34Likes

post #1 of 51 Old 10-01-2018, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Skyscraper Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

A security expert must infiltrate a burning skyscraper, 225 stories above ground, when his family are trapped inside by criminals.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 103 minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos-TrueHD 7.1, French/Spanish Dolby Digital Plus 7.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Dwayne Johnson, Neve Campbell, Chin Hahn, Noah Taylor, Byron Mann, Pablo Schreiber
Written & Directed by: Rawson Marshall Thurber
Music by: Steve Jablonsky
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: October 9, 2018

"The Sky is the Limit"

My Take:

Will Sawyer is a former FBI agent and U.S. war veteran who now assesses security for skyscrapers. While he's on assignment in China, the world's tallest and safest building catches on fire -- and Will gets framed for it. Now a wanted man and on the run, he must find those responsible, clear his name and somehow rescue his family members when they become trapped inside the inferno.

As I have said in the past, I am a fan of Dwayne Johnson and pretty much any movie that has the potential to showcase his brand of charisma. Put the two together and I can be pretty forgiving of the types of plot holes and general absurdity that usually accompany those type of popcorn flicks. Looking at the cast for Skyscraper wouldn’t immediately lead one to believe that the chances of it being a decent disaster thriller are high. Unfortunately, that is the case.

Beginning with a noticeably weak concept, and poorly shaped characters, the plot revisits themes we’ve seen before, by glossing over the elements necessary to make for a solid foundational story. On top of that, the attempts to interweave meaningful drama, miss altogether, leaving a hodgepodge of a movie, that resulted in constant eyerolling. As it presses on the film continually bombards you with preposterous elements that keep you accurately predicting what will happen next while asking aloud, really?

Now, having said all of that, I knew exactly what I was getting into based upon what I saw in the trailer. I kept expectations extremely low and simply tried to take Skyscraper for what it was. A basic thriller that throws Dwyane Johnson and a bunch of medium budget effects at the wall and see what, if anything, sticks. Yes, it’s pretty bad but, I didn’t mind it all that much and had a little fun watching. Neve Campbell seems to get better with age and handled her small protective Mom/action sequences fairly well. Outside of the two of them the remaining cast added very little, which in the case of Pablo Schreiber is a shame.

At the end of the day Skyscraper is bargain bin fodder but, viewing it in the right context, especially if you enjoy watching Dwayne Johnson, there might be enough meat on the bone to merit its runtime.

Replay Value: 2.5 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of gun violence and action, and for brief strong language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 96

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Skyscraper comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD, Skyscraper was derived from 2.8K/3.4K/6.5K sources, and rendered from a 2K DI.

The 1080p transfer of Skyscraper is a good one and this Ultra HD rendering takes it up a notch with a discernible increase in detail and visual depth. This film makes use of a variety of lighting schemes, and when called for, the cinematography makes use of shadows, fiery/streaming/cascading light and a mix of light/dark elements. It’s application here is used well drawing upon HDR’s ability to create stark contrast between the two. The use of shadows mixed with brilliant light looked very natural.

The nature of the photography didn't always allow the wide color gamut to shine but there were moments where the richness of color proved very fetching. Close ups reveal oodles of fine detail and abounding textures. Wide angle shots and the contrasting cinematography, going from brightly lit exteriors to the variety of dark, shadowy sequences look great in Ultra HD. I found the application of high dynamic range to be spot on and quite complimentary.

Some of the best examples of the presentation's effective use of HDR comes from its plethora of sequences involving the emblazoned tower, the fiery explosions, and nighttime shots of the neon lighting surrounding the town and the city landscapes. The specular highlights beginning with the fire’s outbreak, look terrific. The scenes shot in the low light of dusk or within the confines of the crippled and darkened tower, are equally rewarding, delivering a noticeably dimensional image. Looking at the presentation as a whole I would say that it makes for a distinct improvement when compared to the 1080p Blu-ray rendering.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

In comparing the DV and HDR-10 renderings I ran the same scenes using my reference Oppo UHD player (both in DV and forced HDR-10 and Samsung UHD player (HDR-10 only). The title looked terrific on both formats with respect to the reproduction of HDR. I found that the DV presentation offered better delineation of color, and specular highlights, which were most noticeable in the aforementioned sequences. I felt that the rendering of the finest details in shadows was a toss-up. Inevitably you can’t go wrong with either but, my preference was the Dolby Vision presentation.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be an entertaining listening experience that made excellent use of the platform. The immersive mix compliments the soundtrack and enhances the experience of watching the film. Once the fire in the tower gets rolling you get a taste of what is to come. The use of audio objects placed above, and at ear level is a mix of atmospherics, discrete effects, and music. This is done to excellent effect and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events. The film’s active moments are engaging as the revolving, rotating and encompassing surround sound comes at you from all sides.

There is also much to enjoy in scenes that aren’t actively intense as smaller elements in the background are articulated and dimensionally full. In general, this Dolby Atmos mix made for an involving surround sound experience. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere and discrete object placement.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/ShadowDetail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 96

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Skyscraper comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This is an excellent high definition rendering that sports plenty of fine detail and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective. Colors range from warm and vivid to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. Skyscraper looks great on Blu-ray.

The 7.1 Dolby True HD soundtrack (Atmos core) features crystal clear dialog, robust dynamics and when called upon, an engaging surround sound mix. I was impressed with the implementation of both spacial dimension, and directional effects. This worked hand in hand with a resonating and potent low end, and rousing music, that underscored the film’s thematic tone. I found this to be an involving audio presentation that complimented the video resulting in an entertaining viewing experience that enhanced the source material.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Skyscraper Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Skyscraper Blu-ray
    • Deleted Scenes with Commentary by Director Rawson Marshall Thurber – Go behind the scenes with Dwayne Johnson and the rest of the cast of Skyscraper.
    • Extended Scenes with Commentary by Director Rawson Marshall Thurber
    • Dwayne Johnson: Embodying a Hero – Go behind the scenes to see what it took for Dwayne Johnson to bring the intense character of Will Sawyer to life.
    • Inspiration – Meet real life amputee and motivational speaker Jeff Glasbrenner, the inspiration for Dwayne Johnson’s role of Will Sawyer. See how Jeff’s consultations helped inform Dwayne’s character from day one.
    • Opposing Forces – There’s no holding back as the women of Skyscraper get in on the action. Now, see first-hand what it took for Neve Campbell and Hannah Quinlivan to be fight ready.
    • Friends No More – When Dwayne Johnson and Pablo Schreiber met face to face, they immediately knew what they were up against. Witness first-hand the making of the intense apartment fight between two former on-screen friends, Will and Ben.
    • Kids in Action – In Skyscraper everyone gets in on the action, even the Sawyer children. Go on set with Noah Cottrell and McKenna Roberts to discover the moves behind their stunts.
    • Pineapple Pitch – Hear first-hand from Dwayne Johnson how writer/director Rawson Marshall Thurber pitched him the idea of Skyscraper. It may be a little fruitier than you think.
    • Feature Commentary by Director Rawson Marshall Thurber
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Written and directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber Skyscraper is a trite thriller that while forgettable, musters at least of modicum of entertainment, especially for Dwayne Johnson fans. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack featuring solid Ultra HD video, in HDR-10 and Dolby Vision flavors, excellent high definition audio/video, a terrific Dolby Atmos sound mix, and a decent supplemental set. I suspect that forgiving genre fans can overlook Skyscraper’s shortcomings, so in that vein it may be worth picking up for the right price. For those that aren’t so inclined, a rental is definitely recommended before purchase.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
djoberg, hdtv316 and dnoonie like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 10-01-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 10-01-2018, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Hey Ralph... a quick comment on your template for your reviews. Is there any chance you could add a "Dolby Atmos:" header before the paragraph talking about the Atmos mix? I always found it odd that I had to look under the Dolby Vision vs HDR-10 section to see your thoughts. I think it might better organize your stellar reviews
Legairre and Ralph Potts like this.

TV: LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: LG UP970
post #3 of 51 Old 10-01-2018, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I also saw this at the theater and would 100% agree with your review of the movie. I enjoy his movies, and he always has his own touch of humor in it, but it was kind of missing in this one (along with a lot of other things). I too, knew what I was getting into, low expectations, some action, entertainment... but got too many of the "eye rolling" scenes for me to make it a major purchase.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 10-01-2018, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
Hey Ralph... a quick comment on your template for your reviews. Is there any chance you could add a "Dolby Atmos:" header before the paragraph talking about the Atmos mix? I always found it odd that I had to look under the Dolby Vision vs HDR-10 section to see your thoughts. I think it might better organize your stellar reviews
Greetings,

Makes sense. Will do going forward. Thanks for your input!

Regards,
terminal33, Ruppgu and Nalleh like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #5 of 51 Old 10-01-2018, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Thanks for the review, Ralph. I don't expect much from the Rock's movies. And this one will serve as good popcorn entertainment for this coming Thanksgiving weekend (the Canadian one anyway).
Ralph Potts and darthray like this.
post #6 of 51 Old 10-01-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3540 Post(s)
Liked: 2694
No rating pips at all for me now.
post #7 of 51 Old 10-01-2018, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Greetings,

These are the same images as the ones that you WERE seeing last week. I have no idea..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #8 of 51 Old 10-01-2018, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Strange. I'm getting most, or all, of them. (The replay value is given in text, rather than pip.) MS Edge browser, Win 10.
post #9 of 51 Old 10-01-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

These are the same images as the ones that you WERE seeing last week. I have no idea..

Regards,
FF doesn't have place-holders or show them when I quote. IE shows them as insecure images with little x's.

So pretty much the same issue as before.
post #10 of 51 Old 10-01-2018, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Strange. I'm getting most, or all, of them. (The replay value is given in text, rather than pip.) MS Edge browser, Win 10.
Greetings,

The image tag limit for posts is 30. With reviews like this that require so many image tags I have to omit one, which I usually reserve for the Replay Value for simplicity sake. Glad you're seeing them. I can't account for the inconsistencies.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #11 of 51 Old 10-01-2018, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
FF doesn't have place-holders or show them when I quote. IE shows them as insecure images with little x's.

So pretty much the same issue as before.
Greetings,

They show for me in IE, Edge, Safari, and Chrome.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #12 of 51 Old 10-01-2018, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 2429
Quote:

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post

At least, some of you get them

Quote:
Greetings,

The image tag limit for posts is 30. With reviews like this that require so many image tags I have to omit one, which I usually reserve for the Replay Value for simplicity sake. Glad you're seeing them. I can't account for the inconsistencies.

Regards,

It is in fact weird, some seem to get them and some don't, also confuse
But all the score are around lower mid 90, good enough for me
And since I am a popcorn type of movies person, I will definitely get this one.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 10-02-2018 at 06:13 PM.
post #13 of 51 Old 10-02-2018, 12:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2110 Post(s)
Liked: 1602
I was thinking about the 3D because this movie has many scenes that seem like it would make good use of it, but this review makes it sound like the HDR might be a better choice. I'll wait until I see some reviews of the 3D first, but I'm leaning towards 4K now.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
post #14 of 51 Old 10-03-2018, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Quote:
Same here, also on the main AVS page the the "comments" button is gone as well don't know if it's related. Win 10, Chrome latest built.
jsgrise likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #15 of 51 Old 10-03-2018, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As for the movie I agree with the review pretty much, and I did like the the design of the building [exterior]. Didn't like the "Sphere" room, way too much cheese there.
Ralph Potts likes this.

The Hun
post #16 of 51 Old 10-03-2018, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Watched this yesterday and thought that this movie should be renamed "hdr highlights: the movie." So much hdr goodness in this one!
post #17 of 51 Old 10-03-2018, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Same here, also on the main AVS page the the "comments" button is gone as well don't know if it's related. Win 10, Chrome latest built.
Greetings,

That was an oversight on my part as I didn't insert the necessary link to the forum page. That is fixed now. As for the inability to see the rating pips. No idea. I erased the image cache on Chrome (latest build) and the images continue to appear with no problem.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #18 of 51 Old 10-03-2018, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Sorry you had to "take one for the team", Ralph, but I am glad to hear it lived up the trailer. Too many other fun things to watch to waste time with this one.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, Martin Logan Abyss and SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #19 of 51 Old 10-03-2018, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Greetings,

That was an oversight on my part as I didn't insert the necessary link to the forum page. That is fixed now. As for the inability to see the rating pips. No idea. I erased the image cache on Chrome (latest build) and the images continue to appear with no problem.

Regards,
the rating pips are back!
Ralph Potts likes this.

The Hun
post #20 of 51 Old 10-03-2018, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 244
so, Ralph's review makes it appear that the Rock is slowing turning into the Bruce Willis idea of taking any script available that provides a steady paycheck

from the review, no matter how good it looks, I'll avoid buying this even if it was in a bargain bin on Black Friday

thanks Ralph
post #21 of 51 Old 10-03-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, well some of them are. Apparently the others are still on vacation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pips.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	2463432  
post #22 of 51 Old 10-03-2018, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4114 Post(s)
Liked: 2291
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
so, Ralph's review makes it appear that the Rock is slowing turning into the Bruce Willis idea of taking any script available that provides a steady paycheck

from the review, no matter how good it looks, I'll avoid buying this even if it was in a bargain bin on Black Friday

thanks Ralph

Or you could just save your money altogether and watch Die Hard in 4k.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #23 of 51 Old 10-03-2018, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm, well some of them are. Apparently the others are still on vacation.
Greetings,

I have to shrug and shake my head. Sorry...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #24 of 51 Old 10-03-2018, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2110 Post(s)
Liked: 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

thanks Ralph
I personally felt it was a stupid, but fun movie. I'll be buying it.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
post #25 of 51 Old 10-03-2018, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
I personally felt it was a stupid, but fun movie. I'll be buying it.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
#metoo

If I were completely honest with myself, I re-watch the "stupid" movies a lot more frequently than the "good" movies in my collection. crazy action, pretty picture, big sound, (meh story) and Dwayne Johnson, the combination of these elements are just really easy on the eyes and ears (and the brain ) for a kick-back-and-relax good time, and I already have San Andreas, Rampage, Jumanji (new), F&F 6,7,8 in my UHD collection...Ralph's scores on visual & audio basically sealed it for me. Just my type of perfectly stupid movie

p.s. in an effort to defend my integrity, I never pay full-retail for "stupid" movies though
Ralph Potts and morphinapg like this.

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
Sony UBP-X700 (no longer waiting for DV)

Last edited by ian c 2; 10-03-2018 at 09:39 PM.
post #26 of 51 Old 10-10-2018, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 1531
The credits are rolling and I have to say Ralph...you were "right on" once again. This was a decent action flick with excellent PQ (I was mesmerized by many of the panoramic aerial views of Hong Kong, especially in the opening scenes) and the Dolby Atmos mix (yes, I sprang for the UHD release on this one!) was phenomenal! My wife is in Arizona for a week so I'm able to turn my Blus to Reference Level if I so choose, which in this case, I did!! I echo every point you made about the Atmos mix!

Let me just say that I'm a HUGE fan of The Rock, especially his action movies. I really don't care that I have to "suspend disbelief" on many of them. He puts his all in his characters and at least I "believe in them!"
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sony XBR75X940D...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Sony CDP-C725...Roku Premiere Plus

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #27 of 51 Old 10-11-2018, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
The credits are rolling and I have to say Ralph...you were "right on" once again. This was a decent action flick with excellent PQ (I was mesmerized by many of the panoramic aerial views of Hong Kong, especially in the opening scenes) and the Dolby Atmos mix (yes, I sprang for the UHD release on this one!) was phenomenal! My wife is in Arizona for a week so I'm able to turn my Blus to Reference Level if I so choose, which in this case, I did!! I echo every point you made about the Atmos mix!

Let me just say that I'm a HUGE fan of The Rock, especially his action movies. I really don't care that I have to "suspend disbelief" on many of them. He puts his all in his characters and at least I "believe in them!"
Greetings,

Great stuff Denny. Yeah, I thought this one was fun too.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #28 of 51 Old 10-12-2018, 01:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 404
So what was the rating on this Ralph, I see the replay value only got 2.5 stars, but I don't see pips for the actual rating ?
My guess is 2.5 to 3 marks for the "Film"
post #29 of 51 Old 10-12-2018, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
So what was the rating on this Ralph, I see the replay value only got 2.5 stars, but I don't see pips for the actual rating ?
My guess is 2.5 to 3 marks for the "Film"
Greetings,

2.5 Jeff. Sorry about the problem with the graphics. I have resolved it going forward but, for some there will be issues with seeing them on past reviews.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #30 of 51 Old 10-13-2018, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Rented this on VUDU in 4K. Didn't look bad at all. Not worth a purchase at all in my opinion.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews