post #61 of 89 Old 04-20-2018, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Terminator 2: Judgement Day Blu ray 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipfreely View Post
If anyone is still interested you can order region free from Nova.

http://novamnm.com/product/blu-ray-t...y_group=1#none

How is their a region free version available? Home made?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 04-20-2018, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdarcy View Post
How is their a region free version available? Home made?

This is from a Korean distributor.
post #63 of 89 Old 04-20-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
This is from a Korean distributor.

So this is good to order? Quality is normal movie studio quality? Sorry for the questions but I know the India version was never released because of studio involvement with it being region free. Hence no region free 3d version being available anywhere. Has anyone here bought this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 89 Old 04-21-2018, 02:45 PM

I messaged the distributor and asked them if this is a ripped copy with the region removed and they have not answered. They responded to a different question I had but not this one.

post #65 of 89 Old 04-21-2018, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 354
I turned 'em in to the FBI (who wasn't really interested since it's international copyright law not internal), but only AFTER I ordered my copy and it shipped! LOL. Just kidding.

Click THEATER (Updated: Jan-16-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room: 2018 55" QLED, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Sonic Holography Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Carver TFM-35x Amp (Woofers), Yamaha M-45 Class A/AB Amp (Ribbons), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube
post #66 of 89 Old 04-21-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
I turned 'em in to the FBI (who wasn't really interested since it's international copyright law not internal), but only AFTER I ordered my copy and it shipped! LOL. Just kidding.

Let me know the quality when you get it. Whole thing makes no sense. Only region free version was coming from India and the studio shut it down.

post #67 of 89 Old 04-24-2018, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 160
After buying a "store retail" Valerian 3D disc from Singapore that was a bootleg, I'm a bit shy about Asian imports from sellers I haven't heard of yet.

I will be interested to see if this place is legit, for possible future purchases.

Also I think it is weird that a Korean boxes would have everything in English... cover art, back cover, title, etc. I do a lot of importing and usually either everything is in the native language, or there is a mix of native language and English.

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 04-24-2018 at 12:42 PM.
post #68 of 89 Old 04-24-2018, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Indian BDs are all in English too (save the Hindi soundtracks). I've seen Asian discs that are both in English and Chinese or Korean on the front. Given most English BDs have 6-8 other languages on them, it's not that strange, IMO. One way or the other these are Korean releases and not exactly "marketed" so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions. Frankly, I don't really care to know at this point. I already own the UK version (definitely "legit" but unplayable in the US without a region-free player, which itself is probably not "legal" in some sense since it bypasses a "protection" mode. No matter how you look at it, you're either at Hollywood's mercy or you do what you have to do to make it work.) I tried to burn my own region free BDR, but the PS4 won't read it (not sure about other players; I'm not buying another BD player for ONE disc when I only use the PS4 for 3D discs and play everything else off digital rips for an all house system).

The worst part is that James Cameron either doesn't care or doesn't have enough clout to release his own 3D conversion in the USA in 3D. It's PATHETIC in that regard. I don't understand why the industry is trying so HARD to destroy 3D in the USA yet continue to offer it everywhere else on the planet... It doesn't make sense. If they truly wanted to end 3D, they'd stop offering it everywhere immediately and if it's simply about sales, then why put a region LOCK on a movie that is not available for Region A ANYWHERE (until now supposedly) ??? Why do they care if I watch a move that is decades old in 3D in the US? It's ridiculous.
rdarcy likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: Jan-16-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room: 2018 55" QLED, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Sonic Holography Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Carver TFM-35x Amp (Woofers), Yamaha M-45 Class A/AB Amp (Ribbons), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube
post #69 of 89 Old 04-25-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I'm not buying another BD player for ONE disc when I only use the PS4 for 3D discs and play everything else off digital rips for an all house system).
I recently ripped my entire 2D collection. I liked playback via Plex so much that I'm now in middle of ripping my 3D movie collection too. One big motivator (other than usability) is that region coding is irrelevant, so I can play T2 3D once it is ripped, even though I cannot play the disc directly.
post #70 of 89 Old 05-30-2018, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If anyone is still interested you can order region free from Nova.
http://novamnm.com/product/blu-ray-t...y_group=1#none
Here are pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180530_144041.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	2409604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180530_143925.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	594.7 KB
ID:	2409606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180530_143906.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	868.1 KB
ID:	2409608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180530_143856.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1,001.1 KB
ID:	2409610  
dew42 and Actionable Mango like this.
post #71 of 89 Old 05-30-2018, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
No matter how you look at it, you're either at Hollywood's mercy or you do what you have to do to make it work.) ... I'm not buying another BD player for ONE disc when I only use the PS4 for 3D discs and play everything else off digital rips for an all house system). The worst part is that James Cameron either doesn't care or doesn't have enough clout to release his own 3D conversion in the USA in 3D. It's PATHETIC in that regard. ... Why do they care if I watch a move that is decades old in 3D in the US? It's ridiculous.
I'd probably consider getting a UK PS3 (or PS4) to handle discs if it's cheap enough if you didn't want to process/rip the 3D discs into the correct format. I've actually done this in reverse so I imported an original 60 GB PS3 from USA (mostly to play US PS1/2 games) but it has the advantage of playing Region A Blu-Ray and Region 1 DVD's, not that I've needed to do that recently. The advantage is that the PS3/4 will be supported significantly better than standalone players in the future, at least until Sony stops supporting them (I'm pretty sure most original release standalone Blu-Ray players have stopped working or no longer get firmware updates).

With the Terminator 2 3D release I'm not sure James Cameron was involved significantly in the process as compared to Titanic so feels like it was more a Studio Canal effort targeted for UK audiences that was later picked up for Australia and AP regions. With regards to releases, companies usually leave it up to local distributors handle it, so there is a wide range of variety on packaging and release variants (South Korea usually makes a pretty good effort). However, they are restricted by their licensing rights as it's pretty common to have the region locking forced on or see wide discrepancies in prices from region to region for effectively the same item, in physical or digital formats. (In some cases you can tell they are mass producing in the same centre, so for some UK DVD's they're region 2 & 4 to handle UK/Australia together without running a separate batch).
post #72 of 89 Old 05-31-2018, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCummins View Post
With the Terminator 2 3D release I'm not sure James Cameron was involved significantly in the process as compared to Titanic so feels like it was more a Studio Canal effort targeted for UK audiences that was later picked up for Australia and AP regions.
I had read that he supposedly wanted to personally oversee the 3D transfer for the theatrical re-release (that was only in major cities for the most part and around here not advertised AT ALL). Now as for the BD transfer, I have no idea whether he was involved one iota, but gather they're using the same 3D conversion. Now as to why Studio Canal wanted to actively purposely BLOCK North American users from being able to to buy/see Terminator 2 3D in the USA (Region B LOCKED in the UK), I have NO IDEA. I just got a region unlocked version from South Korea and I have no idea if it's even legit (wasn't cheap either) given the film says Studio Canal on it, but the box shows nothing of the kind. But at least it works in regular BD players and has the 5.1 English soundtrack on it.

post #73 of 89 Old 05-31-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I had read that he supposedly wanted to personally oversee the 3D transfer for the theatrical re-release (that was only in major cities for the most part and around here not advertised AT ALL). Now as for the BD transfer, I have no idea whether he was involved one iota, but gather they're using the same 3D conversion. Now as to why Studio Canal wanted to actively purposely BLOCK North American users from being able to to buy/see Terminator 2 3D in the USA (Region B LOCKED in the UK), I have NO IDEA. I just got a region unlocked version from South Korea and I have no idea if it's even legit (wasn't cheap either) given the film says Studio Canal on it, but the box shows nothing of the kind. But at least it works in regular BD players and has the 5.1 English soundtrack on it.
Yes so I imagine Cameron handled some of that and QC'ed the conversion to some degree, but clearly not to a significant degree to help push through a local US 3D Blu-Ray release.

When it comes to the region locking it is more likely the licensing that is preventing companies from ignoring region locks. So for example the conversion is done by Stereo D/Deluxe who was able to license to Studio Canal in the UK (and Australia & AP regions since they control that too). However, it looks like one of the companies (possibly DMG Entertainment, see information here) basically dropped the ball on catering for the US market for a 3D release. If anything, it's probably a bunch of executives not proceeding on it and also making sure that the other regions stay locked in case they change their minds and want to do a release inside US. Given numerous titles are not being released in USA for 3D it is more a marketing & licensing issue I think. Companies that breach the licensing and region locks generally don't stay in business for that long as the companies licensing the material to them for production will simply stop doing so.

For people outside of the US this is nothing new as many times releases have been Region A/1 locked so getting around the locks is considered standard practice. Due to the way licensing is handled this has a large impact on whether titles are released and at what markup (sometimes, companies are trying to recoup poorly negotiated licensing costs for a long time or have exclusive licensing rights for a region so they charge what they think they can get away with). For a customer you would need to purchase what you want where it makes sense cost wise. I guess you could email the local licensing holders to inform them of your choice but not sure that would make any significant difference, probably better to ask why they aren't releasing it in the first place.

I think you're going to see a lot more of this in the future due to the on-going trade wars & tax wars (just yesterday Amazon announced they will no longer service Australian customers from the US site due to refusing to collect GST for purchases) until companies and governments start to work on a global view of marketing and licensing to even out differences between countries so that companies are forced to work more competitively in the global markets. In some cases that balance is quite difficult to accomplish.
post #74 of 89 Old 06-01-2018, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 128
StudioCanal also released a UHD Blu-ray. UHD Blu-rays do not support region coding (i.e. they are always region free). I don't doubt there are licensing games going on with the 3D Blu-ray, but I wonder how they make the UHD Blu-ray release work.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=21710
post #75 of 89 Old 06-01-2018, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew42 View Post
StudioCanal also released a UHD Blu-ray. UHD Blu-rays do not support region coding (i.e. they are always region free). I don't doubt there are licensing games going on with the 3D Blu-ray, but I wonder how they make the UHD Blu-ray release work.
Companies find ways to make it work when it's in their best interest to collaborate to support a market. I expect since sales of 4K UHD is not outstanding vs Blu-Ray and because they have a lot of competition from online streaming it makes a lot of sense to not further antagonise customers with unnecessary region locking. I believe it was a directive from the UHD Alliance that they would have to accept these terms in order to get the UHD media out there (so I expect people in the UHD Alliance weighed up complaints, piracy and competition and figured it was better to scrap regions altogether). Since a lot of UHD media is basically upscaled 2K media with HDR & optional Atmos it's a tough sell when Blu-Ray is "good enough" a lot of the time. It's good if you want to buy the media, not every country gets a UHD release of a movie so you can simply buy where-ever it's released.
post #76 of 89 Old 06-01-2018, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I could have sworn I read that UHD does support region encoding, but no title used it yet. Their theory was that it was to get the ball rolling and that release schedules for theatrical has changed and so region coding doesn't really matter as much as it used to so we may or may not see it used at some point. Whether that's true out not, I can't rightfully say.

post #77 of 89 Old 06-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I could have sworn I read that UHD does support region encoding, but no title used it yet. Their theory was that it was to get the ball rolling and that release schedules for theatrical has changed and so region coding doesn't really matter as much as it used to so we may or may not see it used at some point. Whether that's true out not, I can't rightfully say.
"I’ve confirmed with both studio sources and the UHD Alliance that Ultra HD Blu-ray will not employ region coding or region locking."

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/010616_0215

The following site may be the source of confusion. It seems to be saying that a UHD player still enforces region codes on non-UHD Blu-rays and DVDs. Thus you can't call a UHD Player region free even though there is no region code support on UHD Blu-rays.

http://www.220-electronics.com/blog/...-fact-fiction/
post #78 of 89 Old 06-01-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
The following site may be the source of confusion. It seems to be saying that a UHD player still enforces region codes on non-UHD Blu-rays and DVDs. Thus you can't call a UHD Player region free even though there is no region code support on UHD Blu-rays.
Yes that's correct - the UHD player will still support the region locking for Blu-Ray and DVDs and for UHD there is no region locking. So unless you purchase a specific region-free player you would still have issues when you wanted to try a Blu-Ray or DVD from a different region on it (so for US, Region B/C Blu-Ray or DVD's from region 2-6).
post #79 of 89 Old 06-03-2018, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Watched this last night, the 3D is great!
post #80 of 89 Old 06-03-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Here are pics.

Quality was good? Burned I assume. Package looks good

post #81 of 89 Old 06-03-2018, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdarcy View Post
Quote:
Here are pics.

Quality was good? Burned I assume. Package looks good

Definitely not burned, but that doesn't prove it's legit. The movie says converted by Studio Canal same as my UK set, but it appears nowhere on the box. All other versions included a 2D disc. This had none. The lenticular 3D cover is nice, though.

post #82 of 89 Old 06-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Definitely not burned, but that doesn't prove it's legit. The movie says converted by Studio Canal same as my UK set, but it appears nowhere on the box. All other versions included a 2D disc. This had none. The lenticular 3D cover is nice, though.
Quality was great. Still has some of the DNR you'll see in the 4k release. But the 3d looked really good for age of film (I have over 100 3d BRs).

Edit: I think the disk said pressed in Taiwan.
post #83 of 89 Old 06-03-2018, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quality was great. Still has some of the DNR you'll see in the 4k release. But the 3d looked really good for age of film (I have over 100 3d BRs).

Edit: I think the disk said pressed in Taiwan.
AFAIK, the video is identical to the UK release, etc. I agree the 3D looks good, but I would have preferred more negative parallax for things like the shotgun being pointed at the screen. It just seems like that just naturally lines up. At least Marvel is finally starting to use some popouts in key places. 3D is more effective with both depth and the occasional foreground out of the screen effect where it makes sense. There's a difference between lining up shots just for that effect (gimmicky) and using it where it naturally makes sense, IMO.

I'm currently at about 110 3D BDs, all obtained since last August when I got my 3D projector (still waiting for Black Panther 3D).

post #84 of 89 Old 06-03-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:

So is this worth it then? On the fence about purchasing it.

post #85 of 89 Old 06-04-2018, 04:36 AM

Oh well, sold out. I emailed them and they said it will not be restocked.

post #86 of 89 Old 10-12-2018, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Terminator 2 Endoarm Edition (4K UHD + 3D + Blu-ray) (Limited Edition) [Blu-ray]
http://amzn.asia/d/iff1YSw
URL: amazon.co.jp/dp/B07JVXQB4V/
Release Date: December 21, 2018
Region: A
post #87 of 89 Old 12-17-2018, 12:33 PM

Finally got around to watching the 3D UK region B disc. The 3D and video is great.

The audio is good for the most part, but felt weak and oddly proportioned in the opening future battle scene--bad enough I thought something was set up wrong, but it's fine for the rest of the movie. I'm kind of curious if anyone else noticed that or felt the same way.
post #88 of 89 Old 12-17-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Terminator 2 Endoarm Edition (4K UHD + 3D + Blu-ray) (Limited Edition) [Blu-ray]
http://amzn.asia/d/iff1YSw
URL: amazon.co.jp/dp/B07JVXQB4V/
Release Date: December 21, 2018
Region: A
That's $603 for anyone curious like me.

For that price, I hope the Endoarm can do chores around the house.
post #89 of 89 Old 01-08-2019, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
on eBay they have some now that state region free from Sri Lanka, and others from Russia that day region free,pretty cheap one is only 5 bucks and shipping, not sure if they really are region free though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content