Forum Jump: 
 108Likes

post #61 of 132 Old 03-09-2018, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Haven't watched yet but is it the case of a bad mix or just real low compared to other movies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 132 Old 03-09-2018, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2713 Post(s)
Liked: 6051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbie View Post
Haven't watched yet but is it the case of a bad mix or just real low compared to other movies?
If you have enough headroom in your system to bump your audio levels by 10dB over your "normal" listening level, it's All Good!
I tend to run my subs at least 6dB - 10dB hot as well and Ragnarok Rocked my Room.

Elbie likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #63 of 132 Old 03-09-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Its about average really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
If you have enough headroom in your system to bump your audio levels by 10dB over your "normal" listening level, it's All Good!
I tend to run my subs at least 6dB - 10dB hot as well and Ragnarok Rocked my Room.

Even running at +5 over Reference with a +10db house curve I still found it pretty much average. Not terrible but nothing to write home about, especially given its Thor taking on The Hulk!

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/Sony/Denon/Oppo/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 132 Old 03-09-2018, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2713 Post(s)
Liked: 6051
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
another UHD / 3D double dip.. it's hard to resist these cool steelbooks from Zavvi in the UK. They have been a savior for getting access to region free 3D BD content which is getting hard to find in the US.

For this movie I ended up preferring the 3D > UHD. they did a great job on this conversion, similar to the excellent 3D in GOTG2. high recommend for 3D fans!

Brother Zombie, you are 100% on the money as usual when it comes to 3D recommendations!

My 4K/UHD was awesome on the OLED,
But my 3D that just arrived from Zavvi today is Rocking the JVC and the Big Screen in 3D tonite!

Chapter one is Demo Material for sure!

Ralph Potts and lganz316 like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #65 of 132 Old 03-11-2018, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quick remarks about the average bitrates written in the review, so that they can be updated :
UHD : the average video bitrate is 49235 kbps (not 68 Mbps), the average audio bitrate of the Atmos track 4691 kbps (not 5.3 Mbps).
Blu-ray : the AVB is 23995 kbps (not 33 Mbps), the AAB of the English DTS HD MA 7.1 track 4891 kbps.
post #66 of 132 Old 03-11-2018, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 2429
Just finish watching this one.

Since I got the BD version that come with DTS 7.1, I cannot comment on the Atmos sound track.

What did I found, this movie was recorded really low.
My usual listening level is around -13.5dB, and end-up putting the Master Volume at -7.5dB, a 6 dB higher

Once at that volume, I really enjoy the Sound Track

For the movie it-self, my Wife and I, very much enjoyed-it for what it was, a fun ride with lots of actions/funny moments/nice sound and nice picture.

Will definitely watch again

Ray
post #67 of 132 Old 03-11-2018, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Just finish watching this one.

Since I got the BD version that come with DTS 7.1, I cannot comment on the Atmos sound track.

What did I found, this movie was recorded really low.
My usual listening level is around -13.5dB, and end-up putting the Master Volume at -7.5dB, a 6 dB higher

Once at that volume, I really enjoy the Sound Track

For the movie it-self, my Wife and I, very much enjoyed-it for what it was, a fun ride with lots of actions/funny moments/nice sound and nice picture.

Will definitely watch again

Ray
I also thought it was a low volume also.
I only put it up a few notches but probably should have dialed it up more.

Mike
darthray likes this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "old" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #68 of 132 Old 03-11-2018, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 747
I just finished watching it now. Much like many others who have already posted, the sound is mixed low. That doesn't mean it's bad. It just means that you have to turn it up. It turns out you have to turn it up a fair bit. In my case, 6db higher was what sounded right to my ears relative to most of my other movies. At that level I felt like I could then judge its dynamics. It was good, but not great. Bass was definitely there in some scenes and the dialogue was very clear, but normally I would "feel" punches in action scenes in other movies and it was just a bit flat in this one. The timing of the music was great, though. Led Zepplin? C'mon.

As a side note, I just have to wonder how many (probably not as many on AVS) people equate "loud" with good sound. The new Blade Runner, for example, is so bloody loud I had to turn it down by 5db to get to a normal listening volume. Yes, it was still great at that level, but man there is such a volume discrepancy with some movies...

As far as the movie goes, I will be watching this one more than my other Thor movies - it's just so much fun to watch. And funny!

Great review, Ralph, as always.
Ralph Potts and darthray like this.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #69 of 132 Old 03-12-2018, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Ralph,

After watching the movie the first time around I thought something was wrong with my system. I normally set my system to -22 because anything louder starts to get ridiculous, pot and pans in my kitchen and glass in my cabinet start to rattle and shake. I just read your review in it is entirety saw that you had to raise the volume by 8 to 10 on the volume control, this make me feel better. I had the same problem with guardians of the Galaxy as well, weak dynamics. This is the second Disney UHD disc i experienced this issue with, do you think Disney is not encoding their atmos sound tracks with a lot of dynamics in general? Other than the weak dynamics I really enjoyed the movie a lot. Thank you for the great review.

dave-t
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #70 of 132 Old 03-12-2018, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Ralph,

After watching the movie the first time around I thought something was wrong with my system. I normally set my system to -22 because anything louder starts to get ridiculous, pot and pans in my kitchen and glass in my cabinet start to rattle and shake. I just read your review in it is entirety saw that you had to raise the volume by 8 to 10 on the volume control, this make me feel better. I had the same problem with guardians of the Galaxy as well, weak dynamics. This is the second Disney UHD disc i experienced this issue with, do you think Disney is not encoding their atmos sound tracks with a lot of dynamics in general? Other than the weak dynamics I really enjoyed the movie a lot. Thank you for the great review.

dave-t

Greetings,

Dave, I am not certain that is the case, as raising the volume brings the tracks dynamic punch more in line, although there are moments, as indicated, where there is a distinct lack of solidity. I didn't have any problem with GotG.

Glad you enjoyed the movie!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #71 of 132 Old 03-12-2018, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Another one of those franchise movies that’s okay but if it was the first one, there’d have been no franchise.

Entertaining and part of my Thor collection. But not their best effort.
post #72 of 132 Old 03-12-2018, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
Thor: Ragnarok Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

So did they play “the immigrant song” fully or partly in the movie

Yes, I was singing this out loud during it, gotta embrace the fun and crazy in life

“Ah-ah, ah!
Ah-ah, ah!
We come from the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun, where the hot springs flow
Spoiler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts and blastermaster like this.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 03-17-2018 at 09:48 AM.
post #73 of 132 Old 03-12-2018, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Some opinion differ, but I found it was just really low.
Once I raise the main Volume by 6dB, everything came into place, the surrounds on the DTS 7.1 track were very active with lots of bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
I also thought it was a low volume also.
I only put it up a few notches but probably should have dialed it up more.

Mike

If you watch this one again, crank-it up some more since it is recorded very low.
As my reply to the quote above, once playing at a certain volume, your surrounds and bass will come alive

Ray
Elbie likes this.
post #74 of 132 Old 03-12-2018, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
I just finished watching it now. Much like many others who have already posted, the sound is mixed low. That doesn't mean it's bad. It just means that you have to turn it up. It turns out you have to turn it up a fair bit. In my case, 6db higher was what sounded right to my ears relative to most of my other movies. At that level I felt like I could then judge its dynamics. It was good, but not great. Bass was definitely there in some scenes and the dialogue was very clear, but normally I would "feel" punches in action scenes in other movies and it was just a bit flat in this one. The timing of the music was great, though. Led Zepplin? C'mon.

As a side note, I just have to wonder how many (probably not as many on AVS) people equate "loud" with good sound. The new Blade Runner, for example, is so bloody loud I had to turn it down by 5db to get to a normal listening volume. Yes, it was still great at that level, but man there is such a volume discrepancy with some movies...

As far as the movie goes, I will be watching this one more than my other Thor movies - it's just so much fun to watch. And funny!

6dB, was also what I end-up with for my hears

Yes, it was a very fun ride and Enjoyed-it a lot!!!

Not only the timing of that Zepplin sound track was great, but also such a good song that they do not play often on the radio, compare to other song.
Been years since I heard-it

Ray
post #75 of 132 Old 03-13-2018, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I really like the movie and was excited for the home release. Watched it this weekend and the Audio track is really disappointing. It reminded me of Ultron. It wasn't just a matter of turning it up to compensate for a lower overall volume. The entire track sounded compressed, anemic, and disconnected from what was on screen. The latter is due to dialog being well placed, but other elements like music and effects just being so lost in the mix volume wise. It was like everything but dialog was sucked out of the mix at times. Very disappointing. The front soundstage was just a mess.

How did this ever leave the studio this way?!
post #76 of 132 Old 03-13-2018, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

How did this ever leave the studio this way?!

Sadly I 100% agree with you. It’s hard to believe , truly, the sound mixer could of had a total symphony of objects that enhanced the visuals and added to the story.
So much potential not realized is sad.

post #77 of 132 Old 03-13-2018, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Sadly I 100% agree with you. It’s hard to believe , truly, the sound mixer could of had a total symphony of objects that enhanced the visuals and added to the story.
So much potential not realized is sad.

Definitely should have been a reference track. As it stands, it actually makes me NOT want to watch it again because the audio is a distraction. Same with Ultron.
post #78 of 132 Old 03-13-2018, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Definitely should have been a reference track. As it stands, it actually makes me NOT want to watch it again because the audio is a distraction. Same with Ultron.
Ultron lacks dynamics but it has many deep bass moments (Hulkbuster scene)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
post #79 of 132 Old 03-14-2018, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I think alot of people equate louder levels to a better mix. I on the one hand do not. My system is very revealing too and does not gloss over the cracks. I judge dialogue clarity level, imaging, dynamics, use of LFE to enhance a scene and balance just to name a few.
darthray and tenthplanet like this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/Sony/Denon/Oppo/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #80 of 132 Old 03-14-2018, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
I think alot of people equate louder levels to a better mix. I on the one hand do not. My system is very revealing too and does not gloss over the cracks. I judge dialogue clarity level, imaging, dynamics, use of LFE to enhance a scene and balance just to name a few.
My setup is pretty revealing, too (nice setup, btw!). In this case, once I turned the movie up I had no problem with dialogue or clarity. Fight scenes were flat, though. Honestly, though, I don't think it should take away one's desire to watch this movie - it's very good IMHO. I'd rather watch this than that Valerian pile of crap movie which had excellent sound. As much as I love a good AV experience, story always trumps it in the end for me.
darthray and Reddig like this.
post #81 of 132 Old 03-14-2018, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My setup is pretty revealing, too (nice setup, btw!). In this case, once I turned the movie up I had no problem with dialogue or clarity. Fight scenes were flat, though. Honestly, though, I don't think it should take away one's desire to watch this movie - it's very good IMHO. I'd rather watch this than that Valerian pile of crap movie which had excellent sound. As much as I love a good AV experience, story always trumps it in the end for me.
Hey thanks man!

Indeed. Story trumps all for sure.

Turning up levels helped a lot. Something that needs done from time to time with some movies. I was a bit hard on this ones audio after I first watched it because I wanted it to have a really over the top mix! But all in all I have definitely heard worse and the second time around I enjoyed the movie very much.

Edit: i forgot to say that I thought the dialogue was very clear on this one too. No problems really even at normal listening levels.
darthray likes this.

post #82 of 132 Old 03-14-2018, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Liked: 1784
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
6dB, was also what I end-up with for my hears

Yes, it was a very fun ride and Enjoyed-it a lot!!!

Not only the timing of that Zepplin sound track was great, but also such a good song that they do not play often on the radio, compare to other song.
Been years since I heard-it

Ray
I had too download that track. I love that song

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
darthray likes this.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #83 of 132 Old 03-14-2018, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Very true, same goes for some, when auditioning speaker

Quote:
Hey thanks man!

Indeed. Story trumps all for sure.

Turning up levels helped a lot. Something that needs done from time to time with some movies. I was a bit hard on this ones audio after I first watched it because I wanted it to have a really over the top mix! But all in all I have definitely heard worse and the second time around I enjoyed the movie very much.

Edit: i forgot to say that I thought the dialogue was very clear on this one too. No problems really even at normal listening levels.

A true fact that not all movies are recorded at the same level.
My average is -13.5dB, but do change from one movie to another.

I also found the dialogue was clear and easy to understand, Raising the sound level only brought to life the surround environment and a good bass, that was missing when listening at lower level

Quote:

Also a Big +1

Ray
Reddig likes this.
post #84 of 132 Old 03-14-2018, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I had too download that track. I love that song

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I believe, I got this on a CD, if not, I will order from Amazon

Ray
post #85 of 132 Old 03-15-2018, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Question Why are there no subtitles on UHD discs?

Does anyone know why some Ultra HD Blu-ray discs (like this one) only come with a limited set of subtitles? I live in Sweden, and the standard Blu-ray comes with Swedish subtitles, while the UHD version in the same package only comes with English subtitles. The same seems to apply to a lot of UHD discs, and it is not just in Sweden. This is kind of a dealbreaker for UHD discs.
post #86 of 132 Old 03-17-2018, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Watched this one last night. I only went +3db from my normal listening volume and was not satisfied with the audio until Chapter 13 onwards. Just seemed to be completely lacking the punch and depth I would expect from this type of movie. This was the first Thor movie I enjoyed so I'll remember to turn it up more next time. There is some nice application of HDR here such as when Thor summons the lightning, the opening and closing scenes with the fire, or during the escape through the wormhole.
post #87 of 132 Old 03-18-2018, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I didn’t mind the movie but what did they do to the Hulk? He looks horrible. Way to much like mark ruffalo(who I can’t stand anyway) the best Hulk is the Ed Norton one from the 08 movie. Hopefully if we ever get another Hulk movie we get a new Hulk.

post #88 of 132 Old 03-19-2018, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 2005
Oh man....man oh man oh man....this is one of the few MCU films that I know I’ll only view one time. I feel like they could have done without the entire storyline involving the junk/gladiator planet. If this had been focused on the Hela storyline only (which is what I was expecting), I feel like this could have easily been the greatest of the MCU movies. Both the storyline and the scale (the entire Asgardian population seems mighty small, not to mention “common.”) could have used some fine-tuning. The A/V seemed pretty good, but gosh...I really, really wanted to love this movie...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #89 of 132 Old 03-19-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Oh man....man oh man oh man....this is one of the few MCU films that I know I’ll only view one time. I feel like they could have done without the entire storyline involving the junk/gladiator planet. If this had been focused on the Hela storyline only (which is what I was expecting), I feel like this could have easily been the greatest of the MCU movies. Both the storyline and the scale (the entire Asgardian population seems mighty small, not to mention “common.”) could have used some fine-tuning. The A/V seemed pretty good, but gosh...I really, really wanted to love this movie...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, but if they didn't go to the junk planet, we wouldn't be introduced to one of the best characters in the movie
Spoiler!
. I've seen it three times now and I like it more every time I watch it as far as the movie itself is concerned. The audio gets worse in my mind every time I watch it. In the first scene when Thor slams his hammer into the ground there is literally no audio impact whatsoever. I shook my head. Then, about 2/3 of the way through the movie all of a sudden there was a shift, like the sound mixer decided to throw in some dynamics and bass (or wake up). The sound was much, much better near the end of the film. Maybe two different sound mixers lol.
post #90 of 132 Old 03-21-2018, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Watched it and loved it. Dont understand the fuzz about the bass, because there are lots of moments with real good deep bass. Maybe not reference deep like others but no dealbreaker for me. Liked the picture quality also. But maybe i'm getting older and more forgiving...
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews