Forum Jump: 
 108Likes

post #121 of 132 Old 05-13-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Awful movie. It felt more like an Abbot and Costello parody than a superhero movie.
Hairsonfire likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 Old 05-13-2018, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post
I don't think adult vs G humor has anything to do with it. The humor in this is really forced and well not funny. By the way ... Anus is a medical term, much better than saying ******* IMO. Anyhow, they keep trying to have Arnold one liners in all of these movies, and just like Arnold they are not even remotely funny. Maybe every 20th attempt is funny. It's like they have a movie timer that requires a shlocky joke every 15 minutes. And, I must be the only person who thought the Goldbloom character was stupid and unnecessary. The entire "team up with the hulk and a former Valkyrie" thing was a waste of movie time. To the point of being insulting. I give this movie a 5.5 on the Marvel scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
Awful movie. It felt more like an Abbot and Costello parody than a superhero movie.
Maybe you guys just don't like Thor movies. Out of 3 Thor movies, this one received the highest rating in Rotten Tomatoes site.
MagnumX likes this.
post #123 of 132 Old 05-13-2018, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyberlogy View Post
Maybe you guys just don't like Thor movies. Out of 3 Thor movies, this one received the highest rating in Rotten Tomatoes site.
I thought the first one was pretty good. I thought the 2nd one was not quite as good, but still a fun movie. This one felt like it was tossed together to meet a deadline using a canned script with "insert joke here". Very choppy.

EDIT: I didn't hate it though. It was enjoyable in its own way. But it's easily the least "good" movie of the three.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 132 Old 05-13-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Just for fun I just did a little ratings of the Marvel movies. This is extremely scientific and used thousands of variables to come up with a comprehensive aggregate score that is completely Objective ....

Or, maybe I just made it up off the top of my head using no criteria other than the "what I'm feeling like today" method.

GotG 9
Doctor Strange 9
Iron Man 3 8.5
Iron Man 8
GotG 2 7.5
CA:Winter Soldier 7.5
Ant-Man 7
Thor 7
Avengers: Infinity 7
Avengers 1 7
Thor: Dark World 6.5
Avengers: Ultron 6.5
Thor: Ragnarok 5.5
Black Panther 5
Spider Man:Home 4
Captain America 3
Iron Man 2 2
Incredible Hulk 1

Anything 5 or above is something I at least can enjoy and would not object to watching again.
post #125 of 132 Old 05-13-2018, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyberlogy View Post
How is that supposed to be relevant to what I think? And how is what I think about one movie supposed to be generalized to all movies about the same character?
post #126 of 132 Old 05-13-2018, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
How is that supposed to be relevant to what I think? And how is what I think about one movie supposed to be generalized to all movies about the same character?
It's just a bearing on where the viewer may be in the reviewer spectrum. Lets say I loved SW - The Last Jedi (I didn't in reality) but the general public didn't, then it gives me an idea of where I am in terms of the viewer's enjoyment spectrum.
MagnumX likes this.
post #127 of 132 Old 05-14-2018, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 67
We just did 4 comic movies in 4 nights (Thor, Guardians 2, Black Panther and Justice League). This was easily the best of the 4...
I have one of the best TV's ever made and it was eye melting 4K goodness at its best. Atmos was incredible, and nothing but a smile for 2 hours.
Fun film, that's all you can ask for.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sony 65 A1E / Yamaha 1050
PSB Imagine X2T Towers / C Centre / 1B 's Front Presence
Martin Logan Motion 10 (Surrounds)
SVS PB 1000
X-box One X / PS4 Pro w PSVR
post #128 of 132 Old 05-17-2018, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Tried to watch this three times now . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I’ve got too watch it again. I didn’t like it in the cinemas too be honest I found there was way too much humour injected into it. Guardians of the galaxy does it right with the humour. They don’t over do it. There is humour and there is over the top humour and Thor Ragnarock just did that. Yeah.. yeah it did well at the box office that’s because it was marvel and second the ladies went as well to see Chris Hemsworth. My sister in law wouldn’t see any other marvel unless it had Thor.

You will laugh a few times at first with Thor Raganarock but after it will get old.

But I will still buy it too add to my collection, my son insisted we have it even if it’s not the best .
So true - too silly. The difference between great movies and all the rest is being able to allow you to "suspend disbelief" and buy into the characters and the plot. With Ragnarok (and others) you are always being reminded that "hey, we're actors and this is a film we're in - aren't we funny?" That only works in very small doses . . . for me anyway.
post #129 of 132 Old 05-19-2018, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I just watched this movie and it was decent overall. I do agree with others that the humour seemed forced. But I found the audio mix to be kind of dull. I've read others over on Reddit make the claim that Disney uses a compressed audio mix in their Marvel movies and now I I think I can agree. The audio didn't seem lively and impactful as it should be for an action/sci-fi movie. Even the main menu screen had a louder and more lively audio mix. I had to turn down the volume during the main menu screen. The movie seemed quiet and moments where you'd expect powerful impactful bass and LFE just wasn't there like it should be. My setup is a 5.1 which includes an SVS PB-1000 and Fluance AVHTB+ set. Obviously not super high end but this setup does very well for movies and I felt this Thor movie just wasn't up to par audio-wise like it could have been.

The reviewer here makes similar claims. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Thor-R...lu-ray/184522/

Last edited by Canuck31; 05-19-2018 at 07:52 PM.
post #130 of 132 Old 10-27-2018, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 2429
Since I got finally a 4K/UHD projector , for a while now.

I will eat my words, of not double dipping for my previous movies on BD, from many months ago
So far, I have replace about 20, and this one, will also be a new addition, for a rating of 100% for PQ, and 92% for SQ.

I really enjoy this one, and can see some replay value, in my house. Even with 20 movies behind, for so many double dipping

Ray
post #131 of 132 Old 10-29-2018, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 69
This is the best MCU movie and the one that got me back into comic book movies.
darthray likes this.
post #132 of 132 Old 12-27-2018, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
I just finished watching it now. Much like many others who have already posted, the sound is mixed low. That doesn't mean it's bad. It just means that you have to turn it up. It turns out you have to turn it up a fair bit. In my case, 6db higher was what sounded right to my ears relative to most of my other movies. At that level I felt like I could then judge its dynamics. It was good, but not great. Bass was definitely there in some scenes and the dialogue was very clear, but normally I would "feel" punches in action scenes in other movies and it was just a bit flat in this one. The timing of the music was great, though. Led Zepplin? C'mon.

As a side note, I just have to wonder how many (probably not as many on AVS) people equate "loud" with good sound. The new Blade Runner, for example, is so bloody loud I had to turn it down by 5db to get to a normal listening volume. Yes, it was still great at that level, but man there is such a volume discrepancy with some movies...
The funny thing is that is usually the case with music which as NO STANDARDS for dynamic range (the progression with "popular" music has been to compress it more and more since the 1990s to the point where digital got a bad reputation due to sheer lack of dynamic range compared to LPs which can only take so much compression before the needle tends to pop right out of the groove thus FORCING the record companies to limit the compression (still WAY too high of course, but not INSANE like most digital anymore).

Movies, however, were SUPPOSED to be different with a standardization based on Dolby recommendations most (if not all) of the time. This means you SHOULD be able to calibrate your audio system once and then leave the volume setting at the same point for virtually ALL movies. With a D&M product, this means one smart setting to rule them all to set volume! Sadly, however, this is a MYTH of epic proportions! I don't think most of the review sites out there actually watch movies of they would know it was a myth LONG before Disney started royally screwing up soundtracks in recent years! Movies are better about it than music, but let's face it, "louder is better" usually wins the day even if it means sneaking a few dB more compression here or there. The WEIRD thing about Disney, however is it's been just the opposite! They have LOWERED average volume levels! You'd think this means they have crazy good dynamic range now (they do own Skywalker Sound who came up with THX standards, after all!) but this is sadly NOT the case. It appears they are actually creating ONE soundtrack for both disc and streaming release and are lowering standards to the streaming level. Streaming doesn't have to sound any worse in dynamics than a disc (yes the average bitrates with DD+ is lower than TrueHD, but that has nothing to do with dynamic range or even the inclusion of Atmos!) But I'm thinking they are figuring on the lowest common denominator (the way the music industry thinks) and don't want to blow out your "Homepod" speakers or soundbars or whatever crap they assume most people have these days. I can think of no other explanation for the sheer INEPTIDUDE I've been witnessing from Disney.

The worst thing is reading a review on a site like this one that purports to be about high-end quality, but then gives a movie like Thor Ragnarok a freaking 92 for sound quality.... It's mind blowing how that can happen and anyone expect this site to be taken seriously for the official reviews. I don't want to argue about it with the author, but it's SO FAR off the mark it's unbelievable. Even with the volume level corrected, the audio has problems with dynamic range and bass equivalence. I'd give it no more than an 82 at best (admittedly it's hard to know how much to subtract for purely "digital" problems with a soundtrack compared to traditional sound quality issues like noise and use of surround channels). But if you compare this movie to something like the Atmos re-releas of the original Jumanji, it's not even funny how SUPERIOR Jumanji by comparison, made even more impressive by the fact it's a retrofit of a MUCH OLDER title! If this is a 92, then WTF is Jumanji? A 112??? You see? It leaves no room for improvement when there is clearly a LOT of room for improvement here.

As for the movie itself, the 3D version had great quality 3D and the movie itself was a lot of fun (if you can accept Thor with a lot of GOTG type humor; personally I thought it was GREAT compared to the moody/depressing atmosphere of the previous titles by comparison). Adjusting the volume gets rid of a lot of of the problems, but clearly not all when you compare it to much better sounding titles. I'd LOVE to move the Atmos soundtrack over to the 3D version on my Zidoo (that can play it off a hard drive), but based on the comments I've read, there's no real point to buy the 4K version (at some cost) JUST to get an Atmos soundtrack that will clearly disappoint. I've read better things about the use of Atmos with The Last Jedi so I'm tempted to buy the 4K version there to try with the 3D version I already own, but it'll have to come down in price to at least $15 before that happens (even if it's just used). $30+ is ridiculous for a double dip just for the soundtrack when I want to watch the 3D video. I did buy the 4K Valerian to move the Atmos soundtrack over to the Indian 3D video (PITA aligning it, but it does work and is possible!), but even though THAT film is of questionable story-value, it's still probably better than The Last Jedi.... (sad I know).

Click THEATER (Updated: Jan-16-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room: 2018 55" QLED, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Sonic Holography Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Carver TFM-35x Amp (Woofers), Yamaha M-45 Class A/AB Amp (Ribbons), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews