Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 Old 10-07-2017, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,937
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Blade Runner 2049 3D

Just viewed it in 3D. Movie itself was great, a bold successor to the original.

So the website listed it as RealD 3D which we've always had Dolby 3D before at least I thought it was Dolby 3D. When I arrived it was not RealD but the same glasses as before. I looked at the brand and they are XpanD. There is a battery compartment on one side so I guess these are actually active sync shutter glasses? I looked it up and it's different than both Dolby 3D and RealD. The glasses are bulky and heavy and I would say considerably more than my Estar dlp link glasses. I usually don't complain about the glasses but there were times they were sliding down my nose and they did feel like a burden on my face. My Estar glasses aren't like that, I can wear they for hours with no complaints.

I think this is the last 3D movie I will see in theater around here since there is no RealD theaters close by. I don't care for the XpanD glasses. It's no wonder people are turned off by 3D with the heavy glasses, smeared lenses that you can't get clean. I arrived early, I brought a lens cleaner with me as well as my own polarized glasses incase it was RealD but they handed me those XpanD glasses so mine stayed in my pocket. Already know they wouldn't work.
I spent 5 minutes trying to clean them but they just wouldn't get clean. Time to junk the XpanD glasses and get the real RealD system.

3D quality. There was some ghosting. Some early scenes, usually it was stuff off to the left as I was seated half-way to the right of center so likely off-axis a little too much for the XpanD system. The 3D effect seemed minimal most of the time, glasses off there was noticeable parallax between the views each checking. Some scenes really opened up the use of 3D and put you inside the movie. Rainfall, snowfall, seems to float out around you. When the 3D is used, it's used effectively. I was hoping for more 3D effect but the going trend for Hollywood 3D movies seems to be a minimalistic approach. James Cameron is going to use more 3D effect and I'm glad. It's time to push the limits of 3D.

So overall, I do think 3D is worth the extra ticket price for this one, but I really would like an actual RealD option, not the RealD brand slapped on the same setup they've had here all along. I think this is false advertising, if the theater isn't RealD they shouldn't have their logo up there. I can't wait to get the Blu ray 3D ordered and watch at home where I'm sure it will look and sound better. The soundtrack to this one is equally as impressive.

The lone 3D showing on this one is in the smallest theater room clear at the end of the theater but I did see they had 4 showings not 1, like I saw the other day. Theater was mostly empty after movie started and it started about 10 minutes late, think they forgot to start the movie.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 58 Old 10-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Senior Member
 
RS3771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Just viewed it in 3D. Movie itself was great, a bold successor to the original.

So the website listed it as RealD 3D which we've always had Dolby 3D before at least I thought it was Dolby 3D. When I arrived it was not RealD but the same glasses as before. I looked at the brand and they are XpanD. There is a battery compartment on one side so I guess these are actually active sync shutter glasses? I looked it up and it's different than both Dolby 3D and RealD. The glasses are bulky and heavy and I would say considerably more than my Estar dlp link glasses. I usually don't complain about the glasses but there were times they were sliding down my nose and they did feel like a burden on my face. My Estar glasses aren't like that, I can wear they for hours with no complaints.

I think this is the last 3D movie I will see in theater around here since there is no RealD theaters close by. I don't care for the XpanD glasses. It's no wonder people are turned off by 3D with the heavy glasses, smeared lenses that you can't get clean. I arrived early, I brought a lens cleaner with me as well as my own polarized glasses incase it was RealD but they handed me those XpanD glasses so mine stayed in my pocket. Already know they wouldn't work.
I spent 5 minutes trying to clean them but they just wouldn't get clean. Time to junk the XpanD glasses and get the real RealD system.

3D quality. There was some ghosting. Some early scenes, usually it was stuff off to the left as I was seated half-way to the right of center so likely off-axis a little too much for the XpanD system. The 3D effect seemed minimal most of the time, glasses off there was noticeable parallax between the views each checking. Some scenes really opened up the use of 3D and put you inside the movie. Rainfall, snowfall, seems to float out around you. When the 3D is used, it's used effectively. I was hoping for more 3D effect but the going trend for Hollywood 3D movies seems to be a minimalistic approach. James Cameron is going to use more 3D effect and I'm glad. It's time to push the limits of 3D.

So overall, I do think 3D is worth the extra ticket price for this one, but I really would like an actual RealD option, not the RealD brand slapped on the same setup they've had here all along. I think this is false advertising, if the theater isn't RealD they shouldn't have their logo up there. I can't wait to get the Blu ray 3D ordered and watch at home where I'm sure it will look and sound better. The soundtrack to this one is equally as impressive.

The lone 3D showing on this one is in the smallest theater room clear at the end of the theater but I did see they had 4 showings not 1, like I saw the other day. Theater was mostly empty after movie started and it started about 10 minutes late, think they forgot to start the movie.
I did read somewhere that Cameron was "very conservative" in the past and that he intends to "open up the depth field" for all his Avatar sequels.
RS3771 is offline  
post #3 of 58 Old 10-09-2017, 06:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Would you say the 3d was worth it?

At my local AMC theater i can either go see it in RealD 3D or on a Large Format Screen in 2d. Trying to decide which one to pick.
MirTech is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 58 Old 10-09-2017, 07:03 AM
 
GordonTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 69
OP points out another downfall of 3D movie viewing.

You pretty much have to sit in the "sweet spot" to get 100% of the 3D experience or you could be prone to the issues the OP points out.
GordonTV is offline  
post #5 of 58 Old 10-09-2017, 07:32 AM
Senior Member
 
danlshane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Okolona, KY
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTV View Post
OP points out another downfall of 3D movie viewing.

You pretty much have to sit in the "sweet spot" to get 100% of the 3D experience or you could be prone to the issues the OP points out.
My viewing yesterday was genuine RealD (I brought home the "paid for" glasses to prove it), and my son and I were dead center to the screen on both axes, about 30 feet away. When the 3-D effect was obvious (snow or rain falling, hovercar swooping overhead onto the screen) it was modestly effective. I would not say it was worth the up-charge. Most of the time a viewer would not know he was watching a stereo presentation.

If Sony offers a 3-D Blu-ray that is the version I will purchase to encourage support of the format, but I will probably play the flat version at home more often. Very little reward for asking my family to put on the glasses.

As for the film itself, just as beautiful and gritty as the original.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
danlshane is offline  
post #6 of 58 Old 10-09-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3DBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,256
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
My viewing yesterday was genuine RealD (I brought home the "paid for" glasses to prove it), and my son and I were dead center to the screen on both axes, about 30 feet away. When the 3-D effect was obvious (snow or rain falling, hovercar swooping overhead onto the screen) it was modestly effective. I would not say it was worth the up-charge. Most of the time a viewer would not know he was watching a stereo presentation.

If Sony offers a 3-D Blu-ray that is the version I will purchase to encourage support of the format, but I will probably play the flat version at home more often. Very little reward for asking my family to put on the glasses.

As for the film itself, just as beautiful and gritty as the original.
I have found, with my projector setup anyway, that the depth of most 3D movies is better on my home screen. Some of this could be that the theater does not separate the images properly, or moves the stereo window back to much. I'm going to see it sometime this week in RealD, so let's hope for the best.
3DBob is online now  
post #7 of 58 Old 12-01-2017, 07:20 AM
Senior Member
 
MrEmoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE Mass, USA, Earth
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Where are we finding the 3D Blu-Ray? Nevermind, I'll go poke around...

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
MrEmoto is offline  
post #8 of 58 Old 12-02-2017, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
film113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmoto View Post
Where are we finding the 3D Blu-Ray? Nevermind, I'll go poke around...
http://www.wbshop.com/mobile/search....de+Runner+2049
MrEmoto likes this.
film113 is offline  
post #9 of 58 Old 12-02-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Postmoderndesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,922
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmoto View Post
Where are we finding the 3D Blu-Ray? Nevermind, I'll go poke around...
amazon.co.uk and other country's web sites including asia
MrEmoto likes this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Postmoderndesign is online now  
post #10 of 58 Old 12-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
dew42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmoto View Post
Where are we finding the 3D Blu-Ray? Nevermind, I'll go poke around...
I have this one pre-ordered from amazon Canada. This is region A for North America. Bestbuy and Walmart Canada are also offering pre-orders.

http://www.amazon.ca/Blade-Runner-B.../dp/B075ZB7K6M
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product.../m2226260.aspx
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/blade-r.../6000197543096
MrEmoto likes this.
dew42 is offline  
post #11 of 58 Old 12-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Member
 
kis3dhc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: b.c. canada
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
FYI Euro Amz. site release date :
Spain Rgion B 3D (Steel Box) Jan 26th 2018
France Region B 3D + BD combo Feb 14th 2018
Germany Region B 3D + BD combo Apr 5th 2018
U.K. Region B " " No date yet

US and Canada Jan 6th 2018 for (4K and 3D BD combo .)
MrEmoto likes this.

Last edited by kis3dhc; 12-08-2017 at 11:19 AM.
kis3dhc is offline  
post #12 of 58 Old 12-02-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
film113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by kis3dhc View Post
FYI Euro Amz. site release date :
Spain Rgion B 3D (Steel Box) Jan 26th 2018
France Region B 3D + BD combo Feb 14th 2018
Germany Region B 3D + BD combo Apr 5th 2018
U.K. Region B " " No date yet

US and Canada (May be not available) Jan 6th 2018 for (4K and BD combo only)
*sigh* U.S. release link on Post #8, but again:

http://www.wbshop.com/product/mobile...nd&from=Search
MrEmoto likes this.

Last edited by film113; 12-02-2017 at 12:31 PM.
film113 is offline  
post #13 of 58 Old 12-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
dew42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Bestbuy Canada is showing a release date of January 16 for the Blade Runner 2049 3D Blu-ray.

Here is a region A steelbook alternative from yesasia for January 12:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/blade-run...0-en/info.html
MrEmoto and EVERRET like this.
dew42 is offline  
post #14 of 58 Old 12-04-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I saw this at the theater when I was on my Arizona trip in late October (theater across from Castles'n'Coasters in Phoenix) and it was passive 3D. I thought it looked great, personally. The rain reminded me of Resident Evil Retribution 3D at home with that top/down view. Only modest negative parallax, but decent depth. I saw no evidence of crosstalk. Sound was great even without Atmos. The movie was a bit long, but it felt like a legitimate sequel. It left room for more movies in the future, of course.
dew42 likes this.

Click THEATER for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) With Mixed Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room: 2018 Samsung 55" QLED, Carver AL-III Ribbons, Carver C-5 Sonic Holography Pre-Amp, Technics DD/DTS, Carver TFM-35x Amp (woofers), Yamaha M-45 Class A/AB Amp (Ribbons), Klipsch surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield with KODI, ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube
MagnumX is online now  
post #15 of 58 Old 12-09-2017, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
dew42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 127
The news release says the 3D Blu-ray will be released January 16.

http://afterconvert.com/blade-runner...oming-blu-ray/

Pre-order is available at Bestbuy US.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/blade-r...?skuId=6169803
dew42 is offline  
post #16 of 58 Old 12-09-2017, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 353
It will be available in the US? Wow. It's getting almost shocking to see a 3D BD release in the US now. Zavvi has it (supposedly region free) for $26.79, but throw in the $3 shipping to US and it's about the same and besides the digital download is questionable for US (I got Harry Potter to transfer via VPN + Flixster UK to my UV account which now works via Movies Anywhere with everything including iTunes US, but Star Trek Into Darkness was iTunes only and there's no way to transfer that so Movies Anywhere picks it up. You can create an iTunes UK account, but then you have the 90 day wait to switch back to iTunes US downloads, but at least it will play off iTunes at that point. It's easier to just rip/encode for that one.

Click THEATER for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) With Mixed Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room: 2018 Samsung 55" QLED, Carver AL-III Ribbons, Carver C-5 Sonic Holography Pre-Amp, Technics DD/DTS, Carver TFM-35x Amp (woofers), Yamaha M-45 Class A/AB Amp (Ribbons), Klipsch surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield with KODI, ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube
MagnumX is online now  
post #17 of 58 Old 12-09-2017, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
MrEmoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE Mass, USA, Earth
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I just can't stomach $30. I'll wait until the price comes down. The way they price these things is why 3D isn't more popular. Sorry for the OT comments.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
MrEmoto is offline  
post #18 of 58 Old 12-16-2017, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Amazon doesn't show a 3D version available anymore. Is this going to be a Best Buy exclusive or did they change their minds and ditch the US versions like everyone else has recently (save Wonder Woman)?

Click THEATER for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) With Mixed Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room: 2018 Samsung 55" QLED, Carver AL-III Ribbons, Carver C-5 Sonic Holography Pre-Amp, Technics DD/DTS, Carver TFM-35x Amp (woofers), Yamaha M-45 Class A/AB Amp (Ribbons), Klipsch surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield with KODI, ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube
MagnumX is online now  
post #19 of 58 Old 01-11-2018, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Actionable Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by kis3dhc View Post
US and Canada Jan 6th 2018 for (4K and 3D BD combo .)
Is this 3D/4K combo available anywhere? I cannot find it, even at WB's shop. BestBuy has 3D, no combo. Amazon doesn't have 3D at all.
Actionable Mango is online now  
post #20 of 58 Old 01-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Member
 
MarshallFaulk28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Is this 3D/4K combo available anywhere? I cannot find it, even at WB's shop. BestBuy has 3D, no combo. Amazon doesn't have 3D at all.
It doesn't look like we're fortunate to get a combo in these parts again. I've put my order in at Amazon France:

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0764RLN73/...5ECADEKP&psc=0
Actionable Mango likes this.
MarshallFaulk28 is offline  
post #21 of 58 Old 01-12-2018, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Actionable Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallFaulk28 View Post
It doesn't look like we're fortunate to get a combo in these parts again. I've put my order in at Amazon France:

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0764RLN73/...5ECADEKP&psc=0
Thanks for the link. Can you confirm the region after you get yours? I do not have a region free player.
Actionable Mango is online now  
post #22 of 58 Old 01-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Member
 
MarshallFaulk28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Thanks for the link. Can you confirm the region after you get yours? I do not have a region free player.
Sure. I may not get mine for a while because I bundled it with 2 other 4K/3D combos that aren't out yet. I'll keep an eye on the boards though and see if I can find confirmation that it's region free. It's Sony, so I expect it would be fine. If it's not though, that will give me a chance to remove this from my order.
MarshallFaulk28 is offline  
post #23 of 58 Old 01-12-2018, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Actionable Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallFaulk28 View Post
I may not get mine for a while because I bundled it with 2 other 4K/3D combos that aren't out yet.
I'm on the lookout for combos. Do you mind sharing which other two titles you are getting?

Is there a resource/list for these combos, or are you just doing the footwork for yourself to find them?
Actionable Mango is online now  
post #24 of 58 Old 01-12-2018, 12:43 PM
Member
 
MarshallFaulk28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
I'm on the lookout for combos. Do you mind sharing which other two titles you are getting?

Is there a resource/list for these combos, or are you just doing the footwork for yourself to find them?
No problem. I’m in the same way. I want to support all these combo packs I can unless the movie is really terrible. The other two I pre ordered were Justice League and Jumanji.

I mostly do the footwork myself, keeping an eye on this forum and the Blu-ray.com ones. Occasionally I’ll seatch the Amazon sites. France seems the be the most supportive of these combos right now.

I really wish someone had combos for Thor and Star Wars, but it looks like they will not exist. 🙁
MarshallFaulk28 is offline  
post #25 of 58 Old 01-12-2018, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
I'm on the lookout for combos.
I like the cheddar pretzel kind. I can usually find them at the Circle K.

Click THEATER for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) With Mixed Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room: 2018 Samsung 55" QLED, Carver AL-III Ribbons, Carver C-5 Sonic Holography Pre-Amp, Technics DD/DTS, Carver TFM-35x Amp (woofers), Yamaha M-45 Class A/AB Amp (Ribbons), Klipsch surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield with KODI, ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube
MagnumX is online now  
post #26 of 58 Old 01-16-2018, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
Amazon doesn't show a 3D version available anymore. Is this going to be a Best Buy exclusive or did they change their minds and ditch the US versions like everyone else has recently (save Wonder Woman)?
It's a Best Buy exclusive, according to the sticker on the package.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Bob McLaughlin is offline  
post #27 of 58 Old 01-16-2018, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,937
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 431
It's HERE!!!

Glad I preordered this. I don't think Best Buy is stocking these in stores, may only be preorder only as it may be very hard or impossible to find in stores now. I picked up mine today and it may have been the only 3D copy in their holding bin, most were the 4K Steelbooks. The guy asked me why I didn't want the 4K and the nice steel book. Hmm. Yeah, just hand it over kid!!!

So might have to wait for UK version but I think it's region locked so make sure you have a way to play it.

So this is not good, BB exclusive in US and I have a feeling is sold out already or nearly. Also, the only option for me on preorder this time was store pickup, so I'm wondering if they just sent these out to those that preordered from their limited stock??? And if this is BB only, that can't be good because BB only seems to deal in what's popular tech-wise. So along with Guardians Vol 2, this is going to be rare for US copy, basically to be put on the import list if you're reading this a month from now or later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blade_runner_2049_3D.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	2346618  

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is online now  
post #28 of 58 Old 01-16-2018, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3DBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,256
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 522
I just ordered it online and store pickup, no problem.
3DBob is online now  
post #29 of 58 Old 01-16-2018, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,937
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 431
This is crazy. I checked after I got home and it's in store pick up only, no online order option and only 3 stores within 300 miles had it but only a few copies left. Then I just checked again and only one store has it now. It might depend on where you are, some stores may have more copies but I predict it will sell out today everywhere. No joke.

Apparently, Geostorm was also a BB exclusive released today and it's sold out online already, can't order it at all so have to wait for UK version and import, releases next Mon in UK. So a year ago they pretty much stopped stocking new release 3D blu rays and now the BB exclusives are selling out within days. A year from now might be the end of domestic 3D blu rays.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is online now  
post #30 of 58 Old 01-16-2018, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I just picked up Blade Runner 2049 3D from Best Buy. They had 2 copies left from this morning at around 4:45 PM. I grabbed one of them. I think they only had 5 to begin with?

At first the kid checking me out was surprised I picked up the 3D one and then he said he remembered me from some time ago looking for a 3D movie there but he couldn't remember what (yeah I have like 86 since August so who knows). I told him 3D looks pretty good on a 3D screen and he gawked that someone around this (hell hole maybe?) had such a big projector system. I told him I was a little upset that I didn't wait a little longer what with the new DLP 4K/3D (LG?) projector that's about to come out for $1600. He said he heard of DLP but it was from when he was a little kid so he never got to see one (geeze a guy at work I know still has one). I told him they still make DLP projectors and he struck me as nearly DUMBFOUNDED! LOL.

I told him I had to get Valerian from India to get a 3D version since 3D titles were disappearing from the US and he said how cool that was to get something from India! (as if China were exotic sitting right next door to it in this day and age). Hell, go to the sauce section of the local supermarket and they have all kinds of curry sauces from India for sale.... Anyway, I asked him how he liked The Fifth Element since it was also by Luc Besson. He said he never heard of it! LOL. God, either I'm old in my early 40s or kids today don't look back at anything made older than a few years. I've got at least 1-3 movies from every single year since 1930 here. I've got more from the '40s than I do the '70s! (OK, lots are Bogart movies as he's my favorite actor). I told him he should go watch the Fifth Element pronto as it's WAY better overall (although the 3D is awesome in Valerian but there's no way that admittedly cute Cara girl is hotter than Milla was in the '90s).

Click THEATER for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) With Mixed Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room: 2018 Samsung 55" QLED, Carver AL-III Ribbons, Carver C-5 Sonic Holography Pre-Amp, Technics DD/DTS, Carver TFM-35x Amp (woofers), Yamaha M-45 Class A/AB Amp (Ribbons), Klipsch surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield with KODI, ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube
MagnumX is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 3D Content



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off