• 1 Post By pkeegan

post #1 of 16 Old 11-28-2018, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Searching Blu-ray Review

Dive deep into the virtual world of social media with a mystery-thriller for the digital age. Searching offers a unique take on society’s pervasive use of technology, inspired by the connection between parent and child in the Internet age.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 102 minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: John Cho, Debra Messing, Michelle La
Directed by: Aneesh Chaganty
Music by: Torin Borrowdale
Written by: Aneesh Chaganty, Sev Ohanian
Region Code: A

Release Date: November 27, 2018

"No One is Lost Without a Trace"

My Take:

After David Kim (John Cho)’s 16-year-old daughter goes missing, a local investigation is opened and a detective is assigned to the case. But 37 hours later and without a single lead, David decides to search the one place no one has looked yet, where all secrets are kept today: his daughter’s laptop. In a hyper-modern thriller told via the technology devices we use every day to communicate, David must trace his daughter’s digital footprints before she disappears forever.

Searching is the feature film debut for writer-director Aneesh Chaganty, and writer-producer Sev Ohanian. It’s a mystery/thriller that follows a determined father that will stop at no lengths to find his missing daughter, as he must resort to exploring her social media accounts, emails, pictures, videos and more to aid in the police investigation. Not unlike other films in its genre Searching sets up the story, main characters and begins peeling back the layers of the mystery.

I liked the establishment of David’s character and the personal story surrounding his family and their connection. This lent credence to the film’s emotional center. Early on, I found the unfolding plot to be completely absorbing. As it progressed, I began to see cracks in the plausibility of critical narrative elements, one of which led me to jokingly guess the mystery’s outcome. Be that as it may, Searching worked at keeping you on the hook, unsure of exactly how things would end up, keeping the audience connected to the plight of a desperate father, whose hopes were pinned to only what he could find via use of the internet/technology. I think the effective use of the “technological” aspect combined with the story’s social media spin, integrated with the elements of drama/mystery, were creatively used and aided the films thematic tone. John Cho and Debra Messing gave strong performances which elevated the enjoyment of the film.

Searching is a refreshing and well-executed mystery thriller that makes effective and engaging use of the cyber spin to underscore its themes.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic content, some drug and sexual references, and for language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 82
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Searching comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

The visual style of this film is less traditional and appeared to be digitally sourced. Images are lucid, with crisp definition, gratifying levels of color, stable contrast and punchy blacks. The simulated lower resolution camera footage was noticeably softer but, was certainly clear enough to get the job done. I had no real complaints with the video quality and on a whole thought that this presentation looked quite good.

The lossless audio presentation had no trouble conveying the predominantly front loaded elements present in the soundtrack recording. Dialogue reproduction was strong with clear intonation and fair room penetration. The mix did a nice job of handling the various directional cues associated with the simulation of the video chats and computer’s sounds etc. There is some minor off camera and atmosphere creating sounds mixed to various points in the sound field and the effect is neatly blended. Dynamic range, clarity and bass definition is excellent.

Bonus Features:
  • • “Changing The Language Of Cinema”
    • “Update Username: Cast and Characters”
    • “Searching For Easter Eggs”
    • “Audio Commentary with Aneesh Chaganty & Sev Ohanian”
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Searching is the feature film debut for writer-director Aneesh Chaganty, and writer-producer Sev Ohanian and, is a refreshing and well-executed mystery thriller that makes effective and engaging use of the cyber spin to underscore its themes. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring gratifying high definition video, crystal clear lossless sound and a fair supplemental offering. Searching isn’t a wholly rewarding film but, it’s relevant themes and solid performances make for an engaging evening when you’re up for something thought provoking.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
dnoonie likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-28-2018, 01:13 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Well that sucks. I thought there was a new improved method to search for reviews of movies I had interest in.

To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #3 of 16 Old 11-29-2018, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Thanks for the review!

In my rental queue!

Cheers,
Ralph Potts likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 11-29-2018, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Great debut and a name to remember Aneesh Chaganty. Most original movie in years give me movies like this instead of marvel films any day.
Ralph Potts and edved1 like this.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-29-2018, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
Well that sucks. I thought there was a new improved method to search for reviews of movies I had interest in.
Greetings,

Sorry about that. There is the AVS Forum Blu-ray Review Database which makes finding specific reviews easy enough. If you're looking to search by genre etc. then that isn't as simple.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #6 of 16 Old 11-29-2018, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 614
I enjoyed Searching a lot, thanks for the review Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Dedicated HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
post #7 of 16 Old 11-29-2018, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 481
I found myself rolling my eyes at some of the ludicrously implausible plot elements near the end of the film so as a "suspense" film, I found it somewhat lacking. However, as a daddy-daughter drama, it made me feel like The Grinch when his heart starts to melt.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-29-2018, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Ralph, first of all, another great review. I do not know how you do it. If I did as many as you, every review that I produced would sound the same, exactly.

I have never heard of Searching but after your review, I just got back from Redbox with it for tonight.

I'm trying to rent quickly before my mind takes over and wants to buy. I feel a fellow with 1600 movies, has too many and has a habit that has to be toned down.

Ralph Potts likes this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #9 of 16 Old 11-29-2018, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
Ralph, first of all, another great review. I do not know how you do it. If I did as many as you, every review that I produced would sound the same, exactly.

I have never heard of Searching but after your review, I just got back from Redbox with it for tonight.

I'm trying to rent quickly before my mind takes over and wants to buy. I feel a fellow with 1600 movies, has too many and has a habit that has to be toned down.

Greetings,

Thanks Jim. I hope you enjoy it..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #10 of 16 Old 11-30-2018, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 2141
Thanks for the review Ralph. I have seen this and I pretty much agree with you. It's nice to see this format evolve beyond the Unfriended type of films. (Not that anything was wrong with Unfriended...)
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #11 of 16 Old 11-30-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watch it last night and took the disc back to Red Box this morning.

Both my wife and myself enjoyed the movie and how it was presented.

Good movie.

Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.

Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #12 of 16 Old 11-30-2018, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
I enjoyed Searching a lot, thanks for the review Ralph!

I do agree this was a enjoyable and entertaining movie!

I did have my young Social media princess (15 yrs old) watch it to make her realize what realities could be for a young girl in this crazy society we live in today.
post #13 of 16 Old 11-30-2018, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiMike View Post
I do agree this was a enjoyable and entertaining movie!

I did have my young Social media princess (15 yrs old) watch it to make her realize what realities could be for a young girl in this crazy society we live in today.
Excellent idea

post #14 of 16 Old 12-05-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I admittedly have missed out on a lot of great movies so far this year, but back when I saw this in August I called it my favorite film this year.

We'll see if a second viewing maintains such a remark when I hopefully get this for Christmas, especially since I will have seen many more Oscar contenders from now till then.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
post #15 of 16 Old 12-09-2018, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I watched Searching last night and I think Ralph's review is spot on. Hope others enjoy it as well.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #16 of 16 Old 12-29-2018, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Rented this from Netflix and was thoroughly entertained. Thought it was funny how the movie started with a Windows computer and transitioned to Mac OS with all the files transferred over. While the MacBook Air was already in use the user switching screen looked very Windows like. The computer also seemed lightening quick. I liked how this movie kept me guessing until the end. After watching the Easter Eggs special feature I felt more in tune with the movie. I plan on adding this to my blu-ray collection. Debra Messing also played a great role, it was different then seeing her as Grace Adler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews