• 1 Post By gbaby

post #1 of 26 Old 12-18-2018, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
The Predator Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

When a young boy accidentally triggers the universe's most lethal hunters' return to Earth, only a ragtag crew of ex-soldiers and a disgruntled scientist can prevent the end of the human race.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2018
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 107 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Action

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/Dolby TrueHD 7.1, English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Boyd Holbrook, Sterling K. Brown, Olivia Munn, Jacob Tremblay, Keegan-Michael Key, Thomas Jane, Alfie Allen
Directed by: Shane Black
Music by: Henry Jackman
Written by: Fred Dekker and Shane Black
Region Code: A

Release Date: December 18, 2018

"The Hunt has Evolved"

Synopsis:

“The hunt has evolved – and so has the explosive action – in the next chapter of the Predator series, from director Shane Black (Iron Man 3). Now, the most lethal hunters in the universe are stronger, smarter and deadlier than ever before….and only a ragtag crew of ex-soldiers and an evolutionary biology professor can prevent the end of the human race.” – 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.

My Take:

I am a fan of the Predator franchise, especially the original film, and have enjoyed its various incarnations over the years. I saw the trailer for The Predator and seeing that Shane Black was involved piqued my interest so I anxiously waiting for it to come to home video and the opportunity to review it on Ultra HD Blu-ray. The film’s opening is exactly what you’d expect, the alien ship carrying a Predator arrives on Earth, only this time things don’t go smoothly with the landing, as witnessed by an Army sniper on assignment, who encounters the Predator and makes off with serval items from the crippled alien ship.

This sets up the primary plot which essentially revolves around the Predator’s quest to reacquire the missing tech. What we learn along the way is that there is a government agency that has long since been aware of the Predators visits the Earth and that they are keenly interested in obtaining the missing tech as well as further studying the species. To that point things aren’t bad as the plot unfolds with the introduction of the various characters that will play a role tangling with the Predator as well as one another. There are few interesting narrative wrinkles that are included, one involving the preteen son of the Army sniper and, the other is the reason for the Predators arrival on Earth.

What happens along the way is a mix of Predator style action blended with characters, particularly those that make up the team, that don’t feel especially fresh as their interaction and dialog makes too many attempts at quips, one liners and comradery that comes across as forced. The government’s biologist, played by Olivia Munn, is written wrong in my opinion, as there is no indication of any combat training on her part. The various things she does in the movie are crazy over the top for a civilian with a background in biology. Don’t get me wrong, I like Olivia Munn and didn’t find her performance to be lacking. I simply would have preferred her character to fit within its design. Anyway, I liked the handling of the elements surrounding Rory (the sniper’s son) and its potential should there be another film.

The action was fine but, nothing we haven’t seen before. The production elements and design of the Predator was excellent. As you’d expect there’s plenty of bloodletting and not everyone makes it through the ordeal alive. As I watched I did fine myself cringing at some of the rather cheesy dialog and exchanges among adversaries. The Predator unfortunately doesn’t succeed as a wholly gratifying entry in the film series. It’s not terribly bad either. I liked some of what it offered but, it left too much on the table to keep me thoroughly engaged. If I had to sum it up I would say it was a mildly entertaining popcorn flick.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong bloody violence, language throughout, and crude sexual references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

The Predator comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entetainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

The Predator garnered a solid report from me on its video quality in 1080p. Its presentation in Ultra HD was rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K. Color reproduction is consistent, with primaries like blue and red appearing richer, and vividly pleasing. Secondary hues look great, providing a subtle, but appreciable increase in delineation. The increase in resolution isn't always on display, especially in wide angle shots involving the use of CGI, although I believe that this is innate to the photography. In many respects, the image is emboldened with a discernible boost to definition. Close-ups tend to offer better refinement and deeper resolvable texture on surfaces and physical features compared to the Blu-ray.

Where this presentation shines, is in its application of HDR, which truly enhances the experience of viewing the film. The opening sequence where the alien ship enters the atmosphere and crashes to Earth provides a glimpse of what you can expect as cascading light, brilliant flashes and, low-level details within the image look terrific. The plethora of exchanges such as Rory’s accidental use of the Alien weapon on Halloween or the Predator encounter at the crashed ship show off high dynamic range’s ability to create eye catching and lifelike image reproduction. The film’s variety of low-level scenes and/or the nighttime exteriors benefited as well, providing interstitial blacks, and resolvable details in backgrounds that enriched dimension. The film utilizes sepia, and an overall cooler chromatic aesthetic, that appears faithfully reproduced in Ultra HD.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects is a mix atmospherics, discrete effects and music. This is done to very good effect and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. During the first act, there are several instances where the mix generates a noticeable improvement in dimension and depth of field. Beginning with the crash, followed by the Predator encounter at the lab and what followed, there are a host of sounds that utilize the overhead channels, creating a wonderfully immersive, and involving listening experience. This continues with the film’s heavier action-based sequences, such as the standoff at the crash site followed by the final battle, that convey the breadth/expanse of the soundstage as the track bristles with enveloping ambience and discretely placed effects.

While these sequences sound very good in the standard mix, they are taken to the next level in the Amos mix. Overall, I would say that viewing The Predator in Ultra HD with the Dolby Atmos mix definitely heightened the experience of watching the film.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 96

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

The Predator comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound.

This film has an intentionally dark and reserved chromatic visual style that doesn’t lend itself to vibrant colors and glossy video quality. There are instances where brighter colors/elements are utilized and the boldly applied contrast allows them to pop visually. Otherwise onscreen images lean toward darker imagery that provides the thematic look intended to drive the story’s components. This is done to good effect. Shadow delineation is excellent overall and revealing of visible details within dark backgrounds and low lighting. Stable contrast and deep blacks allow scenes containing mixed content to appear gradationally satisfying with crisp whites and dynamic highlights. Resolution is discerning as images are characterized by intricate and definitively rendered detail that gives the video appreciable dimension and delineated texture. This is a solid high definition presentation that looked great on my large screen.

This lossless soundtrack is excellent and features wide dynamic range, superlative clarity and high-level detail. Dialog is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel as it is located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within the acoustic space it occupies in the soundstage. Front and rear channel imaging is excellent. This draws out both large and small sound elements and allows their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable.

The music score, coupled with the integration of discrete and atmospheric surround sound effects, plays an intricate role in this active surround mix. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. The atmospheric effects associated with the various environments featured in the story sound engagingly real. Low frequency effects are applied authoritatively and underscore the audio presentation with aplomb. Its palpable presence is never in question as it renders refined bass quality that kicks nicely and extends deep enough to engage the room.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: The Predator Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: The Predator Blu-ray
    • Deleted Scenes
    • A Touch of Black
    • Predator Evolution
    • The Takedown Team
    • Predator Catch-Up
    • Gallery
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Co-written by director Shane Black The Predator is a hit or miss affair that probably musters enough merit to qualify as a watchable entry in the film series. It comes to Blu-ray in the Ultra HD Combo Pack from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring rewarding Ultra HD video, excellent high definition video/audio quality, including a complimentary Dolby Atmos immersive mix, and a middling supplemental package. The Predator doesn’t have the chops to stand beside the best we’ve seen from the franchise but, I found it mildly entertaining which makes it worth checking out on Ultra HD/Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
dnoonie, gbaby, darthray and 1 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-18-2018, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I enjoy this franchise, especially 1 and 2, great characters to buy into in both. I may buy the box just to have those two in UHD.
post #3 of 26 Old 12-18-2018, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 453
I found audio on the the mix really weak -- Cant remember too many times over the yrs Ralph where I thought we had different discs😊
track seemed to really lack punch in a lot of scenes - expecially found weapon ememic at times.
Ralph Potts likes this.

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 12-18-2018, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Saw this in theaters. Absolutely love Predator 1 and 2; however, this....whatever it is, doesn't belong in the predator universe. I honestly think AVP made more sense than this movie. Characters came across and one-dimensional caricatures; the main "bad guy" was a joke. And just when I thought I've seen the worst of it....the ending happened; all I can say is I want to shout-out a huge "thank you!" to the guy couple of rows back behind me who exclaimed "what the F!!?" during the certain ending scene, he had the cojones to say what I was thinking at the time.

Living Room-Sony 65" XBR900E, Denon X3300W, Nvidia SHIELD. 5.1.2-Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE L/R, CMT-340Center, HTM-200SE Surround, RSL C34E Atmos, Sealed DA UM18 Sub.
"Micro Theater"-Optoma UHD51A, DIY 120" Spandex AT Screen, Denon X4400H, Sony UBP-800X, Nvidia SHIELD. 7.2.4 (planned)- DIYSG HTM-10 LCR, XX Surround, RSL C34E Atmos ,Marty MicroCube 15" DA 390HO.
post #5 of 26 Old 12-18-2018, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I saw this at a movie screening for free and I wanted my money back lol
post #6 of 26 Old 12-18-2018, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
I found audio on the the mix really weak -- Cant remember too many times over the yrs Ralph where I thought we had different discs😊
track seemed to really lack punch in a lot of scenes - expecially found weapon ememic at times.
Greetings,

Darn it!

The first two acts would have received a lower rating however, I felt that the final act brought things up a notch. We'll connect on the next one!

Merry Christmas!

Regards,
GPBURNS likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 26 Old 12-19-2018, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Thanks for the review!

I really enjoyed the original, first sequel was decent too.

I've got this one in my rental queue on a low priority.

Cheers
Ralph Potts likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #8 of 26 Old 12-19-2018, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I found your summation very accurate, RP, thx...I did find it entertaining, however don't forget to check your brain @ the door.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
DeadEd likes this.

Marantz SR7011: 7.3.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: F/L/SBR/SBL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SL/SR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Def Tech ProMon 1000 (4: Dolby Atmos) Epson 6040UB/Elite Lunette 2 120"
post #9 of 26 Old 12-19-2018, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If i were in the business and someone pitched a Predator movie to me as "When a young boy accidentally triggers the universe’s most lethal hunters’ return to Earth, only a ragtag crew of ex-soldiers and a disgruntled scientist can prevent the end of the human race" I would say nope, try again.
post #10 of 26 Old 12-19-2018, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Ralph thanks for your review, but this movie was by far the worst in the series. Olivia Munn's character went from nerdy biologist to full blown hard as nails predator hunter in a blink of an eye lol. The fact that they attempted to insert, what I describe as cornball humor, made it even worse. The ending just made me want to vomit in disgust lol.

DISPLAYS - Sony XBR-75X900F, Sony XBR-55X900E, Samsung 55 KU6500
AVR - Denon X4400h, Audiosource, 7.2.4, Sony X9000f soundbar
SPEAKERS - Athena Audition Series 7.1 speakers, 4 ceiling mounted Polk Audio OWM3, BIC F12 subwoofer
SOURCE - HTPC, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Apple 4K Tv, Roku Ultra, Nvidia Shield Tv
post #11 of 26 Old 12-19-2018, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 568
No idea what to expect going into this one other than the usual amazing OLED PQ. I picked up the trilogy 4k set earlier this year and picked this one up yesterday.

Will post back with my thoughts after I view this one.

Thanks for the review Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Panasonic GH5 with 42.5mm f1.2 & 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 lenses
post #12 of 26 Old 12-19-2018, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 67
ok i admit, i LIKED it!
The picture quality was unreal on my 65A1E OLED, the Dolby Atmos was rocking and rolling (surprisingly) .

Fun popcorn flick, some cheesy CGI but overall it was fun.

Sony 65 A1E / Yamaha 1050
PSB Imagine X2T Towers / C Centre / 1B 's Front Presence
Martin Logan Motion 10 (Surrounds)
SVS PB 1000
X-box One X / PS4 Pro w PSVR
post #13 of 26 Old 12-19-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 2141
Thanks for the review Ralph. Olivia Munn's character was kickass in this, the big Gen 2 predator was fun too. The hunt has evolved.....
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #14 of 26 Old 12-19-2018, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 516
As always Ralph, thanks for the review. I do look forward to them and they do influence my purchase decisions, for instance I bought A House with a Clock in its Walls based upon your review scores and I like family movies.

However, this is one of the worst movies I’ve seen recently. Even you couldn’t sell me on this one.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Nabs17
post #15 of 26 Old 12-20-2018, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
As always Ralph, thanks for the review. I do look forward to them and they do influence my purchase decisions, for instance I bought A House with a Clock in its Walls based upon your review scores and I like family movies.

However, this is one of the worst movies I’ve seen recently. Even you couldn’t sell me on this one.
Greetings,

I hear ya Nabs17 although, with a film rating of 2.5 I wasn't pushing it very hard.

Thanks for reading and Merry Christmas!

Regards,
Nabs17 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #16 of 26 Old 12-20-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Windsor View Post
ok i admit, i LIKED it!
The picture quality was unreal on my 65A1E OLED, the Dolby Atmos was rocking and rolling (surprisingly) .

Fun popcorn flick, some cheesy CGI but overall it was fun.
This was indeed a pleasure to watch on OLED and the Atmos track didn't disappoint.
Ralph Potts and darthray like this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #17 of 26 Old 12-25-2018, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 2429
First, I would like to wish everyone. A merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

While I just finish watching this one, I had no clue it was coming out.
Found out only this morning, when my Wife gave it to me as stocking stuffer

While it was not taking itself as serious, as some previous ones.
It was a very fun ride. Many plot holes, but there was many moment's that both my Wife and I add a good laugh for some very well, integrated humor (the thumb-up, come in mind for an example)
In another word, this one was different. But glad to add-it to my collection.

Sound and picture wise, no complain from this old cat and also did enjoy, this different take on the Predator series.

Ray
shivaji, Ralph Potts and Legairre like this.

Last edited by darthray; 12-25-2018 at 07:38 PM.
post #18 of 26 Old 12-27-2018, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Get out the Milky Ways and have at it. Fun movie.
post #19 of 26 Old 12-28-2018, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Great review, Ralph....definitely on my rental queue only. Like you, I am a fan of the series, overall; however, your review prevented me from making what might have been a wasted blind buy (and getting another eye roll from the better half!).
Ralph Potts likes this.

Ptree:

Sometimes, it's only afterwards, I find that I'm not there.
post #20 of 26 Old 12-28-2018, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsis View Post
Great review, Ralph....definitely on my rental queue only. Like you, I am a fan of the series, overall; however, your review prevented me from making what might have been a wasted blind buy (and getting another eye roll from the better half!).
Greetings,

Glad to help Rob..

Regards,
robsis likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #21 of 26 Old 12-30-2018, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The problem I have with several of these Predator movies is we have to forget most of what we've ever known before. Predator to Predator 2 with Danny Glover articulated well. The rest? While this one demands we remember the previous time line by taking us back throughout the entire movie to the "stuff" collected from previous Predators it then insists we believe no one beyond just a handful of insiders knows anything about any of it having ever existed. Its very odd.

It also kinda out funnies itself from actually being funny.
post #22 of 26 Old 12-30-2018, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 85
started off ok but then i forgot i was watching predator and more like jurassic park, its like they tried to make a family film out of the predator
post #23 of 26 Old 01-05-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Nice review Ralph. I watched the trailer you posted, and I thought the picture was excellent even in the dark scene. No stylized picture here. I may purchase it.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #24 of 26 Old 01-05-2019, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Surprised no one has mentioned pushing the global warming agenda...
post #25 of 26 Old 01-12-2019, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I rented this from Netflix on 1080P Blu-Ray and really enjoyed it. I was impressed by the sound with the Neural X upmixer. The bass in particular was awesome. The picture quality was outstanding considering this is a dark film. I had watched the original Predator movie on movie channel and enjoyed it. I definitely must purchase this and the original on 4K UHD BLU-RAY.
post #26 of 26 Old 01-12-2019, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Just watched this tonight with my dad, we both found quite entertaining.
The humor broke up the gory scenes a bit.
One nit-pic I have.

I can understand that this is Sci-Fi fiction, but I think certain things have to make sense even in Hollywood; when it comes to electricity why can't they get things like that right.
Why did they let the viewer even see this, it just would have worked if they would have let the audience assume that they had a generator, but putting jumper cables up to an electric fence the way they did isn't going to do anything, especially an un-insulated chain link fence, it's not even a proper electric fence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews