post #62 of 207 Old 11-30-2014, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post
I saw Parts that looked like it was supposed to have popout but it never looked like they pulled it off like they did with fd4.
I totally agree with respect to FD5. Although I often wonder in cases like that whether it's due to my (imo) crappy Sony 3DTV.
post #63 of 207 Old 11-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I don't think I have Yogi; is that a cool flick?
In my opinion it's worth it if you can get it dirt cheap just for that one scene. But you obviously have to like popouts. It's one of those scenes where you want to pause the movie and just walk around the room looking at it for a while. The movie itself, while not the worst I've seen, is probably not worth many multiple viewings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 207 Old 11-30-2014, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The whole reason to buy a 3d movie IS for pop out scenes, for those who disagree, please go buy a 1d movie or a newspaper.

K ........H
..L.... C..
...I...S....
.... P......
post #65 of 207 Old 11-30-2014, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 187
^^^^ It is. Only for people in this thread though

For me it's really hard to be convinced to watch something in 3D if it only has depth. That's because I have all the depth and pop I need watching 2D BDs on my excellent Panasonic 65VT60. Therefore I need a reason to put on those glasses and pop outs are what do it for me. The other issue is cost and I'm sure I don't have to go into detail on this but the short version is- I usually can't justify it for what usually ends up being a one time viewing if it can't wow me outside of its own 2D version.

Again, I understand I and the others here are probably in the minority but hey I'm not complaining. If pop outs were abundant on 3D discs out there, I would be spending tons more and probably claiming bankruptcy in the future due to their ridiculously high prices
post #66 of 207 Old 11-30-2014, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Almost forgot...FINAL DESTINATION 5 and DRIVE ANGRY!
About 'Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over'?

* Some people think that FD5 is not truly "pop out".
post #67 of 207 Old 11-30-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
Edit: Found a review on blu-ray.com and this is what they had to say:

"A few objects appear to spring out of the screen during battle, but viewers aren't frequently left dodging weapons or feeling poked and prodded by materials which appear to extend well beyond the screen."

So I'm guessing it's a more subtle pop out effect where things float in front of you. I'll have to see this one first before I decide to add it to my collection
That link won't work.

* Maintenance? ...Most likely.

Last edited by NorthSky; 11-30-2014 at 11:36 PM.
post #68 of 207 Old 11-30-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post
Here you go. The ray is photoshopped (of course) but my friend Gort is not. I got him from master robot builder Fred Barton more than a decade ago. (The mirror is the real thing too!)

Thx, I like it; fun picture and great looking robot. ...I would put it outside on Halloween's.

P.S. Photobucket pictures don't show up, only your previous attachment pic.
post #69 of 207 Old 11-30-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post
In my opinion it's worth it if you can get it dirt cheap just for that one scene. But you obviously have to like popouts. It's one of those scenes where you want to pause the movie and just walk around the room looking at it for a while. The movie itself, while not the worst I've seen, is probably not worth many multiple viewings.
Thx Johnny; I might take a chance on Yogi.
post #70 of 207 Old 12-01-2014, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That link won't work.

* Maintenance? ...Most likely.
Yup. It should be working now
post #71 of 207 Old 12-01-2014, 04:36 AM

It is now indeed.

* Hercules? ...Ouch!
post #72 of 207 Old 12-01-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Thx, I like it; fun picture and great looking robot. ...I would put it outside on Halloween's.

P.S. Photobucket pictures don't show up, only your previous attachment pic.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you not seeing the larger version of the photo when you click on the attachment image? I'm great at downloading Youtube 3D videos, but I don't know much about including images in my posts. Would you recommend a photo hosting site other than Photobucket? What puzzles me is that I sent a link to the page to a friend (not an AVS Forum member) to see if he could display the larger photo, and he had no problem doing so.

PS -- I agree with you that SPY KIDS 3D: GAME OVER has lots of popout. My other favorites are SAMMY'S ADVENTURES 1, MADAGASCAR 3, RISE OF THE GUARDIANS, and the recent THUNDER AND THE HOUSE OF MAGIC.
post #73 of 207 Old 12-01-2014, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
About 'Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over'?

* Some people think that FD5 is not truly "pop out".
So I see, from what others have said. I'm going by memory (which I recall had an impressive opening credit sequence...the movie, not my memory!), so it might be time to watch it again. One thing I can recall clearly is that FD5 was a better movie than its immediate predecessor.
post #74 of 207 Old 12-01-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand. Are you not seeing the larger version of the photo when you click on the attachment image? I'm great at downloading Youtube 3D videos, but I don't know much about including images in my posts. Would you recommend a photo hosting site other than Photobucket? What puzzles me is that I sent a link to the page to a friend (not an AVS Forum member) to see if he could display the larger photo, and he had no problem doing so.

PS -- I agree with you that SPY KIDS 3D: GAME OVER has lots of popout. My other favorites are SAMMY'S ADVENTURES 1, MADAGASCAR 3, RISE OF THE GUARDIANS, and the recent THUNDER AND THE HOUSE OF MAGIC.
Your pic attachment, when clicking on it is fine. ...I only mentioned that your two Photobucket pics don't show, that's all.
And I know nothing about Photobucket, ...me too I use pic attachment generally for my own personal pictures, unless I want to show the real deal;
but I'm not the type to post pictures. I just asked you because your avatar is cool.
fxrh likes this.
post #75 of 207 Old 12-01-2014, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have yet to catch Spy Kids 3D: Game Over. I'll definitely check it out.
post #76 of 207 Old 12-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
^^^^ It is. Only for people in this thread though

For me it's really hard to be convinced to watch something in 3D if it only has depth. That's because I have all the depth and pop I need watching 2D BDs on my excellent Panasonic 65VT60. Therefore I need a reason to put on those glasses and pop outs are what do it for me. The other issue is cost and I'm sure I don't have to go into detail on this but the short version is- I usually can't justify it for what usually ends up being a one time viewing if it can't wow me outside of its own 2D version.

Again, I understand I and the others here are probably in the minority but hey I'm not complaining. If pop outs were abundant on 3D discs out there, I would be spending tons more and probably claiming bankruptcy in the future due to their ridiculously high prices
I like your attitude, very noble of you. However we need to stand united and let them know what we REALLY want, true 3d with all the pop out that we can handle, screw the directors artistic views, if they don't like 3d why are they part of it?

K ........H
..L.... C..
...I...S....
.... P......
post #77 of 207 Old 12-01-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I have yet to catch Spy Kids 3D: Game Over. I'll definitely check it out.
That Blu-ray title is always on sale, for only $5-10. ...And the flick is totally dull; film itself, for kids between 5 and 10.

* Great 3D film directors make great 3D flicks.
The rest make lesser 3D flicks, with more pop out effects.

In general.

<<<>>> You might also want to check 'The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3-D'; another 5-10-year old flick, with some aggressive "pop out" effects. ...And also directed by Robert Rodriguez.

Last edited by NorthSky; 12-02-2014 at 12:03 AM. Reason: <<>>
post #78 of 207 Old 12-02-2014, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^ I don't disagree with you although I wish that wasn't the case
post #79 of 207 Old 12-02-2014, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushisrighton View Post
I like your attitude, very noble of you. However we need to stand united and let them know what we REALLY want, true 3d with all the pop out that we can handle, screw the directors artistic views, if they don't like 3d why are they part of it?
I understand your feelings and trust me if there was a way to let them know about this, I'll be the first person to sign up. Maybe someone can share the directors guild e-mail address or come up with an alternate way to accomplish this.
post #80 of 207 Old 12-02-2014, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
So it sounds like I'll probably have to download them instead of just streaming them through the 103D's app. I'll also have to tweak with my Panasonic VT60's display to see if I have the "SBS"and "Full" options in there as well.
I did some more experimenting with the OPPO YouTube app and succeeded in getting it to display videos in 3D. I did a search on "1080p 3d sbs videos" and started a video (the one with the girl holding the rose petal is a good one). When it started, it displayed the images in 2D side-by-side. But I then changed my display 3D option from "Auto" to "SBS" and voila! Worked like a charm!

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I was doing the 3D through the OPPO options, not my display, for my downloaded videos. I had gotten so used to doing the conversion through the OPPO 3D options (which are disabled on the YouTube app) that it didn't occur to me to try setting my display device to the SBS option. But it works!
Chere likes this.
post #81 of 207 Old 12-03-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I did some more experimenting with the OPPO YouTube app and succeeded in getting it to display videos in 3D. I did a search on "1080p 3d sbs videos" and started a video (the one with the girl holding the rose petal is a good one). When it started, it displayed the images in 2D side-by-side. But I then changed my display 3D option from "Auto" to "SBS" and voila! Worked like a charm!

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I was doing the 3D through the OPPO options, not my display, for my downloaded videos. I had gotten so used to doing the conversion through the OPPO 3D options (which are disabled on the YouTube app) that it didn't occur to me to try setting my display device to the SBS option. But it works!
You can also input yt3d in youtube search and variations of yt3d. I'm finding youtube clips have the best popout for me. I've bought a handful of titles off this thread for popout and just aint getting it. I'm probably not spending any more money on dvd's since the effect just isn't there.
and this kid has some cool clips, the machete will make you dodge it http://www.youtube.com/user/1tompo1 . I'm not sure why the 3d in these clips are so in your face and the bluray scenes meant for it barely leaves my tv. aw well it'll save me money I guess.
fxrh likes this.
post #82 of 207 Old 12-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
That was some popout with the balloon.
post #83 of 207 Old 12-03-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
the clips from 1tompo1 are pretty good to. I think the machete comes out farther than the balloon.
post #84 of 207 Old 12-03-2014, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
That Blu-ray title is always on sale, for only $5-10. ...And the flick is totally dull; film itself, for kids between 5 and 10.

* Great 3D film directors make great 3D flicks.
The rest make lesser 3D flicks, with more pop out effects.
So reducing the amount pop-out 3D, would have made these lesser flicks better?
post #85 of 207 Old 12-03-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaaaans View Post
So reducing the amount pop-out 3D, would have made these lesser flicks better?
No no, I'm just sayin' in general.
For popular 3D flicks @ the box office you see movie directors going for realistic depth instead of 3D gimmicks, you know.

_________

www.youtube.com/watch?v=swK4e24jMSI
post #86 of 207 Old 12-03-2014, 10:28 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPz9FfdSWbs
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJOJ4hJGQb8
post #87 of 207 Old 12-04-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
No no, I'm just sayin' in general.
For popular 3D flicks @ the box office you see movie directors going for realistic depth instead of 3D gimmicks, you know.
I find it extremely hard to believe that any popular 3D movie of the past 10 years, would be less so if it emphasized pop-out more. In fact, I think the biggest threat to 3D is how pathetically disposable it is so much of the time. A format that requires added expense and special equipment to see, should be utilizing every trick in the book to impress audiences. And I mean every single time. Catering to the sophisticates who think nothing could be sillier than objects extending beyond the screen,(uh...why?)is resulting in shameful missed opportunities to impress anyone else.
post #88 of 207 Old 12-04-2014, 02:04 PM

Tell people like Christopher Nolan about that, and some more. ...And good luck.

I certainly agree with your post to a certain extent. ...There is a tight rope between financial gain and artistic value of the content.
We cannot generalize and impose a set of our own 3D beliefs to the filmmakers. ...They are the ones who create accordingly to their own set of personal values.
I respect all of them because I can understand how they process their "art" in their mind and on the screen, differently, from one to another.
post #89 of 207 Old 12-04-2014, 02:52 PM

I actually prefer the Chris Nolan no-3D approach, to the half-assed-3D approach.(although an aggressive 3D Interstellar would be visually awesome)

Dull and disposable 3D is a disservice to consumers. Filmmakers creating based on their personal values, need to remember that 3D is the ONLY element of the process that requires extra effort and expense on the part of audiences. If strong 3D messes up a director's cinematic vision, dropping it altogether is the way to go.
post #90 of 207 Old 12-04-2014, 10:04 PM

Then not all 3D flicks are created equal, and neither all people who watch them 3D flicks. ...It is more complicated to film in 3D (properly and effectively) than in 2D. So not everyone wants to experiment, and pursue further, like James Cameron for example, and Peter Jackson.

Everybody is different, and I love 1080p 2D, and I love well made 1080p 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content