Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 12-20-2018, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Great review Mr. Potts.

A quote from your review really struck a nerve.

I remember watching it for the first time. My reaction to the experience felt very much like it did the first time I saw Star Wars (I was thirteen in 1977).

Watching The Matrix for the first time took me to another dimension, just as Star Wars did, lo those many years ago. When Neo wakes up....

Having the trilogy available in 4K and Atmos makes this a must buy for any fan of the movie(s) or genre.
Ralph Potts likes this.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #33 of 36 Old 12-21-2018, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Thank you for the review! Well worth the repurchase! A substantial update/upgrade!

I just finished watching these a couple nights ago...
Wow, these are great in UHD/HDR! They've most certainly been cleaned up and perhaps even some scenes re-rendered. A scene that sticks out is First movie, where Trinity swings out of the crashing helicopter on Neo's safety line, it's just a few cuts over a few seconds but that little sequence looks great now.
I love the way blacks are treated in these movies (the subtle difference in Neo's jacket/shirt/tie are amazing), the subtle differences in command shirt red are obvious now too.
Audio clarity and punch seems better too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
I think we need a contest here at AVS:
Which film franchise have you bought the most re-issuing of?
The Matrix series would most certainly be my most re-purchased, DVD->1080-BD->UHD/HDR-BD, and the only repurchase on UHD to date.

Cheers,
morphinapg likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 12-27-2018, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The Matrix is still one of my all time favorite movies. When I watched it, I knew nothing about it, the story... nothing. So for the first 20 minutes or so I was just lost. Seeing the special effects and the sounds in my home theater just had my mouth dropping. The story was fresh and original, special effects ground breaking with the 360 degree cameras................What can I say. For me, this movie represents everything for me as to why I absolutely love Home Theater. I have not upgraded from my Pioneer Elite sc-79, nor have I upgraded from a 1080 p projector, but when I do get ATMOS and a new projector, I will make the Matrix be my first watch.
shivaji and dnoonie like this.
post #35 of 36 Old 12-31-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I was watching the Neo vs Smiths scene last night and I started getting all the effect and dialogue audio through my side speakers.

Now just to be fair, this was an MKV rip being played through MrMC on a Shield so there may have been something lost in translation - I haven't tried the disc yet to see if it has the same issue.
post #36 of 36 Old 01-02-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsrgreat View Post
The Matrix is still one of my all time favorite movies. When I watched it, I knew nothing about it, the story... nothing. So for the first 20 minutes or so I was just lost. Seeing the special effects and the sounds in my home theater just had my mouth dropping. The story was fresh and original, special effects ground breaking with the 360 degree cameras................What can I say. For me, this movie represents everything for me as to why I absolutely love Home Theater. I have not upgraded from my Pioneer Elite sc-79, nor have I upgraded from a 1080 p projector, but when I do get ATMOS and a new projector, I will make the Matrix be my first watch.
I'm stoked for you. When you do get Atmos, report back. These movies are mind bogglingly awesome in Atmos.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews