66Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 12-12-2018, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Venom Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this fantasy action adventure from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, in association with Marvel, that tells the evolution story of “Venom” and his alter ego Eddie Brock.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Columbia Pictures - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 112 minutes
Genre: Fantasy/Action

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, English/French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French DTS 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Tom Hardy, Michelle Williams, Riz Ahmed, Scott Haze, Reid Scott
Directed by: Ruben Fleischer
Music by: Ludwig Goransson
Written by: Jeff Pinker, Scott Rosenberg, Kelly Marcel
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: December 18, 2018

"The World has Enough Superheroes"

Synopsis:

“Eddie Brock (Tom Hardy) is a broken man after he loses everything including his job and fiancee. Just when his life is at its lowest, he becomes host to an alien symbiote which results in extraordinary superpowers - transforming him into Venom. Will these powers be enough for this new lethal protector to defeat great evil forces, especially against the far stronger and more weaponized symbiote rival, Riot?” – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

My Take:

I must admit that my knowledge of Venom and extremely limited. By the time his character was introduced in the Marvel Comic Universe, my days of reading comics was well over. That isn’t to say that I had never heard of him prior to seeing his appearance in Spider-Man 3 but, his backstory and evolution weren’t something I was intimately familiar with.

I wasn’t particularly drawn to seeing Venom when it was released in theaters, especially given its poor critical reviews and the tepid reactions I heard from friends that had seen it. I did however want to see it and, give it its due as part of the Marvel film canon. I wasn’t especially impressed with the scope of the storyline. I mean, for an origin story, its relative elements are scant and the connective tissue with respect to past or future events in the Marvel Cinematic Universe are noticeably absent. Not to mention there isn’t a single reference to Spidey. Anyway, the plot is simple, almost too much so, and the character base is sorely lacking both in development and depth, save for Eddie and his new friend.

I thought that there was ample room for a better story, given the subject matter and, the number of characters introduced but, it really never got off of the ground. The “bad guys” especially “Riot” aren’t onscreen long enough to matter which makes the outcome of events less emphatic. Eddie’s personal relationships are tossed in which negatively impacts his acceptance as a sympathetic character with something to lose. I did like Venom though. He made no bones about reasons for doing things and I didn’t mind the banter he and Eddie shared over the course of the film.

The production elements were excellent and the action was decent enough to make you feel as though you were watching a superhero-based fantasy film. The film’s runtime is 112 minutes but, only 92 minutes of that is the primary film. The remainder is the credits, a brief after credit clip, and lastly a sneak peek of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

At the end of the day Venom feels like an incomplete film. Some I liked, some I didn’t, as it felt like something stitched together from random thoughts rather than a cohesive origin story that lived up to its subject material. I didn’t hate it but, it would be fair to say that it left me wanting.

Replay Value: 3 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action and for language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 96

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 92

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Venom comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

Venom was shot digitally, derived from a mix of 2.8K and 8 K sources, and from what I can tell, was rendered from a 4K DI for its presentation in Ultra HD.

The 1080p transfer looks solid and this Ultra HD rendering takes it up a notch with a discernible increase in detail, and emboldened highlights, both light and dark. The film has a multitude of sequences containing either fiery explosions, streaming /cascading light, and mixed light dark elements, that look terrific. The extended chase during chapter 9 was the presentation’s highlight from an HDR perspective. At times this can be a somewhat darkish film, and its low-level sequences had excellent depth and dimension. The sequences that incorporate elements of brilliant light, are bright enough that it caused me to squint. The use of shadows mixed with light looked very natural as well. The scene where Eddie/Venom take on the police in the lobby is a great example of this.

The film utilizes a predominantly monochromatic scheme, with splashes of color, that appears faithfully reproduced in Ultra HD. The nature of the photography didn't always allow the wide color gamut to shine but it was noticeable in the costumes, city lights, and makeup, worn by several of the characters. Close ups reveal oodles of fine detail and textures, that imparted a reach out and touch aesthetic. Looking at the presentation as a whole I would say that it makes for a distinct improvement when compared to the 1080p Blu-ray rendering.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

In comparing the DV and HDR-10 renderings I ran the same scenes using my reference Oppo UHD player (both in DV and forced HDR-10 and Samsung UHD player (HDR-10 only). The title looked terrific on both formats with respect to the reproduction of HDR. I felt that the DV presentation offered better handling of the finest details in shadows, improved delineation in specular highlights and slightly better gradations in variants of gray. You can’t go wrong with either but, my preference for viewing would be the Dolby Vision version.

Dolby Atmos:

Venom has an excellent 5.1 channel surround mix on Blu-ray, so I wondered how much the immersive experience would improve upon it. In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that made effective use of the platform. Its use of audio objects is a mix atmospherics, discrete effects and ambient music bleed. This creates an appreciable level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events.

Beginning with the film’s opening, there instances where the mix generates a noticeable improvement in dimension and depth of field as the track conveys the breadth/expanse of interiors and exterior venues. Things ramp up when the action kicks as the soundstage bristles with enveloping ambience and discretely placed effects. The aforementioned chase and encounter with the police in the lobby are good examples. While these sequences sound very good in the standard 5.1, they are taken to the next level in the Amos mix.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 96

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Venom comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This film has an intentionally dark and reserved chromatic visual style that doesn’t lend itself to vibrant colors and overtly glossy video quality. There are instances where brighter colors/elements are utilized and the boldly applied contrast allows them to pop visually. Otherwise onscreen images lean toward imagery that provides the thematic look intended to drive the story’s components. This is done to good effect. Shadow delineation is excellent overall and revealing of visible details within dark backgrounds and low lighting. Stable contrast and deep blacks allow scenes containing mixed content to appear gradationally satisfying with crisp whites and dynamic highlights. Resolution is discerning as images are characterized by intricate and definitively rendered detail that gives the video appreciable dimension and delineated texture. This is a solid high definition presentation that looked great on my large screen.

The lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack has solid dynamic range, detail rich clarity, and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich and, room shuddering bass associated with the action-based sequences. Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel and renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction. I enjoyed this audio presentation and thought that it mated perfectly with the source material.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Venom Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Venom Blu-ray
    • Venom Mode: When selecting this mode the film will engage informative pop-ups throughout the film to provide insight on the movie’s relationship to the comics, and to reveal hidden references that even a seasoned Venom-fan may have missed!
    • Deleted & Extended Scenes: These deleted and extended scenes will give fans even more of the Venom action they loved in theaters!
    o Ride to Hospital – Eddie and Venom take a ride to the hospital.
    o Car Alarm – Let’s just say that Venom is not fond of car alarms.
    o San Quentin – Extended post-credits scene at San Quentin.
    • From Symbiote to Screen: A mini documentary about the history of Venom in comics and his journey to the big screen. Interviews with Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, Ruben Fleischer, Oliver Scholl, and Director and Comic Fanboy Kevin Smith.
    • The Lethal Protector in Action: Go behind the scenes with the production crew and learn the secrets behind the awesome Motorcycle stunts, wire stunts, and drones.
    • Venom Vision: A look at how Ruben Fleischer came to the project, gathered his team, and made Venom a reality. Utilizes interviews from cast, crew, and producers as well as Fleischer himself.
    • Designing Venom: Designing and creating Venom meant a huge challenge for VFX artists; follow the amazing journey.
    • Symbiote Secrets: Blink and you may have missed it! Enjoy the hidden references throughout the film.
    • 8 Select Scenes Pre-Vis sequences: See the progression of the visual effects, storyboards and fight chorography compared to the finished film.
    • “Venom” by Eminem – Music Video
    • “Sunflower” by Post Malone, Swae Lee (From Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)
    • Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sneak Peek: Meanwhile in another universe…
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Venom doesn’t live up to the potential of its subject matter, suffering from a muddled script that doesn’t reach deep enough to support its thematic tone. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Combo Pack that delivers excellent overall image quality, which includes Dolby Vision HDR, top notch lossless surround sound, featuring a solid Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix, and a fan friendly assortment of bonus materials that are worth exploring. Venom feels like a missed opportunity, but it looks and sounds great on Blu-ray, which may make it worth considering for Marvel fans and enthusiasts.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 12-12-2018, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Thanks for the review Ralph. I too had heard negative things about the story line and figured id wait till it came home. I own all the other major Marvel and Marvel Universe movies so Im going to pick this one up too. Was relieved to see your opinion on the audio was positive. Excited to give it a spin.
tenthplanet and Ralph Potts like this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/Sony/Denon/Oppo/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest

Last edited by Reddig; 12-13-2018 at 06:03 PM.
post #3 of 44 Old 12-12-2018, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Thanks for the review!
In my rental queue, I might just pass on the purchase.

Cheers,
Ralph Potts likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 12-12-2018, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I'll check it out.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Spoiler!
post #5 of 44 Old 12-12-2018, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
Thanks for the review!
In my rental queue, I might just pass on the purchase.

Cheers,
It's never a bad idea to rent first, if you love it then you can wait till a price drop to buy the disc.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #6 of 44 Old 12-12-2018, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 2141
Thanks for the review Ralph I've seen this and like it and will grab a copy after Christmas.
Ralph Potts and JeffR1 like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #7 of 44 Old 12-13-2018, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 469
I thought the picture quality was pretty good and expected higher than 92.
post #8 of 44 Old 12-13-2018, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I thought the picture quality was pretty good and expected higher than 92.
Greetings,

A "pretty good" picture could certainly be a 92.

Not that there is anything wrong with a 92 which is low reference quality on my rating scale. No worries it won't disappoint.

Regards,
darthray likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #9 of 44 Old 12-13-2018, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Not that there is anything wrong with a 92 which is low reference quality on my rating scale. No worries it won't disappoint.

Regards,

Sorry Ralph, didn't mean to imply that it was not a good rating. Just from your standards, similar quality are rated a little higher. Always look forward to your ratings, you are usually spot on with my preference.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #10 of 44 Old 12-13-2018, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Venom isn't part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe which is why you didn't see much connecting it to the other movies. Spider-Man currently is part of the MCU which is probably why they didn't mention him.
post #11 of 44 Old 12-13-2018, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Sorry Ralph, didn't mean to imply that it was not a good rating. Just from your standards, similar quality are rated a little higher. Always look forward to your ratings, you are usually spot on with my preference.
Greetings,

No need to apologize blee0120. I knew what you meant and was just ribbing you a little. Thanks for reading!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #12 of 44 Old 12-13-2018, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post
Venom isn't part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe which is why you didn't see much connecting it to the other movies. Spider-Man currently is part of the MCU which is probably why they didn't mention him.
Greetings,

I get that Wayne. Just felt the need to mention it given the "association" with Marvel at the film's beginning and, of course Venom's connection to Spider-Man. Thanks!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #13 of 44 Old 12-13-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 2429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Regards,
Very much agree on this one, your rating are a lot more picky than mine.

Thank You for another very detail review. I will buy this one blind, since so far. I like all those types of movies. And this one have good review for the Audio and Picture ratings.
Even if I never read any of Marvel Comic Universe comic magazine. Since it might help to enjoy the movie for what it-is, without seeing the flaws within a character

Ray
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 12-13-2018 at 08:30 AM.
post #14 of 44 Old 12-13-2018, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1892 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
I got a chance to view the 1080p HD version last weekend, I kept looking at my watch wondering when it would end. Terrible writing and plot lines. glad I didn't pay for this.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Afro GT
post #15 of 44 Old 12-13-2018, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 481
I'm curious if this will be another "The Meg" for me--where I think I enjoyed it so much on the first viewing just because I had extremely low expectations but I find the 2nd viewing almost unbearable. Like The Meg, I enjoyed Venom much more than I thought I would, but if is far from a perfect film. At any rate, it should be a good one for the home theater.
post #16 of 44 Old 12-14-2018, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2029 Post(s)
Liked: 1960
A year ago I would have bought this simply for the audio video ratings. It’s nice we actually have reference movies that have replay value. Good review, Ralph.
Ralph Potts and TravisPNW like this.
post #17 of 44 Old 12-14-2018, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked: 5501
I bought the UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos quality version of Venom today and watched it this evening. Thanks in large part to low expectations, I was pleasantly surprised and ended up liking the film a lot. It looked great and sounded even better. Its Atmos audio was especially impressive. Pay particular attention to the opening scene depicting the crash of the reentry vehicle. It sounded sweet.

I was left scratching my head when the credits started with the film having 21 minutes left to run. The problem was moderated a bit by a couple of easter eggs, which ran for a total of about five minutes. Still, that's a lot of credits.

Bottom line, I was well entertained and thought my money had been well spent. Recommended. 8 Stars out of 10.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #18 of 44 Old 12-15-2018, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 570
I'm a sucker for reference quality films for my HT. I don't buy each and every one... but I'm biting here.

