Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-10-2019, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The QC Home Theater

Started working on this awhile back and was told to create my own build thread... so here goes!

After many hours designing in Sketchup with my wife we decided on this setup.
We prioritized furnishings and design over sound equipment... way more $$$ in theater seats, bar, barstools, and personal labor. With electronics depreciation it just didn’t seem worth the investment... I haven’t listened to any professional/expensive home theaters, so don’t tempt me. Dark gray paint for walls/trim (specifically to blend into walls), flat black ceiling. Red accented furnishings.

Prior owner had the small Klipsch Quintet setup around half the room with TV wall mount. They were thinking much too small so, we decided to bump out the center, left front, and left surround speakers to make way for a 130ish” picture. A lot of time was spent mudding/sanding old holes from previous wall mount and cable routing. Decided to paint wall same dark gray as rest of the room and not have dedicated white screen to prevent that washed out look.

Removed door trim around closet next to equipment rack and filled in with fiberglass drywall tape and mud to create a hidden door. Now even more hidden with movie poster.

To Do:
Double Doors to theater (double action swinging? probably a bad idea with my young kids)
Theater Bar (include bar rail molding for easy on the elbow seating/leaning?)
5x Zuri Furniture Lush Adjustable Height Swivel Armless Bar Stool, Red
Finish painting equipment rack
Install black carpeting
Paint tile dark gray/black to match carpet
Route power up to projector
Re-route upstairs HDMI and surround speaker wires to basement equipment rack for tidy upstairs installation.
2x Atmos ceiling speakers for 6.2.2 setup?

Equipment list:
*free - Klipsch Quintet III for center, front R and L presence, L and R surround
(50w for satellites, 75w for center) {receiver already blew 2, woofer and tweeter, found some used replacements on eBay} [after that I limited my receiver to -15dBm]
*free - KLH AV5001 towers for front R and L (after installing some Klipsch R-24Fs at my brother’s the horn loaded design just sounds too harsh for my tastes... my brother gave me his old KLHs which I am really liking)
2x Klipsch R-10SW (300W)
Klipsch R-5650-SII in-wall for center rear surround (applied automotive sound deadening on drywall behind speaker, which really helps with sound carrying into the rest of basement)
Yamaha RX-A840 [refurb] (7.2 100 w/channel with zone 2 and party mode to whole house audio for some epic rave/dance parties
Optoma HD141X (3000 lumen)
Monoprice and Amazon Basic 14 AWG speaker wire, HDMI cables, banana connectors.

7x full size (27”x40”) movie theater poster frames
5x Palliser HIFI motorized theater recliners (broadway crimson, 100% real leather)
“Concessions” (4 inch tall), “Theater”, and “Lobby” (6 inch tall) Metal/plastic hybrid wall mount lettering from somebody on Etsy.

My father-in-law made a concession stand for my son’s outdoor cardboard box drive in theater birthday party awhile back so we are using that to hold popcorn machine, candy, chips, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EFC85730-C372-4AF5-9C37-51C8388A6DF6_1547152986634.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	2508820   Click image for larger version

Name:	9DEE13B6-0366-4CD0-BBA9-2B7B8C363417_1547153015062.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	2508822   Click image for larger version

Name:	70871BE2-9EA0-49C8-86A9-DE636E4EC56B_1547153121189.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	2508824  

Last edited by ccunningham; 01-11-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-11-2019, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

reserved for more pics
post #3 of 4 Old 01-11-2019, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Sketchup Models

Concessions detail

Equipment rack and hidden closet

bar detail

Last edited by ccunningham; 01-11-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-11-2019, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Fall 2018 Outdoor Movie Night

We're gonna try to to an annual or bi-annual outdoor movie night from now on... once in the fall and once in the spring so the skeeters don't get us. First up was Hocus Pocus.

Custom built PVC stand for 200" screen (16ft x 9ft). Had to put it on lower stands to test it in the house.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
bellevue , Home Theater , nebraska , omaha , palliser