• 1 Post By brazensol

post #1 of 9 Old 10-24-2018, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
The Spy Who Dumped Me Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Audrey and Morgan are best friends who unwittingly become entangled in an international conspiracy when one of the women discovers the boyfriend who dumped her was actually a spy.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Lionsgate - 2018
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 116 minutes
Genre: Action/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Mila Kunis, Kate McKinnon, Justin Theroux, Sam Heughan
Directed by: Susanna Fogel
Music by: Tyler Bates
Written by: Susanna Fogel, David Iserson
Region Code: A

Release Date: October 30, 2018

"They Got This"

My Take:

Audrey (Mila Kunis) and Morgan (Kate McKinnon), two thirty-year-old best friends in Los Angeles, are thrust unexpectedly into an international conspiracy when Audrey’s ex-boyfriend shows up at their apartment with a team of deadly assassins on his trail. Surprising even themselves, the duo jump into action, on the run throughout Europe from assassins and a suspicious-but-charming British agent, as they hatch a plan to save the world.

I am a fan of both Mila Kunis and Kate McKinnon, as well as the action/comedy genre, but the trailer for The Spy Who Dumped Me didn’t give me much hope for a well-rounded popcorn flick. Unfortunately, my initial impressions were correct. The script is lazily written, featuring a series of cliched situational gags, chases/action set pieces, and a weak tea of characters, set to an unimaginative story that fails to engage. The silly banter/interaction between Kunis and McKinnon provides a few occasional chuckles, although McKinnon’s incessant running off at the mouth, grew tiresome. I like her in the sketch comedy setting of SNL but, haven’t been impressed with her film roles thus far. Justin Theroux phoned in his small role, and the cameos by Paul Reiser, Jane Curtain and Gillian Anderson were of no real value.

The Spy Who Dumped Me felt like a swing and a miss that failed to capitalize on the potential of the pairing between its two charismatic leads.

Replay Value:2.0 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence, language throughout, some crude sexual material and graphic nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 92

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 90

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

The Spy Who Dumped Me comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Lionsgate featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

The Spy Who Dumped Me garnered a solid report from me on its video quality in 1080p. Its presentation in Ultra HD, was rendered from a digital source/2K DI and up-converted to 4K. Color reproduction is consistent, with primaries like blue, red, and green appearing richer, even a bit more delineated. Secondary hues look great as well. The increase in resolution is apparent, allowing the detection of minutia, even in wide angle shots, to be appreciable. Close-ups tend to offer better refinement and deeper resolvable textures on surfaces, clothing, and physical features, compared to the Blu-ray.

The same is true when comparing the video's dynamic range. Exterior sequences offer added punch, especially that take place in the light of day, such as the various exterior sequences in Europe, where the sun reflects off of objects etc. The darkened highlights in the film’s low-lit environs, have appreciable dimension and resolvable detail. I didn’t find that the film showcased high dynamic range as there weren’t any defining visual elements that drew upon its strengths but, in general I thought that the image looked excellent. Viewing The Spy Who Dumped Me in Ultra HD wasn't a format defining experience however, I think its improvements makes it an easy choice for UHD fans.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for The Spy Who Dumped Me, I found the HDR to be close, but felt that the DV rendering edged out the HDR-10. Much of this came when comparing the same scenes, and finding that the rendering of color was not only slightly deeper, but seemingly more delineated. This film uses a broad chromatic palette and I felt that it shone brighter via Dolby Vision. Aside from that I found both renderings to be essentially identical.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the moderately active variety that made effective use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a blend of atmospherics and discrete effects. When applied it creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. There are a multitude of set pieces that show off the track’s blend of music and, smaller object sounds that create a wonderfully involving listening experience, that broadens the soundstage. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere as well as the integration of discrete object placement. I think that it complimented the source material and drew me into the film when it mattered most.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 94

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

The Spy Who Dumped Me comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This film looks great on Blu-ray and features excellent video quality that exhibits high level detail, stable sharpness and revealing definition. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid-level camera pans are equally enriching and offer excellent depth and dimension. When called for, colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the spectrum of secondary hues. Fleshtones are a bit on the bronzy side but don’t appear unnatural. Contrast is boldly applied without overstatement as it enlivens colors and drives brightly lit scenes without whitewashing detail. Blacks are gradational and deep which emboldens sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure that enhances depth perception. This is a solid presentation that looked terrific on my big screen.

The 7.1 Dolby TrueHD surround mix does a great job presenting the track’s recorded elements. This soundtrack runs the gamut between passages of spoken dialog and music to engaging sequences that deliver enriching surround sound. Dialog rendering is terrific as it holds sway over the front soundstage. Dynamic range is excellent as the active elements within the surround mix resound with superior clarity and palpable deep bass transients. Clarity is first rate which brings out the finely articulated nuance of background elements within the mix. Surround use is prevalent and achieves a high level of envelopment that is appreciably involving as effects are seamlessly blended to create a stable and detail rich sound field. Despite not being crazy about the film itself, I had a great time with this soundtrack and appreciated the attention to detail that went into its design.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: The Spy Who Dumped Me Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: The Spy Who Dumped Me Blu-ray
    • “Covert Operations: The Making of The Spy Who Dumped Me” Featurette
    • “Gary Powell: The King of Action” Featurette
    • “Makin’ Friends with Hasan Minhaj” Featurette
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Outtakes
    • “Off Script” Featurette
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Spy Who Dumped Me is an uninspired action/comedy that if taken with a grain of salt, or two, has something to offer, especially for fans that can’t get enough of its two stars. It comes to Blu-ray from Lionsgate Home Entertainment is this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo pack that features excellent Ultra HD video, in both HDR-10 and Dolby Vision flavors, reference quality high definition audio/video, including an entertaining Dolby Atmos immersive surround mix, and a decent supplemental package. Unless you're already a fan, The Spy Who Dumped Me is tough to recommend as blind buy, however, if you’re anxious to see and hear what it has to offer, toss it in your rental queue and take it for a ride on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-25-2018, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Ralph, are you saying that the audio presentation is actually better on the regular blu Ray than the UHD disc?
post #3 of 9 Old 10-25-2018, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
Ralph, are you saying that the audio presentation is actually better on the regular blu Ray than the UHD disc?
Greetings,

Both share the same audio mix. If you look at the ratings/my comments, one is for the Atmos mix and one is for the 7.1 channel surround mix contained in the Atmos core (for those not set up for immersive sound). The rating parameters for each are different. I have been doing it this way for nearly four years. Refer to this thread Dolby Atmos Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Review for details.

Regards,
nathanddrews likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-25-2018, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Ralph

Thanks

Looks like I will be renting

Ralph Potts likes this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #5 of 9 Old 10-25-2018, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 3951 Post(s)
Liked: 2693
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
Ralph

Thanks

Looks like I will be renting

Me too. I had high hopes for this movie -- but Oh Well !!

Mark 12:30 ][ "Hold Up" By Leslie Austin ][ The Oconee Theater

"Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles. It takes away today's peace"
post #6 of 9 Old 10-25-2018, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Looks like you saved me some money! I'm so glad you're willing to "take one for the team" time and time again.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (2) iNuke 6000DSP's, (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers, (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer, (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #7 of 9 Old 10-27-2018, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looks like this may just be a rental. I know the wife will want to see it just because of Sam Heughan (Outlander problems).....
post #8 of 9 Old 11-02-2018, 11:37 AM
AVS & LAAVA Member

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Watched this movie a couple nights ago, I have to say it was a lot better than I originally thought. Not great but definitely entertaining for sure. I could see myself watching it again.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Tablo OTA DVR
post #9 of 9 Old 01-06-2019, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I rented this from Netflix on Blu-Ray and surprised it had the Dolby Atmos as it's a Lionsgate title. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie especially the action. This movie sounded great as well especially with objects in the overhead speakers. It looked incredible considering it was upscaled to 4K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews