• 2 Post By Ralph Potts

post #1 of 7 Old 10-24-2017, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Kidnap Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this thriller from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment, that tells the story of one mother’s heroic attempt to take back her kidnapped son, leading her to ask herself, how far she will go to save her child.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2017
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 82 minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Halle Berry, Sage Correa, Chris McGinn, Lew Temple
Directed by: Luis Prieto
Music by: Federico Jusid
Written by:Knate Lee
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: October 31, 2017

"You Picked the Wrong Kid!"

My Take:

A typical afternoon in the park turns into a nightmare for single mom Karla Dyson (Academy Award® winner Halle Berry) when her son suddenly disappears. Without a cell phone and knowing she has no time to wait for police help, Karla jumps in her own car and sets off in pursuit of the kidnappers. A relentless, edge-of-your-seat chase ensues, where Karla must risk everything to not lose sight of her son.

I find that with drama thrillers surrounding desperate measures it is essential that the elements contained within the story allow us to identify with it on a level that successfully draws us in prior to unleashing the series of events that will eventually lead to the ending that we all know is coming. I didn’t have that experience with Kidnap. This is a decidedly contrived film, beginning with the paper thin, paint by the numbers script which includes a series of been there and done that exchanges, the predominantly revolve around an endless vehicle pursuit, and an uninspired, anti-climactic ending, that you knew was coming, but hoped for more.

I am a Halle Berry fan, but this role wasn’t a good fit for her skill set. Her character was the focal point throughout, with those remaining, being terribly underdeveloped, which negatively impacted the film’s thematic depth. Even at 82 minutes, this film just seemed to drag on as its palpably unauthentic narrative resulted in a lackluster genre entry that is just plain forgettable.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence and peril.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Kidnap comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.1 Mbps.

This film looks excellent on Blu-ray and features glossy high definition video quality that exhibit high level detail, refining sharpness and pleasing definition that brings out the lifelike textures captured by the camera’s lens. Dimensional perspective is excellent, with close ups that are noticeably revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid-level camera pans are equally enriching and offer excellent depth and dimension. Colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the remaining spectrum of secondary hues. Fleshtones are rendered with vivid tonality and discerning complexional depiction. Blacks are gradational and deep which makes them pop during sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure in backgrounds. All in all, this is a great looking presentation.

The lossless soundtrack doesn’t consistently engage the entire surround platform however it reproduces the source elements with aplomb. Dialog has definitive presence with refined vocal character and excellent room penetration. Dynamic range is excellent which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. There are several sequences that engage the entire system to briefly produce entertaining and room filling sound. This comes in the form of low frequency effects, and atmospheric ambience/directional sounds that place you inside the scene. This soundtrack isn’t demonstration worthy but it readily delivers a satisfying listening experience that didn’t leave me disappointed.

Bonus Features:
  • A Thrilling Behind-the-Scenes look inside Kidnap
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Kidnap is a drama/thriller that brings nothing original to the table, and winds up a contrived, flavorless, and ultimately ineffective genre entry. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video, engaging lossless sound and a lackluster supplemental set. Kidnap is typical fodder for undiscerning genre fans, and is best left for viewing on late night cable TV.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
darthray and dnoonie like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-24-2017, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 69
This one tanked at box office and reviews were not kind (I can see why).

I'm always shocked that given all that, there will still be folks who will spend their hard earned money to purchase the disc.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-24-2017, 12:03 PM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 78
flavorless, and ultimately ineffective genre entry.
Thanks-- you are right on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-27-2017, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 281
What happened to this poor woman's career? Off color remarks in an acceptance speech, floppy boob exposure in a movie....and she was instantly relegated to Cuba Gooding Jr status!

post #5 of 7 Old 01-24-2018, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I rented this from Netflix. And the irony is I put the disc in my mailbox to return to Netflix but someone stole the disc overnight. This is the first time this happened. I really enjoyed this movie mostly because of the car chase and the audio. I watched this upmixed to Neural X. It was quite a bass experience for me. In the last act I was on the edge of my seat suspense. I will not be purchasing this movie since I don't see myself watching it again.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-24-2018, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 2429
Thanks for the warning

I guess, it will be a skip.

Ray
post #7 of 7 Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Ralph, spot on in your review. I watched it tonight as it came up in my Netflix rental queue, kind of a slow period right now as i'm waiting for some new releases.
My problem with this film, well several - who wrote the script? Some of Berry's lines were painful.
How about this - her vehicle is low on fuel, she drives until it's empty and comes to stop while she's in pursuit. Then a bit later when she's in peril, she starts her vehicle (the one with no gas) puts it in reverse and accelerates backward in order to escape further peril.
YOU CAN'T DO THIS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews