTR 215RT’s for LCR and 4 JTR S2 subs (flat to 6hz in room ) Processor is Onkyo 5509 pre pro.

Will try the new UK disk this week to see if there is a difference.
post #33 of 55 Old 02-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Bad Panda Shop ok to buy from

Hi ALL,

Is the Hong Kong online store Bad Panda Shop ok to buy from? They seem to have a good selection of 3D Blu Rays and they are either Region A (locked) or international. The prices aren't cheap but they include shipping charges.

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 55 Old 02-04-2018, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
Hi ALL,

Is the Hong Kong online store Bad Panda Shop ok to buy from? They seem to have a good selection of 3D Blu Rays and they are either Region A (locked) or international. The prices aren't cheap but they include shipping charges.

Gerry
I've never bought from them. Their price on the Hong Kong version of Valerian 3D is cheaper than yesasia though yesasia has a Taiwan version that is cheaper yet.

They seem to have an ebay presence with an impressive approval rating.

http://stores.ebay.com/Bad-Panda-Shop?_nkw=3d

Last edited by dew42; 02-04-2018 at 12:52 AM.
post #35 of 55 Old 02-04-2018, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew42 View Post
I've never bought from them. Their price on the Hong Kong version of Valerian 3D is cheaper than yesasia though yesasia has a Taiwan version that is cheaper yet.

They seem to have an ebay presence with an impressive approval rating.

http://stores.ebay.com/Bad-Panda-Shop?_nkw=3d
Some of the Asian versions do not have lossless audio on the 3D version if that matters to you.
post #36 of 55 Old 03-05-2018, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Ugh, I'm not happy. I bought Valerian 3D from an Ebay user in Sri Lanka and it's clearly a bootleg. Cover art is a badly printed inkjet copy. Shrinkwrap says "DVD9" on it. The media is BD-R with a printed label. Disc is not encrypted of course.

Can anyone verify something for me? This version I bought is in English, but there are no subtitles for when alien languages are being spoken. Is this normal and expected for the movie, or do "normal" discs have subtitles in those scenes?

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 03-05-2018 at 02:12 PM.
post #37 of 55 Old 03-05-2018, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Ugh, I'm not happy. I bought Valerian 3D from an Ebay user in Sri Lanka and it's clearly a bootleg. Cover art is a badly printed inkjet copy. Shrinkwrap says "DVD9" on it. The media is BD-R with a printed label. Disc is not encrypted of course.

Can anyone verify something for me? This version I bought is in English, but there are no subtitles for when alien languages are being spoken. Is this normal and expected for the movie, or do "normal" discs have subtitles in those scenes?
Is this the rahul-and-i-store guy? He has been reliable in the past when I ordered from him. If this is him, I'll remove him from my posts.

I'd open a case against the seller. A counterfeit item should be brought to eBay's attention. Escalate it to Paypal if needed. Paypal tends to side with the buyer.
post #38 of 55 Old 03-05-2018, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is this the rahul-and-i-store guy? He has been reliable in the past when I ordered from him. If this is him, I'll remove him from my posts.

I'd open a case against the seller. A counterfeit item should be brought to eBay's attention. Escalate it to Paypal if needed. Paypal tends to side with the buyer.
I bought from him and mine were legit
post #39 of 55 Old 03-05-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Is this the rahul-and-i-store guy?
No. Seller is "creativ-exportss" [sic]. At the time I purchased, he had all positive feedback. Now, after my purchase, I see many complaints about him selling pirated copies. So I guess he built up his feedback rating and then sold a crap ton of bootlegs all at once.

Do you have this movie? If so, can you tell me if the aliens are supposed to have English subtitles when they are speaking alien? This bootleg does not, but I don't know if that's normal and I'm not expected to know what they are saying, or if the bootleg is bad and I am missing English subtitles for the alien talk.
post #40 of 55 Old 03-05-2018, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
No. Seller is "creativ-exportss" [sic]. At the time I purchased, he had all positive feedback. Now, after my purchase, I see many complaints about him selling pirated copies. So I guess he built up his feedback rating and then sold a crap ton of bootlegs all at once.

Do you have this movie? If so, can you tell me if the aliens are supposed to have English subtitles when they are speaking alien? This bootleg does not, but I don't know if that's normal and I'm not expected to know what they are saying, or if the bootleg is bad and I am missing English subtitles for the alien talk.
I have a region B copy and, embarrassingly, I have not yet put the region free hardware in my Oppo.

I did find the following:

Quote:
I watched the actual disk and there are a lot of times where there just aren’t any subtitles. Where it’s plot critical (if you can call it a plot) the subs appear but a lot if the time nothing. Maybe it’s mastering errors, maybe it’s directors intent?
http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php?topic=19351.0
Actionable Mango likes this.
post #41 of 55 Old 03-06-2018, 10:43 AM

Well he gave me a full refund and stated that I do not need to return the disc.

Free or not, I don't find the disc to be usable though since there are no English subtitles for the alien speech. There is a good 10 minute stretch on the alien beach scene where I have little idea what anyone is saying except guessing from context.

The subtitles are Finnish, Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish. Interesting choices for a "Sri Lankan" import mailed from China. This disc was obviously pirated from Scandinavia.
post #42 of 55 Old 06-13-2018, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I bought the KimchiDVD 3D+2D Blu-ray and can confirm it plays fine on a North American Region A Player. The box seems to be labelled region A rather than free as shown on KimchiDVD's site. The box shows Dolby Atmos for both 3D and 2D. I don't have Dolby Atmos so I can't confirm Atmos is present.

There seems to be a 3D glitch in the menu but the movie is good. There are no forced subtitles. If you want to see the English translation for the Pearl people you have to turn on all English subtitles. There were only about two sentences that were not significantly relevant to the story.

The shipping package was impressive - well protected. Delivery time was reasonable.

http://kimchidvd.com/en/21755/v.kimchi?ref=21735

I also had a copy for someone else from Play-Asia and can confirm it plays fine on a North American Region A Player.

http://www.play-asia.com/valerian-a...disc/13/70bpgx

These are normal retail Blu-rays, not the bootleg stuff.
post #43 of 55 Old 09-04-2018, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Hi, I just wanted to chime in that last week I received my copy of Valerian 3D from Sri Lanka seller "rukshaweerasooriy-0" and it played without problem on my Oppo 203 (latest firmware updated prior to viewing film). I have a JVC RS600 projecting on a 130" diagonal/light controlled room.

I read reviews about the 3D version of this film and I have to agree that it's a reference copy worth owning. Luc Besson REALLY pays attention to detail. He has "The touch". V3D is the kind of movie that takes a viewer into another universe quite convincingly. From edge to edge of each frame -- details, details, details. He left nothing to chance. It's no wonder this film cost as much as it did to make (outside of advertising and related promotional expenses).

This may be (at least is has been for me) one of those films that grows on you; an acquired taste so-to-speak, because I too thought at first the casting felt a bit awkward but after a second, and then third viewing, I have come to appreciate the lead actors and how they were directed. Their characters acted they way they did because (according the narrative) they have a history that preceded what is unveiled during this film's story-line. So, their chemistry works for me. The fact that Dane HeHaan is not a lady killer with traditional leading man good looks yet plays that kind of a character seems now like a stroke of genius on Besson's part.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. . . . where I was in charge of the Disney subsidiaries, I had Besson cast/produce/write/direct all of the Star Wars films post IV-VI. He was the only one capable of resurrecting all that was left of that religion.
dew42 likes this.

Last edited by sjerseydad22; 09-04-2018 at 02:28 PM.
post #44 of 55 Old 09-04-2018, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 431
I just watched Valerian yesterday. The visuals are outstanding and 3D is good throughout, will watch this one again for sure.
dew42 likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.

Last edited by tomtastic; 09-04-2018 at 04:14 PM.
post #45 of 55 Old 09-06-2018, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Any consensus on the ideal version to buy for North American consumption? English. Region A/All.
post #46 of 55 Old 09-06-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Any consensus on the ideal version to buy for North American consumption? English. Region A/All.
The Indian version doesn't have 7.1 lossless audio, but the 3D picture is fine.

The Asian version (well at least one of them) does have lossless 7.1 and 3D. It "might" cost more and you have to make sure you get the right one.

The 4K (non-3D) US one has Dolby Atmos.

The US non-4K version is 2D only.

Take your pick.

Click THEATER (Updated: Jan-16-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room: 2018 55" QLED, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Sonic Holography Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Carver TFM-35x Amp (Woofers), Yamaha M-45 Class A/AB Amp (Ribbons), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube
post #47 of 55 Old 09-06-2018, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2713 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
Thumbs up

I bought the 4K/UHD/ATMOS Dolby Vision version for my 65" OLED,

But much preferred the 3D (UK import Steelbook from Zavvi) that also has ATMOS audio
Region 2, But I have the $99 region unlock mod on my Oppo 203.

...my post from Ralphs 4K/UHD review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

Looks WAY more impressive in 3D on my JVC on the 9 foot wide screen than 4K with Dolby Vision on the little 65" OLED

Just re-watched it again yesterday with a healthy bump of Bass EQ with my miniDSP!

Valerian is my 2nd all time Favorite 3D disc, just behind Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge
...also a Zavvi UK Steelbook import (aka Dead Men Tell No Tales in North America)

Best looking Steelbook in my Collection too

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #48 of 55 Old 10-10-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
The Indian version doesn't have 7.1 lossless audio, but the 3D picture is fine.

The Asian version (well at least one of them) does have lossless 7.1 and 3D. It "might" cost more and you have to make sure you get the right one.

The 4K (non-3D) US one has Dolby Atmos.

The US non-4K version is 2D only.

Take your pick.
Went ahead and watched this on Amazon Prime in 2d, and am glad I did, if only to save the money. I can see how this would probably be impressive in 3D, but the story is just unwatchable. Luc let me down. He was so worried about the look that he forgot to find actors who could, you know, act. I am sure there is a role where Dane's persona fits, but here it was like casting Keanu Reeves as a physicist.
post #49 of 55 Old 10-10-2018, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Went ahead and watched this on Amazon Prime in 2d, and am glad I did, if only to save the money. I can see how this would probably be impressive in 3D, but the story is just unwatchable. Luc let me down. He was so worried about the look that he forgot to find actors who could, you know, act. I am sure there is a role where Dane's persona fits, but here it was like casting Keanu Reeves as a physicist.
Yeah, I didn't like Dane at all. But I enjoyed watching Cara regardless of her acting. I think she's hot. The fact she dates girls too...even hotter for me. In fact, I think if the movie had Milla (or some other hot actress) and her both in it instead of that Dane dude, I would have been a lot happier even with a somewhat cheesy plot.

I didn't care for the CGI characters too much. Even at 2K they looked fake (3D helped a little there, but I can't imagine how fake it looks at 4K, too much like a computer game). I really think movies use TOO MUCH CGI these days. There's something to be said for real sets and even real prosthetics over pure CGI. The acting seems better on average when they're not just looking at green screens and it won't look so damn dated 10-20 years from now (let alone further). The Matrix looks good still precisely because it didn't use that much in the way of CGI. Star Wars looks even better (the lighted button tech seems oddly retro/cheesy to some degree, but the fact it's supposed to be in a different galaxy means their tech doesn't have to look like our tech). The Star Wars prequels, OTOH....Phantom Menace in particular has some bad moments, although I will say the CGI Yoda added later looks better than that odd puppet they originally used there. It just looked fake (even faker than CGI).

Click THEATER (Updated: Jan-16-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room: 2018 55" QLED, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Sonic Holography Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Carver TFM-35x Amp (Woofers), Yamaha M-45 Class A/AB Amp (Ribbons), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube
post #50 of 55 Old 12-29-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've "fixed" my Indian 3D version by buying the 4K disc when it was on sale after Thanksgiving and remuxing the Atmos soundtrack onto the 3D video in a MKV file (which my Zidoo can play directly). The timing had to be adjusted severely (like 14 seconds) because of different/extra intros, but it works when all is said and done (I used MKVToolnix). Zidoo is great, BTW. I can finally watch all my 3D movies not only without a disc, but with the full Atmos/X soundtrack (tested The Meg 3D with Atmos and Jurassic Park 3D with added DTS:X (from the 4K anniversary box set I bought on Black Friday) last night as well. They work great.

post #51 of 55 Old 01-11-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I've "fixed" my Indian 3D version by buying the 4K disc when it was on sale after Thanksgiving and remuxing the Atmos soundtrack onto the 3D video in a MKV file (which my Zidoo can play directly). The timing had to be adjusted severely (like 14 seconds) because of different/extra intros, but it works when all is said and done (I used MKVToolnix). Zidoo is great, BTW. I can finally watch all my 3D movies not only without a disc, but with the full Atmos/X soundtrack (tested The Meg 3D with Atmos and Jurassic Park 3D with added DTS:X (from the 4K anniversary box set I bought on Black Friday) last night as well. They work great.
You are doing exactly what I want to do, and I am probably going to replicate your setup and procedure.

Two questions before I start.
(1) Which Zidoo do you recommend? I see over in the other subforum that there is an older and more expensive X20, and newer, less expensive Z9S & Z10.
(2) How well does this setup handle subtitles? The two problem I forsee, based on my existing method, are (A) being able to turn subtitles on and off, for example if I can't hear what the person said so I temporarily turn on English subs, and (B) the occasional forced subtitles should show up for example when an alien language is spoken (this happens in Valerian).

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 01-11-2019 at 04:12 PM.
post #52 of 55 Old 01-11-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You are doing exactly what I want to do, and I am probably going to replicate your setup and procedure.

Two questions before I start.
(1) Which Zidoo do you recommend? I see over in the other subforum that there is an older and more expensive X20, and newer, less expensive Z9S & Z10.
(2) How well does this setup handle subtitles? The two problem I forsee, based on my existing method, are (A) being able to turn subtitles on and off, for example if I can't hear what the person said so I temporarily turn on English subs, and (B) the occasional forced subtitles should show up for example when an alien language is spoken (this happens in Valerian).
I've got the X9S, but I believe there's a newer version called the Z9S that would probably be the better one to get (i.e. I didn't notice the new one was out when I ordered this one or that's the one I would have went for). There's also a Z10 (I think it can hold an internal large hard drive instead of connecting external). I don't know all the details, but I think the Z9S has better 4K support than the X9S. Seeing as I don't have a 4K projector at the moment, it doesn't really matter much to me for now.

I believe the forced subtitles worked as normal (i.e. pretty much the same as when I watched it off disc) when I watched Valerian. I don't think I ever tried manually selecting subtitles. I also haven't had much luck with connecting over my network to my Mac server via SMB. I don't think it supports the Mac's SMB3 properly.

post #53 of 55 Old 01-11-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I believe the forced subtitles worked as normal (i.e. pretty much the same as when I watched it off disc) when I watched Valerian. I don't think I ever tried manually selecting subtitles.
Thanks for the information. I don't suppose you could do me a huge favor and, at your convenience, confirm these two things before I buy?
post #54 of 55 Old 01-11-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I don't suppose you could do me a huge favor and, at your convenience, confirm these two things before I buy?
I just tried Ghost in the Shell 3D with Atmos sound. The 'forced' subtitles looked like they were what showed on the screen at the cinema (might have been printed on the video; I'm not sure). I selected English as subtitles from the Zidoo in-movie menu and it was clearly using a font-based subtitle, but it worked fine (I didn't dump any other languages with MakeMKV to try). In any case, subtitles appear to function fine here. You can select alternate audio tracks from that menu as well or even force a change to 2D, if you want.

post #55 of 55 Old 01-14-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I just tried Ghost in the Shell 3D with Atmos sound. The 'forced' subtitles looked like they were what showed on the screen at the cinema (might have been printed on the video; I'm not sure). I selected English as subtitles from the Zidoo in-movie menu and it was clearly using a font-based subtitle, but it worked fine (I didn't dump any other languages with MakeMKV to try). In any case, subtitles appear to function fine here. You can select alternate audio tracks from that menu as well or even force a change to 2D, if you want.
Thanks again. I'll pick up a Zidoo.

The subtitles on Valerian are definitely not burned into the video. When I rip it, they don't appear at all (there is no "standard" for 3D subtitles played from video files, only from discs). Well, that's the case of the UK disc I bought--I can't speak for other sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content