62Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 09-04-2018, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Hereditary Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

After the family matriarch passes away, a grieving family is haunted by tragic and disturbing occurrences, and begin to unravel dark secrets.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Lionsgate - 2018
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 127 minutes
Genre: Horror/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.00:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Toni Collette, Gabriel Byrne, Ann Dowd, Alex Wolff, Milly Shapiro
Written & Directed by: Ari Aster
Music by: Colin Stetson
Region Code: A

Release Date: September 4, 2018

"Evil Runs in the Family"

My Take:

When Ellen, the matriarch of the Graham family, passes away, her daughter's family begins to unravel cryptic and increasingly terrifying secrets about their ancestry. The more they discover, the more they find themselves trying to outrun the sinister fate they seem to have inherited. Making his feature debut, writer-director Ari Aster unleashes a nightmare vision of a domestic breakdown that exhibits the craft and precision of a nascent auteur, transforming a familial tragedy into something ominous and deeply disquieting, and pushing the horror movie into chilling new terrain with its shattering portrait of heritage gone to hell.

It’s funny but it seems like there are many people that simply don’t watch horror films. When I bring up the subject of any particular scary flick I get “I don’t like or I don’t watch scary movies”. That of course isn’t everyone but it’s more than you think. The reason for this regardless of what people say is that they simply don’t like the feeling of anxiety, suspense and consternation brought on by watching them. For me some of that is true as well but it really depends on the type of horror the film employs. Horror that works on you psychologically combined with things that go bump in the night followed by foreboding dread is the kind of stuff that in my opinion makes for the best hair-raising movies.

Hereditary is just such a movie. It’s one-part psychological thriller and one-part horror movie. The narrative is a wonderful slow burn that carefully places its pieces, builds suspense and spends its final moments raising the hairs on the back of your neck. Mind you there is probably nothing here that we haven’t seen before but the execution which is aided by effective use of lighting and camera work, is quite good. The script is solid, tossing in elements of drama, familial discord and just the right hint of victims seeing/hearing things then trying to ascertain if their crazy or perhaps worse. I liked how this one felt like a ghost story at one moment and then supernatural at the next, all the while keeping you teetering back forth wondering where it was going. I will say that it was one of those creepy flicks that had me thinking about it well after the credits rolled.

Toni Collette is simply fantastic as her performances serves as the springboard for the strong turns by Alex Wolff and Gabriel Byrne. Hereditary is paced just a tad slow for a genre film but, the reward bears fruit, delivering a spooky good chiller that my family and I enjoyed quite a bit.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for horror violence, disturbing images, language, drug use and brief graphic nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 92

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Audio: 88

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element):

Hereditary comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Hereditary was derived from a 3.4K source, and rendered from a 2K DI. From a cinematic perspective, this film was shot with a specific visual aesthetic in mind and that comes through in this presentation. At times the image is nearly devoid of color, while at others, has a pleasingly diverse palate, that sets the mood of a scene. Shot digitally the image has a smooth aesthetic, with clean delineation that draws out plenty of detail, in both close-up and wide-angle camera shots. Blacks are deep without compromise to fidelity, as the layers of detail seen with them is readily apparent. Contrast abounds as the richness of the depth seen in grays, whites and mid-tones pops in the film’s variety of low level sequences. Fleshtones adhere to the film’s visual aesthetic and appear consistent throughout the presentation.

As I alluded to earlier Hereditary isn’t a predominantly colorful film however its cooler chromatic hues, sepia tones and variants of blue/red benefited from UHD's wider color gamut, appearing warmer and pleasing to the eye. There is intermittent use of visual elements that utilize high dynamic range. I wasn't especially impressed with its application although some of that may be owed to the nature of the photography. There were instances where bright elements looked appreciably vibrant but, none really stood out.

This Ultra HD rendering makes the most of the film’s elements, which are excellent. Looking at the 1080p version, which is solid in its own right, the difference is noticeable, but not what I would describe as night and day. That being said, there is no question about which of the two makes for the most engaging viewing experience.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for Hereditary, I found the HDR rendering to essentially be identical. As I alluded to earlier, this film’s elements aren’t consistently lent to bright color and vibrant highlights. When I switched back and forth between the DV and HDR-10 renderings, any minute differences were negligible and not enough to warrant a rating difference. Both looked terrific, leaving me similarly satisfied with what I saw.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has good dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. Discrete rear channel activity isn’t extensive however the elements of fright provide an enriching level of immersion which is punctuated by palpably rich bass. Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel and renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction. This surround mix capably handles the subtle intricacies thrown at by this soundtrack as it augments the thematic tone of this film.

** The decision not to offer a Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix for this film is a curious one as I believe it would have enhanced the film’s thematic impact.**

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Hereditary comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video.

This is an excellent high definition rendering that sports plenty of fine detail and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective. Colors range from warm and vivid to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. Framed at 2.00:1 images onscreen have excellent depth, and a stimulating visual aura. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. Hereditary looks great on Blu-ray.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Hereditary Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Hereditary Blu-ray
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Cursed: The True Nature of Hereditary Featurette
  • Evil in Miniature Photo Gallery
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Written and directed by Aris Aster Hereditary is a multifaceted genre entry that is well executed and excellent hair-raising fun. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack featuring excellent overall video quality, engaging lossless sound and a middling supplemental package. Hereditary should be high on the list of genre fans looking for a quality film to watch on a stormy night.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
Rengozu, 5x10, tezster and 1 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-04-2018, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 286
I shudder to even think of this movie. Gave me the heebie jeebies for realz.

The scene near the end in the attic with the rope, man, I couldn't get it out of my head for days. Freaky. Disturbing and disturbed.

I remember getting angry several times at the parents for bad parenting, early in the film, but really, no matter what they did they were screwed. Dreadful movie, in the best possible meaning of the term.

For a horror movie it was nice to see a slow build up to a crazy finale. Must see. Daughter was creepy AF too. Very well cast all around.

I'd love to see more shenanigans from this rag-tag, minding their own bidness treehouse gang in a sequel, so here's hoping there is one!
post #3 of 34 Old 09-04-2018, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2029 Post(s)
Liked: 1960
^^^ like this, I have heard such good/creepy things about this movie. It is a blind buy. I was never a fan of horror films until I set up a home theater, and now it is my favorite thing to watch. Nothing immerses me the way horror films do.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 09-04-2018, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
This is on my list, wasnt sure how good it was, sounds like its worth seeing.

If you havent see Martyrs 2008, look it up. Guarantee you will feel uncomfortable throughout the movie, very well done.

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #5 of 34 Old 09-04-2018, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
I shudder to even think of this movie. Gave me the heebie jeebies for realz.

The scene near the end in the attic with the rope, man, I couldn't get it out of my head for days. Freaky. Disturbing and disturbed.

I remember getting angry several times at the parents for bad parenting, early in the film, but really, no matter what they did they were screwed. Dreadful movie, in the best possible meaning of the term.

For a horror movie it was nice to see a slow build up to a crazy finale. Must see. Daughter was creepy AF too. Very well cast all around.

I'd love to see more shenanigans from this rag-tag, minding their own bidness treehouse gang in a sequel, so here's hoping there is one!
excellent
Gonna make sure the kids watch it with us this Friday

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #6 of 34 Old 09-04-2018, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Something happens pretty early in the film that is one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen in a movie. As much as I want to revisit the film... it's going to be a while before I'm ready

LG B7A
Pioneer VSX-832
Sony UBP-X700
Apple TV 4K
Xbox One S
post #7 of 34 Old 09-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Normally I agree with most critics’ opinions, they are right more often than not, but I could not disagree more with them about this movie. The critics loved Hereditary, I hated it.

The family drama felt forced and contrived. The big reveal of what is really happening near the end did not make any sense within the context of the plot. I did not find this movie scary whatsoever and it was a bore and a chore to sit through.

The critics got this one wrong. Your mileage may vary. A big skip for me.
djgcue and JediMindTrick like this.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360 S with HD DVD drive; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #8 of 34 Old 09-04-2018, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Wow UHD. Being this is still a small film from A24, I didn't think we would see this on UHD, this bodes well for smaller, niche films. As far as the film itself I think Ralph described it well. I see it as a family drama like a good Lifetime movie (they have made some good ones) with a family dealing with problems and loss that morphs into a David Cronenberg horror type of film. It's unsettling.
Ralph Potts and rboster like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #9 of 34 Old 09-04-2018, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 1996
I really liked this from my theater viewing...I loved it in home theater experience. The sound designed played such a key role in creating the creepy build up throughout the film. The performances from top to bottom were outstanding. I can't imagine what kind of emotional toll it must have taken on Toni Collet and Alex Wolf in playing these roles.

It's a film that deserves multiple viewings. I expect it be an annual viewing experience.
post #10 of 34 Old 09-04-2018, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Thanks Ralph for the review.

I watched it twice in 4 days! that's how much i liked it, and in my opinion it's the best horror movie for 2018.

It's one of those movies that the more you watch the more you understand, a little bit of symbolism keeps you guessing and thinking which i like.
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.

AT 8200e LCR & SRD | AT 4400 x 4 SB & FH | AT IC-6 OBA x 4 TM & TR | SVS SB16-Ultra x 2 |
Epson 5040 4K | SI Black Diamond 113'' | Wireworld HDMI , Spkr , P.Cords & XLRs |
Emotiva XPA Amps x 3 | Marantz AV7703 | Steiger Dynamics Era HTPC |
post #11 of 34 Old 09-05-2018, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Thanks for the review. I saw it at the theater and thought it was just ok. This is coming from a guy that has seen it all when it comes to this genre so to be fair I am just immuned to this.
G-Rex likes this.

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM
post #12 of 34 Old 09-07-2018, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Hi Ralph, I am one of those people you mentioned who avoid scary movies so I will pass on this one. But I did appreciate the review as usual. Great job.

Cal68
Ralph Potts likes this.

Cal68
post #13 of 34 Old 09-07-2018, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Nothing like a good horror movie on a rainy Friday night with a hamburger and fries in hand to kick off the weekend !
Looking forward to this one !
Ralph Potts and Chiflyfisher like this.
post #14 of 34 Old 09-07-2018, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally got my copy in, watched it with the wife, parents, my 9 and 12 yr old
Nobody thought it was scary, a bit disappointed

Wasn’t the movie to really show off 4K or hdr

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
post #15 of 34 Old 09-10-2018, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Finally got my copy in, watched it with the wife, parents, my 9 and 12 yr old
Nobody thought it was scary, a bit disappointed

Wasn’t the movie to really show off 4K or hdr
You watched this with your 9 and 12 year old?

Wow...to each his own, but this movie would be way too disturbing to even my 13 year old.
Jive Turkey and connoralpha like this.
post #16 of 34 Old 09-10-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroatl View Post
You watched this with your 9 and 12 year old?

Wow...to each his own, but this movie would be way too disturbing to even my 13 year old.
Yep

A much better horro movie we watched after this one was called “incident in ghost land”
Now that was scary!

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
post #17 of 34 Old 09-11-2018, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 1531
Thanks Ralph for your excellent review where you have, yet once again, "whetted my appetite." I had been debating on renting this...perhaps now I will BUY it!

FTR, I am NOT one of those in the minority who doesn't like horror movies; I love this genre. And like you I prefer those with a good "build up" that moves you psychologically and makes you think. In other words, I'm NOT a fan of the "slasher" films with gratuitous violence.

Sony XBR75X940D...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Sony CDP-C725...Roku Premiere Plus

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #18 of 34 Old 09-12-2018, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Thanks Ralph for your excellent review where you have, yet once again, "whetted my appetite." I had been debating on renting this...perhaps now I will BUY it!

FTR, I am NOT one of those in the minority who doesn't like horror movies; I love this genre. And like you I prefer those with a good "build up" that moves you psychologically and makes you think. In other words, I'm NOT a fan of the "slasher" films with gratuitous violence.
Greetings,

Excellent Denny! Looking forward to your thoughts after you've seen it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #19 of 34 Old 09-13-2018, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I’m with you here too. Ralph your second paragraph in “my take” is what I love most about the genre. My all time favorite “horror” movie is not considered by some to be horror at all “The Omen” from 1976.

I’ve never even heard of this movie and am not sure how. I just put it into my amazon cart and will watch for the price point to drop to $19.99. Looking forward to it.
Ralph Potts and djoberg like this.

Living Room | Marantz SR6011 | Samsung LNB467500 | Oppo BDP 103|B&W CM8S2 (L/R) | B&W CM Centre S2 |B&W ASW 608 Sub Family Room | Denon x4300h | Samsung UN55KS8000| Marantz CD6006 | Panasonic DMP UB900 | B&W 707S2 (L/R) | Golden Ear INVISA HTR7000 (LH/C/RH) | Golden Ear INVISA MPX (LR/RR) | Golden Ear Forcefield 4 Sub | Control 4 EA-1 Controller | Definitive Technology AW6500 (outdoor - Zone 2).
post #20 of 34 Old 09-16-2018, 01:06 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2536 Post(s)
Liked: 3110
Wow, I thought this movie was excellent! Watched alone last night with the full HT factor and it creeped me out big time! Excellent audio as well.

Already looking forward to my next watch!
Ralph Potts and djoberg like this.
post #21 of 34 Old 09-20-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks Toe for the encouraging post! I had decided to rent this before buying the UHD version but your post may result in a buy.
Ralph Potts and Toe like this.

Sony XBR75X940D...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Sony CDP-C725...Roku Premiere Plus

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #22 of 34 Old 09-20-2018, 07:09 PM
Toe

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks Toe for the encouraging post! I had decided to rent this before buying the UHD version but your post may result in a buy.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did djoberg! Curious to hear your opinion once you watch it.

I just got "Ghost Stories" in the mail from Netflix. Know nothing about this one so should be interesting.
djoberg and Ralph Potts like this.
post #23 of 34 Old 09-25-2018, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I purchased it (the 1080p version) at Best Buy this weekend but it may be awhile before I can actually view it. I may even wait to view it with my older sister who LOVES horror movies as much (or more) than I do.
Toe and Ralph Potts like this.

post #24 of 34 Old 10-08-2018, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Wow, I thought this movie was excellent! Watched alone last night with the full HT factor and it creeped me out big time! Excellent audio as well.

Already looking forward to my next watch!
I will FINALLY be watching this (alone) tomorrow (Tuesday) night and it will be, as with you, "with the full HT factor." I was going to wait for my sister, who is coming here this coming weekend, but I can't put it off any longer. I will weigh in with my "verdict" as the credits are rolling...
Ralph Potts and Toe like this.

post #25 of 34 Old 10-08-2018, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 434
I also watched this movie twice! I thought it was excellent - great video and sound! Toni Collette and Ann Dowd are a couple of my favorite actresses. Alex Wolf was pretty good too.
Ralph Potts, Toe and djoberg like this.

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.
post #26 of 34 Old 10-09-2018, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The "credits are rolling" so I'm weighing in!

The GOOD: The acting was topnotch, especially from Toni Collette (and the child actors). The "slip into madness" on the part of the mother and son was paced perfectly. The PQ was, for the most part, "Reference Quality." And last, but not least, the Audio Mix was phenomenal! I turned it up to -3 for the whole film and kept thinking how blessed I am to have a very good speaker system.

The BAD: I have to be honest, the ENDING (the last 15-20 minutes) was a BIG LETDOWN. See "Spoiler."

Spoiler!

Knowing my sister, I think she would prefer The Conjuring to this one (as I do). That film is done well too (excellent acting, good pacing, topnotch PQ/AQ and no resorting to gratuitous language and nudity) without a bizarre ending.
connoralpha, Toe and Ralph Potts like this.

Last edited by djoberg; 10-09-2018 at 09:41 PM.
post #27 of 34 Old 10-10-2018, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

The GOOD: The acting was topnotch, especially from Toni Collette (and the child actors). The "slip into madness" on the part of the mother and son was paced perfectly. The PQ was, for the most part, "Reference Quality." And last, but not least, the Audio Mix was phenomenal! I turned it up to -3 for the whole film and kept thinking how blessed I am to have a very good speaker system.

The BAD: I have to be honest, the ENDING (the last 15-20 minutes) was a BIG LETDOWN. See "Spoiler."

Spoiler!

Knowing my sister, I think she would prefer The Conjuring to this one (as I do). That film is done well too (excellent acting, good pacing, topnotch PQ/AQ and no resorting to gratuitous language and nudity) without a bizarre ending.
Greetings,

Thanks Denny! I can certainly understand the points raised in your spoiler section. I do agree that The Conjuring is a better genre film but, wouldn't place this one in the same class as I find it to be more chiller than horror. Great stuff!

Regards,
djoberg and Toe like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #28 of 34 Old 10-14-2018, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I watched this last night and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Spoilers
I thought Charlie was going to have a bigger role and was shocked when she died.
It was a bit of a stretch that Peter went straight home and into bed after she was killed
No cops. Straight into the same car driving? Hard to believe that.
It took me a while to figure out what the heck was going on until Annie got back into the books and noted a mans body was needed.

You really have to pay attention to the movie. I expected it to be more of a psychological push but still found it very good. As a side note, audio could have been so much better and provided more impact. That constant rumbling of the bass honestly got a little tiresome. I will definitely watch it again.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Living Room | Marantz SR6011 | Samsung LNB467500 | Oppo BDP 103|B&W CM8S2 (L/R) | B&W CM Centre S2 |B&W ASW 608 Sub Family Room | Denon x4300h | Samsung UN55KS8000| Marantz CD6006 | Panasonic DMP UB900 | B&W 707S2 (L/R) | Golden Ear INVISA HTR7000 (LH/C/RH) | Golden Ear INVISA MPX (LR/RR) | Golden Ear Forcefield 4 Sub | Control 4 EA-1 Controller | Definitive Technology AW6500 (outdoor - Zone 2).
post #29 of 34 Old 10-14-2018, 08:05 PM
Toe

Quote:

Spoiler!

Great write up! Always enjoy reading your posts. I can totally understand your perspective on the ending and it's one of those things that can either really work for the viewer or not. The ending worked for me, but it's very subjective of course. Glad you enjoyed it otherwise though!

I also love The Conjuring!
djoberg and Ralph Potts like this.
post #30 of 34 Old 10-14-2018, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Great write up! Always enjoy reading your posts. I can totally understand your perspective on the ending and it's one of those things that can either really work for the viewer or not. The ending worked for me, but it's very subjective of course. Glad you enjoyed it otherwise though!

I also love The Conjuring!
Thanks Toe!

I watched The Conjuring (along with Annabelle) last night. The last time I watched it I had my old speaker system (a modest 5.1 set up) but man did it sound good with my 5.2.4 SVS system. Here is a very short review that I put on the PQ Thread:

http://afterconvert.com/forum/150-b...l#post56952982
Toe likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews