140Likes

post #1 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Ready Player One Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

When the creator of a virtual reality world called the OASIS dies, he releases a video in which he challenges all OASIS users to find his Easter Egg, which will give the finder his fortune.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 140 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Starring: Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke, Ben Mendelsohn, T.J. Miller, Simon Pegg, Mark Rylance
Directed by: Steven Spielberg
Music by: Alan Silvestri
Written by: Zak Penn, Ernest Cline - based on the novel by Ernest Cline
Region Code: A

Release Date: July 24, 2018

"Reality is the Only Thing That’s Real"

My Take:

In the year 2045, the real world is a harsh place. The only time Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) truly feels alive is when he escapes to the OASIS, an immersive virtual universe where most of humanity spend their days. In the OASIS, you can go anywhere, do anything, be anyone—the only limits are your own imagination. The OASIS was created by the brilliant and eccentric James Halliday (Mark Rylance), who left his immense fortune and total control of the OASIS to the winner of a three-part contest he designed to find a worthy heir. When Wade conquers the first challenge of the reality-bending treasure hunt, he and his friends—known as the High Five—are hurled into a fantastical universe of discovery and danger to save the OASIS and their world.

I came of age during the late 1970s and 1980s and really enjoy films that provide the type of nostalgia that harkens back to those times. Ready Player One beats to a pop culture drum that resonates with folks from several generations and is set to a narrative of sci-fi adventure that favors more of a style over substance approach. In the hands of director Steven Spielberg that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The plot is simple, the characters aren’t particularly deep and the action is typical. What the makes the film fun is its imagination in stitching together a story the incorporates the depiction of fandom, with a heart. No, it’s not destined for greatness but, is assuredly going to have a definitive following, especially for those that really get what it was striving for.

The production elements are spot on, complimenting its context and tone. I enjoyed the cache of young talent chosen to play the team of principle characters. Ben Mendelsohn has come into his own when it comes to playing the villain and, you can never go wrong with allowing T.J. Miller to add his voice to any project. Ready Player One isn’t a four-star movie but, it comes awful close and made for an entertaining experience that I look forward to coming back to.

Replay Value: 4 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of sci-fi action violence, bloody images, some suggestive material, partial nudity and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 98

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 92

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Ready Player One comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Ready Player One was derived from digital/film sources, rendered from a 2K DI, and up-converted to 4K.

Ready Player One is a sci-fi/fantasy/action-adventure film that features two worlds that blend of mix cinematic visuals, and this Ultra HD rendering makes the most of its elements. With a discernible increase in detail and emboldened chromatic highlights the image appears sharper and vibrant when compared to the 1080p version. Primary colors are pleasingly rich while whites appear gradational and punchy. The spectrum of secondary colors literally pop off of the screen. The opening sequence which introduces The Oasis provides a glimpse of what is to come regarding what the presentation’s wide color gamut has to offer. The combination of rich color, sepia, and gradational gray tones look absolutely stunning.

I also enjoyed the implementation of HDR. Primarily speaking this isn’t an overtly bright film. The added dimension in blacks, and shadows during the low-level scenes, such as those that take place in the Stacks, or in the Oasis on in areas like Planet Doom, the night club or in the realm containing the third key. The cinematography makes use of shadows, streaming light and a mix of light/dark elements. It’s application here is used very well, drawing upon HDR’s ability to create stark contrast between the two. In the aforementioned sequences, the blend of shadow detail/depth of field offset by the presence of light at varying levels, looked very great, and when applied, brilliant light caused me to blink/squint in reaction to it.

The film has a variety of sequences that make use of close up camera angles that show off the superb rendering of detail. At times, the level of minutia is excellent, as even the finest nuance in the physical features, clothing and interior spaces is resolvable. The CGI featured in the film has superb depth which adds an enriching, and eye-catching aesthetic to them. There is some innate softening due to the extensive CGI, but it’s rarely depreciating.

The difference between viewing Ready Player One in high definition and Ultra HD is fairly close, but there is no question that it benefitted from the increase in resolution, emboldened color and high dynamic range treatment. It looks terrific, plain and simple.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

In comparing the DV and HDR-10 renderings I ran the same scenes using my reference Oppo UHD player (both in DV and forced HDR-10 and Samsung UHD player (HDR-10 only). The title looked terrific on both formats with respect to the reproduction of HDR. I found that the DV presentation offered deeper delineation of color, and specular highlights, which were most noticeable in key sequences in the Oasis. I felt that the rendering of the finest details in shadows was a toss-up. Inevitably you can’t go wrong with either but, my preference was the Dolby Vision presentation.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the moderately active variety that makes ample use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is comprised mostly of discrete effects, with some ambient extension. This is done to good effect, creating a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events in an involving fashion.

The aforementioned race sequence in chapter two is lots of fun as the soundstage comes alive with head turning effects in the form of falling debris, overhead pans and fiery explosions. Similarly, the scene where Parzival, Art3mis and company knock out the orb’s forcefield and take on Sorrento and his minions, in pursuit of the third key, contains a host of swirling effects, near field pans and ambient extension that rotate around the soundstage, shifting overhead, passing by at ear level and coming directly at the listening position.

I found the overall mix to be engaging, utilizing the platform to accentuate its thematic tone but, it should be noted that this isn’t a noticeably active Atmos presentation in terms of its use of audio object place in the height channels. As I have pointed out before, that isn’t a prerequisite for a good mix per se but, for some that is a necessity. Truth be told I have fun with this one and look forward to revisiting it.

** It should be noted that the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is the default audio option. Listening to the Dolby Atmos mix requires entering the audio set up menu and manually selecting it.**

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 100

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:

Ready Player One comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video, lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound, and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This film utilizes a variety of settings, visual schemes and cinematographic processes to create its world (s) and I had high hopes for its presentations on Blu-ray. I wasn't disappointed. The video is sharp with a pristine quality that enhances its seemingly flawless rendering of detail. Images are gradationally adept and three dimensionally depicted so that wide angle perspectives, unevenly lit interiors, and shadow laden environs have a seemingly infinite level of depth. This presentation delivers some of the richest and velvety textured blacks that I have seen on Blu-ray.

Colors are vibrant, delineated and when called for, deeply saturated and warm, without appearing unnatural. The palette of secondary hues used are eye pleasing and vivid. Contrast is well balanced and dynamic which energizes colors, empowers whites/grays and engages blacks. The video has a pleasing aesthetic that plays hand in hand with the film’s stark visual style, providing an incredibly entertaining experience that looks superb regardless of the size of your display.

The DTS-HD MA 5.1 and 7.1 Dolby True HD (Atmos core) soundtracks have solid dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes excellent use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The music score, coupled along with the integration of discrete and ambient sound effects, plays an intricate role in this involving and engagingly active surround mix. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment makes for a notably enveloping surround experience.

Low frequency effects work in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the low-level bass and dynamic impact associated with the action-based sequences. The race sequence in chapter 2 sets the stage for what the tracks has in store delivering a rousing listening experience that is punctuated by pounding/resonating bass that delivers the goods. Speaking of slamming bass, there is a sequence in chapter 11, where Sorrento sets off a world leveling device, that is sure to bottom out subwoofers that are less than up to the task.

Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. This is a terrific audio presentation that enhances the film while providing a thoroughly involving home theater experience.

** It should be noted that the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is the default audio option. Listening to the Dolby Atmos mix requires entering the audio set up menu and manually selecting it.**

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Ready Player One Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Ready Player One Blu-ray
    • Game Changer: Cracking the Code
    • Effects for a Brave New World
    • Level Up: Sound for the Future
    • High Score: Endgame
    • Ernie & Tye's Excellent Adventure
    • The '80’s: You’re The Inspiration
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Ready Player One is a visually engaging and entertaining sci-fi adventure that tantalizes with its plethora of pop culture references that inspire warm feelings of nostalgia as we root for its young heroes. It arrives on Ultra HD Blu-ray/Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Combo Pack that delivers sparkling image quality, while invigorating the listening experience with a solid Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix. Also included is a middling assortment of extras that are worth exploring for fans. Ready Player One isn’t destined for classic status however, it has plenty to offer and is easily worth picking up for the right price on the platform best suited for your home theater.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 07-16-2018 at 05:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 3954 Post(s)
Liked: 2697
Two things.

(1) All of the recent reviews using my Safari Browser on a Mac are not displaying the individual ratings correctly. See the following:

(2) I will probably buy this movie given the 100 rating for both audio and video. I have a 9.X.6 system and it will be interesting to see if this is yet another movie that is "locked" into the 7.X.4 speaker configuration instead of making it truly object based. Why not mix all Atmos movies as "true" objects and let the AVR/PrePro use whatever speakers are present on the system? (I know. Wishful thinking)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Review.png
Views:	1334
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2428800  

Mark 12:30 ][ "Hold Up" By Leslie Austin ][ The Oconee Theater

"Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles. It takes away today's peace"
post #3 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
This entire movie is a HDR demo. Just looks incredible.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | roon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Two things.

(1) All of the recent reviews using my Safari Browser on a Mac are not displaying the individual ratings correctly. See the following:

(snip)

(2) I will probably buy this movie given the 100 rating for both audio and video. I have a 9.X.6 system and it will be interesting to see if this is yet another movie that is "locked" into the 7.X.4 speaker configuration instead of making it truly object based. Why not mix all Atmos movies as "true" objects and let the AVR/PrePro use whatever speakers are present on the system? (I know. Wishful thinking)
It's also buggered on a Windows 10 PC, for those few of us using the Edge browser. The pips show up in Chrome and Internet Explorer, though.

Must be some web page standards issue. I'm too ignorant to know whether it was due to an update to whatever engine these forums use, or whether to blame the browsers.
Jive Turkey likes this.
post #5 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 01:18 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2536 Post(s)
Liked: 3110
Thanks for the review Ralph. Tempted to blind buy this!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #6 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Two things.

Greetings,

This is an ongoing issue. There was a thread started in the Forum Operations forum http://afterconvert.com/forum/43-fo...s-reviews.html. So far to no avail. So sorry about this!

Regards,
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 469
This is a blind buy for me. I purchased the 4k version and looking forward to watching it. Thanks for a great review Ralph.

dave-t
Ralph Potts and audiofan1 like this.
post #8 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 147
GREAT REVIEW, Ralph!

It justifies my already blind buy, much to the wife's chagrin....

Can't wait to watch it on DV.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Ptree:

Sometimes, it's only afterwards, I find that I'm not there.
post #9 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4947 Post(s)
Liked: 5203
Rp1 3d

Thanks for the review Ralph! We recently watched the UHD presentation and the 3D just yesterday. The international 3D version was released a bit early and includes the 2D BD + ATMOS so a quick 3D + ATMOS remux is simple on this title.

for 3D fans, it gets an A++. The 2D is excellent but the 3D takes us into this game in a way the missing dimension can't.

ATMOS track was excellent with great LFE.. the 2nd chapter race scene was viewed over and over again, at least 1/2 dozen times - absolute edge of the seat thrill ride

post #10 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 128
The 3D Blu-ray is available in North America at quite a range of prices. There are import options, including a 4K + 3D release.

Steven Spielberg used VR gear to assist both his directing and the actors while shooting the OASIS motion capture and considers 3D to be an important part of the storytelling of Ready Player One.

See the Ready Player One 3D thread.
SuperFist and mavericks64 like this.
post #11 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 174
"Speaking of slamming bass, there is a sequence in chapter 11, where Sorrento sets off a world leveling device, that is sure to bottom out subwoofers that are less than up to the task."

I mentioned this a few weeks ago in the low frequency content thread. I'll have to look and see how it rates, but the sustained bass is awesome.

Glad to see another stellar review of this title.

post #12 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 2141
When you watch this, be on the lookout for not quite "easter eggs" but some things to bring a little flavor and some humor to the virtual world. Thanks for the review Ralph.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #13 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I picked this up on VUDU 4K with Dolby Vision because I had some credits that I needed to cash in. The AV is stupendous in this film.

As for the movie itself, I was left sorely disappointed. RP1 is essentially a bunch of cynical manipulative cameos and easter eggs strung together with no coherent plot whatsoever. Some of the performances are really bad, especially Mendelsohn with his overacting and his assistant who was terrible (I don't know the actress's name but she was also really bad in Killjoys, Tomb Raider, and Ant Man).

The movie is worth the AV experience but the movie itself is the usual excessive contrived Spielberg schlock.
fatuglyguy and dapakattack like this.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360 S with HD DVD drive; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #14 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Man I still fail to see why they don't release a 4k +3D combo pack. I'd be willing to pay extra for it, but I'm not buying both sets separately. Also, doesn't it get released July 24th? Gotta plan movie night so I have to make sure it gets released on the right date.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #15 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Hi Ralph

Thanks for bringing another movie to my attention that I had never even heard of before I read your review (maybe my family is right and I sometimes live under a rock!). I'll have to put this movie on my rental queue at my favorite 4K UHD rental place and see what it is like before I decide if I want to purchase the movie or not. This movie is another example of a movie that I would never had known about if you had not reviewed it. Keep them coming!

Cal68
Ralph Potts likes this.

Cal68
post #16 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Thanks for the review!

I have this in my purchase queue at Blu-ray.com!. I would not have guessed from the previews that this movie would rate as well with you.

@audioguy, Firefox is having trouble with the ratings display too, Chrome displays everything fine. I also find that posting a message that CRs are doubled up...go figure.

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #17 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 3954 Post(s)
Liked: 2697
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
@audioguy, Firefox is having trouble with the ratings display too, Chrome displays everything fine.
Based upon your comment, I tried Chrome and it worked fine in that regard. So I guess I'll use Chrome for while.

Mark 12:30 ][ "Hold Up" By Leslie Austin ][ The Oconee Theater

"Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles. It takes away today's peace"
post #18 of 124 Old 07-15-2018, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Man I still fail to see why they don't release a 4k +3D combo pack. I'd be willing to pay extra for it, but I'm not buying both sets separately. Also, doesn't it get released July 24th? Gotta plan movie night so I have to make sure it gets released on the right date.
There is an international 4k/3D special edition steelbook combo pack; however, it is pricey at $60:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was the same price on eBay for a while; however, last time I looked there, it was sold out....still for sale on Amazon.

Ptree:

Sometimes, it's only afterwards, I find that I'm not there.
post #19 of 124 Old 07-16-2018, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I find it quite ironic that such a great number of modern productions come out in UHD through upscaling the masters.

I get that "it's all about HDR", on the other hand UHD stays for Ultra High Definition... I'd like to see releases like this labeled as UHMD Ultra High Made-up Definition.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #20 of 124 Old 07-16-2018, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Greetings,

It streets on July 24th..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #21 of 124 Old 07-16-2018, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2029 Post(s)
Liked: 1960
I thought this was such a fun movie. I have rewatched the racing scene towards the beginning at least 2-3 times. It looked great streaming, so I am really excited for the disc.
Ralph Potts and Tim Glover like this.
post #22 of 124 Old 07-16-2018, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 393
This is one that I missed in theaters. I wanted to go, but I wanted to finish the book first, and by the time I was done with the book, it was gone. Needless to say, I was excited for this release.

A few notes on the book. As a guy who grew up in the same era as the character Halladay, every moment rings true. I really enjoyed it, if for no other reason than the nostalgia. My biggest pet peeve about the book was that it seemed like every other chapter contained a huge retro-dump. The story and action would be trucking along, then we'd get a 3-paragraph dump of countless nostalgic details, then it went back into the story. They could've been scattered throughout, instead of piled up every couple chapters.

So, on to the movie. I ordered it on VUDU so I could watch it sooner, and they'll be sending the UHD upon release. A little more expensive, but I can usually make some of that back with the extra digital code that arrives with the disc.

I thought the movie was really good. It had the same nostalgic feeling as the book, and, being a movie, it was better at evenly sprinkling the retro-dumps throughout.

Obviously there was a lot missing from the book. Some things were done out of order. Some sequences were completely different. From what I understand, there were a ton of licensing issues, and some IP owners simply chose to not allow inclusion. They're loss, frankly.

I'm excited to watch again once the disc arrives. The digital version looked great, should be fantastic on disc.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #23 of 124 Old 07-16-2018, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsis View Post
There is an international 4k/3D special edition steelbook combo pack; however, it is pricey at $60:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was the same price on eBay for a while; however, last time I looked there, it was sold out....still for sale on Amazon.
This looks like the France release being resold. It is a lot cheaper to buy it direct. Details about this release are in the RPO 3D thread.

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07BQPXRV6/
robsis likes this.
post #24 of 124 Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Once again Obi-Wan Potts, the reviewing force is strong with you. When I went to the theater to see Ready Player One, I wasn't sure what to expect because of the dominant use of CG but I figured, hey it's Spielberg so that alone means something. Well, I loved the movie. The CG was excellent and the cultural references just kept coming, were terrific and, at times, hilarious. This was going to be a first day purchase and that decision has been more than reinforced by this review and others and all agree that this is one of the best movies in Dolby Vision yet released. My Oppo-203 may have been more expensive than any other UHD player but movies like this make it worth it.

Has anyone opted for the Vudu Disc + Digital package? Ready Player is available via streaming now in HDR with the actual disc to be sent on or about the release date from Walmart. I haven't but am curious as to how this works and what the steaming picture quality is like.
post #25 of 124 Old 07-16-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Has anyone opted for the Vudu Disc + Digital package? Ready Player is available via streaming now in HDR with the actual disc to be sent on or about the release date from Walmart. I haven't but am curious as to how this works and what the steaming picture quality is like.
This is the second or third Disc + Digital package I've done. The streaming quality is very similar to typical VUDU streaming quality. Very solid, but not disc-quality yet.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #26 of 124 Old 07-16-2018, 10:30 AM
AVS & LAAVA Member

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 446
I love love love this Movie and yes I have listened to the Audio book and honestly I liked the movie better but anyhow every single time I watch this movie I always spot something new that just brings back memories. I did the Vudu deal where you get early access to the Digital UHD and the actual UHD Bluray the day the offer came out. Cant wait to get the actual movie in my hands... ^_^
Ralph Potts likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Tablo OTA DVR
post #27 of 124 Old 07-16-2018, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2029 Post(s)
Liked: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Once again Obi-Wan Potts, the reviewing force is strong with you. When I went to the theater to see Ready Player One, I wasn't sure what to expect because of the dominant use of CG but I figured, hey it's Spielberg so that alone means something. Well, I loved the movie. The CG was excellent and the cultural references just kept coming, were terrific and, at times, hilarious. This was going to be a first day purchase and that decision has been more than reinforced by this review and others and all agree that this is one of the best movies in Dolby Vision yet released. My Oppo-203 may have been more expensive than any other UHD player but movies like this make it worth it.

From the very first scene you can identify Speilberg because of his framming. I love watching his movies for that reason alone.
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.
post #28 of 124 Old 07-16-2018, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 85
great movie, demo material, Spielberg always comes thru
tenthplanet and audiofan1 like this.
post #29 of 124 Old 07-16-2018, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I watched this one in theater a while back I liked it alot did a pre sale on it. I cant wait to watch it again I thought it was pretty good.
post #30 of 124 Old 07-16-2018, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
It's also buggered on a Windows 10 PC, for those few of us using the Edge browser. The pips show up in Chrome and Internet Explorer, though.

Must be some web page standards issue. I'm too ignorant to know whether it was due to an update to whatever engine these forums use, or whether to blame the browsers.

I don't get the rating bars on Windows 10 and Mozilla Firefox anymore also.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews