110Likes

post #1 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Dolby Atmos Has Come to AVSForum Blu-ray Reviews

AVS Forum Official Blu-ray reviewer Ralph Potts has made the jump to a Dolby Atmos ready set up in his reference review system. Join in the conversation as he offers his impressions of Dolby Atmos in the home environment, discusses his revised Blu-ray review template and offers thoughts on several previously reviewed titles that incorporate Dolby Atmos soundtracks.

I have been an audio enthusiast for the better part of thirty years and an audio/video enthusiast since the late 1990’s. I have been fortunate enough to find an outlet for my interest in this great hobby and over the last decade have reviewed both hardware and software which has provided exposure to many products. In that vein I have seen the advances in technology that have allowed home entertainment to rival the theatrical experience. While this has been the case both on the audio and video fronts the focus of this discussion will be on the audio side.

My audio system has kept pace growing from stereo to the various incarnations of multi-channel that began with Dolby Pro Logic and then on to DVD’s lossy digital surround through to the lossless codecs that we all enjoy today. Dolby Labs has been a leader in audio innovation since the 1960s and has been at the forefront of the formats that have taken theater sound both in the home and commercial environments to the next level. I remember listening to my first 5.1 channel Dolby Digital soundtrack on DVD, Star Trek First Contact. The feeling of immersion as sounds both discrete and ambient in nature moved around the soundstage was remarkable.

As interest in the new format grew the number of titles as well as the quality of the surround mixes increased. Dolby responded by coming up with Dolby Pro Logic II which created the ability to matrix two channel sources to multi-channel. This was taken to the next level by Dolby Pro Logic IIx and later Pro Logic IIz which allowed two channel sources to be output over 7 and 9 speakers respectively. This added a new dimension to home theater which when coupled with the introduction of Blu-ray and lossless Dolby TrueHD high definition surround sound in both 5.1 and 7.1 channel flavors, gave enthusiasts a whole new gear with which to drive their home theater machines.

So, what’s next? I mean could it really get any better than a well mixed 7.1 channel lossless soundtrack played back over a system capable of pure reference quality bliss? I wasn’t so sure until August 2014 when I attended a press event at Dolby Labs in NY City where Dolby held a demonstration of their latest innovation for home theater sound. Dolby Atmos. Atmos has been around since 2012 in commercial theater use but was now prepared to launch in the home theater market through Dolby and their respective partners in the audio industry.

Rather than go into any in-depth description of how Dolby Atmos works I will provide some data from their website which provides a good overview. Here is what Dolby says:

Up to now, cinema sound designers have had to mix independent sounds together into channels for soundtrack creation. If a scene required, say, a helicopter taking off, that sound had to be assigned to an individual channel and mixed together with other sounds.
While that helicopter could move across channels, it couldn't go above you. You wouldn't hear it as you would in real life.

Dolby Atmos is the first audio format based on audio objects rather than channels. In Dolby Atmos, any sound—the helicopter, a blaring car horn, a yelling child—can exist as an independent audio object, free of channel restrictions. It can be placed and moved anywhere, including anywhere overhead.

Filmmakers can now focus on telling the story. They can place sounds where they would occur naturally in a scene, rather than compromising the artistic intent by having to place them into channels. Sounds move in three-dimensional space—flowing above and around you in step with the visuals to bring a new sense of height and reality. Dolby Atmos puts you in the middle of the action—in ways you have never before experienced. And it adapts to any playback environment—in the cinema, at home, or on the go.

**For more information, including details about how to set up Atmos in the home, visit Dolby’s Website: Dolby Atmos Home Page

After sitting through the demonstration at Dolby I was impressed with what I heard specifically from the system that incorporated ceiling mounted speakers which were set up as part of a 5.1.4 channel configuration. Listening to the Dolby Atmos Demonstration Blu-ray Disc which contains a host of Dolby Atmos trailers and content specifically designed to highlight the use of Atmos’ object based sounds I found the increase in immersion to be distinctive without being distracting. The ability to place objects as well as ambience overhead created a noticeably involving soundscape especially when combined with the remaining speakers as sounds shifting in, around and above had a cohesiveness I hadn’t heard from home theater before.

I was convinced that I needed to upgrade my theater and based upon my particular layout (currently set up as a 9 channel system) and preferences I decided on a 7.1.4 configuration utilizing Top Front and Top Rear in-ceiling speakers. My current AVP, the very capable Marantz AV8801 didn’t support Atmos so my plan was to wait for the release of its replacement, the Marantz AV8802, which is due to be available in February 2015. In the meantime I was presented with the opportunity to obtain the Marantz AV7702 which is an Atmos ready pre/pro that is rich in features and performs quite well at its price point. I decided to go with the AV7702 for now and will look to obtain the AV8802 this spring.

I use Canton Ergo series speakers and went with Canton in-ceiling 965DT’s for ceiling speakers. I positioned the 965DT’s with no real issues and was all set once the AV7702 arrived. Once the system was up and running I ran through some of the content on the aforementioned Dolby Atmos Demonstration Disc. I was immediately taken back to what had impressed me about Atmos during the Dolby press event. The “Amaze” and “Leaf” trailers sounded marvelous. The added dimension produced by the emanation of elements occupying the acoustic space above in addition to the placement of objects passing in and around the surround field created a three dimensional effect that made the listening experience more involving both visually and aurally.

I then reached for the Dolby Atmos encoded Blu-ray titles that I had on hand and went about putting them through the paces to see how the effect would hold up. I realized that much of what I was going to hear would depend on the sound design but either way I had high expectations. The Expendables 3, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Transformers: Age of Extinction all offered rewarding sound that was elevated by the Atmos platform. I had read some complaints from forum members regarding the Transformers mix not making ample use of object placement from above. While it doesn’t consistently use discretely placed objects that emanate from above there is plenty of atmospheric detail and panning sweeps that utilize the upper sound field. I found the mix to be excellent.

After spending time listening I began thinking about how I wanted to handle the inclusion of Atmos encoded titles in my review template. My ratings as they stand can be used across all platforms and will continue to be done this way. However Atmos and any other immersive object based audio codec like it, does have properties that should be considered in addition to those we see as standard. With that in mind I came up with five rating parameters:

• Level of immersion (The dome effect)
  • Soundstage integration (panning front to back/side to side/blend of entire system)
  • Audio object placement (integrity of the correlation to visuals onscreen)
  • Effectiveness (Are you totally involved in the action/events/level of realism – too much or too little activity?)
  • Entertainment Factor (Overall how much fun did you have?)

These will be scored on the same rating scale that I use for the current system and result in a technical rating that will be included with each Atmos review. Going forward these may get tweaked or changed but for now provide a foundational basis. This will not be factored into the total audio/video rating that appears at the top of each review but will be used as a guide/reference to determine how effective the overall Atmos experience was. It would be impractical to factor this into the overall audio rating considering not everyone has a system capable of reproducing all of the elements present in an Atmos soundtrack.

Every Atmos ready AVR/Prepro comes equipped with Dolby’s Surround Upmixer which replaces the Pro Logic chipsets. The Upmixer can be used to take two channel sources and above, and spread them out over the Atmos platform (I strongly suggest reading the Dolby Atmos White Papers which can be found at the link provided earlier to learn more about the Dolby Surround Upmixer). I have found that using the “DSU” can make subtle or noticeable improvements when fed Stereo or multi-channel tracks in either lossy or lossless Dolby/DTS flavors. I have added an additional non-rated parameter to my audio rating which will appear in every review. It will be called DSU Rating and will be scored on the same rating scale as the others. This will be strictly provided as a point of reference for those that utilize the DSU and are curious to know how well it works in conjunction with a non-Atmos encoded title.

As an example I have rated Transformers: Age of Extinction in Atmos and have included those ratings using the new template below. I will include brief comments regarding my impressions of the Atmos sound which will be in addition to my thoughts on the audio track. I have included the audio rating of Edge of Tomorrow, a non-Atmos encoded Blu-ray, and included the new DSU Rating.

Transformers – Age of Extinction:

Audio: 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):

3D Presentation: 90

• Depth (Onscreen):
  • Dimension (Beyond the screen):
  • Realism:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Edge of Tomorrow:

Audio: 100

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

As an enthusiast I am pleased to report that Dolby Atmos makes for an excellent addition to home theater. My hope is that we will begin to see increased studio support for both new releases as well as catalog titles on Blu-ray. Our other reviewer Lee Weber is also planning an upgrade to an Atmos ready system and he and I will follow the same format.

I look forward to covering any and all immersive sound based offerings and welcome hearing from my fellow enthusiasts who are currently set up for or are considering making the move to Dolby Atmos.

References:

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7702 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 12-28-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Congrats Ralph! Look forward to to the new discussion now that you're immersed. Aside from new Atmos titles and I'm sure DTS:X when that becomes available, perhaps some digging into the Potts Vault and some comment on older titles like U-571 and Pearl Harbor using DSU.
post #3 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I'm excited to read an objective review of atoms from you. I am still not sold on it.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Congrats Ralph....glad you made the jump. Looking forward to your review of Gravity with its Atmos track.

Do you have any pictures of your set-up since you installed the new speakers? Also, is your Atmos experience the same in your second row of seats?
BillFree likes this.

Nabs17
post #5 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Looking forward to the Atmos reviews...I base many of my purchase decisions on your scoring system.
Djoel likes this.

In search of video bliss...
post #6 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Congrats on the upgrade. Now we need more studios to put out more content.
post #7 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 2074 Post(s)
Liked: 1864
So wait... two of your atmos speakers are on the front wall ala traditional ProLogic IIz? Isn't that specifically what atmos was getting away from?

I'm so confused with all of this. I'm sticking with my 5.2 and 7.2 systems.
leadliner likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #8 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Congrats Ralph....glad you made the jump. Looking forward to your review of Gravity with its Atmos track.

Do you have any pictures of your set-up since you installed the new speakers? Also, is your Atmos experience the same in your second row of seats?
Greetings,

I haven't taken any new pics but plan to. My MLP is in the second row so the question becomes is the experience the same in the first row?

The answer is pretty much. I have a four surrounds (two rear channel in-walls and two mounted on the side walls). The top middle in-ceiling speakers have dual high frequency drivers in a bipole configuration that face front and rear. This allows them to feed overhead sounds in both directions covering both listening rows. The coverage across the room sitting in either row is good but the sweet spot is the MLP in the back row.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #9 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Congrats Ralph as well. I am sure your system sounds sensational with Atmos. I have had the pleasure of listening to Mark's system with Atmos and have been VERY impressed. In fact, in its current configuration, I can't imagine Mark's room sounding any better. Personally, I am waiting until DTS X and for an AVR or pre/pro that handles HDCP 2.2 and all the 4K flavors before jumping in to the objects based systems, as I do not want to have to redo my room again after installing more speakers and Atmos. Hopefully you won't have to either. I look forward to hearing your impressions on how well the upmixer does on some already great non Atmos mixed films.

Louder is NOT better!
post #10 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
So wait... two of your atmos speakers are on the front wall ala traditional ProLogic IIz? Isn't that specifically what atmos was getting away from?

I'm so confused with all of this. I'm sticking with my 5.2 and 7.2 systems.
Greetings,

I don't have them mounted on the front wall. They are mounted on the side walls, near the ceiling, in line with the L/R mains, and angled toward the MLP. The combination works quite well.

After experimenting with placement I found that there is certainly some flexibility. In talking with others I suspect that each room/system that can't be set up by design, there are options but you have to seek them out.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #11 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Ralph, did you get the Auro 3D upgrade for your new Marantz pre/pro?
From reviews that I've read, its upmixer does a better job than the DSU.
It would be interesting to get your impressions of it.

Also, I plan on upgrading to the Marantz SR7009 receiver and Pioneer Elite Dolby Atmos enabled speaker system.
I rent, so I can't drill holes in the walls, or ceiling, to mount speakers.
BillFree likes this.

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Onkyo TX-RZ1100 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 9Ch. Network Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
post #12 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Darn that was good read. Very exciting, enough to make me feel like a kid!

Fun times are comin'....

Thanks

Djoel
Ralph Potts and olinda cat like this.
post #13 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post
Ralph, did you get the Auro 3D upgrade for your new Marantz pre/pro?
From reviews that I've read, its upmixer does a better job than the DSU.
It would be interesting to get your impressions of it.

Also, I plan on upgrading to the Marantz SR7009 receiver and Pioneer Elite Dolby Atmos enabled speaker system.
I rent, so I can't drill holes in the walls, or ceiling, to mount speakers.
Greetings,

I have not and probably won't since my plan is to move the Marantz AV8802. Once I am set up with that I will look into Auro. For some reason should I opt to stay with the AV7702 I will go with the upgrade.

Regards,
BillFree and olinda cat like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #14 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Congrats Ralph! Looking forward to your reviews of the upcoming Atmos releases.
Ralph Potts, olinda cat and blish2 like this.
post #15 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Hi Ralph

Congratulations on the upgrade to Atmos and also for telling us how you plan to rate both Atmos and non-Atmos titles in the future. Your reviews of Atmos, Auro and DTS X movies will definitely influence my decision as to whether I should upgrade my Integra pre-pro anytime soon. I'm looking forward to reading more of your great movie reviews.

Cal68

Cal68
post #16 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Congratulations on the upgrade to Atmos i always read your reviews thanks for taking the time

DEN Samsung UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ710 5.2.2 Atmos / Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player
Living Room TCL 55R617 55-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 Atmos / M-5010 Amplifier / Sam. UBD-K8500 Blu-Ray Player . BEDROOM Samsung 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #17 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 383 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8258 Post(s)
Liked: 14506
Awesome!!!

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
post #18 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Oh very nice. I'll enjoy hearing about Atmos content specifically. I can see how most either using or contemplating getting the blurays would be appreciative for your efforts.
post #19 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Well written.

But just to be a contrarian here - Is a poor film (poor acting/directing/screenplay) with a great soundtrack worth anything?
post #20 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Ralph,

Thanks for your thoughts on Atmos. Can you further describe your methodology on the ceiling speaker placement in the middle? Was this by "feel" or was there some scientific/Dolby white paper influence? Also, did you try other positions such as rear height placement? Coming from the excellent 8801 and using DTS Neo X would you state that the immersion is better? Thanks in advance!

Maurice
post #21 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
I have found that using the “DSU” can make subtle or noticeable improvements when fed Stereo or multi-channel tracks in either lossy or lossless Dolby/DTS flavors. I have added an additional non-rated parameter to my audio rating which will appear in every review. It will be called DSU Rating and will be scored on the same rating scale as the others. This will be strictly provided as a point of reference for those that utilize the DSU and are curious to know how well it works in conjunction with a non-Atmos encoded title.
Great writeup Ralph. You mentioned that some complained about the Transformer's atmos mix. I think I also remember that some specifically were arguing that their opinion was that the track played via DSU was superior overall to the Atmos track played natively. If that turns out to be true on more than an exceptional basis, that will present some interesting issues and divergence of opinion going forward - I wouldn't want to be a sound designer on the opposite end of any of those opinions either
post #22 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3442 Post(s)
Liked: 2951
nice upgrade Ralph!...good to finally have a place that will be reviewing Atmos encoded Blu-ray's on a regular basis...I wonder how many Atmos/DTS: X titles will be released in 2015
BillFree and olinda cat like this.
post #23 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
Welcome to the club!
post #24 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Grats, Ralph! I have the same surrounds as you and I've actually purchased monopoles in anticipation of Atmos. I'd love to know how they compare to similarly specced monopoles. If it turns out they are just fine, I may not need to rearrange my theater as much as I initially thought. At any rate, I'm looking forward to the reviews even more now with Atmos thrown into the mix. Cheers!
post #25 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi Ralph:
A little off topic! However, do you mind discuss your opinion between the Marantz AV8801 vs AV7702 in term of music and multichannel? I'm thinking of upgrading to Atmos and want to know if I should wait for the AV8802 or the AV7702 should be fine. I'm mostly using the AV8801 for movie, but do listen to music now and then.
Thank you!
post #26 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 2429
Thanks Ralph for the objective review of Atmos.

You and Lee have so much experience in the audio review of movie make your view of the Atmos more relevant to rest of us.
Thanks for your input and you guys and thank you for all your great work

Ray
post #27 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Congratulations Ralph!
It seems that you used a speaker layout which is a mix betweem the one recomended for atmos and the one for auro 3D.
Why you didn't go with 4 inceiling speakers as atmos specified?
BillFree likes this.

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs540, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #28 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 08:37 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2536 Post(s)
Liked: 3110
Very cool Ralph! Congrats! Hope to upgrade to Atmos at some point in the next few years. Curious to hear your thoughts and enjoy!
post #29 of 149 Old 01-05-2015, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Very cool man! Nice to see you upgraded to Atmos and I'm looking forward to your reviews of BDs with it! I sure love Atmos in theaters and will upgrade in a few years.
Ralph Potts likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/Sony/Denon/Oppo/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #30 of 149 Old 01-06-2015, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 2005
I hold these reviews in very high regard and they post a critical role in my selection of blu rays to purchase. As I am building an Atmos theater right now, I'm very pleased to hear that these reviews will encompass Atmos facets. These are exciting times for enthusiasts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dolby atmos â?? , dolby atmos ~ , frontpage