Thanks for all the comments and for the review Ralph! Will be picking this one up Tuesday.
gwsat and Ralph Potts like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Panasonic GH5 with 42.5mm f1.2 & 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 lenses
post #19 of 44 Old 12-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I guess I was the odd one out and enjoyed it at the theater. I am going to wait till the price drops before purchasing. Thanks for the review, sorry it left you wanting a little more. I would of enjoyed a few more battles in the story, maybe if we had seen Riot and Venom earlier expressing their distaste for one another to lead into the final confrontation.
dnoonie and Ralph Potts like this.
post #20 of 44 Old 12-18-2018, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Well this blows, here I am getting ready to watch this, this weekend and it's not released in Canada until January the 8th !
If you're in Germany, not until April, 2019 !

What gives with these stupid dates, they finally got rid of the silly region coding, why bother with the different dates, very annoying ?!
post #21 of 44 Old 12-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 72
"a distinct improvement when compared to the 1080p Blu-ray"

That is one of the strongest worded comparisons that I can remember seeing. I've been looking for a movie where 4K is an obvious improvement over the accompanying blu-ray so that I can do an A/B comparison for friends. Prove to them that my insistence on 4K content is actually worth it!

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
post #22 of 44 Old 12-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Loved the soundtrack on this- reference all around
Ralph Potts likes this.

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #23 of 44 Old 12-18-2018, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 486
"So Many Snacks So Little Time" - this movie has a sense of humor that i wasn't expecting. Hardy is fun in a different kind of role and is well-cast. As far as sound and bass, this movie will rock your HT.
post #24 of 44 Old 12-19-2018, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Cool

[quote=Orbitron;57292790]"So Many Snacks So Little Time" - this movie has a sense of humor that i wasn't expecting. Hardy is fun in a different kind of role and is well-cast. As far as sound and bass, this movie will rock your HT.[/quot

The soundtrack is awesome, Venom's voice is deep and powerful. Fully immersive, Funny and a great set-up for the next chapter. I can't wait, I loved this movie!!!! Saw it on a Blu-ray rental, will purchase tomorrow.
Ralph Potts likes this.

1) Polk Audio LSI 9 and matching center
2) RSL CG4 (side speakers)
3) SVS PB13 Ultra subwoofer
4)Onyko TX-SR705 receiver,Outlaw 7125 amplifier
5) Sony UBP X800 Ultra Blu-ray Player & Panasonic 55" Plasma

Last edited by alwaller; 12-19-2018 at 03:09 PM.
post #25 of 44 Old 12-19-2018, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked: 5501
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
"So Many Snacks So Little Time" - this movie has a sense of humor that i wasn't expecting. Hardy is fun in a different kind of role and is well-cast. As far as sound and bass, this movie will rock your HT.
The soundtrack is awesome, Venom's voice is deep and powerful. Fully immersive, Funny and a great set-up for the next chapter. I can't wait, I loved this movie!!!! Saw it on a Blu-ray rental, will purchase tomorrow.
Because of how thoroughly the critics abused Venom I had assumed, wrongly in the event, that the film was a box office failure too. Not so. According to Box Office Mojo, the film grossed $200 million plus domestically on a $100 million budget and its foreign gross was an insane $640 million plus. This leads me to suspect that we might get a sequel. I hope so.
Ralph Potts likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #26 of 44 Old 12-19-2018, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Word is Hardy will reprise his role along with love interest Williams.
alwaller likes this.
post #27 of 44 Old 12-20-2018, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Thanks for the great review Ralph. I watched this last night - the house was rocking from the soundtrack! Great looking movie. Totally enjoyed it.
This movie will definitely get multiple viewings. Tom Hardy and the cast were great. This movie has already grossed $854 million.

Ray
Ralph Potts and alwaller like this.

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.
post #28 of 44 Old 12-20-2018, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I saw this movie twice in theaters. They almost certainly did additional audio work after it's release. There is a lot more going on in the sound than was in the theatrical release, especially Venom.

Also to note in the theatrical version they had a wilhelm scream, you can even hear it in their first clip they released

You can even see some color work and changes have been done. This is from Sony themselves. The first clip is certainly what the theatrical sound was more like and visually looked like.

post #29 of 44 Old 12-22-2018, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 160
the movie was a hoot! LOVED IT. Especially every time Venom spoke. Never heard anything quite like it in my theater.

Definite multiple viewings ahead on this one.

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Marantz AV7702, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Geek Pulse DAC, NVidia Shield
post #30 of 44 Old 12-22-2018, 09:00 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2536 Post(s)
Liked: 3110
Wow, even going in with low expectations, this movie was still awful for me.

Audio/bass was a lot of fun though and the only reason I didn't shut it off.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews