• 1 Post By bobknavs

post #1 of 27 Old 11-20-2018, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Crazy Rich Asians Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this contemporary romantic comedy, based on a global bestseller, that follows native New Yorker Rachel Chu to Singapore in order to meet her boyfriend's family.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 120 minutes
Genre: Romance/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Constance Wu, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Lisa Lu, Awkwafina, Michelle Yeoh, Ken Jeong
Directed by: Jon M. Chu
Music by: Brian Tyler
Written by: Peter Chiarelli and Adele Lim based on the novel by Kevin Kwan
Region Code: A

Release Date: November 20, 2018

"The Only Thing Crazier Than Love is Family"

My Take:

The story follows New Yorker Rachel Chu (Constance Wu) as she accompanies her longtime boyfriend, Nick Young (Henry Golding), to his best friend’s wedding in Singapore. Excited about visiting Asia for the first time but nervous about meeting Nick’s family, Rachel is unprepared to learn that Nick has neglected to mention a few key details about his life. Not only is he the scion of one of the country’s wealthiest families, but also one of its most sought-after bachelors. Being on Nick’s arm puts a target on Rachel’s back, with jealous socialites and worse, Nick’s own disapproving mother (Michelle Yeoh) taking aim.

Lets face it there just isn’t a lot of diversity in the romantic comedy genre. Anyone hoping for deeply profound meaning and enriching film experiences is most assuredly going to be disappointed. However, those who enjoy simple, lighthearted comedy along with a little romantic melodrama are probably more apt to get the most from them. Generally speaking, I am a fan of the genre but, unless there is a compelling reason to venture out to the theater, I don’t go out of my way to see rom/coms. Crazy Rich Asians is a film that I wanted to take in at the theater but, simply never got around to it. The trailer looked good and the reviews were mostly excellent so I eagerly awaited its arrival for review.

Based on the novel of the same name by Kevin Kwan Crazy Rich Asians is a formulaic romantic comedy spun to a cultural theme. All of the requisite genre ingredients are present and the storyline rarely deviates from that formula. So, what we have left is the implementation/integration of the characters, the execution of the script/screenplay and the cast. I watched it with my wife and we enjoyed it but, after the hype it received, felt a tad let down. That isn’t to suggest that it failed to strike a chord with us but, it ran a little longer than a film like this should and adhered too closely to a paint by the numbers experience where there were no unexpected thematic elements.

Having said that we found much to like in the context of the storyline, the charm and chemistry of the two leads and the well-placed supporting cast, most notably Michelle Yeoh and Awkwafina, who steals every scene in portrayal of Rachel’s college buddy. As a romantic I had zero problems with the warm, fuzzy, and feel good ending. Crazy Rich Asians isn’t original but, ticks all the right boxes which makes it a delight for genre fans that crave a good old-fashioned romantic comedy.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some suggestive content and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Crazy Rich Asians comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This is pleasing video presentation that boasts plenty of refinement, stable contrast, deeply saturated colors, and strong dimension. Blacks are punchy and stand out when onscreen with mixed content. Visual perspective in low lighting and darkened areas is estimable. The combination gives dark scenes appreciable depth. Images are boldly colorful, film like and perfectly suited for the source material.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has good dynamic range, detail rich clarity and discernible channel separation which enable the detection of subtle nuance within the recording. Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel which clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and tonal balance within the front soundstage. Low frequency effects aren’t noteworthy but the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to appropriately convey the mid bass associated with the soundtrack.

Bonus Features:
  • • Commentary by Director Jon M. Chu and Novelist Kevin Kwan
    • Crazy Rich Fun
    • Gag Reel
    • Deleted Scenes
  • DVD
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the novel by Kevin Kwan, Crazy Rich Asians is typically formulaic but, I found it to be a decidedly entertaining romantic comedy that includes all the right ingredients. It comes to Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring sparkling high definition video, crystal clear lossless sound and a middling but worthwhile supplemental set. Crazy Rich Asians is worth picking up if you’re a fan, otherwise give it a rent on date night.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
tezster likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-20-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 812
I saw this in the theater and enjoyed it immensely. The 4K version is supposedly out today as well. That one I'll buy. The many scenes in Singapore were stunning, especially the night shots.

Last edited by Cal1981; 11-20-2018 at 11:03 AM.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-20-2018, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well the BB, Walmart and Target in my area have the Blu-ray version but there's not a 4K release to be found. Warner Brothers has virtually no sense as what their retail buying base is. There have been a few WB releases lately with few to no 4K copies shipped to retail outlets (not to mention the apparent recall of the 4K 2001 release). I ordered it from the big A instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-20-2018, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 974
How do one say "cheese" in Chinese?
起司
one of the worst movies in recent memory, well at least the first half since I quit watching it further, and probably never will... YMMV
Ben Tan, Hairsonfire and ian c 2 like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun

Last edited by thehun; 11-20-2018 at 05:24 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 11-21-2018, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Not my cup of tea, will pass on this. Surprised Jennifer Aniston is not in this? Isn't she the queen of romcoms?
post #6 of 27 Old 11-21-2018, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 3951 Post(s)
Liked: 2693
I won't buy either but the colors in this movie demand HDR. WOW.

Is it just me or are the prices of regular Blurays and 4K going up? The current Amazon 4K of this movie is $30.00 and the Blu-ray is $23.00? I'm sure in 3 or 4 months the prices will drop dramatically but ....

I guess if the demand falls (which I am sure rental and streaming have helped), then I guess the price escalates .... until such time as folks just quit buying completely !!!

I can only assume shiny discs are not super profitable for the studios. Apparently the greedy studio heads are not familiar with the concept of "lower the price and create new demand".

Mark 12:30 ][ "Hold Up" By Leslie Austin ][ The Oconee Theater

"Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles. It takes away today's peace"
post #7 of 27 Old 11-21-2018, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 1965
According to the press release, there is no 4K release at this time. Blu-ray and DVD only.

Nice review Ralph...totally agree on your assessment.
Ralph Potts likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #8 of 27 Old 11-21-2018, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
According to the press release, there is no 4K release at this time. Blu-ray and DVD only.

That's consistent with only a BD being offered for review. I presume they'd be pushing the most expensive version that is available.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-21-2018, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
That's consistent with only a BD being offered for review. I presume they'd be pushing the most expensive version that is available.
Both Ralph and I are on the auto distribution list with Warner for UHD discs..if it was available, we'd get one.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #10 of 27 Old 11-21-2018, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Both Ralph and I are on the auto distribution list with Warner for UHD discs..if it was available, we'd get one.
Heck of a deal.
post #11 of 27 Old 11-22-2018, 12:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Heck of a deal.
It's a blessing and a curse. The pay is crap and it takes a lot of time. I've been doing it for 14 years now and have thought about hanging it up many times.

post #12 of 27 Old 11-22-2018, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Greetings,

Thanks Dave! Great minds.......

Regards,
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #13 of 27 Old 11-23-2018, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It pretty bizarre Dave. It looks like not one of the major reviewers got an advance copy of the 4K but it seems that it does exist. I asked about this over on Blu-ray.com. A number of people did get the 4K release shipped from Best Buy online and some others scored a copy at Walmarts in their area. One person got it on a Digital+Disc purchase from Vudu, which is owned by Walmart. My copy from Amazon is supposed to be delivered on Monday but I'm not holding my breath. The big A's deliveries have gotten spotty recently.
post #14 of 27 Old 11-23-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Well the BB, Walmart and Target in my area have the Blu-ray version but there's not a 4K release to be found. Warner Brothers has virtually no sense as what their retail buying base is. There have been a few WB releases lately with few to no 4K copies shipped to retail outlets (not to mention the apparent recall of the 4K 2001 release). I ordered it from the big A instead.
I don't go to the theaters often but I've been into seeing Chinese movies in the last year or so. Many are better than the typical Hollywood dreck. I enjoyed CRA very much!

I checked amazon and the 4K disc delivery is pushed out quite a bit:

Quote from amazon.com:
FREE Delivery Wednesday, Dec. 12 - Wednesday, Jan. 23 Details
Usually ships within 1 to 2 months.

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #15 of 27 Old 11-23-2018, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It pretty bizarre Dave. It looks like not one of the major reviewers got an advance copy of the 4K but it seems that it does exist. I asked about this over on Blu-ray.com. A number of people did get the 4K release shipped from Best Buy online and some others scored a copy at Walmarts in their area. One person got it on a Digital+Disc purchase from Vudu, which is owned by Walmart. My copy from Amazon is supposed to be delivered on Monday but I'm not holding my breath. The big A's deliveries have gotten spotty recently.
I wonder if they're doing the 4K disc on demand only? Very strange.

post #16 of 27 Old 11-23-2018, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Quote:
Greetings,

It could also be an exclusive purchase through select retailers.

Regards,
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #17 of 27 Old 11-23-2018, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's very strange. Do you and Ralph have the ability to speak to Warners about this kind of odd situation? Since Amazon has pushed its delivery dates back, I figured that I would cancel my order and get it from BB. The cancellation was refused because the order was "being prepared for shipping" so maybe I'll get it on Monday after all.

Quick Update: I just got the shipping confirmation and the discs will be here on Monday. Amazon must have sold out their supply and are waiting for WB to send more copies for deliveries in December.
Ralph Potts and Dave Vaughn like this.

Last edited by Cal1981; 11-23-2018 at 02:37 PM.
post #18 of 27 Old 11-26-2018, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Attention Ralph, Dave, ladies and germs and all the ships at sea. I can confirm that the 4K version of Crazy Rich Asians does exist. I got my my copy from Amazon today and am watching it even as we speak. The HDR10 transfer is excellent and the DTS MA-HD audio track sounds just fine. The first night shots in Singapore really looked good ( Thank you OLED technology). This one is definitely a winner.
post #19 of 27 Old 11-27-2018, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Attention Ralph, Dave, ladies and germs and all the ships at sea. I can confirm that the 4K version of Crazy Rich Asians does exist. I got my my copy from Amazon today and am watching it even as we speak. The HDR10 transfer is excellent and the DTS MA-HD audio track sounds just fine. The first night shots in Singapore really looked good ( Thank you OLED technology). This one is definitely a winner.
Greetings,

Sweet! Thanks for the update Cal. Enjoy!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #20 of 27 Old 11-27-2018, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Let us know how it looks versus the Blu-ray!

post #21 of 27 Old 11-27-2018, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Let us know how it looks versus the Blu-ray!
Will do Dave and FYI, Fry's in Concord is now showing it in stock with a one copy per customer limit.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #22 of 27 Old 11-27-2018, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, so I did a direct A-B comparison of the same scenes running the 4K from a Panny UB820 and the Blu-ray from an Oppo-203 both into the LG C7 OLED via a Denon X3500 AVR (with all video processing off). The Blu-ray is a good solid transfer that is very "cinema" looking.. The 4K has some serious "pop" and the image has more depth. There is, as expected, a boost in detail. Between the two, my aging eyes say no contest. The 4K is a much better viewing experience with, again, the beautiful night scenes standing out.
post #23 of 27 Old 11-27-2018, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 420
This movie was painfully bad. My wife was looking forward to it, and she hated even more than me.

7.2.4 theater gear
Video: JVC rs620 projector, Stewart 130 screen, Panasonic ub900 UHD player
Audio: Anthem 60 preamp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp, NAD ci-940 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #24 of 27 Old 11-30-2018, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Sorry, I have to say this movie is a disappointment to me. All characters are shallow, one dimensional and caricatures. The male lead is a crazy rich young Asian who does nothing but faking boyish smile all movie long. The movie wants us to believe that the female lead, Rachael, has had zero idea how rich Nick is before going to Singapore, come on.

Everything is over the top and conveniently setup but nothing is convincing. I got no idea with Nick loves Rachael or vice versa other than they are both young and good looking.

Piek Lin is the only relate-able character in the movie and she drives an, drum roll, Audi RS8. The only draw of the movie is it's aptly named that it conform to the motif that Asians nowadays are crazy rich. There you have it.
post #25 of 27 Old 11-30-2018, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched the BR.

I thought it was OK. (I not a major fan of romantic comedies. Not enough car chases, explosions, and partially nude women.) Michelle Yeoh was especially good.

I think that the movie may have benefitted from what I'd call the Black Panther effect, when a movie where most of the cast is made up of previously under-represented minorities generates more excitement than would be justified by its intrinsic strengths. (That's not intended as a complaint. I hope that we're moving towards a more inclusive era.)

I wish I'd had the UHD version. The BD was quite colorful.
ian c 2 likes this.
post #26 of 27 Old 11-30-2018, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
It took me most of the movie to get past seeing Rachel as Jessica Huang (a character from TV's Fresh Off The Boat).
Coincidentally, Rachel's surname, Chu, is the same as Jessica's maiden name.

I also kept thinking of the Marina Bay F1 circuit whenever they showed shots of the city.
Ooh, and that scene with the street vendors made me hungry. :scallion_pancakes: [/stream]

Yo mama so fat, time slow when she near.
Bacon knows!
post #27 of 27 Old 12-29-2018, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I rented this from Netflix and thoroughly enjoyed it. My sister had seen it numerous times in the theater and even brought my mom to see it. I enjoyed the Chinese music in the movie as I had heard some of the songs growing up. I also liked the Asian versions of some of English songs in the movie. I have a Tan Hua plant in my backyard and never paid that much attention to it. Thanks to this movie I will look forward to it's next bloom. At first I was confused Constance Wu character with Jessica Huang from Fresh Of The Boat. I enjoyed this movie so much I plan on purchasing it on 4K UHD Blu-ray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews