• 2 Post By powertoburn

post #1 of 3 Old 06-19-2018, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Love, Simon Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this coming of age romantic comedy about a teenager coming to grips with his sexuality and his fears of social acceptance.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 110 minutes
Genre: Romance/Comedy/Drama

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Nick Robinson, Josh Duhamel, Jennifer Garner, Katherine Langford, Alexandra Shipp, Jorge Lendeborg Jr., Tony Hale
Directed by: Greg Berlanti
Music by: Rob Simonsen
Written by: Elizabeth Berger, Isaac Aptaker
Region Code: A

Release Date: June 12, 2018

"Everyone Deserves a Great Love Story"

My Take:

Seventeen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: If he doesn’t help class clown Martin by setting him up with good friend Abby, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of "Blue", the online identity of the boy he’s been corresponding with, will be jeopardized.

Things are becoming complicated in his once tight-knit group of friends and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten messy.

Now, Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out-without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.

My son saw Love, Simon in the theater and highly recommended it, so I looked forward to the chance to review it. It’s based on the novel “Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda” by Becky Albertalli and is a teenage coming of age story about a grounded 17-year-old who suddenly and unexpectedly finds love for the first time. The issue is that he is gay and hasn’t come out to anyone, including his family and close friends but, his secret has been accidentally revealed to someone outside of his inner circle who threatens to expose it, forcing him to make rash decisions.

Love, Simon is a light, charming and well-spun story about first love, family, friendships and the pressures associated with the fear of acceptance when coming out. The levity, romance and drama are nicely balanced and the narrative isn’t dark or heavy handed in its exploration of its various themes. I thought the characters were fleshed out quite well and their interpersonal relationships underscored the story naturally, as did the performances across the board. Both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed Love, Simon.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic elements, sexual references, language, and teen partying.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

UHD Presentation: 80

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color & WCG:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Love, Simon comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Love, Simon was derived from a 2.8K source, rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K.

In looking at the opening moments of this UHD presentation the first thing that struck me was that there wasn't an appreciable uptick in sharpness and detail compared to the Blu-ray. Colors, especially primary and earth tones were pleasingly vivid and fleshtones offered gradational warmth that looked quite natural. Upon closer inspection, I could make out finer details in facial features and clothing, but this predominantly came during close ups. On occasion, discernible improvements in depth could be seen in wide angle shots but, in most respects, I saw little difference in apparent resolution when checking select scenes from the UHD and Blu-ray.

I also found the presentation to be very tame in terms of its use of HDR’s dynamic highlights, both bright and dark. The image, which looked solid overall, didn't make any visually compelling use of interstitial black levels offset by vivid bright elements. In general, it lacked the eye-catching depth and sparkle compared to the better Ultra HD presentations I have seen. I wouldn't describe it as disappointing but, there is little about this Ultra HD presentation that left an impression on me.

The 5.1 channel DTS-HD MA soundtrack sounds full bodied, articulated and dynamically gratifying. Excellent tonal balance and high-level detail allow pans across the soundstage to appear seamless. Bass reproduction is taut and on occasion exhibits a robust low end. The mix makes frequent use of the surrounds to reproduce the discrete and ambient sounds contained within the soundtrack. I enjoyed the blend between the track's dynamic range and enveloping presence which resulted in a solid surround sound presentation.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 92

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Love, Simon comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video.

This is a great looking new release title from Fox. Images onscreen exhibit plenty of fine rendering and crisp definition that on occasion rises to higher levels especially during close ups which can be very revealing. Long range shots appear resolute with good dimensional depth and notable object detail. Bright exterior segments are punchy with crisp dynamic whites and appreciable texture. Colors are vibrant with eye catching primaries and natural rendering that looked great in high definition. Fleshtones are tonally divergent and appear lifelike in depiction. Blacks are respectable and shadow detail is revealing of appreciable levels of delineation in dark backgrounds and low lighting. I didn’t detect any deleterious artifacts or other video related anomalies.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Love, Simon Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Love, Simon Blu-ray
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Featurettes:
    o “The Adaptation” – Learn how the touching book Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli was adapted into Love, Simon
    o “The Squad” – Love, Simon’s cast members are some serious #squadgoals. Take a look into how the filmmakers developed, casted and perfected Simon’s squad.
    o “#FirstLoveStoryContest” – Everyone deserves a great first love story! Watch one lucky fan tell audiences about their first love story.
    o “Dear Georgia” – Join the filmmakers as they show you the iconic filming locations in Atlanta.
    o “Dear Atlanta” – The book takes place in Atlanta and the film was also shot there! Learn the many reasons why production chose this great city!
    • Gallery
    Audio Commentary by Director Greg Berlanti, Producer Isaac Klausner and Co-Screenwriter Issac Aptaker
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Love, Simon is a light, charming and well-spun coming of age story about first love, family, friendships and the pressures associated with the fear of acceptance when coming out. It comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack that features fair Ultra HD video, excellent high definition audio/video and a middling assortment of supplements. Love, Simon is worthwhile viewing that deserves a place at the top of your Blu-ray rental queue.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-21-2018, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Love Simon is a worthwhile coming out movie. The early part of the movie involves personal acceptance, Simon accepting his identity and his relationships with friends.This part of the movie is awkward and immature which is appropriate for a movie about high school teens. What this movie adds to the genre in my opinion is supportive parents and a contemporary mix of races and nationalities and an epiphany of acceptance. Most of the movie takes place in easily recognizable neighborhoods within a few miles of my home.

I thought the recent movie, Call Me By Your Name, is a more sophisticated and complex coming out story, particularly the book version which has a 17 year old who has an affair with a 23 year old. The book goes into inner thoughts of the characters and their later lives. This story is more intellectually satisfying and takes place in Italy. The movie is a beautiful travelogue. The characters are a variety of household workers, neighbors,college professors and writers.
Ralph Potts and powertoburn like this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 06-21-2018 at 06:41 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Finally saw this over the New Year’s weekend. I saw it on UHD 4K but nothing stood out so it seems like I was watching the 1080P Blu-Ray. There were a few scenes where the color popped for HDR. But the story got my attention from the beginning especially the music soundtrack featured in the film. Overall I enjoyed the movie and it was refreshing to see how coming out these days was not as traumatic as when I came out in high school in the 1990’s. The struggle of coming out still appeared the same though but the acceptance factor seems to be better then before. I liked this better then “Call Me By Your Name” because I liked the happier ending of “Love Simon” But both were great films. It is refreshing to see more gay characters in the mainstream media as before there hardly were no gay characters on tv.
Ralph Potts and pspoar like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews