61Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Superman: The Movie Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray review of this classic DC Super Hero Film directed by Richard Donner that starred Christopher Reeve as the Man of Steel.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 1978
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 143 minutes
Genre: Fantasy/Drama/Action

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, English Dolby Digital 5.1, French/Spanish Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Christopher Reeve, Margot Kidder, Gene Hackman, Marc McClure, Terence Stamp, Marlon Brando, Susannah York, Valerie Perrine, Ned Beatty, Jackie Cooper
Directed by: Richard Donner
Music by: John Williams
Written by: Mario Puzo, David Newman, Leslie Newman, Robert Benton
Region Code: A

Release Date: November 6, 2018

"The Man of Steel Has Arrived"

My Take:

Academy Award winners Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman head an all-star cast in the fantastic, action-packed film that made Christopher Reeve an international star playing the greatest superhero of all time. From the doomed planet of Krypton, two parents launch a spaceship carrying their infant son to earth. Here he grows up to become Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for the Metropolis Daily Planet. But with powers and abilities far beyond those of ordinary men, he battles for truth and justice as Superman.

I grew up reading comics and have always been a fan of fantasy/adventure stories. I have loved Superman since I was little but my introduction to him wasn’t through comic books. It was through the medium that started my interest in fantasy/adventure, television. Watching the reruns of George Reeves in The Adventures of Superman is where it began for me. As a youngster there was nothing cooler than seeing him run, jump and take off. It looked pretty cheesy, even back then, but that wasn’t what it was about. It was the idea that this guy was virtually indestructible, could fly, fought crime and was known/beloved by everyone the world over. Not to mention George Reeves in the part was just plain cool.

I was a movie buff, even back then, and there are indelible moments that have remained with me over the years. I remember the awe I felt sitting in the theater during the opening sequence to Star Wars as that huge Imperial Cruiser entered the frame and slowly filled the screen. I remember being terrified watching Chrissy scream bloody murder as the unseen shark below pulled her back and forth before yanking her under for the last time. I remember the chills I got when I saw Christopher Reeve step from the revolving door, pardon himself to the guy on the street (who commented on his “outfit”) and take off to save Lois. I was hooked right from the start. I sat there in the theater at 13 years old and don’t believe I blinked for fear of missing something.

I have seen each installment in the Superman franchise theatrically. Christopher Reeve embodied the pure, gentlemanly charisma, chiseled features and defining humanity that brought Superman to life in a way that made him more genuine than any portrayal of its type that I had seen. Superman: The Movie and Superman II are my favorites in the franchise. The wonderfully balanced script (technically speaking they are more one film than two) has elements of romance, drama, action and humor that is immortalized by a superlative assemblage of actors. I remember being blown away by the special effects at the time (the flying sequences were particularly impressive). Watching today they show their age but, still work beautifully within the film’s warm, nostalgic theme.

Superman: The Movie assembles a cast and creative contingent as only a big movie can. At its heart is Christopher Reeve's intelligent, affectionate portrayal of a most human Man of Steel. Reeve, Marlon Brando (Jor-El), Gene Hackman (Lex Luthor) and Margot Kidder (Lois Lane) give performances that fuel the film's aura of legend. Watching it again isn't just like being a kid again. It's better. I am thrilled to now own it on Ultra HD Blu-ray.

Superman was nominated for three Academy Awards, including Best Film Editing, Best Music (Original Score) and Best Sound. The film also received a Special Achievement Academy Award for Visual Effects. In 2017, Superman was inducted in to the Library of Congress National Film Registry.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The ratings are for thematic material and action violence

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 92

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 100

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Superman: The Movie comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

Superman was shot on 35mm film, and Its presentation in Ultra HD is derived from that source. It's important to note that the ultimate goal for any release on home video is to present a film in the highest possible quality based upon its original elements. A film like Superman has an aesthetic that incorporates film grain and the use of cinematography that won't result in the type of high gloss, tack-like sharpness of many newer films shot today. This isn't a problem and shouldn't be seen as such.

This is a fantasy film that strives to recreate the look and feel of director Richard Donner’s vision. Reminiscent of other classic catalog films released on Ultra HD Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment, this rendering takes the faithful reproduction on Blu-ray to the next level. Superman: The Movie has never made for a commanding visual experience on home video but, that was always a given determined by Geoffrey Unworth’s terrific cinematography and the elements necessary to convey the film’s varying tone.

I am happy to report that its primary foundation remains fully intact while revealing layers of seemingly new levels of detail, definition, color delineation, and emboldened contrast that elevate its thematic impact. The opening scenes with its brilliant whites, beautiful flyovers, deep blacks and enriching contrast look better than ever. The scenes that take place in Smallville retain their hazy aesthetic with moments where the increased resolution and wide color gamut draw forth a bit more delineation and depth. Grain remains perfectly intact with a predominantly even and filmic essence that underscores the thematic content.

Once Clark arrives in Metropolis the use of high dynamic range is put to work, added a pleasing visual element that enriched both natural and artificial light. I also felt that the purposefully dark/dreary sequences benefited from the application of HDR which emboldened their blacks and shadow delineation. The helicopter rescue looked terrific, as does the variety of specular highlights seen during the catastrophic events caused by the aftershocks later in the film.

The color range over the course of the presentation is reproduced beautifully, especially the rendering of primary colors, which are was gratifying and vivid. I also found that fleshtones appeared gradational and quite natural. The only blemish I noted was what appeared to be waxy complexions on the faces of General Zod and his minions during the sentencing on Krypton. I noticed it in a few instances with young Clark in Smallville too but, otherwise didn’t detect anything else worthy of note.

All in all, I found the Ultra HD presentation of Superman: The Movie allows its attributes to be fully realized in a way that it hadn’t been before. As I sat and watched I revisited myself seeing it for the first as that 13 year old boy in the theater.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for Superman: The Movie, I found the HDR to be extremely close. In fact, I would go so far as to say they were negligible. Again, I want to emphasize that this film’s predominating elements aren’t necessarily lent to the engaging type of HDR that makes the format shine. I did feel that the Dolby Vision rendering drew forth just a hint more depth in blues and reds. While I wouldn’t categorize it as worthy of a rating difference, it would be my preferred way of viewing the film.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos soundtrack, I was surprised at how active the mix is. The use of overhead sound objects elevates proportional correlation. When compared to the original 5.1 track the Atmos mix offers a noticeable improvement by opening up the soundstage, elevating the perception of low-level detail and seemingly offering broader dynamic range. John Williams’ beautiful music score invigorates the extended sound field as its presence underscores the storyline. The film is loaded with atmospherics, off screen cues and discrete sound effects that when applied using the freedom of object-based placement adds an enriching layer to the soundtrack. This is noticeable right from the opening title sequence with noteworthy examples being found throughout (the destruction of Krypton sounds incredible). The new Atmos mix adds a complimentary layer that brings the listening experience to new heights. Woo Hoo!

For those that are set up for Ultra HD but, not for Dolby Atmos, the lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (Atmos core) soundtrack on the Ultra HD version bests the 5.1 channel mix, offering excellent dynamic range, detail rich clarity, and noteworthy use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the bass and dynamic impact associated with the action-based sequences. Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel and renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction.

** It should be noted that the lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack is the default audio option. Listening to the Dolby Atmos mix requires entering the audio set up menu and manually selecting it.**

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Superman: The Movie Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Superman: The Movie Blu-ray
    • Commentary by Pierre Spengler and Ilya Salkind
    • The Making of Superman: The Movie 1978 TV Special
    • Superman and the Mole-Men
    • Cartoons
    • TV Spots and Trailers
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

I have been a Superman fan for as long as I can remember. Seeing him brought to life on the big screen left an indelible impression that resonates today. Much of this is owed to the wonderful and timeless portrayal by Christopher Reeve who will forever be fondly remembered as the epitome of the character. Superman: The Movie arrives on Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring excellent overall video quality, a terrific Dolby Atmos immersive listening experience, and legacy supplements. Watching it again isn't just like being a kid again. It's better. I am thrilled to now own it on Ultra HD Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
5x10, zombie10k, Despoiler and 9 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 3954 Post(s)
Liked: 2697
I am a huge fan of the original Superman movies. So this with an active Atmos soundtrack and HDR is a no brainer.

Each time I hear an older movie soundtrack, even improved and with 3D audio, I realize how far we have come in the world of Foley sound images. Explosions or gunshots or ..... , for example, in new movies sound far more "convincing" than those in the older ones, even with improved audio.

But none of that takes away from a movie like this. I will order immediately.

Thanks for the review.

HDR keeps getting better and better.

Mark 12:30 ][ "Hold Up" By Leslie Austin ][ The Oconee Theater

"Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles. It takes away today's peace"
post #3 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Great review Ralph. Superman 1 has always been one of my favorite movies. It sounds like the studio got the 4K transfer right. This is a day one purchase. I'm afraid to count how many 4K releases I now have. I'm more afraid to tally up the cost

It will be interesting to see if Superman II is ever released in 4K. The theatrical release of S2 wasn't bad but there was a lot of controversy because Richard Donner, the director of S1 was the original director of S2 but was was fired 75% of the way through production. The new director, Richard Lester scrapped most of the footage and re-shot everything. Marlon Brando's salary demands led to most of his scenes being cut and a whole bunch other things happened. Ironically Donner and his associates somehow managed to cobble together a verion that was true to his original vision. I've seen both and the Donner re-cut version is different in many ways, better in some, (more Brando and more exposition) not so much in others because of the editing that had to be done. Hey, maybe there will be a 4K double release of S2. It probably will never happen but if anyone is interested look up the story of S2 on the Net. It's fascinating.
TravisPNW and Ralph Potts like this.

Last edited by Cal1981; 11-03-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Excellent review. Thanks Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #5 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I am watching the DV version on my LG65C8 OLED and it looks washed out due to elevated blacks and gamma. I had to reduce the brightness to 44 to make it look watchable. The first 7 chapters were an eyesore to watch.

I understand that this one was shot with a soft diffused intent but sadly it looks washed out with only few scenes looking good.

HDR usage is very nice and it gets better once the action descends to Earth.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
highd3f and KRGM1 like this.

Last edited by hdtv316; 11-03-2018 at 06:37 PM.
post #6 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 1965
Great review Ralph. You're a bit more forgiving of the video that I am, but given its age it still looks marvelous on UHD. The soundtrack is the reason to buy this movie, plain and simple. It definitely is a 100 in my book as well. The opening title sequence will give you chills (I know it did for me). It helps that it's arguably my favorite John Williams score (he has so many great ones it's hard to choose just one ).

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #7 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Great review Ralph. You're a bit more forgiving of the video that I am, but given its age it still looks marvelous on UHD. The soundtrack is the reason to buy this movie, plain and simple. It definitely is a 100 in my book as well. The opening title sequence will give you chills (I know it did for me). It helps that it's arguably my favorite John Williams score (he has so many great ones it's hard to choose just one ).
Greetings,

Totally agree about the goose pimples raised during the opening title sequence Dave. As for the video, this film has always had an uneven visual aesthetic but, that was definitely the intent. I had a ball revisiting this, finding that the 2 plus hours flew by.

Regards,
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #8 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4114 Post(s)
Liked: 2291
Even though this is the theatrical cut only, did they go back and color correct the Superman suit to return it back to blue from the original teal due to the optical processing shots? The Extended Cut, which I wish was included, was color corrected per Donner's wishes.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #9 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 3828
Ralph,

It's always great to hear of high praise for a film I love, but this one is extra close to my heart as it will always remain my absolute favorite movie of all time! It holds a special place in my heart as I remember seeing it with my mother as a little tyke and they really did make you believe a man could fly! Heck, I was so convinced that from that night on, I would forever be able to fly and be Superman at will in my conscious dreams, so this film is quite the nostalgic treasure for me!

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190 | My Movie Collection
post #10 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I’m really excited to see this
Sounds like it’s the best version yet, can’t wait till Tuesday

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #11 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 2429
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Ralph,

It's always great to hear of high praise for a film I love, but this one is extra close to my heart as it will always remain my absolute favorite movie of all time! It holds a special place in my heart as I remember seeing it with my mother as a little tyke and they really did make you believe a man could fly! Heck, I was so convinced that from that night on, I would forever be able to fly and be Superman at will in my conscious dreams, so this film is quite the nostalgic treasure for me!

Thanks for sharing those moments

Ray
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #12 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 2429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I like your thinking, many older movies are now available on 4K/UHD.

While the picture did improve on most, the soundtrack remain 5.1, resulting a pass on me.
Even the ones, that were a favorite to me.
If the audio track was re-done, in Atmos/DTS:X, or even 7.1, and let my AVP matrix the ceiling speakers.
Those same movies, would be definably, worth a double dip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Totally agree about the goose pimples raised during the opening title sequence Dave. As for the video, this film has always had an uneven visual aesthetic but, that was definitely the intent. I had a ball revisiting this, finding that the 2 plus hours flew by.

Regards,
Since we are on the soundtrack subject. Just a quick question, not do derail this thread.

Just realize you are now using, Dual SVS PC4000, from your previous Dual PB13.
When that happen?

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 11-03-2018 at 11:51 PM.
post #13 of 38 Old 11-04-2018, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
I like your thinking, many older movies are now available on 4K/UHD.

While the picture did improve on most, the soundtrack remain 5.1, resulting a pass on me.
Even the ones, that were a favorite to me.
If the audio track was re-done, in Atmos/DTS:X, or even 7.1, and let my AVP matrix the ceiling speakers.
Those same movies, would be definably, worth a double dip

Since we are on the soundtrack subject. Just a quick question, not do derail this thread.

Just realize you are now using, Dual SVS PC4000, from your previous Dual PB13.
When that happen?

Ray
Greetings,

6 months ago Ray. I reviewed the PC4000s at the time. Here is the link to the article: SVS PC4000 Review

Back on topic..

Regards,
darthray likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #14 of 38 Old 11-04-2018, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Does anyone know if the Blu-ray disc that comes with the UHD disc had its audio upgraded or is it still DD 5.1??

Ralph, another excellent review. So much so, I am actually considering triple dipping.

Ralph Potts likes this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #15 of 38 Old 11-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
Does anyone know if the Blu-ray disc that comes with the UHD disc had its audio upgraded or is it still DD 5.1??

Ralph, another excellent review. So much so, I am actually considering triple dipping.

I doubt it since I hear it is the same Blu-Ray from before.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #16 of 38 Old 11-04-2018, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post
I doubt it since I hear it is the same Blu-Ray from before.
Thanks WayneJoy

I was hoping the disc would have been changed but my guess is, you are correct. That disc I can buy for $5. It looks like I will have the spend the bucks to get the UHD.

Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #17 of 38 Old 11-04-2018, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post

Greetings,

Jim, it's the same Blu-ray as previously released and contains the same audio track.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #18 of 38 Old 11-04-2018, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Greetings,

Jim, it's the same Blu-ray as previously released and contains the same audio track.

Regards,

The only way to get good audio is the buy the UHD which through your review I have decided it's worth the cost.

Ralph

Sometimes you cost me money but most of the times when you say it's a rental, I save.

In general you save me a lot more than you cost me.

A really BIG thanks for all your work

Last edited by JimShaw; 11-04-2018 at 07:51 PM.
post #19 of 38 Old 11-05-2018, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Thanks Ralph. Definitely going to pick this one up. Like you I grew up with the Chris Reeve superman and probably watched it hundreds of times as a kid. He was the best of the bunch and this movie is a classic. Interestingly I just watched it with my 9 yo son for the first time a couple weeks ago and he loved it. I guess we are going to have to watch it again real soon. Really looking forward to the sound track. Hope they release Superman II as well. The others in the series I don't care for though.
Dave Vaughn and Ralph Potts like this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2

Last edited by confinoj; 11-05-2018 at 08:56 AM.
post #20 of 38 Old 11-05-2018, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 74
iTune store had the HD version for $4.99 a few weeks, may be they put it on sale again. With AIS if you bought the HD version when they release the movie in 4k you automatically get it.
Superman2 likes this.

Sony VW285ES, Arcam850, Def Tech 9000 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Oppo203 Screen studioTak130 with 1.3 gain, and a nagging wife.
post #21 of 38 Old 11-06-2018, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Thanks Ralph for the great review. I am buying this on day one as well. Hope they release superman 2 on UHD soon.
Ralph Potts likes this.

My home theater
Speakers: 3 JTR 212HTR (LCR), 2 Jtr Single 8LP (S), 2 JTR Triple 12LF (SB)) , 4 Volt 10LX (Atmos)
Subwoofers: 10 Sealed UXL-18, 5 Crowson Shadow 8 transducers, 3 Buttkicker LFE
Display: JVC RS400
post #22 of 38 Old 11-06-2018, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Just saw it and it’s the best it’s ever looked/sounded

Then even fixed young Clark’s nose piece to be the same color as the rest of his skin (previous versions were bad)
Ralph Potts likes this.

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #23 of 38 Old 11-08-2018, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Thanks Ralph for great review. I bought both Superman and 2001 space odyssey movies. And I never watched either one. I have a male friend coming over this weekend for watching movie. Which one do we watch if I have to pick one? Thanks
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #24 of 38 Old 11-08-2018, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Thanks Ralph for great review. I bought both Superman and 2001 space odyssey movies. And I never watched either one. I have a male friend coming over this weekend for watching movie. Which one do we watch if I have to pick one? Thanks

Greetings,

That would probably depend on his taste but, I would say that you can't go wrong with Superman...

Regards,
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #25 of 38 Old 11-08-2018, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Thanks Ralph for great review. Are you planning to review Incredible 2 and wreck it Ralph?
Greetings,

That would probably depend on his taste but, I would say that you can't go wrong with Superman... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Regards,
Thanks Ralph
post #26 of 38 Old 11-09-2018, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Watched it this evening. I don't have a great deal to add. (Hadn't seen it in 40 years.) In the early (Krypton) part of the film, everything seemed a bit foggy, but presumably that was by design. Years ago, a friend complained about the "Mighty Mouse" train that Superman left as he flew around the Earth at high velocity, as he turned back the clock. Maybe it was some sort of synchrotron radiation, as he approached the speed of light. (Or, as a comic book character, greatly exceeded it. When I was a kid, I liked the Flash, who could run around the Earth at 7X the speed of light.)

The sound would have been surprising, absent Ralph's review. Amazing what they can do with 40 year old sound tracks.

Did anyone else notice John Ratzenberger?
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #27 of 38 Old 11-10-2018, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

I have not watched it. Saw the trailer look like very similar to Man of Steel? Is it right?
post #28 of 38 Old 11-10-2018, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 812
I watched the movie last night and was slightly disappointed in the DV version. I know that film grain is inherent but in some scenes, especially on Krypton and other scenes with a lot of white, the grain got pretty oppressive. The image during the first half of the movie seemed a bit flat but picked up quite a bit after that. I did some quick "on the fly" comparisons between the DV and HDR10 versions (bless the resume feature) and the HDR10 looked a bit better at times, especially with the Panny UB820's HDR Optimizer turned on and Dynamic Range bumped up two ticks. Detail levels on both were definitely better than the Blu-ray and made Chris Reeve's facial expressions look more expressive. The colors on Superman's suit really stood out on both as well. At the end of the day,there wasn't enough of a difference to choose one version over the other. The Atmos sound was excellent. The audio during the opening credits with the whooshing sounds when the names rolled up was really something. Even with some shortcomings, this is such a good movie that holds up so well on repeat viewings. It's a must buy if you're a fan. The one downer is the sadness over being reminded about Reeve's accident and his untimely passing. He was a hell of a good actor with quite a few fine movies among his credits (Deathtrap and Noises Off to name two).
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by Cal1981; 11-10-2018 at 02:01 PM.
post #29 of 38 Old 11-11-2018, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
I watched the movie last night and was slightly disappointed in the DV version. I know that film grain is inherent but in some scenes, especially on Krypton and other scenes with a lot of white, the grain got pretty oppressive. The image during the first half of the movie seemed a bit flat but picked up quite a bit after that. I did some quick "on the fly" comparisons between the DV and HDR10 versions (bless the resume feature) and the HDR10 looked a bit better at times, especially with the Panny UB820's HDR Optimizer turned on and Dynamic Range bumped up two ticks. Detail levels on both were definitely better than the Blu-ray and made Chris Reeve's facial expressions look more expressive. The colors on Superman's suit really stood out on both as well. At the end of the day,there wasn't enough of a difference to choose one version over the other. The Atmos sound was excellent. The audio during the opening credits with the whooshing sounds when the names rolled up was really something. Even with some shortcomings, this is such a good movie that holds up so well on repeat viewings. It's a must buy if you're a fan. The one downer is the sadness over being reminded about Reeve's accident and his untimely passing. He was a hell of a good actor with quite a few fine movies among his credits (Deathtrap and Noises Off to name two).

I read someone say what we missed out on with the acting roles an older Reeve could have given us. Really believe that. A truly wonderful actor that would have gotten better roles to show it later in his career.

Already own the movie like five times over now, these days I’m waiting for double dips to hit the lower end of pricing before giving any more money away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #30 of 38 Old 11-11-2018, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 226
The beginning of the film on Krypton was grainy and washed out. The movie was a waste of Marlon Brando's and many other famous actor's talents. The plot seemed kitschy and dated. The special effects were lame by today's standards. The rest of the DV video and audio restoration was good. I struggled through to the end. I spent a good bit of time in New York and California in the 1970's so I had a good bit of nostalgia.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 11-11-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews