110Likes

post #121 of 149 Old 12-15-2016, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
All of the currently available 4K players will downscale to 1080p, so you can watch 4k UHD discs on a 1080p display. There might be some limitations in how HDR/WCG colors get downscaled, though.
But I don't want to change my Yammi Blu ray yet and 4k players choice is limited and very expensive (the new xbox will play 4k but can't output atmos)

I just think manufacturers are taking us for a ride doing atmos on 4k and not on Blu Ray as a marketing scam.

Infocus SP8600 DLP, Yamaha RX A3040 + 2x Roksan KMA2/3 (fronts bi-amped vertical), Yamaha BD S1067 Blu Ray, Toshiba ET-35 HD, Samsung UBD K8500 4k player, Kef 203/1 Main, 202C Center, Q2DS Surround, HTS 2001 Rear Surround and FP, RP, 2x Kenwood SW-X1 12" Subs fitted DLS DS3004BP plate amps.
Vinyl - Technics SL1210, Goldring 1020GX, Yaqin MS22 & Rotel RQ970BX phono pre amps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 149 Old 12-15-2016, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviaction View Post
But I don't want to change my Yammi Blu ray yet and 4k players choice is limited and very expensive (the new xbox will play 4k but can't output atmos)

I just think manufacturers are taking us for a ride doing atmos on 4k and not on Blu Ray as a marketing scam.
I just think it is lack of spinning disc 💿 machine demand.

Last edited by SMHarman; 12-15-2016 at 07:26 AM.
post #123 of 149 Old 12-15-2016, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4753 Post(s)
Liked: 2799
Quote:
I understand that updated XB1S firmware capable of bitstreaming is in testing mode now.
Quote:

More expensive products have more desirable features. That sales technique is used for most products.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 149 Old 12-16-2016, 07:57 AM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
Just an FYI. I did a search and did not see this posted. The Box set Season 1 through 6 of "GAME OF THRONES" are all produced with a full ATMOS Sound Track. The Sound is beyond amazing and this aspect alone is worth the purchase price. Bonus the set is Region Free. On sale now at Amazon.com link below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #125 of 149 Old 12-22-2016, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Apart from the usual subjective/objective view caveats of any critique, I have a lopsided hearing issue that is only partly compensated for by the brains incredible ability to give some '3D positioning cues' when in fact I can't hear much from my right ear. I often also think that some reviews are coloured by the listener being boggled by a few effects when the remainder of the mix is maybe good but a little underwhelming.

Without creating another 'he said/she said', or a 'my SPL meter is better than yours' discussion on the merits of the various mixes, let's just say, 'to each his own', and simply enjoy them all.

The big disappointment with Atmos soundtracks on Blu-ray (in Australia) for me is that so few of them are released here (in Australia). Most BD's still only come in the 5.1 or 7.1 variety, even though the Atmos BD titles are available elsewhere.

Thank God for Amazon and multi-region players, although there are still too many titles that we in Oz are not allowed to buy from them due to local distributor throttles on certain imports. I need a good reliable source is the USA to get them for me and post them in plain brown wrappers.
post #126 of 149 Old 12-22-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

The reviews that contain Dolby Atmos mixes aren't earmarked as such. If there is a particular title containing an Atmos mix that you're interested in you can search the Blu-ray Review database stickied at the top of the forum to find it. We wouldn't differentiate the releases containing an Atmos mix anymore than we would differentiate those containing DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD etc.

Doing a search in this forum under Dolby Atmos might be of help as well.

Regards,
.... which is sort-of sad because that is how my titles are cataloged and stored/displayed in my HT. I expect a seperate thread/list will eventuate when the number Atmos titles swells. My Movie Collector database makes it easy to find individual titles by title or genre, etc. but not necessarily where they are on the shelf. There is a 'where stored' field in the database but I haven't started using that one yet. Having specific groups separated on the shelf is a quick-n-easy way of finding an Atmos title without a lot of searching and bending, especially when you have a big library.
post #127 of 149 Old 12-22-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Prange View Post
My question on UHD is the titles being released in Atmos (such as Ender's Game), will it include the BD of Ender's Game encoded in Atmos as well?? If so, I might need to take a 2nd look at starting my UHD collection even if I don't have the PJ for it yet.

Curious if anyone knows?
Apart from a rare few BD titles that have been released with ATmos soundtracks, most UHD sets (Batman Vs Superman) include a BD but the Atmos mix is only on the UHD disc. The BD only has either the 5.1 or 7.1 mix. Which is not only annoying but makes it more frustrating having to wait for my new Oppos 203.
post #128 of 149 Old 12-22-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholmes1 View Post
I would like to see this changed if possible. In your statement you are comparing apples (DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD) to oranges (ATMOS). I think there would be great interest by having titles with height channels (ATMOS, DTS-X, etc.) separated or linked specifically in this thread or a new dedicated thread if needed. The platform is being utilized more and more and simply searching through existing reviews does not really provide the focus that many of us with height channels are looking for...

Your reviews are great and given the few reviewers that have the ATMOS gear, I think it is something worth considering.

Best,
C.H.
Here, here (or is that hear, hear), I agree, I support it, I want it, get it done, etc.
post #129 of 149 Old 12-29-2016, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Watched my first DTS:X movie last night: Jason Bourne. I was in awe by the sound (and the movie by the way)!!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Ralph Potts and Samurai G0SU like this.
post #130 of 149 Old 12-31-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
Gravity - Diamond Lux Edition - Good to fair ? It's one of the best mixes out there.
Mad Max Fury Road 3D - Great fun movie, Atmos mix, not a lot for it to do so fair to good ? See above. It is a reference mix. Scored 100 on this site and I agree.
In the Heart of the Sea 3D - Movie fair, Atmos mix fair. I need to revisit this movie before I condemn it ? Another great mix that scored 100 here.
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - You didn't give your impressions but it's another great mix

I run a Denon X7200WA, with the DTS-X upgrade. My room is fully Osborne speakers (check them out at http://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/), with Epitome fronts L&R, C3 centre, 4xE2 for surrounds (at ear height), 4xR2's (larger boxed version of E2) for the ceiling, 2xR2's for the centre-back and a JBL 18" sub. The sound moves seamlessly around the room, across all speakers. As a consequence, with the Denon doing an amazing job of outputting the native Atmos tracks, it also does an astonishing job of up-mixing 5.1 and 7.1 soundtracks into an 'Atmos mix'. The other joy of the Denon is that I can choose to use either the wides or the tops in the upmix AND swap between them at whim, just to see which is best.

Because of this, I have been steadily going through my library of movies and not only enjoying seeing them again, but revelling in the fantastic 'new' sound they now have. The remixed Star Trek movies are currently being played and have been given a new lease of life.

So even without a native Atmos soundtracks on them, I am still getting enormous enjoyment and fun in my HT revisiting old (and not so old) BD's and hearing the soundtracks in glorious 360 degree surround.
post #131 of 149 Old 01-01-2017, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Got a quick question. When I play movies that don't have dolby atmos I still get sound out of my atmos ceiling speakers. Why is that? Also does it with DTS tracks. My reciever outputs it to dtsX. Any idea what's up?
post #132 of 149 Old 01-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
Got a quick question. When I play movies that don't have dolby atmos I still get sound out of my atmos ceiling speakers. Why is that? Also does it with DTS tracks. My reciever outputs it to dtsX. Any idea what's up?
You doubtless have one of the upmixers enabled: either Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X.

Selden

post #133 of 149 Old 01-02-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
You doubtless have one of the upmixers enabled: either Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X.
Yes that sounds right cause when I hit the display button it says output is dolby surround or dts Neural-X. So what sound is coming out of my atmos speakers? Is it the same sound that is coming out of my rear channels?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
post #134 of 149 Old 01-02-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Yes that sounds right cause when I hit the display button it says output is dolby surround or dts Neural-X. So what sound is coming out of my atmos speakers? Is it the same sound that is coming out of my rear channels?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
No, its not that simple.

Dolby and DTS use different proprietary algorithms for deciding which sounds should be moved or copied to speakers which aren't included in the incoming soundtrack. Dolby is known to use phase, amplitude and frequency band information, for example.

Selden

post #135 of 149 Old 01-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
No, its not that simple.

Dolby and DTS use different proprietary algorithms for deciding which sounds should be moved or copied to speakers which aren't included in the incoming soundtrack. Dolby is known to use phase, amplitude and frequency band information, for example.
So if I'm playing a disc that is not dolby atmos or dtsX (Dolby Surround or dts neural X is what my avr outputs the soundtrack to). And I have sound coming out of my 4 ceiling speakers what sound do you think is coming from the speakers since the disc is not encoded for height speakers? Just curious thanks and sorry for the newbie questions
post #136 of 149 Old 01-03-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
So if I'm playing a disc that is not dolby atmos or dtsX (Dolby Surround or dts neural X is what my avr outputs the soundtrack to). And I have sound coming out of my 4 ceiling speakers what sound do you think is coming from the speakers since the disc is not encoded for height speakers? Just curious thanks and sorry for the newbie questions
Quite often Dolby Surround is able to recognize and move those types of sounds which often come from overhead to the overhead speakers. I dunno how, but the result can be very convincing. Other times, it's not quite so effective.

Selden

post #137 of 149 Old 01-06-2017, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltar View Post
Watched my first DTS:X movie last night: Jason Bourne. I was in awe by the sound (and the movie by the way)!!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Finally watched it last night and i agree. The sound was quite amazing. Helicopters - machine noises - fire - rioting. Even the dialog wasn't too low for me. I usually get soundtracks that have all the sfx/music at a good level but then the dialog is super low.
post #138 of 149 Old 03-20-2017, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 639
I personally thought Gravity was a Borefest, so I would never dream of dropping $70 on the Lux version...that'd be like buying The Fifth Element again...one of that is MORE than enough! 😆😆

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #139 of 149 Old 05-08-2017, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
As much as IMAX likes to position itself as the best at everything, ATMOS has my vote for best sound. Sometimes it's about quality over quantity.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #140 of 149 Old 08-06-2017, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I agree!!! The capability for ATMOS is there on bluray for both 3-D and Dolby ATMOS yet companies are intentionally packaging the ATMOS audio on 4k only. I think this is shady and will only backfire in the long run.

-
post #141 of 149 Old 08-11-2017, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
OK. I have what's probably a really dumb question that's been answered many times but I can't seem to find it. I upgraded my HT with the installation of four Dolby Atmos speakers in the ceiling and an Oppo udp-203. I rented Blu-Ray versions of Mad Max Max Fury Road, Everest, and Martian because they were recommended here. Much to my surprise I don't think any of them had highly noticable 7.1.4 sound tracks. Looking through the settings in the main menu all the audio selections just had to do with subtitles and looking back on the covers except for Mad Max they said Dolby 5.1. But even listening to Mad Max it seemed really subtle to me given the raves. There's one scene shortly into the first big chase where a car comes from behind overhead and I expected to have an Atmos thrill but didn't really notice it. I downloaded the two cues (Amaze & Leaf) from the Dolby website and played them via flash drive on the Oppo and that listening experience was much MUCH more of what I was expecting. Then I went through the test tone portion to check and all my speakers were working.

So my question is are there different Blu-Ray versions of these movies some with Dolby Atmos and some without? And how do you tell? It will say Dolby Atmos somewhere on the back. Sorry for seeming so dense. Thanks!
bigapp likes this.

Mark
post #142 of 149 Old 08-11-2017, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Not sure about those titles but yes in small print on the back it should say Dolby Atmos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 65" C7 OLED. Oppo 203. Denon 4300. Klipsch RP280af, 260f, 440c, 140AF. HSU 15-mk2. Layer 3 TV, Shield and a Blue Tick Healer
post #143 of 149 Old 08-11-2017, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post
OK. I have what's probably a really dumb question that's been answered many times but I can't seem to find it. I upgraded my HT with the installation of four Dolby Atmos speakers in the ceiling and an Oppo udp-203. I rented Blu-Ray versions of Mad Max Max Fury Road, Everest, and Martian because they were recommended here. Much to my surprise I don't think any of them had highly noticable 7.1.4 sound tracks. Looking through the settings in the main menu all the audio selections just had to do with subtitles and looking back on the covers except for Mad Max they said Dolby 5.1. But even listening to Mad Max it seemed really subtle to me given the raves. There's one scene shortly into the first big chase where a car comes from behind overhead and I expected to have an Atmos thrill but didn't really notice it. I downloaded the two cues (Amaze & Leaf) from the Dolby website and played them via flash drive on the Oppo and that listening experience was much MUCH more of what I was expecting. Then I went through the test tone portion to check and all my speakers were working.

So my question is are there different Blu-Ray versions of these movies some with Dolby Atmos and some without? And how do you tell? It will say Dolby Atmos somewhere on the back. Sorry for seeming so dense. Thanks!
A lot of times the rental versions (redbox, netflix) will be stripped down without all the same features of the retail disc release. It sucks.

On the retail boxes you'll always see a Dolby Atmos or DTS:X logo on the back somewhere if it features one of those soundtracks.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #144 of 149 Old 09-07-2017, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Atmos/DTSX Rentals List Sticky?

I think it would be tremendously useful if we could create a Sticky with a running list of titles that we can confirm are Atmos/DTSX on the rental versions.

Something simple like: Title, Netflix (Y/N), Redbox (Y/N)

From personal experience I know that these titles have Atmos/DTS from Netflix.

13 Hours, MI Rogue Nation, Jack Reacher Never Go Back, Pixels, Ex Machina, Everest, 10 Cloverfield, American Sniper, Mad Max Fury Rd, Kong Skull Island, Man from UNCLE, Live by Night, Jason Bourne, London has Fallen, San Andreas, Suicide Squad, Secret Life of Pets, Sing, Sully, Terminator Genesis, Transformers Age of Extinction, Unbroken, Fantastic Beasts, Fate of the Furious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
A lot of times the rental versions (redbox, netflix) will be stripped down without all the same features of the retail disc release. It sucks.

On the retail boxes you'll always see a Dolby Atmos or DTS:X logo on the back somewhere if it features one of those soundtracks.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Epson 5030 / Marantz 7010 / OPPO-103
MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), Motion 50XT (center), Motion 2 (surrounds)
Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #145 of 149 Old 09-14-2017, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
I think it would be tremendously useful if we could create a Sticky with a running list of titles that we can confirm are Atmos/DTSX on the rental versions.
I've been looking for something like this - great suggestion!

Quote:
From personal experience I know that these titles have Atmos/DTS from Netflix.

13 Hours, MI Rogue Nation, Jack Reacher Never Go Back, Pixels, Ex Machina, Everest, 10 Cloverfield, American Sniper, Mad Max Fury Rd, Kong Skull Island, Man from UNCLE, Live by Night, Jason Bourne, London has Fallen, San Andreas, Suicide Squad, Secret Life of Pets, Sing, Sully, Terminator Genesis, Transformers Age of Extinction, Unbroken, Fantastic Beasts, Fate of the Furious.
And a HUGE thank you for this list! I have made several attempts at locating Atmos content on Netflix to no avail. Now if there was only a combined list of Atmos + HDR for both services, that would be very cool too.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Matt__7.1.2 Dolby Atmos / DTS:X
_-______Denon AVR-X4300H (2016) | Vizio P65-C1 | Xbox One S | Oppo BDP-203 | Apple TV 4k
_-______F: Polk RTi8 x 2 | C: Toby MPC-D x 1 | S: Polk LS50 x 2 | R: Polk TSi200 x 2 | Atmos: Onkyo SKH-410 x 2 | Sub: Toby D12-P (dual 12)
post #146 of 149 Old 01-05-2018, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post

Yes, I think some movies are overhyped sound wise, I have heard mad max in an audio shop and was not impressed, hired wonder women the other day and was one of the best I have heard on my system. Was underwhelmed with everest, gravity etc...

Yamaha Aventage 1060 receiver
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Klipsch Reference Series 280RP mains, 450RP centre, Polk Audio RT3 surrounds
Niles CM7 in-wall height speakers, SVS PB2000 subwoofer
Panasonic PTAE 4000 projector
post #147 of 149 Old 02-06-2018, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I currently own Fifth Element and Transformers both with the Dolby Atmos mix.

I have been doing alot of research to decide on my next blu-ray Atmos disc for testing/reference/enjoyment reasons.

I have decided on Mad Max: Fury Road as it received 100 score on here and other sites online give it a rave atmos review.

Please feel free to let me know if there is another movie I should be using instead? Sorry about Gravity but that movie was horrible so I wont be using that one.
muzz likes this.

LR= BP7004s/CLR2002/SuperCubeII/B&W-CCM684s/A-60s/Pio-SC-95

BR= SM350s/ProCenter1000/ProSub1000/SM350s/Pio-VSX-822
post #148 of 149 Old 02-09-2018, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Best 4K Atmos sound movie for ceiling sound demo?

What would be the Best4K Title for Atmos sound movie for ceiling sound demo?
post #149 of 149 Old 02-09-2018, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post
What would be the Best4K Title for Atmos sound movie for ceiling sound demo?
Greetings,

Blade Runner 2049 immediately comes to mind. Batman v. Superman Dawn of Justice, Deadpool, Mad Max: Fury Road, and Pacific Rim are top notch as well.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dolby atmos â?? , dolby atmos ~ , frontpage