post #31 of 44 Old 12-23-2018, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
the movie was a hoot! LOVED IT. Especially every time Venom spoke. Never heard anything quite like it in my theater.

Definite multiple viewings ahead on this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Wow, even going in with low expectations, this movie was still awful for me.

Audio/bass was a lot of fun though and the only reason I didn't shut it off.

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions guys! This is another example of how subjective entertainment can be. Not right or wrong, just different.

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 12-23-2018, 06:40 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2536 Post(s)
Liked: 3110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions guys! This is another example of how subjective entertainment can be. Not right or wrong, just different.

Regards,
I couldn't agree more! Whenever someone asks my opinion about a movie or music, I will commonly say after I tell them my thoughts, to watch and/or listen and decide for yourself. Art of any form is incredibly subjective and can speak to each individual in different ways as you mention.

Hopefully my post didnt come off as offensive. I respect everyone's opinions no matter if I agree or not for the above reasons.

Merry Christmas Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #33 of 44 Old 12-23-2018, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
I couldn't agree more! Whenever someone asks my opinion about a movie or music, I will commonly say after I tell them my thoughts, to watch and/or listen and decide for yourself. Art of any form is incredibly subjective and can speak to each individual in different ways as you mention.

Hopefully my post didnt come off as offensive. I respect everyone's opinions no matter if I agree or not for the above reasons.

Merry Christmas Ralph!
I took no offense. We are all different in what we do and do not like. I was actually quite surprised that I enjoyed this movie as much as I did

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts and Toe like this.

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Marantz AV7702, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Geek Pulse DAC, NVidia Shield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 12-23-2018, 08:45 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2536 Post(s)
Liked: 3110
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
I took no offense. We are all different in what we do and do not like. I was actually quite surprised that I enjoyed this movie as much as I did

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Off topic, sorry......

Just noticed your using the 2.8 HP screen same as me. Us HP guys along with Zombie, DejaVu, etc....need to stick together as we're a dying breed! I love this screen!
Ralph Potts and edfowler like this.
post #35 of 44 Old 12-23-2018, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I thoroughly enjoyed Venom. It doesn't contain the incessant insipid one-liners of Deadpool but has just the right amount of snark. Who doesn't enjoy a badass ALF. I thought the plot was decent and Tom Hardy's acting great. I haven't been a huge fan of the recent string of Marvel movies as they lack the fun I found in Venom. The movie Upgrade is my favorite of the action movies this year and Venom is certainly up there. Can't say anything about the 4K disc video or audio as I rented the DVD (It upscaled beautifully and the sound was great).
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #36 of 44 Old 12-23-2018, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Off topic, sorry......

Just noticed your using the 2.8 HP screen same as me. Us HP guys along with Zombie, DejaVu, etc....need to stick together as we're a dying breed! I love this screen!
One more off topic and I promise no more...on this thread. The HP2.8 was another thing that I didn't expect to like but ended up loving. I thought the gain would raise the black floor and make the blacks look washed out but the gain actually increased the perceived contrast making the blacks look blacker to me. Now back to the regularly scheduled program. Sorry Ralph.

Still loved Venom. Hope I can talk my wife in to watching it with me next time I spool it up.
Toe likes this.

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Marantz AV7702, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Geek Pulse DAC, NVidia Shield
post #37 of 44 Old 12-31-2018, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
Thanks for the review!
In my rental queue, I might just pass on the purchase.

Cheers,
I watched this last night and found it generally entertaining...This is not the best Marvel installment. Boringly predictable but, it was fun and the sound was great which is what kept me watching. The best my Netflix rental had to offer for sound was DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, in general it sounded great but at times seemed to suffer a bit of loudness wars type compression. It gave my subs a workout for sure.

I may purchase the UHD in the future at a deep discount just to complete my Marvel set. Perhaps on a 2019 BF deal.

Cheers,
rboster and Ralph Potts like this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #38 of 44 Old 12-31-2018, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
I watched this last night and found it generally entertaining...This is not the best Marvel installment. Boringly predictable but, it was fun and the sound was great which is what kept me watching. The best my Netflix rental had to offer for sound was DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, in general it sounded great but at times seemed to suffer a bit of loudness wars type compression. It gave my subs a workout for sure.

I may purchase the UHD in the future at a deep discount just to complete my Marvel set. Perhaps on a 2019 BF deal.

Cheers,
Your review summed the film up for me. More entertaining than I thought it would be (went in with low expectations). The romantic relationship didn't work (no chemistry).....really awkward in some scenes. But, Hardy is Hardy...he can make any film watchable.

Sound and image, with the guilty pleasure vibe would lead me to pick this up cheap down the road. I would say the same about the "Predator" remake, as guilty pleasure fun with great sound and image.
Ralph Potts and dnoonie like this.
post #39 of 44 Old 12-31-2018, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Big long tongue that puts KISS to shame too goofy for me.
post #40 of 44 Old 01-08-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1837 Post(s)
Liked: 2429
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Very much agree on this one, your rating are a lot more picky than mine.

Thank You for another very detail review. I will buy this one blind, since so far. I like all those types of movies. And this one have good review for the Audio and Picture ratings.
Even if I never read any of Marvel Comic Universe comic magazine. Since it might help to enjoy the movie for what it-is, without seeing the flaws within a character

Ray
Today was the release day, here in Canada. Got my copy, and will give-it a spin soon.
And post my impressions after viewing-it. The short and dirty version, as usual

Ray
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #41 of 44 Old 01-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I saw this as rental from Netflix on Blu-Ray. I will admit I got plenty of bass from this one. I used the Dolby Surround upmixer to simulate heights but it was not that immersive as I imagined the ATMOS mix sounded. I make it as a rule to watch the ending credits of all movies and surprised this had plenty more to show. I can imagine people watching this in theaters leaving as soon as credits rolled they would loose so much. I never read the comics but did enjoy the story. I am looking forward to the next installment.
darthray likes this.
post #42 of 44 Old 01-12-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 1531
Hey Ralph,

Your PQ and AQ score prompted me to rent this today. I agree 100% with your analysis on both the PQ and AQ...they were awesome!! And I'm talking about the rented 1080p version.

I also enjoyed the film...it was, to echo the words of another member, "a hoot!" I've always liked Tom Hardy and I thought his acting/character carried the movie. Was it "endless mind drivel?" Yep! Will it ever win an Oscar? Nope! But it was thoroughly entertaining with fantastic CGI. And again, the PQ/AQ were to-die-for.

Denny
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sony XBR75X940D...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Sony CDP-C725...Roku Premiere Plus

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 01-12-2019 at 06:54 PM.
post #43 of 44 Old 01-13-2019, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Hey Ralph,

Your PQ and AQ score prompted me to rent this today. I agree 100% with your analysis on both the PQ and AQ...they were awesome!! And I'm talking about the rented 1080p version.

I also enjoyed the film...it was, to echo the words of another member, "a hoot!" I've always liked Tom Hardy and I thought his acting/character carried the movie. Was it "endless mind drivel?" Yep! Will it ever win an Oscar? Nope! But it was thoroughly entertaining with fantastic CGI. And again, the PQ/AQ were to-die-for.

Denny
Greetings,

Sweet! Glad to hear it Denny..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #44 of 44 Old 01-13-2019, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1837 Post(s)
Liked: 2429
Just finish to watch this one.

Overall, both my wife and I like-it.
It was a fun ride, and well pace between the many actions scenes and the story.

The sound was very good, so was the picture.
Even the night scenes were very good, on my JVC front projector. Never difficult to figure out what was going on.

I can see a second installment of this new franchise, and will buy the second also blind. If and when it come

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 01-13-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews